Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:53:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29701 times)
terp40hitch
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: February 12, 2019, 09:57:16 PM »

Connally For VP Scheadule

Green: Fundraiser
Blue: Rally/Speech
Red: Fundraiser and Speech

Governor Connally's main goal is flipping Goldwater-Democrats who flipped the south in 1964 and may be less likely to vote for the moderate, pro-civil rights Republican like Dillion. Connally will also be attacking Dillion's VP choice with his disunity in the Florida Republicans, Inexperience and using the governor's office as a stepping stone. Connally also met and spoke with his former ally and friend, President Johnson. Connally asked him to step aside stating so Kennedy/Connally continue to protect his legacy and progressing the legacy.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:05 AM »

Turn XIII

August 5th-8th

Goldwater v Dillion at the Convention

RNC Insiders now prepare for the first ballot at the Convention and the ensuing battle for Delegates afterwards, some consider nominating someone other than Kirk for Dillion's Vice President, though they are few

President Johnson out but Governor Rockefeller takes up Independent Mantle, declares "I'm in this until the end", chooses Anderson for VP

After a conversation between himself and Governor Connally, President Johnson stated he was suspending his Independent Campaign for President, however, Governor Rockefeller has remained the Independent Candidate, choosing Illinois Congressman as his Running Mate

Republicans Nationally

C. Douglas Dillion : 50 %
Barry Goldwater : 44 %
Undecided : 6 %

Chances of the Nomination on the First Ballot

C. Douglas Dillion : 6/10
Barry Goldwater : 3/10
Someone Else : 1/10

President Johnson Approval Rating

Disapprove : 55 %
Approve : 43 %
Unsure/No Opinion : 2 %

General Election Polls

Dillion/Kirk v Kennedy/Connally v Rockefeller/Anderson

Robert F. Kennedy/John Connally - 40 %
C. Douglas Dillion/Clause R. Kirk Jr. - 35 %
Nelson Rockefeller/John Anderson - 23 %
Undecided : 2 %

Dillion/Kirk v Kennedy/Connally

Robert F. Kennedy/John Connally - 52 %
C. Douglas Dillion/Clause R. Kirk Jr. - 44 %
Undecided : 4 %

Goldwater/Smith v Kennedy/Connally v Rockefeller/Anderson

Robert F. Kennedy/John Connally - 39 %
Barry Goldwater/Margaret Chase Smith - 37 %
Nelson Rockefeller/John Anderson - 20 %

Goldwater/Smith v Kennedy/Connally

Robert F. Kennedy/John Connally - 49 %
Barry Goldwater/Margaret Chase Smith - 46 %
Undecided : 5 %

Moderator's notes Sad We finally made it everyone. The 1968 RNC. Only a few turns away from the General Election. This turn will last until Monday afternoon, February 18th, at 3:30 PM Eastern Time and will be the Republican National Convention from August 5th-8th. Make sure to PM me ASAP if you need an extension, preferably after you read this sentence. Extensions will be given for the requester and the requester only, not for the field at large, so if you need an extension, PM me.

Now, let's look at the gameplay (credit goes to Lumine for this) :

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Alright, have fun with the convention. First ballot will be posted on Friday and the Second one, if needed, on Sunday. It will be followed by the VP Ballot on either Sunday or Monday.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2019, 06:22:27 PM »

Goldwater speaks to the convention in order to convince to vote for him

4 years ago I came here to accept the nomination for this party. 4 years back I come here again to tell you to give me another chance.  Cause I feel like unlike in 1964 right here and right now Amercia needs me.  We have suffered through a goverment that has grown bigger and bigger and a debt that has gotten higher and higher due to more government spending and taxes and what seems to be a endless war going on in Vietnam.

We need someone in these times who has been proven to fight for smaller government and lower taxes and control the spending habits.    

We need someone who agrees with the majority of the American People that we need to bring peace to the effects in the conflict of Vietnam and bring our troops back safely.

I know the horrors of war and I don’t want anymore kids to be suffer through stuff like that.  Also I have a historal running mate by the side and who if elected will be the first ever Female Vice President Margent Chase Smith and we agree that we will our what differences aside that we have and unite and fight to end up on 1600 Pennsylvania Ave!!

While you should vote your conscience i want to let you know that if you want to have the best choice on this table then vote for me and my running mate Margent Case Smith. Thank you!!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2019, 11:11:39 PM »

Kennedy to Propose Space Exploration Act

Kennedy intends to present the Space Exploration act to the US Senate on August 9th. The bill, designed to increase America's strength in the space race, provides for:

-An additional 10 billion dollars per year in NASA funding
-Construction of two NASA Space Centers in Florida and California
-Creation of a Federal Astronaut Training Program
-5 billion dollars to research new spacecrat to ensure the safety of astronauts

"Fellow Senators, Americans have always dreamed big. Now we find ourselves reaching for the stars. This bill will provide the means for NASA to win the space race and for furture exploration of the final frontier. I welcome anyone who believes in our efforts in space to co-sponsor this bill."
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2019, 06:10:29 PM »

Dillon supports the Space Exploration Act

It is with determination and patriotism that I support the Space Exploration Act in order to make sure that our astronauts will have all the necessary equipment, material, safety and provisions to lead successful missions in places like the Moon, Mars, etc. and come back to Earth alive and to make sure that America will be the leader and winner of the Space Race.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2019, 08:25:38 PM »

Dillon speaks at the Republican National Convention to convince delegates to support him

My friends, we are at a critical time of our history : deep national division due to racial injusticies that lasted for centuries, drastic increase of the size of government that is weakening our economy and slow progress in Vietnam that could eventually turn the advantage to the enemy and make the Asian continent a base for the communists to attack America.

In these times of challenges, we need a leader with results. I served as Under Secretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment and then as Secretary of Treasury under a Democratic administration and cut taxes, which provided massive economic growth by ensuring an expansion of the GDP by an average of 5.5 % from early 1961 to late 1963, brought the inflation down to 1 %, reduced the unemployment rate from 6.6 % to below 4 % from 1961 to 1967, allowed an increase of Gross National Product by 10 %, a rise of industrial production by 16 % and a rise of motor vehicle sales rose by 40 %. So I know what it takes to grow this economy and lead our country to permanent economic prosperity, which requires promoting tax reform and making America the best place in the world to start a business.

In these times of foreign policy challenges, we need a leader who knows what it takes to keep America safe and lead us to victory against the Soviet Union in the Cold War. I proudly served our country in the U.S. Navy during the World War II, combating in the Battle of Saipan and the Philippines campaign. Then, I became vice chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations, U.S. Ambassador to France, Under Secretary of State and member of the Excomm during the Cuban missile crisis. I understand what it takes to make America victorious against our enemies, which requires a strong military, strong American leadership and strong alliances. That is the agenda I will promote as President of the United States and that's how we're going to win the Cold War.

My running mate, Florida Governor Claude Kirk, has been proven to be an effective reformer. Before entering politics, he also served our nation in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War and he started the American Heritage Life Insurance Company that became one of the most successful in the industry. When he became Governor of Florida, he reduced the size of government in the Sunshine State, reduced taxes, defended Floridians' right to self-defense and improved the Sunshine State’s recreation, tourism and business climate without raising taxes.

So, delegates, if you want a team with proven leadership, I ask for your support in order to get things done for the sake of America's promise, prosperity, freedom and strength.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #306 on: February 16, 2019, 02:25:16 PM »

REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, FIRST BALLOT FOR THE PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION (667 Needed for Nomination)

Former Treasury Secretary C. Douglas Dillion of Massachusetts - 580 Delegates (43.51%)
Former Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona - 388 Delegates (29.11%)
Senator Clifford P. Case of New Jersey - 253 Delegates (18.98%)
Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine - 44 Delegates (3.3%)
Former Governor William Scranton of Pennsylvania - 16 Delegates (1.2%)
Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee - 12 Delegates (0.9%)

REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, FIRST BALLOT FOR THE VICE-PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION (667 Needed for Nomination

Governor George Romney of Michigan - 325 Delegates (24.38%)
Governor Claude R. Kirk Jr. - 296 Delegates (22.21%)
Governor Jim Rhodes of Ohio - 267 Delegates (20.03%)
Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine - 262 Delegates (19.65%)
Governor John Arthur Love of Colorado -  59 Delegates (4.43%)
Governor Ronald Reagan of California - 52 Delegates (3.9%)
Senator Ed Brooke of Massachusetts - 34 Delegates (2.55%)
Senator Thomas Kuchel of California - 15 Delegates (1.13%)
Senator Hiram Fong of Hawaii - 12 Delegates (0.9%)
Governor Spiro Agnew of Maryland - 6 Delegates (0.45%)
Senator Robert P. Griffin of Michigan - 5 Delegates (0.38%)

Cronkite : "There you have it, ladies and Gentlemen, No candidate has received a majority of Delegates for the Presidential and Vice Presidential Nominations for the Republican Party and the party is heading for its first brokered convention since 1948. These results do in fact show Dillion is the front runner against Goldwater but the question remains : Can he keep the momentum up and win the nomination on the Second Ballot? Another interesting thing is the Vice Presidential Ballot : Governor Kirk is behind Governor Romney and Senator Smith is behind Governors Romney, Kirk, and Rhodes, which probably means that either of the two candidates could possibly get a running mate different from the one they had originally selected. People are probably wondering why Senator Smith is both on the Presidential and Vice Presidential Ballots and that's because before she dropped out of the race, she won 44 Delegates early on in the primary but now, she's been selected to be Goldwater's Running Mate, so she's also on the VP Ballot. Delegates are always tied to the Candidate who originally won them in the primaries for the Convention's first ballot. However, I do see these rules being changed in 1972 by the RNC whether they win or lose. A Candidate needs 667 votes in order to get the Nomination, so stay tuned for the Second Ballots for both Nominations for the Party's Ticket. It's sure to get very interesting."
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #307 on: February 21, 2019, 10:54:24 AM »

REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, FIRST BALLOT FOR THE PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION (667 Needed for Nomination)

Former Treasury Secretary C. Douglas Dillion of Massachusetts - 855 Delegates (64.14%)
Former Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona - 468 Delegates (35.11%)
Abstain - 10 Delegates (0.75%)

REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION, FIRST BALLOT FOR THE VICE-PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION (667 Needed for Nomination

Governor George Romney of Michigan - 670 Delegates (50.26%)
Governor Ronald Reagan of California - 364 Delegates (27.31%)
Governor Claude R. Kirk Jr. - 261 Delegates (19.58%)
Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine - 28 Delegates (2.1%)
Abstain - 10 Delegates (0.75%)

Cronkite : "And thus the Ballots for the 1968 Republican National Convention ends with Former Treasury Secretary C. Douglas Dillion getting the Republican Presidential Nomination on the second ballot while his own announced Running Mate, Governor Kirk of Florida, lost his bid for the Vice Presidential Nomination to Governor Romney of Michigan. A surprise outcome. Thus the Republican Ticket will be Dillion/Romney come November. Now for the rest of the 1968 Republican Convention. Hopefully, Governor Kirk will not be too angered by this outcome."
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #308 on: February 21, 2019, 11:46:37 AM »

Goldwater concedes
While we didn’t get the nomination I just wanna thank everyone who came out and supported and came out and gave me a second chance!!

I wish the best for the ticket of Dillion/Romney and I endorse them to become our next president of the United States!!

terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #309 on: February 21, 2019, 05:47:04 PM »

Governor John Connaly Responds to the Republican Nomination

Tallahassee, Florida"...Dillion may have won the nomination but he has such a weak hold over the party and is such a weak leader that he can't even get his own delegates to vote for his vice-presidential choice. I have meant Governor Romney and I like the Governor myself, but the message coming out of the convection should be that Dillion doesn't even have control of his own party. Dillion also has Republicans running as Independents. That truly shows how little Dillion has been able to lead his party.

I am confident that Robert Kennedy will unify the party. I have already helped in the effort by urging Johnson to suspend his campaign. Next week, you will not see the chaos you saw this week in Maimi Beach. We have speakers from across the country and from all across the political views. That is the convection we will hold in a week. The convection that is being held now is far from unified and it shows a lot about Dillion not only as a candidate but also as a leader..."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #310 on: February 21, 2019, 07:34:35 PM »

Kennedy in Omaha, Nebraska

"So, we have all seen the Republican Convention, and we will be facing Secretary Dillon and Governor Romney in Noevember.

My friends, this shows you how disunited the Republican Party truly is.

As John said in Tallahasse, Dillon's position in his party is extremely fragile indeed. He failed to even secure the support required for his own running mate, and has two Republicans running as independents. This is not the behavior of a stable party, but it speaks to their true nature at heart, to nominate a man who has neever held elected office in his life and a man who was involved in big business all his life.

This only confirms a lingering suspicion that myself and John have been pondering, as i'm sure many Americans have: The Republican Party is the party of big business and Wall Street. Their nominating a man bent on cutting the taxes for corporations and the rich and a former corporate head as their Vice Presidential candidate only solidifies this suspcion as the truth.

The Democratic Party however, is the party of the people. We are the part of all who believe that there should not be one set of rules for big business, and another set of rules for the people, because it is the people who make this country prosperous, and not big business and Wall Street.

To me, it speaks volumes about the differences you will see in November. A fractured, disunited Republican party whose own ticket can't agree on Vietnam and has two member running as independents, or a firm, united Democratic Party. John Connally has done a truly magnificent job in aiding me in preventing the fracturing of our party by convincing the President not to run. Should we be victorious in November, he will be my close partner in government for the next four years
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #311 on: February 23, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2019, 02:56:05 PM by UWS »

Governor George Romney's VP Acceptance Speech at the 1968 Republican National Convention

Thank you. Thank you so very much, ladies and gentlemen.

Mr. Chairman, delegates and my fellow Americans, I accept your nomination for Vice-President of the United States.

I do so with such great commitment and puropose to restore the American Dream and give every single American, whether you are white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, man, woman, etc. a fair chance to prosper here on the land of opportunity. And that's why I will invest all my energy to get Clarence Douglas Dillon elected as the 37th President of the United States of America and I hope you're all going to follow me.

Sixty-one years ago, I was born in Colonia Dublán, a Mormon colony in the state of Chihuahua, Mexico. When the Mexican Revolution triggered in 1910, my family had to flee Mexico to find a refuge in the United States. I know what it is to lose the gift of freedom. Three years later, my family moved to Oakley, Idaho and bought a farm, where they grew and subsisted largely on Idaho potatoes. But when potato prices declined, moved to Salt Lake City, Utah, in 1916, where my father Gaskell Romney resumed construction work, but we remained generally poor.

After spending years as a Mormon missionary, in the context of the Great Depression, a time of economic struggle and high unemployment, I persevered in my quest for opportunity and I joined the American Automobile Manufacturers Association where I served as the chief spokesman for the automobile industry during World War II and headed a cooperative arrangement in which companies could share production improvements. As World War II raged, I helped start the Automotive Committee for Air Defense, which coordinated planning between the automobile and aircraft industries and I helped to turn that committee into the Automotive Council for War Production that established a cooperative arrangement in which companies could share machine tools and production improvements, thus maximizing the industry's contribution to the war production effort.

Then I became chief executive of American Motors Corporation and I assumed executive assignment for the development of the Rambler. When I took the direction of that company, I knew that the only way to compete with the "Big Three" (General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler) was to stake the future of AMC on a new smaller-sized car line. We also did that by following an innovative strategy: manufacturing only compact cars. Though AMC was on the verge of being taken over by corporate raider Louis Wolfson in 1957, I was able to save the day.

Then sales of the Rambler finally took off, leading to unexpected financial success for AMC. It posted its first quarterly profit in three years in 1958, was the only car company to show increased sales during the recession of 1958, and moved from thirteenth to seventh place among worldwide auto manufacturers. Ramblers were frequent winners in the coast-to-coast Mobil Economy Run, an annual event on U.S. highways. Sales remained strong during 1960 and 1961 and the Rambler was America's third most popular car both years.

So I know what it takes to grow this economy and create jobs because I lived it and so did C. Douglas Dillon. Meanwhile, Robert F. Kennedy has criticized for being involved in big business for all my life. I will not apologize for being successful because my story is a wonderful story of the American Dream in which I worked hard and created jobs during my private sector career. In a free capitalist society like America, we celebrate success, not punish it like Senator Kennedy would do by increasing taxes and regulations on businesses across the country, which will make America a harder place to do business, send jobs overseas, increase poverty and unemployment and diminish the American people's purchasing power and ability to find a job. But fortunately, we have at the top of our ticket a candidate who has demonstrated that tax cuts and small government are the best solution to overcome our economic challenges. As Secretary of Treasury, C. Douglas Dillon architected the Kennedy tax cuts, which encouraged job creation and increased wages for American workers, ensured an expansion of the GDP by an average of 5.5 % from early 1961 to late 1963, brought the inflation down to 1 %, reduced the unemployment rate from 6.6 % to below 4 % from 1961 to 1967, allowed an increase of Gross National Product by 10 %, a rise of industrial production by 16 % and a rise of motor vehicle sales rose by 40 %. What he did as Secretary of Treasury, C. Douglas Dillon will do as President of the United States : he will cut taxes for all Americans, including the middle class, reduce wasteful government spending, get America to energy independence by taking advantage of all of America's own sources of energy and promote free trade with our allies for the sake of our competitiveness in the world economy. That is how we're going to get America to full employment and permanent prosperity for all.

As Governor of Michigan, I supported the American Civil Rights Movement. I declared during my first State of the State address in January 1963, that "Michigan's most urgent human rights problem is racial discrimination—in housing, public accommodations, education, administration of justice, and employment." I helped create the state's first civil rights commission and when Martin Luther King came to Detroit in June 1963 and led the 120,000-strong Great March on Detroit, Romney designated the occasion Freedom March Day in Michigan. Then I participated at a 600-strong NAACP march protesting housing discrimination in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. We understand the struggles and injustices of African-Americans and all other ethnic minorities across this great country and I am proud to be a member of the party of Lincoln that freed African-Americans from slavery over 100 years ago. C. Douglas Dillon and I will fight to defend the rights of Americans of color across all this great nation and make sure that their rights, their access to education and their chance to succeed will be as equal as all other Americans.

We know we can bring this country back and that requires keeping our nation together after years of division, misery and injustice. That requires spreading freedom and civil rights among our society. That requires making America the most favorable environment for businesses and opportunity. And that requires keeping our military and our alliances strong so we can overcome our foreign policy challenges, stand up to the Soviet Union and win the Cold War. That's why, my fellow Republicans, my fellow Americans, we need to work together to reclaim America and create one of the brightest futures our country has ever known and that's why we need to elect C. Douglas Dillon as our next President for the sake of a prosperous, safe, strong and bright America.

Thank you. God bless you and God bless America.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #312 on: February 24, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2019, 12:53:26 PM by UWS »

C. Douglas Dillon's Acceptance Speech at the 1968 Republican National Convention

Thank you. Thank you so very much, my friends.

Mr. Chairman, delegates and my fellow Americans, I accept your nomination for President of the United States.

I accept your nomination because I'm committed to bring all the American people together in order to get things done and ensure America's progress and successfully face all of America's challenges. It has always been an honor to serve our country. After the United States entered World War II following the Pearl Harbor attack, I did so as Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Navy when I served during the battles of Guam, Saipan and the Philippines during the Pacific campaign. After my military service, I became vice-chairman of the Council on Foreign Relations and then Under Secretary of State and U.S. Ambassador to France and contributed, along with my opponent Robert F. Kennedy, in the settlement of the Cuban missile crisis as a member of the Excomm. So I know what it takes to keep America safe and that requires keeping our military strong and modernizing it, strengthening our alliances and committing ourselves to unconditional victory in the Cold War. On the other hand, Senator Kennedy wants to impose deep cuts in our defense budget and declare surrender in Vietnam, which will hand the advantage to the Soviet Union in the arms race, grant victory for communists and allow them to turn the Asian continent into a base to launch attacks against the United States. We can't afford that risk, we need to keep American leadership strong and combat our enemies until we obtain victory so we don't have to fight them here at home.

In this race, Americans can be proud to have in me a candidate of results. I served as Under Secretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy, and the Environment before becoming Secretary of Treasury under the Kennedy Administration. In 1962, as Secretary of Treasury, I architected one of the boldest tax cuts in history and here are the results : an expansion of the GDP by an average of 5.5 % from early 1961 to late 1963, a decrease of the inflation to 1 %, a reduction of the unemployment rate from 6.6 % to below 4 % from 1961 to 1967, an increase of Gross National Product by 10 %, a rise of industrial production by 16 % and a rise of motor vehicle sales rose by 40 %. I also played an important role in securing presidential power for reciprocal tariff reductions under the Trade Expansion Act of 1962. I also helped the accomplishment of the crafting the Revenue Act of 1962, which established a 7 percent tax credit to spur industrial growth. I know what it takes to get this economy working and to create jobs and I strengthened this aspect by having as my partner George Romney, a businessman who created jobs and made our automobile industry strong and who is going to be our next Vice-President. Senator Kennedy who wants to increase job-killing taxes on the American people and on businesses doesn't understand that the best way to create jobs and turn this economy around is to make America the best place in the world to do business, to reduce the size of government, to advocate free trade and advance America's path towards energy independence. That's exactly the agenda that I will adopt as President of the United States so we can get our country to full-employment and permanent prosperity and opportunity for all. And under my leadership, we will send men on the Moon next year and send men on Mars by 1980 and thus our country will remain the clear leader in the Space Race.

Bringing our country back means bringing all the American people together for a common cause : defending and promoting civil rights for all Americans, including those of color, restoring America's status as the land of opportunity, standing up to the Soviet Union and giving all Americans a fair chance to work, to prosper and to live the American Dream. These are all the goals that our team is committed to accomplish for the good of our country and that's why we need your support and your vote for the sake of a bright, prosperous and safe future for America, a future where our children and grandchildren can grow up free, safe and prosperous.

Thank you. God bless you and God bless America.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #313 on: February 25, 2019, 12:15:25 PM »

Turn XIV

August 9th-25th

Prague Spring Over! Warsaw Pact invades Czechoslovakia

After months of liberalization, Czechslovakia has been invaded by fellow members of the Warsaw Pacts with the sole goal of removing Alexander Dubček from power and ending the liberalization of the country. President Johnson and the United Nations, along with NATO, have declared the act illegal, as well as Governor Rockefeller, though Senator Kennedy and Secretary Dillion have yet to comment on the action themselves.

Republican National Convention deemed a general success, despite controversy

Despite Governor Kirk not becoming the Vice Presidential Nominee for the party like Dillion has originally wanted, the Party has coalesced behind the Dillion/Romney ticket and Dillion has received a Convention Bump from it, allowing him to have a 2% lead in the polls over Kennedy for the time being.

Rockefeller to Kennedy : I'm also running against your arrogance, Senator!

In a rally in Omaha, Nebraska, a day after Senator Kennedy's own rally in the city, Governor Rockefeller spoke to his supporters : "Senator Kennedy wants it to seem like I'm only running to hand himself the victory. Senator Kennedy, you best not forget that your brother was afraid of myself running 8 years ago because he knew how easily I would defeat him. Your arrogance is very telling, Senator! If I was just running against Dillion, I would endorse you, but I'm not, because I believe neither you nor Dillion are what this country needs right now!" Senator Kennedy has yet to comment on the speech, but has gotten a hit in the polls due to the attack.

Democratic National Convention : Kennedy ready for the Nomination, Southern Insurgency to happen?

Between August 26th-29th, the Democratic National Convention for 1968 will happen and it is widely expected that Senator Kennedy and Governor Connally will easily take the Nomination. However, many of Senator Gore's Delegates will not take no for answer and there are rumors that they plan to leave the Convention on the first ballot if Gore or someone who will repeal the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act isn't nominated at the Convention, with the intention of doing their own bid for the Presidency, making it harder for either Kennedy or Dillion to win from a simple Electoral College victory. The question for Kennedy is if he will try to appeal these southerners or if he will just call them sore losers and tell them to leave anyway.

Disapprove : 59 %
Approve : 31 %
Unsure/No Opinion : 10 %

General Election Polls

Dillion/Romney v Kennedy/Connally v Rockefeller/Anderson

Dillion/Romney : 38 %
Kennedy/Connally : 36 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 18 %
Undecided : 8 %

Dillion/Romney v Kennedy/Connally

Dillion/Romney : 49 %
ennedy/Connally : 47 %

Moderator's Notes : This turn will last until Saturday afternoon, March 2nd, at 3:30 PM Eastern Time. Make sure to PM me ASAP if you need an extension, preferably after you read this sentence. Extensions will be given for the requester and the requester only, not for the field at large, so if you need an extension, PM me.

This turn will last from August 9th to the day before the Democratic National Convention on August 25th. Make sure to schedule your campaign accordingly.

Messaging is key! This turn will be all about strengthening your support and getting enough support to win the Primary, so make sure to write your speeches/schedule accordingly! Speaking of which...

A schedule is required. You can post 20 speeches or no speeches, but what is required for you to post is your schedule. It doesn't have to be detailed, just give me a short description of each day's (or week's) events.

Advertisements: if you poll more than 15% nationally, you may run three advertisements. If you poll between 10% and 15%, you may run two advertisements, and if you poll below 10% but above 5%, then you can run one advertisement! Remember to diversify. Don't rely too much on TV Ads as those had only been around for a few elections, so do some Radio ads as well.

For Senator Kennedy, the goal will be to try and appease the Southern Democrats before the General in any way he can while for Senator Dillion, the goal will be to consolidate his support before the General Election officially starts the day after the DNC. Each will be equally difficult and will need to have a lot of focus for both candidates. Have fun and I hope this doesn't stir up controversy.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #314 on: February 28, 2019, 10:11:43 AM »

C. Douglas Dillon's campaign schedule

August 9-10
-Fundraising events in Florida and North Carolina

August 11
-Dillon campaigns in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania where he gives a foreign policy speech in response to the Warsaw Pact invasion of Czechoslovakia:

Here is how I believe we can win the Vietnam War : by getting India involved militarily in Vietnam in our sides. India too knows the consequences of a communist takeover in Vietnam, including the Asian continent becoming a communist stronghold and this threat could also reach India. And we saw it with the Sino-Indian War in 1962 when Communist China invaded and annexed the Indian territories of Askai Chin and Arunachal Pradesh. After all, the loss of New France to the British Empire is one of the main factors that convinced France to enter the American Revolutionary War in support to our Founding Fathers and the American Revolution in our quest of freedom and independance. So with India joining us in Vietnam, we will be able to counter China's military power in Vietnam and to overpower the Vietcongs and thus we will be able to defeat them all over North Vietnam, leading us to victory in Vietnam, stopping the expansion of communism in Asia and keeping America safe.

August 25
-Fundraising event in San Diego, California
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2019, 01:28:43 AM »

Kennedy/Connally '68

Schedule for Kennedy.

August 9-12: Kennedy travelled to Illinois and Wisconsin these days, campaigning on heavily on labor rights, as well as highlighting the Republican connections to big business, now in the open due to the selection of a big businessman as VP. He also campaigned heavily on civil rights, continually bringing up the point that he made the Justice Department an active fighter in the civil rights movement. He also hit out at Rockefeller, responding to accusations of arrogance with the following:

"The governor of my state wishes to accuse me of arrogance . . . What is more arrogant than running for one's own self-aggrandizement? A man who failed to defeat someone who had the endorsement of the Ku Klux Klan for his own party's nomination. A man who can no longer claim to be part of the party that repeatedly elected him to office. Governor, if you wish to see arrogance, you need only look in a mirror.

August 13-15: These days were spent in California, as Kennedy continued his campaign of labour and civil rights. He appeared with Pat Brown at several events in the state, most notably a rally in Los Angeles, which some 15,000 people attended.

August 15-19: Kennedy campaigned in New York and New Jersey with Frank Sinatra these days. Sinatra in particular highlighted that he believed the Republican Party was not truly committed to aiding the working class of the country. As if to highlight this, the men campaigned with local AFL-CIO heads. He also addressed the situation in Czechoslovakia.

"I echo the sentiments of Secretary Dillon in declaring this invasion to be illegal. However, I do not support military supply to the Czechoslovaks. Why? Because such a move will push us to the brink of nuclear war. To be frank, I am very disturbed at the Secretary's rather bellicose statements which seemed to stop just sort of an open declaration of hostilities. He cannot claim to be strong on foreign policy when he ignores the very reality that the world we live in is one that can destroy us with the press of a button. We risk another Vietnam or or worse by openly getting involved.

We need a dialogue with the Soviet Union. Moreover, I do have a plan to break up the Warsaw Pact. One not as immediate or violent as the Secretary's plan, but one that will ensure that we can transition the Pact's countries into democracy peacefully and without war.

A rash response as the Secretary favours will trigger a nuclear war, make no mistake."

August 20-24: Kennedy campaigned through Texas, Florida, Arkansas and Missouri with Governor Connally and Senators Smathers and Yarborough. Here, he continued his line of attack of Republicans being a front for big business, bent on running the country as a business when it is plainly not one. He also kept up attacks on Dillon's lack of experience, and hammered on the amount of ego the Secretary had for comparing himself to Eisenhower.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #316 on: March 04, 2019, 08:16:40 PM »

Turn XV

August 26th-29th

Despite Southern Agitation, Democratic National Convention is expected to go smoothly

Despite the southern delegates refusing to endorse or back Senator Kennedy, the Convention, and the Nomination, is most likely his and Connally's on the first Ballot, thus avoiding the near disaster that was caused by the Republican National Convention.

Dillion's remarks cause Controversy, can the Secretary explain himself?

On the Campaign trail, Republican Presidential Nominee and Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillion said extremely hawkish comments about sending weapons into Czechoslovakia and intervening in the Soviet's own intervention, claiming that the communist country is a member of NATO when it in fact, is a member of the Warsaw Pact instead. With a huge drop in support due to this gaffe, many are wondering if the former Secretary can recover.

US Ambassador to Guatemala assassinated

In the morning of August 29th, it was discovered that the US Ambassador to Guatemala was assassinated, but the assailant was unknown. How the Candidates respond could help determine the outcome of this race in the early months.

Disapprove : 61 %
Approve : 31 %
Unsure/No Opinion : 8 %

Dillion/Romney v Kennedy/Connally v Rockefeller/Anderson v Southerner Ticket

Kennedy/Connally : 48 %
Dillion/Romney : 30 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 14 %
Southern Ticket : 5 %
Undecided : 3 %

Kennedy/Connally : 53 %
Dillion/Romney : 33 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 10 %

Kennedy/Connally : 59 %
Dillion/Romney : 37 %

Moderator's Notes : This turn will last until Saturday afternoon, March 9th, at 3:30 PM Eastern Time. Make sure to PM me ASAP if you need an extension, preferably after you read this sentence. Extensions will be given for the requester and the requester only, not for the field at large, so if you need an extension, PM me.

This turn will last the extent of the 1968 Democratic National Convention from August 26th-29th and the same rules that came for the Republican National Convention will also be in effect here. Good luck on fighting those Southerners, Kennedy. I can't wait to do for the First Ballot so I can see what they try to pull for the Vice Presidential one.

Have fun.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #317 on: March 04, 2019, 09:50:14 PM »

List of speakers unveiled for Democratic National Convention

Keynote Address: Former Governor Terry Sanford of North Carolina

Senator George McGovern of South Dakota

Senator Walter Mondale of Minnesota

Senator Birch Bayh of Indiana

Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii

Senator Fred Harris of Oklahoma

Vice President Hubert Humphrey

Congresswoman Pasty Mink of Hawaii

Senator Carl Hayden of Arizona

Senator George Smathers of Florida

Governor Mills Godwin of Virginia

Senator Robert Kennedy's nominating speech to be delivered by his brother, Senator Ted Kennedy.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #318 on: March 04, 2019, 10:46:19 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2019, 11:02:46 PM by UWS »

Dillon's Interview with Howard K. Smith
Smith : Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I'm Howard K. Smith of CBS News and I am proud to host for our interview tonight, former Treasury Secretary C. Douglas Dillon, the Republican nominee for President. Good evening, Secretary.

Dillon : Good evening Howard.

Smith : Mr. Secretary, recently you delivered controversial comments on foreign policy that triggered so much scrutiny. In fact, your comments were labeled as extremely hawkish and some of the media claimed that you said that Czechoslovakia is a NATO member when it in fact it is a member of the Warsaw Pact instead. Can you clarify your remarks?

Dillon : Thanks for the question, Howard. First of all, I never claimed that Czechoslovakia was a member of NATO. I see that my remarks are taken out of context. I was talking about NATO expansion. I only said that this communist country is in a context of revolution and is fighting for its independence, but after liberalizing itself is getting invaded by Soviet troops. I said that in order to defend Czechoslovakia's freedom and independence and to counter the Soviet Union's influence in Eastern Europe, we should support Czechoslovakia's quest for protection, which includes Czechoslovakia becoming a NATO member (which must first be approved by the people of Czechoslovakia and then by us and our allies). And after that approval, Czechoslovakia would officially join NATO like Greece and Turkey did in 1952 and like Germany did in 1955. That would be beneficial because according to the 5th article of NATO's constitution, a NATO member attacked militarily by a geopolitical threat must earn the support of other members and so Czechoslovakia will count on us. And also, the Soviet Union has forced its occupied countries in Eastern Europe to refuse the aid provided by the Marshal Plan, but that will change when Czechoslovakia will have defended its independence and will have joined NATO, they will earn the economic aid provided by the Marshall Plan, rebuilding this country as well as its economy and clearing the way to this country's prosperity and freedom.

Smith : Next question : several voters are worried about a possible military intervention in Czechoslovakia under your plan. How will you intend to make sure that there will be no need for an intervention as we are already fighting in Vietnam?

Dillon : Well, we all agree and understand that the military option is the last resort and must remain the last resort. That's why, instead of sending troops in Czechoslovakia, we need to provide them in weapons in order to give them the ability to defend themselves against the Soviet troops. Look the Soviet Union is our main competitor when it comes to military power and so thanks to the provision of weapons from the most powerful military power in the world that is the United States, the people of Czechoslovakia will earn a decent chance to defeat the Soviets and defend their country's independence. Our support to them will be material. That's what we did with our French allies during the Indochina War (1946-1954). Instead of sending ground troops to support the French troops against the communist insurgency led by Ho Chi Minh, we provided them in weapons. So we supported our allies without involving into another while we were already fighting in Korea. My plan will promote peace through strength and we will not abandon our allies.

Smith : Secretary Dillon, thank you for joining us and good luck for your campaign.

Dillon : Thank you very much, Howard.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #319 on: March 07, 2019, 06:22:12 AM »

Keynote Speaker: Former Governor Terry Sanford (D-NC)

Fellow Democrats, our country stands at a critical juncture. Over the last four years, we have made great strides in civil rights, healthcare, infrastructure and jobs. The purchasing power of the average American is high, and unemployment is below 4%. Yet there is much to do as we progress forward into the new century.

As long as anyone in this country is unemployed, out job is far from over. So long as one person is forced to work two jobs, our job is far from over. So long as a person is unable to afford healthcare, our job is far from over. So long as businesses shortchange our workers, our job is far from over. So I say this: let us finish the job! Let us end our war in Vietnam and continue to lower our unemployment rate! Let us bring universal healthcare into this country!

This country is the leader of the free world; the bulwark of democracy. It is on us to lead the world forward, and it is on us not to leave a job half-done!

Let us finish the job John F Kennedy embarked on 8 years ago, and guide America into the new decade!

Senator Daniel Inouye (D-HI) addresses the convention

I served our nation on the fields of Europe in humanity's darkest hour. I know what war is like. It is a tragedy that one never wishes for, and when one has seen war, they never want to go back. I did go to war. I despise war as only a soldier can, but accept that sometimes, war is a necessary evil.

We seek not to ignite wars, but to extinguish them. We seek not to start crises, but end them. We walk the path of peace, but are preapred to climb the mountain of conflict if no other option is presented to us.

In the 442nd, our motto was 'Go for broke'. We threw everything we had at everything we did. So, to everyone here and those watching at home, I say that we will go for broke this November! And we will win because not everyone in this nation is born rich or privileged! That is the guiding principle of the Democratic Party!

Senator George Smathers (D-FL) addresses the convention

Why do we have a Democratic Party? What is the purpose of the Democratic Party? Let me tell you why we have one: because not everyone is born into wealth and privilege; because not everyone can be a big CEO or investment banker. We have a Democratic Party to represent those who support policies that benefit all, not just an elite few.

To my friends from the south: I understand your hesitation. I understand why you may be considering leaving this convention. However, I ask this: why should we let a man who wants to roll back every single domestic accomplishment over the last 8 years simply walk into the White House? Remember why you joined this party. It was not because you were born a member of the elite class of American society; it was because you were shortchanged by bigwigs who wanted nothing more than to further their own bottom line!

We are the party of the working class! We are the party of the middle class! We are not the party of the wealthy and privileged! And if our friends across the aisle want to call that the politics of envy, well that just shows us what their true colors are!

Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) nominates Senator Robert Kennedy for President

5 years ago, our oldest brother was gunned down in a mad, brutal act. There was so much he needed to do, and the world took his life before he could accomplish it. He represented hope, change and a brighter tomorrow. He brought optimism into politics and breathed new life into our nation.

While President Johns and I have our disagreements, there can be no doubt of what he has accomplished on the domestic front. Our workers enjoy high purchasing power. Unemployment is low. Our infrastructure has improved drastically.

We must not sabotage the progress made at home, and must end the war in Vietnam.

My brother has been a tireless fighter for the people of this nation, whether it's civil rights, standing up for our workers and middle class, or fighting the spread of communism, my brother has fought for those rights in the Justice Department and in the Senate. And I'm not just saying this because he's my brother *laughs*

To continue our progress at home, to ensure that our nation continues forward with its characteristic boldness, to forever enshrine the values of hope, change and optimism, to continue with out core values of life, liberty, and thepursuit of happiness, I ask you to nominate Senator Robert Francis Kennedy for President of the United States of America!
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #320 on: March 09, 2019, 12:36:32 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2019, 12:39:43 AM by UWS »

C. Douglas Dillon's campaign schedule

August 26
-George Romney campaigns for C. Douglas Dillon in Nevada where he woos the Mormon electorate that is crucial to a victory in Nevada.

August 27
-Dillon campaigns in Tampa, Florida where he gives a foreign policy speech in response to the assassination of Ambassador John Gordon Mein in Guatemala :

America has suffered a terrible loss. Our Ambassador to Guatemala John Gordon Mein has been assassinated by communist guerilleros in the context of the Guatemalean Civil War. May he rest in peace. And you have my word : when I'm President, we will find the perpetrators of this attack and we will bring them to justice because we will make America safe and strong unlike what the Johnson Administration has done. Under my leadership, we will increase the embassy security budget in order to make sure that our men and women serving our country overseas will have all the necessary equipment, arsenal and effectives to protect their lives and to defend U.S. embassies around the world. That way, tragedies like this one will never happen again. That way, we can ensure that our diplomatic missions around the world will be successful, making strong contributions to the restoration of peace around the world.

August 28
-Dillon campaigns in Pennsylvania where he reiterates his campaign promise that under his presidential leadership, America will use all of its energy resources, including coal, in order to get to energy independence.

August 29
-The Dillon/Romney ticket campaigns in Colorado and New Mexico where they promised to reform America's immigration system and to grant U.S. citizenship for illegal immigrants.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #321 on: March 09, 2019, 03:43:36 PM »

DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION, FIRST BALLOT FOR THE PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION (1304 Needed for Nomination)

Senator Robert F. Kennedy of New York - 1340 Delegates
Senator Al Gore of Tennessee - 988 Delegates
Representative Patsy Mink of Hawaii - 21 Delegates
Vice President Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota - 9 Delegates
Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota - 5 Delegates

DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION, FIRST BALLOT FOR THE VICE PRESIDENTIAL NOMINATION (1304 Needed for Nomination)

Governor John Connally of Texas - 1987 Delegates
Senator Edmund Muskie of Maine - 246 Delegates
Senator Harrison A. Williams of New Jersey - 195 Delegates
Former Governor Ross Barnett of Mississippi - 98 Delegates
Senator John L. McClellan of Arkansas - 56 Delegates
Abstain - 25 Delegates

Cronkite : "Unlike the Republican National Convention, it looks like the original ticket for the Presidential Nominee will be going forward into the general election. However, many southern delegates are now leaving the convention, saying "good luck, bobby!" like they did with President Truman in 1948. Even with Senator Smathers pleading with them to stay the course, the Southerners are refusing to do so, stating that Bobby will never have their support and they will form a ticket of their own unless he pledges to abolish the Civil Rights and Voting Rights acts, something considered unlikely and impossible by many Democrats. Thus, it looks like 1968 will be Kennedy and Connally on the Democratic ticket, Dillion and Romney on the Republican Ticket, Rockefeller and Anderson on the Independent Ticket, and two southern democrats on the southern ticket. We have some ideas for that ticket with many thinking either Former Governor Ross Barnett of Mississippi, Former Governor Orval Faubus of Arkansas, or Senator John Sparkman of Alabama will head the ticket while Senator Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, Senator John C. Stennis of Mississippi, or Senator Richard Russell Jr. of Georgia are being considered for the Vice Presidential slot. This election will be one to not miss and hopefully, it will end without no one winning an electoral majority. Good night everyone and see you soon."
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #322 on: March 10, 2019, 12:27:20 PM »

Governor John Connally Address the Convection

Governor John Connally (D-TX)- Today is a great day for an America. The Democratic party has not only just nominated one of the most experienced candidates but also a candidate that is going to blaze a new path for a new generation of leaders. Senator Robert Kennedy is the future of this nation, C. Douglas Dillion is the past and by nominating Senator Kennedy, our country has taken one step further in progress for our nation. I am so honored to be nominated to stand alongside this great leader as we blaze the path forward for our nation past the Vietnam War.

With Senator Kennedy in the White House, the Democrats would not only elect that trailblazing leader but they also elected a leader that has experience far beyond his opponent. By electing the Kennedy-Connally ticket, the American people are electing a ticket that has experience in the executive branch, in the legislative branch and has someone in the White House with experience in the Governor's mansion. If you ever wondering why Senator Kennedy always seems prepared and knowledgable, its because his experience dealing with almost every major issue in the past decade and he knows what is right and wrong about them.

Our opponent is, to say it lightly, has less experience than Kennedy. C. Douglas Dillion has far less experience and is not ready to take on the challenges of the oval office especially as a war wages overseas. I do not trust Dillion with the powers of the office of the presidency and I don't believe the American people should either and that is why Dillion has constantly trailed Senator Kennedy in the polls. The only reason why Dillion even earned the nomination was because of chaos within his own party and he couldn't even bring his party to support his own vice-presidential choice. What does that say about Dillion? It means that not only is Dillion far less experienced than Senator Kennedy but he does not hold the leadership of Senator Kennedy.

Our nation has already seen the leadership of Senator Kennedy, he was the leader after his brother was killed and our nation was shocked. Senator Kennedy has led us forward and past the tragedy in our past like our President's assassination and Martin Luther King's murder. That was not C. Douglas Dillion, that was Senator Kennedy.

I am proud to be nominated to be Senator Kennedy's running mate and the whole Democratic party including the southern delegates should be proud that Senator Kennedy is our nominee. If the southern delegates decide that they aren't proud and continue this protest then I don't believe they have any right to complain when C. Douglas Dillion is elected President. Dillion is not a leader, is not experience and is not the man for the job. Senator Kennedy is the man for the job, the man to fix education as I did in Texas, the man to allow equality between men and women across the country like I did in Texas and the man to end the war in Vietnam.

In November, I will be proud to be standing in the ballot booth to cast a vote for the Kennedy-Connally ticket. We are the most experince ticket and the leaders to guide our nation forward into the 1970's.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #323 on: March 10, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »

Kennedy accepts the nomination

"Ladies and gentlemen, delegates to this convention and to Democrats around the country, I humbly accept your nomination for President of the United States of America.

In my four years as Attorney-General, we made great strides in ensuring this nation was more equal. We prevented a nuclear war with Cuba and the Soviet Union. In my time as a Senator, I have supported civil and labor rights. I have supported quality education accessible to all. I have supported good, affordable healthcare for all. These are the points of our party. The Democratic Party stands for the people of this nation, not those at the top. For the many, not the few.

Of course, I would like to thank my wife Ethel and our children for putting up with me for this long. *laughs* You have been an enormous amount of support to me over these past few months, and I know you will continue to be so as we head I to the home stretch. I'd like to thank all who have addressed this convention; you have made our case to the people of this nation. Finally, I'd like to thank Governor Connally for joining me on this crazy ride.

Jack, I know that you are looking down on us. We will not let you down. We will not disappoint you. We will take this all the way to the finish line and we will be the first ones to cross it! We bring modern ideas of education, healthcare, labor rights and diplomacy. These are all key fronts of our battle against communism. Yet, our opponents want to cut funding to public education, healthcare and housing programs so they can give more tax cuts to the big end of town.

I'm not going to deny I come from money. But when one does, is it not one's responsibility to share a greater tax burden for the benefit of all? I certainly consider it to be. Our poorest citizens live ration to ration, and that is unforgivable. So long as there is one person who goes hungry, we still have a job to do. So long as one person is unable to afford a doctor, we still have a job to do. So long as one person is forced to live on the streets, we still have a job to do.

Fellow Democrats, I ask for your support to move this country forward in November. It will not be an easy fight. I imagine people will always oppose what we do. But we did not become Democrats to quit! We became Democrats because we fight for what we believe in until the sun falls into the sea.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am humbled at the trust you have placed in me, and I will not let you down. Thank you.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #324 on: March 11, 2019, 07:59:32 AM »

Turn XVI

August 30th-September 6th

Ross Barnett declares Segregationist Candidacy, Senator Russell of Georgia to be Running Mate

With the Democratic Convention declared a general success and the General Election now under way, Senator Kennedy has received yet another bump in the polls as Dillion made yet another gaffe with the idea of sending weapons to aid the Czechoslovak people, seemingly oblivious to the very real threat of that escalating the cold war between the powers. At the same time, Rockefeller rises due to Dillion's lack of understanding the idea of the Warsaw Pact. However, a new challenger has appeared, one that seems able to be able to end the idea of the south going to Dillion and making his path to victory that much tighter. Former Mississippi Governor Ross Barnett has been nominated by the Southern Democrats to run for President solely in the South and his running mate, Senator Richard Russell Jr of Georgia, is a strong man for the position. On running, Barnett said "While I don't like Dillion, I most certainly don't like Kennedy and Rockefeller either. America has to choose between three yanks this year! Three! I'm giving my region a real option, one that could make it better and give it a voice."

First Presidential Debate scheduled for September 6th

A recent announcement rocked the airwaves that there will be 5 Presidential and 3 Vice Presidential Debates throughout the General Election, marking the first ones since 8 years ago. The first topic will be on Vietnam and all the debates will only have the major party tickets as participants.

Battleground States :  Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Dillion EVs rn : 40
Kennedy EVs rn : 60
Rockefeller EVs rn : 4
Barnett EVs rn : 53
Toss-up : 381

President Johnson approval rating
Disapprove : 57 %
Approve : 33 %
Unsure/No Opinion : 10 %

Barnett/Russell v Dillion/Romney v Kennedy/Connally v Rockefeller/Anderson

Kennedy/Connally : 52 %
Dillion/Romney : 28 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 12 %
Barnett/Russell : 4 %

Kennedy/Connally : 59 %
Dillion/Romney : 25 %
Rockefeller/Anderson : 14 %
Undecided : 2 %

Kennedy/Connally : 63 %
Dillion/Romney : 32 %
Undecided : 5 %

Moderator's Notes : This turn will last until Saturday afternoon, March 16th, at 3:30 PM Eastern Time. Make sure to PM me ASAP if you need an extension, preferably after you read this sentence. Extensions will be given for the requester and the requester only, not for the field at large, so if you need an extension, PM me.

This turn will last from the day after the Democratic National Convention to the First Presidential Debate, which will come soon. All the same rules apply as before but now that it's a four way race, you have to choose every word carefully as one wrong word could cause a misstep. America doesn't want to be involved in any more foreign conflict, meaning that hawkish ideals won't win you any supporters while at the same time, America wants some change, so campaigning on the past 4 years isn't enough to help you. Expand your base and try and take support away from your opponents and preform your hardest in each Presidential Debate and Vice Presidential Debate as they may greatly affect the polls for the Election.

Alright, now have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies