UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:50:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28
Author Topic: UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)  (Read 86755 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: July 05, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »

The Monster Raving Loony Party... any chance of them saving their deposit?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #626 on: July 05, 2019, 01:25:10 PM »

Very little, I would say.

Their best ever performance remains 4% at the Rotherham byelection in 1994.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #627 on: July 05, 2019, 05:58:58 PM »

The Monster Raving Loony Party... any chance of them saving their deposit?

The real question is whether UKIP will beat them.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #628 on: July 22, 2019, 06:05:41 AM »

Number Cruncher Politics poll of Brecon & Radnorshire, carried out 10-18th July.

Jane Dodds (Liberal Democrat)   43% (+14%)
Christopher Davies (Conservative) 28% (-21%)
Des Parkinson (The Brexit Party)   20% (+20%)
Tom Davies (Labour)   8% (-10%)
Lady Lily Pink (Monster Raving Loony Party)   1% (+1%)
Liz Phillips (UKIP) 1%   (=)

https://www.ncpolitics.uk/2019/07/advantage-lib-dems-at-the-brecon-by-election/
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #629 on: July 22, 2019, 09:46:01 AM »

I don't buy by elections polls as a rule, but if I was to have made a prediction it would be close to that (although I'm thinking a bit lower for Labour and Brexit, higher for the Tories and Libs).

Also the Tory MP for the marginal seat of Dover, Charlie Elphicke, has just been charged with multiple counts of sexual assault. At this point, I imagine a snap election is going to preempt the potential process of conviction/recall/by-election campaign, but Dover would be a hugely symbolic by-election amidst the Brexit chaos, for obvious reasons and could potentially be won by the Tories, Labour or Brexit.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #630 on: July 22, 2019, 09:57:40 AM »

Re Elphicke; remember the matter is sub judice.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #631 on: July 22, 2019, 01:41:25 PM »

Lady Lily Pink (Monster Raving Loony Party)   1% (+1%)
Liz Phillips (UKIP) 1%   (=)

Oof
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #632 on: July 27, 2019, 08:01:06 AM »

Jared O'Mara is thinking of resigning after the summer recess, according to the Sheffield Star.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #633 on: July 27, 2019, 09:51:33 AM »

Jared O'Mara is thinking of resigning after the summer recess, according to the Sheffield Star.

The statement says he will resign once the recess is over, so that suggests a Sheffield Hallam by-election in early October.  (I don't think it can happen before then.) It may be overtaken by a General Election as happened in Manchester Gorton, but if it doesn't I expect an easy Lib Dem gain.  I am leaning towards voting for them myself.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #634 on: July 27, 2019, 09:52:27 AM »

If Labour can convince Oliver Coppard to stand they might be in with a chance, otherwise it would probably be a pretty easy gain for the Lib Dems
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #635 on: July 27, 2019, 10:43:02 AM »

If Labour can convince Oliver Coppard to stand they might be in with a chance, otherwise it would probably be a pretty easy gain for the Lib Dems

Coppard - who is Jewish - does not have a great relationship with Hallam CLP at present and does not have a high opinion of the national leadership. On a purely human level, he now has a worthwhile job that he seems to find satisfying, so...
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #636 on: July 27, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »

Coppard - who is Jewish - does not have a great relationship with Hallam CLP at present and does not have a high opinion of the national leadership. On a purely human level, he now has a worthwhile job that he seems to find satisfying, so...

A fact I was unaware of.

In which case this is probably the Lib Dems to lose, with the double caveat that if anyone could cock it up it would be them, and that idiot remainers voting Labour are the most difficult voting group in the country to predict.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #637 on: July 27, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »

It is a local tragedy that he didn't beat Clegg in 2015.

If only Tory voters there had been a bit less cynical.......
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #638 on: July 27, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »

He's said he doesn't want to stand at the moment, which is a shame; he was a very good candidate in 2015 and while that doesn't necessarily mean he'd have been a good MP I think he would have been.  Anyway, both Labour and the Lib Dems have candidates selected so there isn't much point speculating.  The Lib Dems' is Laura Gordon and Labour's is Olivia Blake, a leading figure on Sheffield City Council and councillor for Walkley (in Central constituency).

(I first typed "leafing figure" there, which would have been an amusing typo in context.  And that might indicate a further problem for Labour beyond Br*x*t, anti-Semitism and the 2017 candidate selection.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #639 on: July 27, 2019, 12:41:20 PM »

Running part of the Machine in this part of the city is... courageous.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #640 on: July 27, 2019, 03:23:14 PM »

The local CLP membership must have seen something good in her, one charitably presumes.

(and of course they never picked O'Mara, as I have seen some inaccurately assert)
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #641 on: July 28, 2019, 12:42:14 AM »

The local CLP membership must have seen something good in her, one charitably presumes.

(and of course they never picked O'Mara, as I have seen some inaccurately assert)

I'm not aware of anything particularly against Blake herself, but I expect her position on the Council to be used against her.  You are right about O'Mara of course; that's down to the national Labour party rushing the selections in seats they didn't think were winnable (which given expectations at the time of selection meant pretty much everywhere not already held).  Lessons do appear to have been learned; lots of selections have already happened.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #642 on: July 29, 2019, 04:25:28 PM »

At what time approximately will the declaration be made?
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #643 on: July 31, 2019, 04:51:12 PM »

Does anyone know whether the Twitter rumours that the LDs are in trouble tomorrow have any basis? Obviously its Twitter so I'm taking it all with a tanker-load of salt but there's a sad lack of surprise to the whole thing that's making me a bit wary.

Or I'm just reading too deeply into stupid rumours on social media like an idiot.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #644 on: July 31, 2019, 05:05:11 PM »

Does anyone know whether the Twitter rumours that the LDs are in trouble tomorrow have any basis? Obviously its Twitter so I'm taking it all with a tanker-load of salt but there's a sad lack of surprise to the whole thing that's making me a bit wary.

Or I'm just reading too deeply into stupid rumours on social media like an idiot.

Often hard to be sure with these things, though one thing you can't rule out is that it is expectation management from the LibDems. One thing to note is that campaigns never know exactly how things are going until the votes are actually counted (canvassing is at best impressionistic), but journalists always insist on reporting as if this is not so.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #645 on: July 31, 2019, 05:06:50 PM »

I think it's just anxiety. The betting markets went a little crazy for a while, putting the odds of a Tory hold as low as 2-3%, which was always overstating things. That's pulled back somewhat, but it doesn't seem like the fundamentals have changed much. Projecting too much confidence is risky, since it causes complacency among your voters. I don't think the LDs have this in the bag, but I don't think anything has changed since a week or two ago, either, when people seemed very confident in the LDs' chances. It's worth pointing out that Paddy Ashdown declared on the day of the Newbury by-election that it was a close-fought, very uncertain race... the Lib Dems won by nearly 40 points.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #646 on: July 31, 2019, 06:16:24 PM »

The clinching thing for me is that the Tories don't seem to be busting a gut to try and hold this - even the new PM's flying visit yesterday seemed a distinctly perfunctory affair.

Maybe the only thing that could cause a shock Tory hold is the Labour vote holding up rather better "than expected", and whilst nothing should be ruled out in these contests that does seem unlikely.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #647 on: August 01, 2019, 01:24:35 AM »

Apparently around dawn as it is a rather large rural area, or so says Andrew
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #648 on: August 01, 2019, 01:52:43 AM »

I think it's just anxiety. The betting markets went a little crazy for a while, putting the odds of a Tory hold as low as 2-3%, which was always overstating things. That's pulled back somewhat, but it doesn't seem like the fundamentals have changed much. Projecting too much confidence is risky, since it causes complacency among your voters. I don't think the LDs have this in the bag, but I don't think anything has changed since a week or two ago, either, when people seemed very confident in the LDs' chances. It's worth pointing out that Paddy Ashdown declared on the day of the Newbury by-election that it was a close-fought, very uncertain race... the Lib Dems won by nearly 40 points.

The clinching thing for me is that the Tories don't seem to be busting a gut to try and hold this - even the new PM's flying visit yesterday seemed a distinctly perfunctory affair.

Maybe the only thing that could cause a shock Tory hold is the Labour vote holding up rather better "than expected", and whilst nothing should be ruled out in these contests that does seem unlikely.

Agreed on all counts. A runaway Lib Dem win was never really in the cards. This is still, after all, a seat in rural Wales with a long history of electing Tories. Nevertheless, the Tory candidate is about as flawed as you can get and the conditions under which the by-election were called are about as good for a challenger as they could possible be. Add to that the maneuvering of the other parties (Labour phoning it in; PC and Greens standing down; Brexit Party persevering) and you've got a lot that points to a Lib Dem victory.

I'm curious about what the received wisdom from the results will end up being. Depending on who wins, by how much, and where the runners-up land, a lot of not necessarily mutually exclusive narratives could gain traction: 'The Lib Dems are the real opposition now'; 'The Brexit Party has to fold to avoid splitting the vote'; 'Johnson is a miracle worker'. Any others I missed?
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #649 on: August 01, 2019, 05:31:04 PM »

Apparently around dawn as it is a rather large rural area, or so says Andrew

Saw a tweet from a channel 4 reporter who figured it would be around 2:30-3 UK time (6:30-7 PM Pacific, 9:30-10 Eastern).
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies