Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:45:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 78
Author Topic: Gallup Tracking Poll Thread [Obama vs McCain]  (Read 303148 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: October 14, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »

LV (new voter formula)
Obama 53
McCain 43

LV (traditional)
Obama 51
McCain 45

which one is better?

Since they really don't describe how they come to a determination, it is hard for me to say what exactly the method is and why one should be better.  My question for Vorlon to ask Gallup is which of the 13 questions do they remove in the new model.

I note that the traditional determination (for today) produces a 76.6% RV turnout, whereas the new voter model produces an 82.0% RV turnout.

RV turnout in 2004 was 72.9%.  Therefore, I would tend to go with the traditional model.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1426 on: October 14, 2008, 12:40:28 PM »

LV (new voter formula)
Obama 53
McCain 43

LV (traditional)
Obama 51
McCain 45

which one is better?

Since they really don't describe how they come to a determination, it is hard for me to say what exactly the method is and why one should be better.  My question for Vorlon to ask Gallup is which of the 13 questions do they remove in the new model.

I note that the traditional determination (for today) produces a 76.6% RV turnout, whereas the new voter model produces an 82.0% RV turnout.

RV turnout in 2004 was 72.9%.  Therefore, I would tend to go with the traditional model.

yes, and given the excitement in the GOP base for Palin, I would think it's closer to the traditional model.

Obama has shattered the blindness he once preached of ending the war and bringing all the troops home, so I think the youth vote (which rarely materializes anyway) is not going to markedly increase over 2004 levels.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1427 on: October 14, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »

J. J.'s Second Rule.  Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1428 on: October 14, 2008, 02:14:52 PM »

Your rule says that people aren't allowed to guess that turnout levels will be the same as 2004 and no substantial hidden groups will emerge?  I thought it said the opposite.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1429 on: October 14, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »

LV (new voter formula)
Obama 53
McCain 43

LV (traditional)
Obama 51
McCain 45

which one is better?

yes, and given the excitement in the GOP base for Palin, I would think it's closer to the traditional model.

Obama has shattered the blindness he once preached of ending the war and bringing all the troops home, so I think the youth vote (which rarely materializes anyway) is not going to markedly increase over 2004 levels.
Yeah, youth voters are hardly single issue. They still care about the environment, the economy, healthcare, education, etc. and they're still pretty damn excited.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1430 on: October 14, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »

Your rule says that people aren't allowed to guess that turnout levels will be the same as 2004 and no substantial hidden groups will emerge?  I thought it said the opposite.

J. J.'s Second Rule of Elections:  "When a politician or activist talks about a large group of voters that, a. aren't being polled, or b. really going to turn out and swing the election, there is no such group."
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1431 on: October 14, 2008, 04:26:48 PM »

J. J.'s Second Rule of Elections:  "When a politician or activist talks about a large group of voters that, a. aren't being polled, or b. really going to turn out and swing the election, there is no such group."

All someone did was say that they did *not* see any increased relative youth turnout... what group are you seeing? 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1432 on: October 14, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »

All someone did was say that they did *not* see any increased relative youth turnout... what group are you seeing? 

"b. really going to turn out and swing the election"

This rule was proven incorrect when John Kerry carried Florida in 2004.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1433 on: October 14, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »

"b. really going to turn out and swing the election"

This rule was proven incorrect when John Kerry carried Florida in 2004.

I'm still confused.  Quote me the post in this thread you're talking about... because all I see is this, right before your posst:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm just trying out if your rule now applies to the inverse of your rule so I can avoid breaking it! We can't say that things will turnout and we can't say that they probably won't turnout now?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1434 on: October 14, 2008, 04:50:49 PM »

These:

LV (new voter formula)
Obama 53
McCain 43

LV (traditional)
Obama 51
McCain 45

which one is better?

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #1435 on: October 14, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »

Except this is a special case because they are being polled, but the pollsters can't bring themselves to believe that they'll actually vote even though they say they will. So they hedge their bets and include two poll results, one if they do vote, and one if they don't.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1436 on: October 14, 2008, 08:42:31 PM »

Except this is a special case because they are being polled, but the pollsters can't bring themselves to believe that they'll actually vote even though they say they will. So they hedge their bets and include two poll results, one if they do vote, and one if they don't.

Then they are being polled, aren't they?  Smiley
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1437 on: October 15, 2008, 10:16:53 AM »

From what I can tell it is the McCain supporters who are talking about an unpolled group, or the racists within their hoped for Bradley effect. The 'new voters' and 'young voters' seem to be showing up now in Gallups 'expanded' likely voter model.

Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1438 on: October 15, 2008, 10:32:38 AM »

From what I can tell it is the McCain supporters who are talking about an unpolled group, or the racists within their hoped for Bradley effect. The 'new voters' and 'young voters' seem to be showing up now in Gallups 'expanded' likely voter model.

I would be very careful about any assumptions of any kind.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1439 on: October 15, 2008, 12:10:07 PM »

October 15, 2008

RV
Obama 50 (-1)
McCain 43 (+1)

LV (new voter formula)
Obama 52 (-1)
McCain 44 (+1)

LV (traditional)
Obama 49 (-2)
McCain 46 (+1)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1440 on: October 15, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »

Probably at least partly due to Obama's weekend bounce dropping out. 

Keep cool everyone. 
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1441 on: October 15, 2008, 12:21:31 PM »

October 15, 2008

RV
Obama 50 (-1)
McCain 43 (+1)

LV (new voter formula)
Obama 52 (-1)
McCain 44 (+1)

LV (traditional)
Obama 49 (-2)
McCain 46 (+1)

Please don't give me reason to wish.  I was content with hopelessness.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1442 on: October 15, 2008, 12:38:21 PM »

Is there someone keeping track of the days who can tell whether this was likely to be a bad sample or if it has any significance?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #1443 on: October 15, 2008, 12:46:01 PM »

Is there someone keeping track of the days who can tell whether this was likely to be a bad sample or if it has any significance?

Swedes live in the future... you tell us!

/Lametimezonejoke

Even a day that looks like an outlier may not be one. I'm not saying it isn't, though.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1444 on: October 15, 2008, 01:02:57 PM »

I personally suspect the sample dropping off tomorrow is a pro-Obama sample, but with the Dow doing as it is today, it may be replaced by a similar one.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #1445 on: October 15, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »

I personally suspect the sample dropping off tomorrow is a pro-Obama sample, but with the Dow doing as it is today, it may be replaced by a similar one.

Yikes, just Google Finance-d the Dow.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1446 on: October 15, 2008, 04:21:48 PM »

October 15, 2008

RV
Obama 50 (-1)
McCain 43 (+1)

LV (new voter formula)
Obama 52 (-1)
McCain 44 (+1)

LV (traditional)
Obama 49 (-2)
McCain 46 (+1)

Boo!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1447 on: October 15, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »

Yikes, just Google Finance-d the Dow.

I guess we know what the first debate question will refer to...
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1448 on: October 15, 2008, 06:21:16 PM »

Obama is up by only 3 in the second likely voter model!
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #1449 on: October 15, 2008, 06:32:53 PM »

Obama is up by only 3 in the second likely voter model!

Add the M.O.E. plus the unknown bradley effect which there MAY or MAY NOT be...Well you do the math Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies