To those that know about my "situation"...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 07:13:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  To those that know about my "situation"...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: To those that know about my "situation"...  (Read 19470 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2008, 01:58:20 AM »

You know, at some point Phil, you're going to have to learn to talk to women.  The first few times you're bound to come off looking like an imbecile, but after that you'll only get better and you'll figure out the tricks.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #151 on: December 13, 2008, 02:27:27 AM »

You know, at some point Phil, you're going to have to learn to talk to women.  The first few times you're bound to come off looking like an imbecile, but after that you'll only get better and you'll figure out the tricks.

Yeah, I know, but it's not like I have avoided it my entire life. I'm shy to begin with but I've also had some pretty embarrassing experiences when it comes to telling certain girls that I like them. I tended to like the very popular, out of my league types in grade school. It was always "so cute" but nothing more to them. My crushes became the worst kept secrets in my grade.

There was also a really humiliating moment a few years ago. It's funny because of how it ended up years later but it was still an embarrassing (and also pretty damn mean) moment. I have never really told people because it really sucked.

I know it can't be, "Awww, poor Phil" for the rest of my life with women but at least it's not just me acting like a coward.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #152 on: December 13, 2008, 02:31:25 AM »

Maybe you try to be too friendly. Everyone knows that deep down women like to be treated like sh**t and bossed around. The "nice guy" is always cute but nothing more.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #153 on: December 13, 2008, 11:42:56 AM »

Maybe you try to be too friendly. Everyone knows that deep down women like to be treated like sh**t and bossed around. The "nice guy" is always cute but nothing more.

Ah, yes. And I've always wondered why our divorce rate is around 50%. Great advice.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2008, 11:46:39 AM »

I'm shy to begin with but I've also had some pretty embarrassing experiences when it comes to telling certain girls that I like them. I tended to like the very popular, out of my league types in grade school. It was always "so cute" but nothing more to them. My crushes became the worst kept secrets in my grade.

Why do you have to tell them that you like them? Couldn't you just flirt with them and then once they've gotten to know you, ask them out?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »

I'm shy to begin with but I've also had some pretty embarrassing experiences when it comes to telling certain girls that I like them. I tended to like the very popular, out of my league types in grade school. It was always "so cute" but nothing more to them. My crushes became the worst kept secrets in my grade.

Why do you have to tell them that you like them? Couldn't you just flirt with them and then once they've gotten to know you, ask them out?

I'm not saying that I have to tell them my feelings right away. I'm still nervous though. I think she may have an idea that I like her. I see her around at times and she probably notices me looking at her. The other day in the computer lab, I looked over and she was about to sit down at a computer. We made eye contact for a second or two and then I turned my head immediately. I think that was probably a weird sign to her.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »

I'm not saying that I have to tell them my feelings right away. I'm still nervous though. I think she may have an idea that I like her. I see her around at times and she probably notices me looking at her. The other day in the computer lab, I looked over and she was about to sit down at a computer. We made eye contact for a second or two and then I turned my head immediately. I think that was probably a weird sign to her.

Not necessarily... If you were at the computer lab working on a paper it would actually be fairly normal behavior to glance over and look when someone sits down nearby. It would be a little stranger to stare at her for 5-10 seconds.

If you do get to sit next to her during the finals, asking her if she is planning on taking "Class X" next term with the same professor would certainly be a way to break the ice in a non-threatening manner. You could then bring up your major, ask what her major is, talk about school, etc which will lay the groundwork for starting a conversation next time you see her, since it probably won't go much further than that on finals day with vacation coming up... although hopefully it will and if we don't see you around on this board for a few weeks over the break that will be a good sign Wink
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2008, 12:15:35 PM »

Not necessarily... If you were at the computer lab working on a paper it would actually be fairly normal behavior to glance over and look when someone sits down nearby. It would be a little stranger to stare at her for 5-10 seconds.

It's not just that. I sat next to her in the lobby for an hour after our final class before Thanksgiving break. That seemed out of place since I haven't sat down to read in the lobby in a very long time.  Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Haha! Don't hold your breath, Phil haters (not directed at you, my friend)! I told people here before that getting somewhere with this girl is in everyone's best interest. Could you imagine me being more pleasant than I already am?  Wink
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »

Ah, yes. And I've always wondered why our divorce rate is around 50%. Great advice.

Here's my ranking order of this situation:

GETS ASS:
#1:  Nice Guys
#2:  Jerks
DOESN'T GET ASS:
#10000:  "Needy" Guys

Problem is most guys can't differentiate between #1 and 10000 including myself at times.  #1 means you're interested, but not overly and if she doesn't respond.. oh well.. move on.. NEXT! 
Best is "active disinterest".  You have to bust on them a little, but not come on too strong. 

I may not know relationships, but I know failure and why.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »

She probably takes it as a compliment, if anything.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »

Very true. Bad Advice.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »

"Nice guys" get tail in the north? Wow. Down here, nice guys get nowhere except maybe to the "friend" stage.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2008, 06:39:48 PM »

"Nice guys" get tail in the north? Wow. Down here, nice guys get nowhere except maybe to the "friend" stage.

Maybe it's just me. But it's always seemed to me that being nice, doing nice things for girls and giving them appropriate compliments is always the best way to get ahead.

Or maybe they just want to get in my pants so bad that they'll suck up to anything I say.

Wink J.K.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2008, 06:41:11 PM »

Or maybe they just want to get in my pants so bad that they'll suck up to anything I say.

Wink J.K.

Oh, come on. Can you at least let me keep my attention whore thread about me please?
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2008, 06:43:40 PM »

Well...

Then maybe she'll just think you want to get into her pants when you go up and talk to her because she might have that same theory. So there! Take that!

Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2008, 06:53:32 PM »

Thus, societal rules force it upon the male to make a move into the fog of war in order to reach success in life (family-wise).

It's not societal rules that force this, it's evolution.  Women have all the reproductive power; the fact that we have to beg leave of them to please seduce them is a result of this.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2008, 07:59:32 PM »

Well, regardless of what makes us do this (I might argue that evolution influences norms/societal rules, but whatever), guys are not allowed to find out for sure that she likes me first before asking someone out in these types of situations.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2008, 10:52:43 PM »

Yes, very true.  The bane of our existence Sad
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #168 on: December 14, 2008, 02:42:51 AM »

Wink J.K.

Oh, come on. Can you at least let me keep my attention whore thread about me please?

maybe it could help if you imagined yourself in her shoes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »

maybe it could help if you imagined yourself in her shoes.

...which never works. There are too many different types of personalities. She could love the attention or be totally creeped out or not care one way or the other.

It boils down to me sucking it up and taking risks. It's been that way all along. I've just wanted people to understand why it is a little more intimidating for me.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »

Here's my ranking order of this situation:

GETS ASS:
#1:  Nice Guys
#2:  Jerks
DOESN'T GET ASS:
#10000:  "Needy" Guys

Problem is most guys can't differentiate between #1 and 10000 including myself at times.  #1 means you're interested, but not overly and if she doesn't respond.. oh well.. move on.. NEXT! 
Best is "active disinterest".  You have to bust on them a little, but not come on too strong. 

I may not know relationships, but I know failure and why.

Actually, this is pretty good advice.  I support it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2008, 01:05:21 AM »

So today is probably my last big chance. Keep me in your thoughts, wish me luck, whatever. I know that may seem silly since there are so many other things to be concerned about in this world but this means a lot to me.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2008, 01:27:47 AM »

So today is probably my last big chance. Keep me in your thoughts, wish me luck, whatever. I know that may seem silly since there are so many other things to be concerned about in this world but this means a lot to me.

You will be in my thoughts. In fact, the forum is always in my thoughts during English exams tomorrow!

I really hope than you will succeed. There will be less Republicans on the forum. I would like than everybody here was happy. Almost everybody is kind and interesting.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2008, 02:09:21 AM »

Good luck! Don't tuck your tail and run.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2008, 02:18:53 AM »

Wink

Oh, I won't disappear, my friend. I will be a lot kinder though. I think I handle people pretty well here (though many would strongly disagree) but I'd probably find a way to be extra kind to even the biggest assholes.  Smiley  I would make Rin Chan look like Stalin.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies