Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:27:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 303736 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2200 on: September 06, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »

Wasn't yesterday inauguration day for the new Senate?

Yep. Normally I post a warning that such is coming but what little time I had on Thursday, was expended playing catch up after being unable to get on at all for a week.

Indeed, I knew I was supposed to swear-in earlier in the week, but I got a bit distracted... I've also sent a message to the rest of the At-Large Senators so we can swear-in as soon as possible.

Nah you were supposed to swear in yesterday at noon. Tongue
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2201 on: September 06, 2014, 09:06:29 PM »

The War Powers amendment has FAILED in the IDS.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2202 on: November 11, 2014, 07:15:40 PM »

PAID FOR BY CITIZENS FOR GOOD GOVERNMENT
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2203 on: January 03, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »

Just to inform everyone senate control now passes to Yankee in his capacity as most senior senator until the election of the next speaker
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2204 on: January 28, 2015, 10:21:37 PM »

It is shocking to see the Senate could suspend the rules to retroactively consider an amendment successfully passing when at the time it was closed there were not enough votes to pass it.

I am doing this on the advice of the supreme court to avoid a legal debate over whether a 2/3rds majority of voting senators or a 2/3rds majority of all sitting senators  is needed to pass an amendment.

I hope the Supreme Court didn't explicitly told you to suspend the rules and count one more vote after the fact. 
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2205 on: January 28, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »

Nobody cares poirot
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2206 on: January 28, 2015, 10:34:32 PM »

It's sad that s small group of people can run things as they please.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2207 on: January 29, 2015, 08:30:11 AM »

quote author=oakvale link=topic=205886.msg4467906#msg4467906 date=1422478263]
Official Atlasia Supreme Court Release
Nyman, DC

Notice of Dismissal

After consideration of the petitioner's arguments, the Supreme Court of Atlasia has declined to grant certiorari to hear the question of whether the passage of a constitutional amendment with six votes in favour was in violation of the Constitution of Atlasia.

We see no reason that this matter cannot be addressed internally, as outlined by the Speaker, and the Court would prefer that questions of Senate procedure be handled internally unless there is a clear and compelling wider public interest and a clear conflict relating to the constitutional particulars. In this instance, we see no compelling reason for the Court to intervene as opposed to a resolution to the issue enacted under the auspices of the office of Speaker.

The case is dismissed.
[/quote]
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2208 on: January 29, 2015, 11:50:44 PM »

I don't know why they don't want to come out and explain 6 is not 7. Since they don't want to settle the issue and throw back the ball to the Senate, maybe they expect the amendment be declared void because there was a problem in the voting process.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2209 on: February 06, 2015, 12:51:55 PM »

The President using the state of emergency reason to propose the electoral reform amendment is a bit of a stretch in my opinion in the definition of state of emergency. I view a legislative emergency as a quick need to repair an important loophole in a law, or pass a law to solve something that is stopping the game from moving. Election reform is not a "state of emergency". It looks more like state of emergency means whatever the President wants. 
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2210 on: February 06, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »

Well, for me said reform is urgent.

The fact remains that most people seem dissafected with the current system for At-Large Senate races and would like some actions on that front, the commission has worked hard and they have crafted a proposal, and since I had the chance of sending said proposal to the floor right away instead of waiting for a long time I certainly wasn't going to delay it.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2211 on: February 06, 2015, 04:53:14 PM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2212 on: February 06, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »

Things are so testy around here these days!
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2213 on: February 08, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »

The Civil rights acts of 2014 under consideration in the Senate has a provision on jury selection. I'll quote the redraft version proposal:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Perhaps this is jury composition in theory but will this really change the way jury is selected in the game? Jurors are selected at random at the moment. Will the Civil rights act change that and will the census need to be expanded to gather data on gender and ethnicity.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2214 on: February 08, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »

The Civil rights acts of 2014 under consideration in the Senate has a provision on jury selection. I'll quote the redraft version proposal:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Perhaps this is jury composition in theory but will this really change the way jury is selected in the game? Jurors are selected at random at the moment. Will the Civil rights act change that and will the census need to be expanded to gather data on gender and ethnicity.

This is an interesting point.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2215 on: February 08, 2015, 12:13:23 PM »

The Jury Reform Act states

2. Jury selection shall be random

so if this Act is the most recent on this topic and still in place, some modification could be needed.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Jury_Reform_Act
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2216 on: February 08, 2015, 12:30:18 PM »

Will this mean Simfan has to serve on every jury now?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #2217 on: February 08, 2015, 04:04:27 PM »

Are we allowed to discuss bills currently up for debate here?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2218 on: February 08, 2015, 04:25:21 PM »

Yes, here everybody can discuss Senate issues freely. It is usually accepted for a citizen to post in a senate bill if you have a concern but I'm not a Senate official. If you want to make sure Senators read your post, maybe directly in the Senate bill is better.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2219 on: February 08, 2015, 04:26:32 PM »

Yes, here everybody can discuss Senate issues freely. It is usually accepted for a citizen to post in a senate bill if you have a concern but I'm not a Senate official.

Awesome.  Thanks!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2220 on: February 08, 2015, 04:48:29 PM »

As a concerned citizen of Atlasia, I would like to take my opportunity to express my concern for the current budget figures being debated in the Senate.

My greatest concerns are the low spending we have with regards to the Atlasian Navy and space.

Naval supremacy is the backbone of our armed forces; as stated by Admiral Trost, "When a crisis confronts the nation, the first question asked by policy makers is: 'What naval forces are available and how fast can they be on station?'"

With the end of the Cold War, we have seen a reasonable decline in our navy, from a peak of nearly 600 ships.  Yet the decline has continued at a concerning pace, where our naval forces have dwindled to less than half that number.  The Nimitz was retired prior to its replacement, the Gerald R. Ford, being rendered combat-ready.  This concerns me a great deal, as the forces of terror and jihad rage across the globe, particularly with the rise of the ISIS threat.  Yet we must not neglect other groups which are hostile to the forces of freedom, all of which pose a threat to national security and our allies around the world.  Our navy is the backbone of our global military supremacy, and is vital in our struggle to root out the forces of evil, and allows us to do so without regard to if they operate within our own borders or on the other side of the world.

Moreover, our space program has been vital in the development all sorts of technology, with military and civilian applications.  Spin-off technologies from the space program has given us commonplace items such as artificial hearts, automatic insulin pumps, breast cancer screenings, emissions testing, x-rays, microlasers, protective clothing, cybernetic arms and hands, ultrasounds, satellite television, and more.  They also inspired a generation of innovators such as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

The economic implications of ignoring space are not yet known, but it would be a tragedy if we wait around to find out.  I would implore our senators to consider increased funding of space from $15 billion, less than .5% of our proposed budget, to $30 billion.  Such an increase would represent less than 1% of each federal dollar spent in the budget.  Surely we can afford this investment, which would allow us to more quickly return to the moon, construct a lunar base, and use said base as a launchpad for a human mission to Mars.  It would allow for human adventure and exploration, and untold economic implications from spin-offs, space tourism, and more.  Space has represented the greatest return on investment for any federal program thus far.  Let's get back on the path of exploration and innovation.  Let's start this year.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2221 on: February 09, 2015, 12:05:46 AM »

I'd like to remind you that the Atlasian space program was actually INCREASED from $9 Billion to $15 Billion thanks to a bill I wrote.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #2222 on: February 09, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »

I'd like to discuss the Wrong Choice Amendment here.

I think that by this moment, the Senate is ready to reject it. I also think that 2 hours is too much time for a change in the ballot. But what about 90 minutes? Or 1 hour? I think 1 hour would ultimately be a good compromise, just to adjust a few mistakes made.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2223 on: February 09, 2015, 04:28:33 PM »

I think that by this moment, the Senate is ready to reject it. I also think that 2 hours is too much time for a change in the ballot. But what about 90 minutes? Or 1 hour? I think 1 hour would ultimately be a good compromise, just to adjust a few mistakes made.
Well, the problem is that I don't see a single reason to change this system.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #2224 on: February 09, 2015, 04:38:38 PM »

Well, the problem is that I don't see a single reason to change this system.

The system wouldn't change, only the timing. Just a little "opportunity", that's it, benefiting beginners overall.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies