Ohio Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 09:58:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ohio Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Ohio Megathread  (Read 12718 times)
Ohioguy29

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2018, 12:01:02 AM »

Of course, it's not like it hard to make better ads than Steve Chabot. This one always makes me laugh. And in this one, they try to attack him for firing patronage employees. My friend who canvasses for Aftab was like, "uh, that's something I usually cite as a positive."

Jesus, he's scared.

He damn well should be. Unlike smarter congressmen like Dave Joyce, Chabot has made no attempt to moderate or appeal to people in this district even though he knew a wave election was coming up, and now he's paying the price for it. His west side advantage has eroded (as far as I can tell no one there has any loyalty to him anymore), and Aftab is making shocking inroads even in Warren County. Aftab noticed that Chabot wasn't reaching out to these areas (or anywhere) and he took advantage of that.

My friend who predicted Trump would win thinks Chabot has no chance at this point. I wouldn't go that far, but I definitely think Aftab is favored. And while I think Chabot's current strategy is ineffective, I can't actually think of any way he could change the tide. There's nothing much to attack Aftab on, and he hasn't accomplished anything in quite a while so he can't run on that. His strategy for winning would've been to be a better congressman and to have started taking this campaign seriously from the start. Aftab started campaigning on the west side before he did and now it's too late to catch up. Chabot's years of laziness and lack of availability to constituents have caught up to him.

I still think Chabot wins by 4, and his best chance to victory is to just go full Maga at this point. It's too late to moderate or do much else, he is clearly is still on the Trump Train and did not get off at any stopping point, and they are all past now. So his best chance is to just go full throttle Maga like crazy and just shovel the coal as fast as he can into the Trump Train engine and hope it gets him past the finish line via high amounts of Trumpkin turnout. I know, bad strategy. But it's really the best of all his bad options he has now. What else could he do that would give him a better chance?

Disagree on Chabot winning by 4, I think I might agree with you on this being his best option. I can't think of anything better. Maybe if he ran a bunch of ads about Aftab being pro-choice that would help too; honestly not sure why he hasn't done that.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2018, 12:04:48 AM »

Holy heck, Aftab is really tall!

Ohioguy29

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2018, 08:03:37 AM »

This pic had always made me think "geez, Hillary is really short," but I just realized how fundamentally stupid that is. Asked my acquaintance who knows him how tall he is, he's like 6'4". I'd known he was at least 6 feet tall before but not that tall.

In light of that, how tall is Kathleen Clyde?!?!? She's wearing heels here, but still.

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2018, 09:07:33 AM »

This pic had always made me think "geez, Hillary is really short," but I just realized how fundamentally stupid that is. Asked my acquaintance who knows him how tall he is, he's like 6'4". I'd known he was at least 6 feet tall before but not that tall.

In light of that, how tall is Kathleen Clyde?!?!? She's wearing heels here, but still.

I mean like Hillary is not super tall, she is like 5'5", but Aftab is like way taller, he looks like a solid foot taller.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 01:07:18 PM »

I didn't realize Aftab was so Flawless and Beautiful until now.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 02:13:00 PM »

If Ammar Campa doesn't pull through, Aftab will be the hottest guy in Congress.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »

He'd be in the running for sure, but he has some stiff competition. Adam Kinzinger, Conor Lamb, Ruben Kihuen...
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »

He'd be in the running for sure, but he has some stiff competition. Adam Kinzinger, Conor Lamb, Ruben Kihuen...

Kihuen is not running again, fwiw Morgan Griffith should be on that list.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »

You and I clearly have very different taste in men if you thinks some offbrand saltine like Adam Kinzinger is even in the running. The very definition of bland and forgettable. Conor Lamb at least belongs in this discussion, although of course I'll choose my hometown boy.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2018, 10:43:54 PM »

Clyde's like 6'3", maybe 6'2". Space is 6'1" and both Richardson and Dettelbach are 6'4". I saw someone propose the downticket should run under a coordinated slogan of "Stand Tall for Ohio." They were joking, but honestly, I'm for it.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »

Lolllll CLF made an attack ad out of a notorious video of Aftab dancing sexily. I joked that they would do this, but I didn't know if they'd actually be stupid enough to do it. All I can say is:

Why is Steve Chabot running ads that are calling attention to the fact that Aftab is attractive?

For anyone who's interested, here's the original video in all its glory.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2018, 03:12:41 PM »

These attack ads just make me want to vote for Aftab more.

Not even gay, but the dude is a stud.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2018, 05:38:25 PM »

The Brown domestic violence crap is back. http://metooohio.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI8rEyiCSLw&feature=youtu.be
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2018, 07:22:40 AM »

And Renacci is, thankfully, already, receiving massive sh!t for it from basically everybody.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2018, 12:19:08 PM »

Ohioguy29

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2018, 09:54:38 PM »

Came back from giving some Aftab brochures to an Indian restaurant and talking with an Indian friend about politics. First time I've felt pessimistic and depressed about this race, even though realistically Indian people are a very small percentage of the population of OH-1 and nobody was expecting to win on the Indian vote. "Who would ever fall for these dumb attack ads?" you ask? Indian people who believe that everything they see on TV is true, that's who. My friend's dad legit thought he was in jail, probably because of those ads where it looks like he's in a jail cell, or because of some idiotic facebook post.

My friend also said that she thinks racism could hurt him with the Indian community because he's half Tibetan, and based on my interaction with an old coworker it seems like she's completely right. First of all the coworker said he's not Indian. He eventually acknowledged he's half Indian (I think he was legit confused and didn't know what race Aftab's dad was), but then was like "you can tell his mother's Nepali because of his eyes" and made the Asian eyes gesture (you know the one.)

So yeah, not feeling too optimistic about Aftab making inroads here. Sad to see his own damn community not standing by him due to a combination of gullibility and racism.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2018, 12:13:56 AM »

Came back from giving some Aftab brochures to an Indian restaurant and talking with an Indian friend about politics. First time I've felt pessimistic and depressed about this race, even though realistically Indian people are a very small percentage of the population of OH-1 and nobody was expecting to win on the Indian vote. "Who would ever fall for these dumb attack ads?" you ask? Indian people who believe that everything they see on TV is true, that's who. My friend's dad legit thought he was in jail, probably because of those ads where it looks like he's in a jail cell, or because of some idiotic facebook post.

My friend also said that she thinks racism could hurt him with the Indian community because he's half Tibetan, and based on my interaction with an old coworker it seems like she's completely right. First of all the coworker said he's not Indian. He eventually acknowledged he's half Indian (I think he was legit confused and didn't know what race Aftab's dad was), but then was like "you can tell his mother's Nepali because of his eyes" and made the Asian eyes gesture (you know the one.)

So yeah, not feeling too optimistic about Aftab making inroads here. Sad to see his own damn community not standing by him due to a combination of gullibility and racism.

Welcome to the Chabot is winning club.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2018, 12:27:26 AM »

Indian voters are a very small percentage of the voting population here. Bad take.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2018, 12:34:56 AM »

Indian voters are a very small percentage of the voting population here. Bad take.

Aftab will lose by like 4.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »

Indian community is definitely throwing mad money @ Aftab from all over the country, even if some locals have more mixed feelings. If this dksrruct had Butler instead of Warren, Aftab would be a dead lock to win. As is, I will be surprised if we are winning the House come November WITHOUT him.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2018, 02:15:50 PM »

Aftab's latest "scandal" about blacked out memo lines is less alarming than headlines have made it appear now that I've actually read the articles about it. This is the latest:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2018/09/19/why-were-aftab-purevals-records-blacked-out-we-may-know-more-morning/1355313002/

I do feel like this attack is beginning to gain traction.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »

The Cincinnati Enquirer seems to be very anti-Aftab.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »

Chabot probaby squeaks by, but Aftab also has a good chance. Very close finish.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2018, 01:33:28 AM »

I was just thinking "maybe Aftab should release some attack ads on Chabot in retaliation" today, then I realized hey..this ad he released a few days ago is technically an attack ad! It has such a positive tone that I didn't even notice.

https://youtu.be/jq8fER2hgEQ
Ohioguy29

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2018, 12:21:07 AM »

This ad clearly targeted at female voters. Is he trying to win my vote, or is he trying to win my heart?😩

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3NWQDdQvqU
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies