OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:50:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 189225 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: February 10, 2018, 03:42:26 PM »

Klein's definitely a rising star, and he'll be back. I know some people are mad that Pfeiffer's right-hand man, who was going to run for City Attorney when Pfeiffer stepped down was basically pushed aside. I forget his name right now, but Klein's liable to run for County Prosecutor again in 2020, so hopefully, this other guy can make a comeback.

And yeah, no doubt, Stinziano's favored, especially in this environment, but Democrats haven't won the Franklin County Auditor's office since 1974! Still, I'm taking nothing for granted.

Bill Hedrick?

Yeah, I guess.

Though I've heard Klein likely won't run for County Prosecutor in 2020, but AG in 2026. Which kind of makes sense. He'd be at risk of tarnishing his stardom. But damn, I'd love to have Franklin County Prosecutor, and I don't think O'Brien retires in 2020 unless he's in for another very close election, and IDK who we'd run against him.

That's interesting, but I have a hard time believing O'Brien is going to risk another tough race when he knows Franklin County falls further out of the Republican orbit every year, and after Klein serves a term as City Prosecutor O'Brien can't go after him as "Zero experience Zach". I strongly suspect he'll see the writing on the wall and go out on top, leaving the office wide open to Klein, and for Bill Hedrick to become the City's (maybe the state's?) first gay Law Director.

Franklin County Prosecutor is probably a better stepping stone to the AG's office than Columbus City Prosecutor anyway, and he's assuming there won't be a Democratic incumbent AG in 26, so he better take what he can while he can, IMHO.

Generally, I agree with your assessment — FCP is a much better launching pad than CCA and O’Brien’s in for a tough race come 2020 — but a counterpoint, if I may.

Thanks to the fact that the Ohio General Assembly is under the FCP’s jurisdiction, the office has significantly more power than any other county office in the state. If Democrats take back the Governor’s mansion and the row offices, and make significant gains in the state house, I would expect FCRP to really sink it’s teeth into holding the FCP. At this point in time, it looks like Clarence Minho will run for re-election this year, and given Franklin County’s trend, I would expect that race to be triaged when it is next up. Correspondingly, the idea that Republicans are more disciplined with their finances is going out the window. Not so with the idea they’re tough on crime, and that’s what people want, especially in the suburbs. And not just Hilliard and Dublin, Upper Arlington and even Bexley, too. If Klein does run for FCP in 2020, he risks coming across as a massive careerist — a label most Columbus politicians struggle with — and the slight chance of another loss, which really would dampen his star.

I do think it’s a safe enough bet there won’t be an incumbent Democratic AG in 2026. If Dettelbach wins this year, he either wins re-elect in 2022 or doesn’t. Either way, that leaves a Democratic opening for Klein. (Though of Dettelbach is a two term AG, we almost certainly keep the office in 2026.)

All valid points, but that didn't stop Zach Klein from winning a countywide race for City prosecutor's office by 40 points running as a Democrat. Of course it'll be different running against O'Brien, and yes he'll have plenty of funding both locally and from the state, but Klein won't lack either. If he wants to run for attorney general in 2026, I can't imagine a failed 2020 race for Franklin County prosecutor would be even remembered at that point, no more than his losing 2 O'Brien just last year hurt him in his race for City prosecutor
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1426 on: February 10, 2018, 08:35:53 PM »

Klein's definitely a rising star, and he'll be back. I know some people are mad that Pfeiffer's right-hand man, who was going to run for City Attorney when Pfeiffer stepped down was basically pushed aside. I forget his name right now, but Klein's liable to run for County Prosecutor again in 2020, so hopefully, this other guy can make a comeback.

And yeah, no doubt, Stinziano's favored, especially in this environment, but Democrats haven't won the Franklin County Auditor's office since 1974! Still, I'm taking nothing for granted.

Bill Hedrick?

Yeah, I guess.

Though I've heard Klein likely won't run for County Prosecutor in 2020, but AG in 2026. Which kind of makes sense. He'd be at risk of tarnishing his stardom. But damn, I'd love to have Franklin County Prosecutor, and I don't think O'Brien retires in 2020 unless he's in for another very close election, and IDK who we'd run against him.

That's interesting, but I have a hard time believing O'Brien is going to risk another tough race when he knows Franklin County falls further out of the Republican orbit every year, and after Klein serves a term as City Prosecutor O'Brien can't go after him as "Zero experience Zach". I strongly suspect he'll see the writing on the wall and go out on top, leaving the office wide open to Klein, and for Bill Hedrick to become the City's (maybe the state's?) first gay Law Director.

Franklin County Prosecutor is probably a better stepping stone to the AG's office than Columbus City Prosecutor anyway, and he's assuming there won't be a Democratic incumbent AG in 26, so he better take what he can while he can, IMHO.

Generally, I agree with your assessment — FCP is a much better launching pad than CCA and O’Brien’s in for a tough race come 2020 — but a counterpoint, if I may.

Thanks to the fact that the Ohio General Assembly is under the FCP’s jurisdiction, the office has significantly more power than any other county office in the state. If Democrats take back the Governor’s mansion and the row offices, and make significant gains in the state house, I would expect FCRP to really sink it’s teeth into holding the FCP. At this point in time, it looks like Clarence Minho will run for re-election this year, and given Franklin County’s trend, I would expect that race to be triaged when it is next up. Correspondingly, the idea that Republicans are more disciplined with their finances is going out the window. Not so with the idea they’re tough on crime, and that’s what people want, especially in the suburbs. And not just Hilliard and Dublin, Upper Arlington and even Bexley, too. If Klein does run for FCP in 2020, he risks coming across as a massive careerist — a label most Columbus politicians struggle with — and the slight chance of another loss, which really would dampen his star.

I do think it’s a safe enough bet there won’t be an incumbent Democratic AG in 2026. If Dettelbach wins this year, he either wins re-elect in 2022 or doesn’t. Either way, that leaves a Democratic opening for Klein. (Though of Dettelbach is a two term AG, we almost certainly keep the office in 2026.)

All valid points, but that didn't stop Zach Klein from winning a countywide race for City prosecutor's office by 40 points running as a Democrat. Of course it'll be different running against O'Brien, and yes he'll have plenty of funding both locally and from the state, but Klein won't lack either. If he wants to run for attorney general in 2026, I can't imagine a failed 2020 race for Franklin County prosecutor would be even remembered at that point, no more than his losing 2 O'Brien just last year hurt him in his race for City prosecutor

I think Klein will run and win, but I'm biased here given that O'Brien (or rather his office) fought pretty dam* hard to have my beagle put down for biting a trespasser.  Fortunately, the bastards at the Franklin County Prosecutors office were unsuccessful, but it cost me over $1,000 plus legal fees and she's not allowed to live within the county lines anymore (lives on a beagle farm in Champaign County).  As far as I'm concerned, Ron O'Brien is an enemy for life.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1427 on: February 10, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »

I think Klein will run and win, but I'm biased here given that O'Brien (or rather his office) fought pretty dam* hard to have my beagle put down for biting a trespasser.  Fortunately, the bastards at the Franklin County Prosecutors office were unsuccessful, but it cost me over $1,000 plus legal fees and she's not allowed to live within the county lines anymore (lives on a beagle farm in Champaign County).  As far as I'm concerned, Ron O'Brien is an enemy for life.

What the actual hell?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1428 on: February 10, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »

What the actual hell?

Yeah, it was pretty crazy, to say the least.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1429 on: February 11, 2018, 06:58:19 PM »

Bill Hedrick?

Yeah, I guess.

Wait, what? Countywide race for City Attorney? Definitely not. Grove City and Reynoldsburg didn’t get a say on who gets to replace Pfeiffer.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1430 on: February 11, 2018, 09:46:01 PM »

Bill Hedrick?

Yeah, I guess.

Wait, what? Countywide race for City Attorney? Definitely not. Grove City and Reynoldsburg didn’t get a say on who gets to replace Pfeiffer.

Sorry. I meant Citywide. Until I guarantee you klein would have one in a landslide. Even if it were a countywide race.
Usili
Rookie

« Reply #1431 on: February 13, 2018, 03:09:20 PM »

And Connie Pillich is dropping out and set to endorse Cordray for the governorship.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1432 on: February 13, 2018, 03:24:25 PM »

I'm actually quite surprised, she recently got EMILY's List and had been fundraising well.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1433 on: February 13, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »

She had no chance anyways. Cordray is probably gonna lose to DeWine by 5-6 points anyways. Heck, even I like DeWine a bit (would vote for dull and nationalized Cordray anyways if I could though).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1434 on: February 13, 2018, 03:42:43 PM »

I'm impressed by how quickly Cordray managed to clear the field. Is he really that formidable a candidate or something else is afoot?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1435 on: February 13, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »

The strength of Pillich in the primary was underrated. With the field as large as it was, and Pillich being the only woman in the race, she definitely could’ve made it through. Cordray should pull through, but I still don’t plan to vote for him in the primary.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1436 on: February 13, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »

So Jay Williams, Tim Ryan, and Joe Schiavoni all three come from Youngstown? Interesting...
Yes, though Williams has said if Ryan gets in, he won't.

If Ryan gets in, I could easily see Schiavoni just running for his House seat.
It's definitely possible Schiavoni is just trying to smoke Ryan's true intentions out.

Am I the only who can see Nina Turner if she runs on a "Im a Bernie guy who told Hillary not to ignore you guys" platform?

As winning or as running?

I could definitely see her running, but winning? Not so much. And I say that as a proud Bernie partisan.
Turner would get crushed in a state wide race, though there's definitely a movement to draft her.  Her political future lies in Cleveland, if anywhere.

Turner already did get crushed statewide: https://ballotpedia.org/Ohio_Secretary_of_State_election,_2014
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #1437 on: February 14, 2018, 01:47:33 AM »

So disappointing that all of these formidable women seemingly got pushed out of the race. Pillich was my long shot favorite to win and has a real future ahead in Ohio. But, I think everyone wanted to give him a clear path as to take on DeWine in November.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1438 on: February 14, 2018, 04:01:40 AM »

So Jay Williams, Tim Ryan, and Joe Schiavoni all three come from Youngstown? Interesting...
Yes, though Williams has said if Ryan gets in, he won't.

If Ryan gets in, I could easily see Schiavoni just running for his House seat.
It's definitely possible Schiavoni is just trying to smoke Ryan's true intentions out.

Am I the only who can see Nina Turner if she runs on a "Im a Bernie guy who told Hillary not to ignore you guys" platform?

As winning or as running?

I could definitely see her running, but winning? Not so much. And I say that as a proud Bernie partisan.
Turner would get crushed in a state wide race, though there's definitely a movement to draft her.  Her political future lies in Cleveland, if anywhere.

Turner already did get crushed statewide: https://ballotpedia.org/Ohio_Secretary_of_State_election,_2014

Wow that's a necro. Hey @buckeye, get a load of this! Nina Turner ran in 2014! Who knew? Defs not you, I bet.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1439 on: February 14, 2018, 07:50:49 AM »

Certainly not I!

So disappointing that all of these formidable women seemingly got pushed out of the race. Pillich was my long shot favorite to win and has a real future ahead in Ohio. But, I think everyone wanted to give him a clear path as to take on DeWine in November.

Eh. Pillich and Sutton really needed to win the primary (and the general) for their politics careers not to be over. Allegedly, Cordray takes to Pillich some about making her his Lt., and I honestly would have preferred that. Cordray and Sutton have the same base, ideologically and financially, so she doesn’t add anything on that front, while Pillich would have brought on a lot more money and energy. Though given the Republican ticket is goin to be heavy on candidates from the southwest, Democrats really need to make a play to NEOH, which is a good enough reason to pick Sutton over Pillich.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1440 on: February 14, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »

Certainly not I!

Eh. Pillich and Sutton really needed to win the primary (and the general) for their politics careers not to be over. Allegedly, Cordray takes to Pillich some about making her his Lt., and I honestly would have preferred that. Cordray and Sutton have the same base, ideologically and financially, so she doesn’t add anything on that front, while Pillich would have brought on a lot more money and energy. Though given the Republican ticket is goin to be heavy on candidates from the southwest, Democrats really need to make a play to NEOH, which is a good enough reason to pick Sutton over Pillich.

I mean, my first choice would’ve been a Cordray/Schiavoni ticket, but that was never in the cards.  I agree that Cordray/Pillich would’ve been better and would argue that Sutton was an extremely poor pick who’d have been much better off either running for State House (I think she is in DeVitis’ district and would probably win if her ego would let her run) or even as wave insurance in OH-16.  Even someone like Sittenfield or Whaley would’ve made more sense. 

On the bright side the AG and Auditor’s races are looking like pickups (especially AG where Diettelbach increasingly seems to be more or less in the driver’s seat), SoS is still very competitive (although LaRose still has a small but significant advantage), and Rob Richardson has proved a much better candidate than expected.  He’s nothing to write home about, but he hasn’t been a disaster like most (myself included) were expecting and could potentially win Ohio’s least important row office by riding the wave. 
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1441 on: February 14, 2018, 12:23:57 PM »

Certainly not I!

I mean, my first choice would’ve been a Cordray/Schiavoni ticket, but that was never in the cards.  I agree that Cordray/Pillich would’ve been better and would argue that Sutton was an extremely poor pick who’d have been much better off either running for State House (I think she is in DeVitis’ district and would probably win if her ego would let her run) or even as wave insurance in OH-16.  Even someone like Sittenfield or Whaley would’ve made more sense. 

On the bright side the AG and Auditor’s races are looking like pickups (especially AG where Diettelbach increasingly seems to be more or less in the driver’s seat), SoS is still very competitive (although LaRose still has a small but significant advantage), and Rob Richardson has proved a much better candidate than expected.  He’s nothing to write home about, but he hasn’t been a disaster like most (myself included) were expecting and could potentially win Ohio’s least important row office by riding the wave. 

Sutton brings geography though, and I think it’s important for Democrats to really show they understand the importance of winning back NEOH, especially since Cordray isn’t of the region. Cordray/Clyde would actually have been great, but again, never in the cards.

Similar to the accolades you won with Aftab, I’ll take mine with Dettelbach — and Space, to a lesser degree. Though it’s not over till fat lady sings votes. IIRC, competitive is much better for Clyde than you and others were giving her credit for. And have you had the opportunity to hear Richardson speak? He’s very charismatic, and I think the idea he needs a wave to beat Sprague, who’s about as poorly known, isn’t exactly a fair assessment of his chances.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1442 on: February 14, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »

Certainly not I!

Sutton brings geography though, and I think it’s important for Democrats to really show they understand the importance of winning back NEOH, especially since Cordray isn’t of the region. Cordray/Clyde would actually have been great, but again, never in the cards.

Similar to the accolades you won with Aftab, I’ll take mine with Dettelbach — and Space, to a lesser degree. Though it’s not over till fat lady sings votes. IIRC, competitive is much better for Clyde than you and others were giving her credit for. And have you had the opportunity to hear Richardson speak? He’s very charismatic, and I think the idea he needs a wave to beat Sprague, who’s about as poorly known, isn’t exactly a fair assessment of his chances.

Dettelbach we both agreed on (Space too, I think), IIRC it was Rjr who thought Diettelbach was a weak candidate.  You were right about Clyde though, I didn't think she had a shot against LaRose in the beginning.  I think you may've misunderstood what I meant about Richardson (whom I haven't yet heard speak), I meant that everyone initially assumed he'd be a terrible candidate and he's proven far stronger than expected.  I don't know enough about Sprague yet to say whether or not Richardson would beat him even without a wave.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1443 on: February 14, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »

Certainly not I!

Dettelbach we both agreed on (Space too, I think), IIRC it was Rjr who thought Diettelbach was a weak candidate.  You were right about Clyde though, I didn't think she had a shot against LaRose in the beginning.  I think you may've misunderstood what I meant about Richardson (whom I haven't yet heard speak), I meant that everyone initially assumed he'd be a terrible candidate and he's proven far stronger than expected.  I don't know enough about Sprague yet to say whether or not Richardson would beat him even without a wave.

Ah, I didn't mean to imply you were a non-believer in regards to Dettelbach (and Space), just that there have been. The next time Richardson is in your part of the state, you should definitely try to go and hear him speak.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1444 on: February 16, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »

Cordray needs to talk less about Trump and more about DeWine.

Also, as much as I dislike Kucinich on a personal level, he's really speaking my language on the issues.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1445 on: February 17, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »

Is Cordray still pro-gun I know he was endorsed by the NRA back in 2010?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1446 on: February 18, 2018, 04:03:50 PM »

No, he’s not.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1447 on: February 18, 2018, 07:08:19 PM »

Also, as much as I dislike Kucinich on a personal level, he's really speaking my language on the issues.

Has he gained any traction since entering the race, or is he pretty much still just a vanity candidate?

Honestly, it's hard to say. In the absence of polling, all I have are anecdotes, which aren't worth a whole lot.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1448 on: February 18, 2018, 07:14:46 PM »

No, he’s not.

He has an A rating from the NRA, and helped strike down Cleveland's assault weapons ban. He's far more pro gun than Bernie, whom the establishment pained as an NRA stooge. But the establishment doesn't care about consistency.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1449 on: February 18, 2018, 07:26:15 PM »

No, he’s not.

He has an A rating from the NRA, and helped strike down Cleveland's assault weapons ban. He's far more pro gun than Bernie, whom the establishment pained as an NRA stooge. But the establishment doesn't care about consistency.

Seek help
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies