NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 05:24:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24
Author Topic: NATIONAL GOVERNOR/OTHER RESULTS THREAD (LATE RESULTS/POSTMORTEM)  (Read 59481 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: November 03, 2010, 06:56:54 AM »

I hope Kitzhaber pulls it out.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #301 on: November 03, 2010, 07:20:59 AM »

it will very very very close...
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #302 on: November 03, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »

I bet on Folley, considering his actual advantage and that the last votes to be reported will be +- equal...

Polls were correct here !
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #303 on: November 03, 2010, 07:48:46 AM »

and for ME, Lepage, for the same reasons...
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #304 on: November 03, 2010, 07:53:49 AM »

WIthout rubio on the ballot, Sink would have won...
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #305 on: November 03, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »

Happy for Perry! Medias wanted him to lose but like again, he wins big... God bless Texas !
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #306 on: November 03, 2010, 08:10:21 AM »

VERMONT! I knew it was the best state ever. You rock, Vermont, and yeah, you should secede.

As for Maine, ugh, have fun with the lunatic governor, folks. And thanks for making he ashamed of being French.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #307 on: November 03, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2010, 08:12:54 AM by PA Pub Sweep »

Corbett ran a masterful campaign, and Onorato ran one of the worst I've seen in a while.

Onorato forgot that he won two terms as County Executive on an aggressive positive message of CHANGE......all he did was try and crucify Corbett and he didn't talk about what HE wanted to do nearly enough.  It soured me to the point I voted for Corbett because going in I was strong lean Onorato.

Corbett's campaign began before the campaign when he went on a jihad against corrupt state legislators (which continues to this day).....he put a couple of the scumballs in jail and more await their ticket to the slammer (most notably Republican Perzell of Philly).....people like that......a lot.  Sure he got cries that it was all politics and it was politics.....just not all politics.  He's also been a very aggressive and effective AG.......Spitzer(esque) just squeaky clean.

Many western PA folks didn't know he was from Allegheny County.....(he lives about 2 miles from me in the same Township)....he hammered that home to the point people realized it was a race between 2 Pittsburghers.  Obviously he didn't run that message in the East but it was effective here.

He also did a masterful job of tying Onorato to Bugsy Rendell......and the fact that both chambers of the PA Legislature are Pub controlled now means to me people hated Rendell and his cronies.....and it's a huge slap at Bugsy.

Corbett attacked, but not in the shrill way Onorato did......he was positive...Onorato wasn't.  In my view, starting out, this was Onorato's for the taking.......he bombed.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #308 on: November 03, 2010, 08:15:46 AM »

Holy Christ. The Democrats currently have three seats in the New Hampshire Senate. There are maybe three or four more that they might win. Lynch is lucky as hell that he got re-elected.

This looks a lot like what happened in 2002 in NH, albeit even worse. I think they went down to 5 that year. NH voters like to inflict armageddon on the party in power at regular intervals, it seems.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #309 on: November 03, 2010, 08:28:15 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2010, 08:38:23 AM by Mr. Moderate »

MASSACHUSETTS ROUND-UP

Baker obviously lost in Massachusetts. The best performing Republican statewide was Mary Z. Connaughton, who sadly lost the state auditor's race 49-46 to a tax cheat. Good job, Massachusetts.

I went through the list of the State House races and here's a list of the seats the GOP picked up (or, at least, has a notable lead in with most precincts reporting):

Barnstable 3
Essex 9, 17, 18
Hampden 3
Middlesex 4, 22
Norfolk 12
Plymouth 7, 8
Worcester 2, 8, 18

That's thirteen. With all precincts reporting in the Worcester 6, Republican Peter Durant leads Rep. Geraldo Alicea by a margin of two votes: 6,583 – 6,581, so it's a potential 14 seat gain for Republicans. All Republicans seeking re-election won, and the GOP held all their open seats.

FWIW, this would mark the first time Republicans have been able to topple an incumbent Democrat anywhere in the State House since Jeff Perry won in 2002. Almost all of the pick ups were grabbed by defeating entrenched conservative Democrats in conservative-leaning seats, so they should be sustainable holds.

The bright spot of the night for the GOP was undoubtedly Worcester County. Aside from the four state house seats, Lew Evangelidis picked up the office of Worcester County Sheriff for the Republicans. The GOP also won the open Governor's Council seat in district seven (Worcester), which should be the first time the GOP has won a seat on the body since 1990.

Elsewhere in the state, Republicans appear to have defeated incumbent Plymouth County Commissioner Timothy McMullen, though the race is close enough that it hasn't been officially callled.

Things did get a bit uglier in the State Senate, where the GOP slid backwards from 35-5 to 36-4, as Republicans lost Sen. Tisei's open seat. They did well in some targeted seats, almost beating seven-term incumbent Richard Moore. They also fell just short of ousting the state senate president, 52-48.

Voters statewide soundly rejected an effort to drop the sales tax from 6.25% to 3%. They did, however, pass a law exempting already taxed alcohol from the state sales tax by a narrow margin.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #310 on: November 03, 2010, 08:31:15 AM »

NY state senate

Dem gain – SD 11 Former NYC Councilman Tony Avella (Dem) beats GOP Sen. Frank Padavan.
Dem gain – SD 38 Clarkstown Clerk David Carlucci (Dem) defeats GOP Rockland County Executive Scott Vanderhoef for the seat left vacate by the death of GOP Sen. Thomas Morahan.
GOP gain – SD 3 Lee Zeldin (GOP) beats Democratic Sen. Brian Foley.
GOP gain – SD 48 Patricia Ritchie (GOP) beats Democratic Sen. Darrel Aubertine.
*Dem undecided – SD 7 Jack Martins (GOP) leads Democratic Sen. Craig Johnson by 415 votes.
*Dem undecided – SD 37 Democratic Sen. Suzi Oppenheimer (Dem) leads Republican Bob Cohen by 180 with 80 percent of precincts reporting.
*Dem undecided – SD 60 Democratic Sen. Antoine Thompson (Dem) leads Republican Mark Grisanti by 258 votes (2 EDs not reporting).
Nichlemn

« Reply #311 on: November 03, 2010, 08:46:16 AM »

Holy Christ. The Democrats currently have three seats in the New Hampshire Senate. There are maybe three or four more that they might win. Lynch is lucky as hell that he got re-elected.

This looks a lot like what happened in 2002 in NH, albeit even worse. I think they went down to 5 that year. NH voters like to inflict armageddon on the party in power at regular intervals, it seems.

I think it's mostly because NH's partisan leanings are fairly consistent through the state. Just look at the counties, they all vote pretty similarly. Obama won them all with a 10 point victory, I think Lynch won all but one with a 5 point victory. Thus, lots of seats are likely to swing with relatively small popular vote changes.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #312 on: November 03, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »

Kamala Harris is ahead for CA-AG by about 40,000 votes.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #313 on: November 03, 2010, 08:48:26 AM »

RHODE ISLAND

In 2008, Republicans had won a scant 6 of 75 seats in Rhode Island's lower chamber. They improved on that, picking up a net four. Republicans fared much better in the State Senate, doubling their representation from 4 seats to 8 (of 38).

Republicans narrowly lost the race for Secretary of State, 51-49.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #314 on: November 03, 2010, 08:50:59 AM »

GOP picks up 13 seats in the TN State house.  Rural democrats almost completely wiped out.  That's the good news.  

The bad news is that urban Republicans (candidates like Shelton, Cook, and Dominy in Shelby and Davidson counties) didn't make any pick-ups, meaning that the state's most populous counties have cast their lots with the losing team.

The GOP took TN-60- retiree Ben West's seat in Davidson County. Gotto over Sam Coleman.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #315 on: November 03, 2010, 08:56:33 AM »

You must be thrilled, more Republicans that won't vote for gay marriage. But it is the Democrats fault. Roll Eyes
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #316 on: November 03, 2010, 09:02:08 AM »

I hope Harris can pull it off. Democrats will then have swept every statewide office. Smiley

Glad 25 passed, bummed 26 did as well. But that was expected.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #317 on: November 03, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »

You must be thrilled, more Republicans that won't vote for gay marriage. But it is the Democrats fault. Roll Eyes

Yes, because clearly, if Rhode Island can't pass gay marriage, it must be the fault of the Republican superminority.

Does it really drive you that crazy that I prefer a two-party system?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #318 on: November 03, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »

When has a governor as unpopular as Quinn ever won re-election?

I know you're trying to block Gov. Blagojevich from your mind, but ... him.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #319 on: November 03, 2010, 09:43:32 AM »

OR-GOV:
Kitzhaber's chances fade some...
Dudley +20,380 (49.5% v 47.8%), 85% reporting

Multnomah 68% reporting.

And swing back again...

OR-GOV:
Dudley +14,668 (49.2% v 48.1%), 91% reporting

Multnomah 73% reporting.

This could get very, very close indeed.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #320 on: November 03, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »

From the State House News Service (MA):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #321 on: November 03, 2010, 09:53:33 AM »

Alex Sink has conceded in Florida.
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #322 on: November 03, 2010, 10:02:40 AM »

Brian Dubie has conceded to Peter Shumlin in Vermont.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #323 on: November 03, 2010, 10:08:48 AM »

Brian Dubie has conceded to Peter Shumlin in Vermont.

yesssssss
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #324 on: November 03, 2010, 10:29:23 AM »

Won't the legislature have to do the honors later this week since he is under 50%?  I know it would just be a formality, though.  The legislature is 2/3rds Democratic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies