The Official 2020 Census Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 02:09:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Official 2020 Census Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 56
Poll
Question: Are you taking part ?
Yes

No

Still undecided

Not an American, but I would

Not an American, but I would not

Not an American & still undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 200

Author Topic: The Official 2020 Census Thread  (Read 118582 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: July 08, 2019, 02:11:18 AM »

Trump exchanging the horses:

DOJ says new legal team will take over census case

The Justice Department announced Sunday night a new legal team will take over the Trump administration's fight to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

The department's spokesperson said in a statement that the DOJ is "shifting these matters to a new team of Civil Division lawyers" and it will be revealed in filings Monday.

The spokesperson did not give a reason for the change. Officials within the Civil Division's Federal Programs Branch had been lead on the census case up until now, but they are being replaced by a combination of career and political officials from the Civil Division's Consumer Protection Branch, a Justice official said.

"Since these cases began, the lawyers representing the United States in these cases have given countless hours to defending the Commerce Department and have consistently demonstrated the highest professionalism, integrity, and skill inside and outside the courtroom," DOJ spokesperson Kerri Kupec said in a statement.

"The Attorney General appreciates that service, thanks them for their work on these important matters, and is confident that the new team will carry on in the same exemplary fashion as the cases progress," the statement continues.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/07/politics/doj-new-legal-team-census/index.html
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #151 on: July 08, 2019, 06:17:48 PM »

Trump exchanging the horses:

DOJ says new legal team will take over census case

The Justice Department announced Sunday night a new legal team will take over the Trump administration's fight to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

The department's spokesperson said in a statement that the DOJ is "shifting these matters to a new team of Civil Division lawyers" and it will be revealed in filings Monday.

The spokesperson did not give a reason for the change. Officials within the Civil Division's Federal Programs Branch had been lead on the census case up until now, but they are being replaced by a combination of career and political officials from the Civil Division's Consumer Protection Branch, a Justice official said.

"Since these cases began, the lawyers representing the United States in these cases have given countless hours to defending the Commerce Department and have consistently demonstrated the highest professionalism, integrity, and skill inside and outside the courtroom," DOJ spokesperson Kerri Kupec said in a statement.

"The Attorney General appreciates that service, thanks them for their work on these important matters, and is confident that the new team will carry on in the same exemplary fashion as the cases progress," the statement continues.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/07/politics/doj-new-legal-team-census/index.html

Once again, we all spoke too soon. This issue will never die until Trump gets his way, which he will, because he always does.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #152 on: July 08, 2019, 06:48:47 PM »

All he's left with now is FUD, creating Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt about whether people will be asked the citizenship question in 2020, which they won't.  There's no way to get it past SCOTUS in time and there's no way Congress agrees to either a delay or extra funding even if by some mischance I'm wrong about SCOTUS.  Roberts; decision left the door open to a future Census asking the question after having properly established a credible reason for asking it, not to Trump trying yet again to ask it in 2020.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #153 on: July 08, 2019, 09:30:47 PM »

AG Barr says the Supreme Court was wrong, it is legal to ask about citizenship on the Census, they'll be announcing another way soon:
https://news.yahoo.com/justice-department-shaking-legal-team-005912522.html
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #154 on: July 08, 2019, 10:09:22 PM »

Trump's crony essentially saying that there are not three equal but seperate branches of government. Be a good American and bend the knee to the Cheeto King (or else).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #155 on: July 08, 2019, 10:48:41 PM »

Lap dog rolls over on command.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #156 on: July 08, 2019, 11:09:29 PM »

So, executive branch ignores ruling by the judicial branch, and the legislative branch just sits there and claims either everything is fine or there's no reason to act. Squinting

This is a true constitutional crisis. The executive branch is flagrantly ignoring the Constitution and the legislative branch is doing nothing about it. Disgusting
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2019, 11:14:39 PM »

So, executive branch ignores ruling by the judicial branch, and the legislative branch just sits there and claims either everything is fine or there's no reason to act. Squinting

This is a true constitutional crisis. The executive branch is flagrantly ignoring the Constitution and the legislative branch is doing nothing about it. Disgusting

We've been here since the day Trump pretended to take the Oath of Office while violating the Emoluments clause. This is just more of the same.  They're never going to stop while they still have any power at all.

Seeing the name of the Party of Lincoln worn by this group of vile would-be autocrats is both sad and horrifying. We all need to set aside our differences and make sure that our democracy is saved, the ideology of modern "Republicanism" rejected utterly, and the criminals at the heart of the Trump administration spend the rest of their lives in prison.

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:13 PM »

It's all because our Constitution was designed for Legislative and Executive and Judicial to "check & balance" one another along those institutional lines, and within the Legislative even with the House/Senate. As well as federal/state.

That's why Washington argued against partisanship, which happened quickly after the new government formed, within his own administration.

The Constitution wasn't built to deal with this situation, especially since we've now moved into hyper-partisanship. The rivalry being between political parties instead of these institutions undermines the whole system set-up by the Constitution.

The question is how do we resolve this without going to a new Constitution (and whatever it would entail to get there, and is overall highly unlikely)?
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2019, 11:49:53 PM »

It's all because our Constitution was designed for Legislative and Executive and Judicial to "check & balance" one another along those institutional lines, and within the Legislative even with the House/Senate.

That's why Washington argued against partisanship, which happened quickly after the new government formed, within his own administration.

The constitution wasn't built to deal with this situation, especially since we've now moved into hyper-partisanship.

The question is how do we resolve this without going to a new Constitution (and whatever it would entail to get there, and is overall highly unlikely)?

The problem is that the Founding Fathers thought they were "solving" the causes of the rise of political parties. The entire system they built on top of the premise is, obviously, fundamentally flawed. So really I think we should throw the whole thing out and try again, although that would never happen and I don't trust this batch of "leaders" to rewrite it. Barring that, I don't see how we can fix it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #160 on: July 09, 2019, 12:00:59 AM »

The Supreme Court never said that asking about citizenship in the Census is inherently illegal.  It said the administration has to present a credible, legitimate reason for it.   That's a tall order and hard for me to see how they would manage it but Barr saying he believes they have a way to do it legally and meet the requirement set by SCOTUS is not at all the same as defying SCOTUS.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #161 on: July 09, 2019, 12:14:12 AM »

Pelosi will no doubt release a spooky sounding statement in a challenge to Trump. Cuck Schumer's interns will probably tweet a quote highlighting the Republicans hypocricy on the issue since we all know the Democratic Party doesn't know how to respond to any issue without the desperate approval of the Republican party.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #162 on: July 09, 2019, 01:38:44 AM »

I thought Jeff Sessions would be the worst AG of my life time. I was clearly wrong. Trump always manages to out-disgrance himself. If congressional GOPers would be sane, they'd demand his resignation or impeach. They would have impeached Holder for 10% of what Barr has done.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #163 on: July 09, 2019, 02:01:01 AM »

I thought Jeff Sessions would be the worst AG of my life time. I was clearly wrong. Trump always manages to out-disgrance himself. If congressional GOPers would be sane, they'd demand his resignation or impeach. They would have impeached Holder for 10% of what Barr has done.
We're headed down a crazy path.

October 08 2048 - "President Donald Trump II (junior) impeached for not receiving oral sex offered by staffer."
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #164 on: July 09, 2019, 07:17:27 PM »

If you would have told me that Sessions would end up having any redeeming qualities about him with hindsight back in January 2017 or whatever, I would have been astounded. And that's saying a lot since generally I find it harder than ever to be shocked by anything in our politics.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2019, 07:19:09 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2019, 08:30:54 PM »

Wouldn't the reason be that the old lawyers just lost at the Supreme Court?  Isn't that a good enough reason?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2019, 07:37:14 AM »

Prepare for fireworks.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #168 on: July 11, 2019, 07:55:27 AM »

Prepare for fireworks.

I know “constitutional crisis” gets thrown around a lot, but...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »

Trump's Executive Action needs to be swiftly struck down by a Court then, because the President has no authority to deal with the Census on his own ...

From the US constitution:

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.

The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2019, 12:25:10 PM »

Prepare for fireworks.

I fully expect the Supreme Court to uphold any executive order. 
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2019, 12:26:27 PM »

Prepare for fireworks.

As they should. Running the executive branch is literally the President's job.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2019, 12:28:30 PM »

Prepare for fireworks.

There is zero reason for them to uphold it.   The administration has done literally nothing to resolve the previous issues in the case that struck it down.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2019, 12:31:30 PM »

Prepare for fireworks.

As they should. Running the executive branch is literally the President's job.

However, the manner in which the census is conducted is set by Congress, not by the executive branch.  See Tender's quote above.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »

Prepare for fireworks.

There is zero reason for them to uphold it.   The administration has done literally nothing to resolve the previous issues in the case that struck it down.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies