The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 08:19:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 174365 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: December 03, 2018, 07:37:13 AM »

Gabbard was  in New Hampshire today, and was asked about 2020.  She said that she’s “seriously considering” a presidential run, but has no specific decision timeline in mind right now:

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/12/tulsi-gabbard-for-president-i-am-seriously-considering-it/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Gabbard would legit be the worst Dem nominee in years. She's horrific.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #426 on: December 03, 2018, 10:08:38 AM »

Booker says that during the holidays, he’ll decide whether to run for reelection, and “begin to think about running for president”:

https://pix11.com/2018/12/03/sen-cory-booker-says-hell-think-about-2020-presidential-run-over-the-holidays/

Sanders:

http://time.com/5469110/bernie-sanders-presidential-campaign-2020/

Bennet “seriously thinking about running”, according to three sources who talked to him in recent months:

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/senator-michael-bennet-seriously-thinking-about-2020-presidential-run
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #427 on: December 03, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »

Gabbard was  in New Hampshire today, and was asked about 2020.  She said that she’s “seriously considering” a presidential run, but has no specific decision timeline in mind right now:

https://www.civilbeat.org/2018/12/tulsi-gabbard-for-president-i-am-seriously-considering-it/

You think a President Gabbard would be worse than a President Webb?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #428 on: December 03, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »

Excellent news! She would be forced out of the HI primary if thats the case, depriving her of her house seat. She wouldnt win the presidential primary, and would just be one of the longshots who throw everything away for an iota of a chance.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #429 on: December 03, 2018, 02:31:48 PM »

Excellent news! She would be forced out of the HI primary if thats the case, depriving her of her house seat. She wouldnt win the presidential primary, and would just be one of the longshots who throw everything away for an iota of a chance.

Personally I think this is why she won’t run. She knows she can’t win - at least this cycle - and she’d be throwing away her congressional seat and platform. Also, if Sanders runs she loses her biggest asset of being able to run as a Sanders supporter.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #430 on: December 03, 2018, 02:46:36 PM »

Personally I think this is why she won’t run. She knows she can’t win - at least this cycle - and she’d be throwing away her congressional seat and platform. Also, if Sanders runs she loses her biggest asset of being able to run as a Sanders supporter.

Can't she run for both at the same time?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #431 on: December 03, 2018, 04:08:01 PM »

What appeal does Deval Patrick have?  Does he have any distinguishing features that I just don't know of?

He has great optics/character. A decent mix of progressive/establishment beliefs. One of the few African American governors in U.S. history.

Suffers from a lack of national popularity and a lot of ties to the Democratic establishment.

In a competitive primary, I can see his campaign going identically to that of Scott Walker's in 2016. Popular governor to the politicos, wins a poll or two, does good for a month or so and his campaign proceeds to nosedive completely.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #432 on: December 03, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »

More importantly wtf does julian Castro have. Of any presidential candidate he confuses me the most and I want to see him go down in flames
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #433 on: December 03, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »

More importantly wtf does julian Castro have. Of any presidential candidate he confuses me the most and I want to see him go down in flames

Decent charisma. Necessarily hasn't done much wrong in his career but HUD overspending would be a major campaign flaw. Latino with ties to California and Texas as well. He could be pushed as a young establishment Democratic candidate, but his odds of getting the VP seat are higher.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #434 on: December 03, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »

What appeal does Deval Patrick have?  Does he have any distinguishing features that I just don't know of?

He has great optics/character. A decent mix of progressive/establishment beliefs. One of the few African American governors in U.S. history.

Suffers from a lack of national popularity and a lot of ties to the Democratic establishment.

In a competitive primary, I can see his campaign going identically to that of Scott Walker's in 2016. Popular governor to the politicos, wins a poll or two, does good for a month or so and his campaign proceeds to nosedive completely.

His biggest challenge is making it into the main debate and not the undercard debate. This will become a huge problem for a lot candiates like Bullock as well with little name ID. I mean nobody's talking about him outside of this forum and some blogs, he has less than 40K followers on twitter and 50K on FB. The rules are going to have to be pretty lax for him to make it to the main debate.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #435 on: December 03, 2018, 06:17:27 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #436 on: December 03, 2018, 08:00:08 PM »

His anti-Pelosi gambit probably cost him any possible momentum for President or even a future in running for Markey's seat when he retires. I wonder if his constituents miss Tierney by now.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #437 on: December 03, 2018, 08:24:33 PM »

Please no, Seth.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #438 on: December 03, 2018, 09:17:10 PM »

Not sure if this was posted yet but here you go...

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #439 on: December 03, 2018, 09:56:27 PM »

Not sure if this was posted yet but here you go...

Looks like we could add Booker to the list.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #440 on: December 03, 2018, 11:19:23 PM »

Didn't see this in the last few pages:

Sen. Michael Bennet ‘Seriously Thinking’ About A 2020 Run For President (Bente Bierkeland, Colorado Public Radio)

I wasn't expecting this. I know Bennet has voiced frustration with the culture of the Senate, but I would have figured he would have left for agency work or private sector work before trying a Presidential run. It'd be pretty interesting seeing a race between him and Hickenlooper - Bennet's base seems like it would be rather small and niche and he hardly has a chance with anyone in the Progressive Wing who pays any attention to individual Senator's voting records.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #441 on: December 04, 2018, 08:55:39 AM »

Biden will make his decision within the next couple of months. 
JG

« Reply #442 on: December 04, 2018, 10:41:29 AM »

Sen. Michael Bennet ‘Seriously Thinking’ About A 2020 Run For President (Bente Bierkeland, Colorado Public Radio)

I wasn't expecting this. I know Bennet has voiced frustration with the culture of the Senate, but I would have figured he would have left for agency work or private sector work before trying a Presidential run. It'd be pretty interesting seeing a race between him and Hickenlooper - Bennet's base seems like it would be rather small and niche and he hardly has a chance with anyone in the Progressive Wing who pays any attention to individual Senator's voting records.

I remember him also being mentioned by Obama as a potential presidential candidate, which really surprised me at the time. I wonder if Patrick doesn't end up running, whether or not Obamaworld will throw its weight behind Bennet.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #443 on: December 04, 2018, 12:37:00 PM »

I didn't see this get posted: Avenatti out, thank goodness.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/04/avenatti-announces-that-he-will-not-run-for-president-in-2020-1043388
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #444 on: December 04, 2018, 12:55:17 PM »

He never had a chance anyway.
Kylar
Rookie
United States

« Reply #445 on: December 04, 2018, 12:56:47 PM »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/stacey-abrams-is-not-ruling-out-2020-presidential-run/ar-BBQuqTt
FYI...all I have to say to this is good grief.
new_patomic

« Reply #446 on: December 04, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »

Our long national nightmare is slightly less nightmarish.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #447 on: December 04, 2018, 02:10:33 PM »

More precisely, he said in the nex two months, which means that he will announce in February. And if he says that he's the most qualified, I guess that's a sign that he will run.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #448 on: December 04, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »

I remember him also being mentioned by Obama as a potential presidential candidate, which really surprised me at the time. I wonder if Patrick doesn't end up running, whether or not Obamaworld will throw its weight behind Bennet.

I doubt it, Bennet voted for Gorsuch. 

Based on Bennet's 2016 reelection numbers which mirrored the numbers of the Democratic Party in the state at the Congressional and Presidential level, even though he was running against a weak challenger, Bennet strikes me as a generic corporate Democrat.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #449 on: December 04, 2018, 05:57:13 PM »

More precisely, he said in the nex two months, which means that he will announce in February. And if he says that he's the most qualified, I guess that's a sign that he will run.

I don't think Biden will win the Nomination. I've read Articles out of IA that the Democrats over there want a younger Candidate.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies