PA 6/PA 8
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:01:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA 6/PA 8
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: PA 6/PA 8  (Read 41398 times)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2005, 03:42:59 PM »

I am very impressed by Patrick Murphy's website.  He seems to be running a very high-quality, high-energy campaign...

I am absolutely floored, meanwhile, by this murphycorps(http://www.murphy06.com/murphycorps.html)concept.  Maybe other campaigns do this, but I have not seen a concerted effort by campaigns to organize volunteers for the sake of community service.  I don't know how many people he's getting to sign up for this stuff, but it seems like a wonderful way to get publicity and to get young people involved in the campaign.

If Murphy keeps it up with his campaign tactics, I can really see him winning fairly easily, especially in what promises to be a trying environment for the PA GOP.

I will be meeting Patrick Murphy pretty shortly and maybe involved in MurphyCorps myself.  I'm actually a member of the Philly Young Democrats and we maybe getting involved considering PA 8 has a portion of Philadelphia.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2005, 11:51:57 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2005, 11:53:58 PM by Brian from Family Guy »

Well, I just met Patrick Murphy earlier tonight at a Young Dems fundraiser.  Yes he is charismatic and I think he has a good shot at the 8th district.  He talked a bit about his race.  Little too filrtatious with the ladies if I may give him one negative though.  Little too much of a charmer for my liking! Tongue    Also in attendance were Alan Sandals, Florence Cohen, and John Dougherty. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2005, 11:56:09 PM »

Do tell more.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2005, 12:05:16 AM »

Well I was actually impressed.  Thing is I would vote for him in a heartbeat if he had a chance and a national organization, which he doesn't.  I really want to support him, but I have to go with Casey over the f-ing namesake and money.  Such as life.  DRAFT HOEFFEL!
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2005, 11:47:57 PM »

Well I was actually impressed.  Thing is I would vote for him in a heartbeat if he had a chance and a national organization, which he doesn't.  I really want to support him, but I have to go with Casey over the f-ing namesake and money.  Such as life.  DRAFT HOEFFEL!

Is his platform any different from Penacchio's?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2005, 04:10:31 AM »

Is his platform any different from Penacchio's?

Not really, but he's a better speaker.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2006, 09:19:57 PM »

NATIONAL DEMOCRATS TARGET FITZPATRICK ON STEM CELL CHOICE - 3/27/2006

For Immediate Release March 27, 2006

NATIONAL DEMOCRATS TARGET FITZPATRICK ON STEM CELL CHOICE
Web Ad Highlights Fitzpatrick?s Opposition to Life-Saving Medical Research

Click Here to Find out More: http://www.dccc.org/video/fitzpatricks_choice.wmv

LEVITTOWN, PA?March 27, 2006?The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) today released a web ad targeting Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick for his opposition to stem cell research.

The ad, called ?Fitzpatrick?s Choice,? shows the wide range of support and far reaching benefits for stem cell research alongside Fitzpatrick?s stubborn and shortsighted stance. The ad also shows the company that Fitzpatrick keeps in opposing this vital research tool. He stands shoulder to shoulder with radical right figureheads like Pat Robertson, James Dobson and Tom DeLay.

?Mike Fitzpatrick gave his word to Jim Greenwood that he would keep an open mind about this issue, but when push came to shove, Mike voted against Pennsylvania families?and against good science,? said Patrick Murphy, an Iraq war veteran challenging Fitzpatrick in the 8th Congressional District. ?Jim Greenwood said he was disappointed in Mike?s stance, but the disappointment of thousands of Bucks County families waiting for a cure for diabetes, Alzheimer?s, Parkinson?s or spinal cord injury when their Congressman voted against their best hope for a cure.?

Fitzpatrick?s Anti-Stem Cell Record:

Fitzpatrick Voted Against Expanding Federal Stem Cell Research. In May 2005, Ferguson voted against the final passage of a bill to loosen restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, siding with social conservatives who call the research immoral over patients who have debilitating diseases. The bill would authorize research on embryos that would be discarded otherwise. [HR 810, Vote #204, 5/24/05; Los Angeles Times, 5/25/05; Chicago Tribune, 5/25/05]

Former 8th District Rep. Greenwood Criticizes Fitzpatrick for Voting Against Stem Cell Research. After announcing that he planned to vote against the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act, Fitzpatrick was criticized by former Congressman Jim Greenwood, who endorsed Fitzpatrick for the 8th District seat only after Fitzpatrick said he would keep an open mind about stem cell research. ?I?m very disappointed that he would take this position,? said Greenwood. [Bucks County Courier Times, 5/23/05]

Ad Facts:
The new DCCC web ad will be unveiled to spotlight Mike Fitzpatrick?s far-right stance on issues that Pennsylvania voters support. It will be available on the above link or at DCCC?s website (www.DCCC.org).

A large majority of Americans support more stem cell research, yet unbelievably, the Bush administration and the Republican Congress stand in the way of this potentially life saving medical research. The diseases that could be helped by stem cell research are diseases that many Americans are affected by and for those people, finding a cure for their loved ones could not be more important. For such diseases as juvenile diabetes, Parkinson?s, Alzheimer?s, spinal cord injury, stroke, birth defects and heart disease, the cure could be on the horizon but political ideology is obstinately standing in the way.

TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2006, 09:21:19 PM »

Note to the rest of the Forum: This will likely be the PA 13 thread of 2006!

Anyway, I think this could hurt Mike Fitzpatrick.  Though he is the 19th most vulnerable, it is quite possible this seat could flip.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2006, 09:34:22 PM »

Anyway, I think this could hurt Mike Fitzpatrick.  Though he is the 19th most vulnerable, it is quite possible this seat could flip.

It's not going to happen. Murphy is an attractive candidate but Fitz hasn't done anything extreme to get him kicked out. The national GOP/President Bush would have to actually sink lower than where they are now for him to lose just because of his party.

Plus, what you pointed out that could "hurt" Fitz won't be seen by many average voters. It's a web ad.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2006, 10:07:28 PM »

It's not going to happen. Murphy is an attractive candidate but Fitz hasn't done anything extreme to get him kicked out. The national GOP/President Bush would have to actually sink lower than where they are now for him to lose just because of his party.

Plus, what you pointed out that could "hurt" Fitz won't be seen by many average voters. It's a web ad.

Granted, though I would say in a district like this Bush's #'s as low as they are now make a flip because of Bush very boderline.  Also how the Stem Cell research issue plays out during the campaign could be a real problem for Fitz.  If Murphy's campaign makes this into a major issue it will really hurt Fitzpatrick
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2006, 06:16:39 PM »

Granted, though I would say in a district like this Bush's #'s as low as they are now make a flip because of Bush very boderline.  Also how the Stem Cell research issue plays out during the campaign could be a real problem for Fitz.  If Murphy's campaign makes this into a major issue it will really hurt Fitzpatrick

The caveat here is will Murphy make the same mistake Ginny Schrader did and hand out extremely pro-choice leaflets in heavily Catholic areas such as Parkwood and parts of lower Bucks County?  Since he grew up in Parkwood and having met him personally I think he won't make that mistake and has a much better chance than Ginny.  Despite Ginny's gross mismangement, Fitz did not do all that much better. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2006, 07:15:22 PM »

Throwing out Murphy's candidacy? - http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-03312006-634565.html
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2006, 07:42:03 PM »

Considering my lack of election law knowledge, I'm going to abstain from comment here until something further develops.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2006, 05:08:06 AM »

Pat Murphy looks like someone who will be biting the GOP on the ass for years to come. Veteran, young guy, increasingly liberal district.

Northern suburbs will be biting the GOP on the ass for years to come. The Southern Strategy has been too fully realized.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2006, 12:46:16 PM »

Murphy not strong enough for Dems in PA 8 - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/graphic/2006/04/13/GR2006041300147.html

...and I totally agree. He's very overrated.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2006, 05:09:30 PM »

Who else can the Dems have picked?  Robin Wiessman maybe the only one who can match Murphy at this point.

Also, PA 15 we're screwed anyway unless we pick Grucela.  Could have picked Rooney or Mann, but oh well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #141 on: April 15, 2006, 12:47:05 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2006, 01:42:05 AM by Keystone Phil »

Also, PA 15 we're screwed anyway unless we pick Grucela.  Could have picked Rooney or Mann, but oh well.

And you still would have lost with either of them (extremely overrated). The Dems couldn't get anyone to file by the deadline and you think they'll suddenly get someone serious like Grucela through a write in campaign? No, not happening. Right now they're trying to get Charles Dertinger, a Northampton County Council member. He'll get smoked.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #142 on: April 15, 2006, 04:26:27 PM »

Given that PA-15 is supposed to be marginal, I'm surprised Democrats have done so poorly in trying to win it back.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2006, 08:08:49 PM »

Given that PA-15 is supposed to be marginal, I'm surprised Democrats have done so poorly in trying to win it back.

PA 15 has always been an Achilles' Heel for us on the local level.  Dems should spend resources elsewhere on places such as PA 6, PA 7, and PA 8 which are getting more liberal by the minute.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2006, 05:39:27 PM »

I was watching the brief Election 2006 segment on Action News earlier and got to see some coverage of the PA 8 race. Andy Warren is now claiming to be two points behind Pat Murphy in the race for the Democratic nomination. The only thing is...the poll was done by Zogby. Atleast it's some type of poll about this race though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2006, 07:15:59 PM »

The days are winding down. The PA 6 primary will be very boring but PA 8 is going to be fun. One poll showed that it's close while another shows Murphy smashing Warren big time. I noticed a few Murphy signs go up in his old neighborhood (around my school) so it reminded me to ask for some commentary here especially from Flyers. He's working with Murphy so I thought he'd have some insight. I'll be posting my predictions for all of the major races being held on Tuesday over the weekend.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2006, 05:51:59 PM »

I think Murphy is gonna win this albeit narrowly.  Andy Warren was once Commish, but Pat Murphy has youth, charisma, and a law degree.  He is clearly the better candidate to beat Fitz come fall.  Andy Warren seems more pissed off his party dissed him.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2006, 07:07:44 PM »

Andy Warren seems more pissed off his party dissed him.

Well, we all know that is the case. He'll talk about leaving the GOP because of "Tom DeLay type Republicans" and all the corruption but the real reason is because the local GOP passed on him when it came down to filling Greenwood's seat. Though I'd kind of fear him in the General because of his name recognition and popularity as a former Commissioner, Fitz could use point that Warren is just a crybaby who didn't get his way in the party.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2006, 10:27:41 PM »

Andy Warren seems more pissed off his party dissed him.

Well, we all know that is the case. He'll talk about leaving the GOP because of "Tom DeLay type Republicans" and all the corruption but the real reason is because the local GOP passed on him when it came down to filling Greenwood's seat. Though I'd kind of fear him in the General because of his name recognition and popularity as a former Commissioner, Fitz could use point that Warren is just a crybaby who didn't get his way in the party.

Would you fear Warren or Murphy more in the general?  This is not exactly a no-brainer because in political circles/fundraising, Pat Murphy is kicking ass, yet Warren has name rec.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2006, 11:16:28 PM »

Would you fear Warren or Murphy more in the general?  This is not exactly a no-brainer because in political circles/fundraising, Pat Murphy is kicking ass, yet Warren has name rec.

I have struggled with this question for awhile now. Both are strong in certain areas and I worry at times but there are other times when I think that it doesn't matter that much. I am confident that Fitz will win but still worry, in the back of my head, about the strengths of the two opponents.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies