Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 03:30:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 77
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 129815 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: April 30, 2019, 03:51:10 PM »

This is an interesting take, it is probably one of the worst polled issues Bernie has taken a stance on, and it was highly publicized. Think Biden's entry is masking some of the backlash he's gotten on it.

1. I doubt that’s why Bernie’s slipped though. I think the reason he might’ve slipped is some of his “weak” supporters are going to Joe. It makes a lot of sense to me as a plurality of Sanders and Biden supporters rank the both of them as their second choices. I also don’t think Sanders’ answer was publicized that much.

2. Other polling (although it was like one poll) showed that the majority of voters, at different degrees, support felons voting.
Thatkat04
« Reply #1376 on: April 30, 2019, 03:53:41 PM »

Another day, another example of the lying media manufacturing consent.

Here is a more recent poll for you ....

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but it's utterly baffling that the candidate with the least progressive record on civil rights and social justice issues is overwhelmingly leading amongst minorities. I assume they just see him as that cool dude who was Obama's VP and haven't actually examined his record.

Replace a few words and you have the same exact question Sander's supporters asked in 2016 about why Hillary dominated with non-white voters.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1377 on: April 30, 2019, 04:06:04 PM »

This is an interesting take, it is probably one of the worst polled issues Bernie has taken a stance on, and it was highly publicized. Think Biden's entry is masking some of the backlash he's gotten on it.

1. I doubt that’s why Bernie’s slipped though. I think the reason he might’ve slipped is some of his “weak” supporters are going to Joe. It makes a lot of sense to me as a plurality of Sanders and Biden supporters rank the both of them as their second choices. I also don’t think Sanders’ answer was publicized that much.

2. Other polling (although it was like one poll) showed that the majority of voters, at different degrees, support felons voting.

People overwhelmingly support as we saw in FL restoring voting rights after they've served their time. Bernie's idea of letting them is universally opposed ranging from 75% to 65% in the Quinnipiac poll.

https://www.businessinsider.com/majority-oppose-bernie-sanders-inmate-prisoner-voting-plan-insider-poll-2019-4

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1378 on: April 30, 2019, 10:06:34 PM »

Am I the only one who truly had gained respect for Bernie to have the balls to go out on record with that (IMO correct) position? I am moving to Lean Biden from Likely.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1379 on: May 01, 2019, 07:04:58 PM »

Am I the only one who truly had gained respect for Bernie to have the balls to go out on record with that (IMO correct) position? I am moving to Lean Biden from Likely.

I did too. He still probably won't get my vote in the primary though, but I definitely appreciate his view on this. He is way ahead of the rest of the country that still stupidly gets manipulated so easily by fear tactics.
Yang2020
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -2.09

« Reply #1380 on: May 02, 2019, 10:37:14 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2019, 10:53:20 PM by Yang2020 »

Quinnipiac poll shows 31%-65% opposition to Sanders' proposal to allow current prisoners to vote:
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1124154894464757764?s=20

52% opposed to free college, 54% opposed if this were to be done by new tax on the wealthy:
https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1124157228838211584?s=20
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1381 on: May 02, 2019, 11:23:05 PM »

Alot of people dont get, the Banks are writing off student loan debt anyways. By the time people become seniors, they become even more eligible for a total discharge, anyways.

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1382 on: May 03, 2019, 12:35:35 AM »

I personally support Sanders's position, but the way he worded it was probably not the best. It just lends itself to attack ads.
Higgins
« Reply #1383 on: May 03, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »

Alot of people dont get, the Banks are writing off student loan debt anyways. By the time people become seniors, they become even more eligible for a total discharge, anyways.

The problem is, my girlfriend and I were discussing this ourselves. She's more left than I am, but she's also someone with student debt who works very hard: Nothing is "free." It's people like she and I who would be paying for 'free' college.
Higgins
« Reply #1384 on: May 03, 2019, 05:31:41 PM »

The problem is, my girlfriend and I were discussing this ourselves. She's more left than I am, but she's also someone with student debt who works very hard: Nothing is "free." It's people like she and I who would be paying for 'free' college.

I had a hilarious discussion with someone on the subject last week, and their view went something like "I'm a Marxist, but Warren's student debt forgiveness plan goes too far."

That is pretty hilarious.

I have no real stance on student debt personally, other than perhaps we should create conditions where a person doesn't need to take a loan to go to college. Somewhere between pie in the sky 'free college' and where student loans are even a thing. Tax credits to lower income individuals? Expansion of grants or creation of new ones based on very specific needs? Not sure. But just pie in the sky "We're gonna make college free!"? Nothing is free.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1385 on: May 04, 2019, 02:15:53 AM »

Bernie's only path at this point is use his $$ advantage and run negative ads against Biden non stop in the early states. It's the only way to stop him, negative ads work and there's so much material to work from.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1386 on: May 04, 2019, 06:50:41 AM »

Bernie's only path at this point is use his $$ advantage and run negative ads against Biden non stop in the early states. It's the only way to stop him, negative ads work and there's so much material to work from.

Possible it could work in theory but in practice, the types of "negative" ads that Bernie's SJW advisors would tell him to run would be ads about how Biden put gang members in jail in the early 90s, such ads would actually help Biden.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1387 on: May 04, 2019, 07:10:10 AM »

Study: Hillary Clinton’s TV ads were almost entirely policy-free

And no one had so much bad material to work from as your favourite President Donald J Trump.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1388 on: May 04, 2019, 12:59:27 PM »

Why was this unstickied ?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1389 on: May 04, 2019, 06:04:00 PM »

Either unsticky all of them, or keep this one stickied.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1390 on: May 04, 2019, 06:18:25 PM »

I'm in favor of unsticking all of them, tbh.  We managed to get by just fine in past presidential primary cycles without five different candidate-specific threads stickied.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1391 on: May 04, 2019, 07:05:44 PM »

And no one had so much bad material to work from as your favourite President Donald J Trump.

Not this s*** again. Americans. Don't. Care. About. Policy. Trump didn't win for being some sort of wonk. His "policies" weren't, and still aren't substantive in the least bit, they were basically just applause lines which is why they fit so well into his ads. Clinton had policy ideas that never got any attention while Trump was sucking up all the media attention. As such putting policy ideas in her ads would not have helped her as long as she was perceived of a certain way. That's probably why she focused on personal ads, to try and improve the public's perceptions of her. Unfortunately, they clearly didn't work. So she was kind of damned either way because people with an already negative opinion of Clinton weren't suddenly going to turn around and say "you know, an article I read on Facebook says that the Clinton Foundation takes donations from ISIS, but she sure convinced me to vote for her due to her paid family leave policy!"
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1392 on: May 04, 2019, 09:21:22 PM »

I'm in favor of unsticking all of them, tbh.  We managed to get by just fine in past presidential primary cycles without five different candidate-specific threads stickied.

Maybe we should set a strict threshold for the sake of fairness ....

Why not say the top-6 candidates for each major party (Dem and Rep only).
But each candidate must at least reach 4% support, by the Real Clear Politics average of polls.
Each candidate must also still be officially in the race (if the candidate publically exits the race, they are no longer stickied).
The poll average on the 1st of each month will be reviewed, and that is what will be used for that full month (so that we limit the amount of tedious "babysitting" required).

So for example, this (below) is the RCP poll average as of yesterday (May 3).
Thus, the top-6 candidates stickied will be : Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris, Buttigieg and O'Rourke.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1393 on: May 04, 2019, 11:47:23 PM »

Not this s*** again. Americans. Don't. Care. About. Policy. Trump didn't win for being some sort of wonk. His "policies" weren't, and still aren't substantive in the least bit, they were basically just applause lines which is why they fit so well into his ads. Clinton had policy ideas that never got any attention while Trump was sucking up all the media attention. As such putting policy ideas in her ads would not have helped her as long as she was perceived of a certain way. That's probably why she focused on personal ads, to try and improve the public's perceptions of her. Unfortunately, they clearly didn't work. So she was kind of damned either way because people with an already negative opinion of Clinton weren't suddenly going to turn around and say "you know, an article I read on Facebook says that the Clinton Foundation takes donations from ISIS, but she sure convinced me to vote for her due to her paid family leave policy!"

Stop making excuses.
James Monroe

« Reply #1394 on: May 05, 2019, 07:03:45 PM »

This egotistical boosting is why I detest the Sanders movement.  If they cared about the future of our nation they would say the same for several candidates running against Sanders. Oh no, we can't let the other slimy Neo-liberals get in our way, it's all King Bernie to the rescue, for he'll save us from the mercy of Trump.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1395 on: May 05, 2019, 07:16:00 PM »

This egotistical boosting is why I detest the Sanders movement.  If they cared about the future of our nation they would say the same for several candidates running against Sanders. Oh no, we can't let the other slimy Neo-liberals get in our way, it's all King Bernie to the rescue, for he'll save us from the mercy of Trump.

With the exception of Warren, the other candidates probably *aren’t* going to fundamentally transform the country, though. They’re just normal Democrats.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1396 on: May 06, 2019, 11:27:28 AM »

I personally support Sanders's position, but the way he worded it was probably not the best. It just lends itself to attack ads.
Yeah, that’s my biggest issue with it. Especially in regards to the Boston Bomber.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1397 on: May 06, 2019, 12:28:31 PM »

With the exception of Warren, the other candidates probably *aren’t* going to fundamentally transform the country, though. They’re just normal Democrats.

Bernie and Warren are no different. Neither of them are going to transform the country given the current make up of congress.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1398 on: May 06, 2019, 01:30:20 PM »

Bernie was able to get close to Hillary due to it being one-on-one, he can't take down Biden, with Warren in the race.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1399 on: May 06, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »

Bernie and Warren are no different. Neither of them are going to transform the country given the current make up of congress.

By that standard, why have a primary at all, if no one’s going to be able to do anything with this Congress?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies