Ilhan Omar describes the 9/11 attack “as some people who did something”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 07:55:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar describes the 9/11 attack “as some people who did something”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar describes the 9/11 attack “as some people who did something”  (Read 12537 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »

... and trashing our nation non stop Omar comments time and time (again) ...

Where have you been reading that Omar has been "trashing our nation time and time again?"
You say this like she says things everyday. Maybe you should put your energy into someone else who truly is "trashing our nation" and its institutions "time and time again" .... trump.
I swear you act like someone who is totally obsessed with Omar.

I am not a Trump supporter
Yet when you take the time to trash somebody, it's never Trump. You're a Trump... apologist? No, that's too strong of a word. You're a "MAGA enabler".
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2019, 12:10:35 PM »

I do find that Omar is totally ungrateful at this nation when the fact is people like her should be among the most grateful. They gave her refuge , opportunity, and freedom that she would never have gotten in Somalia yet all she does is attacks this nation.

Omar is trying desperately to get people to care about fighting climate change, supports the rights of ALL Americans (LGBTQ and immigrants included)  and she fights against corporate lobbyist corruption of politicians and money influencing politics, including but DEFINITELY not only AIPAC pro-Israel lobbyists who bribe our legislators to support Israel unconditionally on every single issue every single time, even if Israel does something terrible. Lile I said, not just AIPAC / Israel, but also corporations, big pharma, big oil, Koch Brothers, and the list goes on.

Trumpanzees cheer on Trump destroying our democracy and turning America into a banana republic, but criticize Omar's love and passion for America and it's ACTUAL values (not "white conservative values"). The hypocrisy is staggering.

Support for Israel is very much an actual American value, whether or not you think that is a good thing.
If Omar had said that politicians only support gay rights because they want to get money from rich gays, would progressives still be okay with her?

Lmao.

Israel is another country. Gay people are a (often persecuted) minority within the US.

Besides, a more apt comparison here would be if Democrats (or whoever) we’re choosing to let gay people who happened to commit crimes off the hook because they’re gay. In this case, the Right/center is demanding that the US support anything and everything Israel does just because it’s Israel.

If Israel were treated just like any other country by the international left and at the UN, rather than singled out for disproportionate criticism, the American mainstream might not feel the need to be so defensive of an American ally.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »

I do find that Omar is totally ungrateful at this nation when the fact is people like her should be among the most grateful. They gave her refuge , opportunity, and freedom that she would never have gotten in Somalia yet all she does is attacks this nation.

Omar is trying desperately to get people to care about fighting climate change, supports the rights of ALL Americans (LGBTQ and immigrants included)  and she fights against corporate lobbyist corruption of politicians and money influencing politics, including but DEFINITELY not only AIPAC pro-Israel lobbyists who bribe our legislators to support Israel unconditionally on every single issue every single time, even if Israel does something terrible. Lile I said, not just AIPAC / Israel, but also corporations, big pharma, big oil, Koch Brothers, and the list goes on.

Trumpanzees cheer on Trump destroying our democracy and turning America into a banana republic, but criticize Omar's love and passion for America and it's ACTUAL values (not "white conservative values"). The hypocrisy is staggering.

Support for Israel is very much an actual American value, whether or not you think that is a good thing.
If Omar had said that politicians only support gay rights because they want to get money from rich gays, would progressives still be okay with her?

Lmao.

Israel is another country. Gay people are a (often persecuted) minority within the US.

Besides, a more apt comparison here would be if Democrats (or whoever) we’re choosing to let gay people who happened to commit crimes off the hook because they’re gay. In this case, the Right/center is demanding that the US support anything and everything Israel does just because it’s Israel.

If Israel were treated just like any other country by the international left and at the UN, rather than singled out for disproportionate criticism, the American mainstream might not feel the need to be so defensive of an American ally.

We provide them with direct arms sales - doesn’t that warrant a higher standard?

I do agree that the UN is unfairly biased against Israel, though.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2019, 12:12:42 PM »

Where have you been reading that Omar has been "trashing our nation time and time again?"
You say this like she says things everyday. Maybe you should put your energy into someone else who truly is "trashing our nation" and its institutions "time and time again" .... trump.

Yet when you take the time to trash somebody, it's never Trump. You're a Trump... apologist? No, that's too strong of a word. You're a "MAGA enabler".
I personally prefer the term “MAGA collaborator” when addressing my place in the movement.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »

Lmao.

We provide them with direct arms sales - doesn’t that warrant a higher standard?

Arguably it does warrant a higher standard.  But the fact of the matter is Americans hold an emotional attachment to Israel that they don't have for most other countries.  To cite corporate lobbyists or whoever as the reason for support for Israel is to insult the values of many (if not most) Americans.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2019, 12:21:45 PM »

Lol I have trashed Trump many times on this forum
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2019, 12:27:40 PM »

Lmao.

Arguably it does warrant a higher standard.  But the fact of the matter is Americans hold an emotional attachment to Israel that they don't have for most other countries.  To cite corporate lobbyists or whoever as the reason for support for Israel is to insult the values of many (if not most) Americans.
Gay ethnostate!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »

She's an absolute disgrace and should be expelled from the Democratic conference. Sometimes it feels as she is a Russian bot to help Donald Trump winning reelection. Omar and Steve King are the absolute worst members of congress.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2019, 12:49:56 PM »

Lmao.

What Omar was saying, though, is that the sheer number of members of Congress who are vociferously defensive of Israel’s government no matter what, is probably substantial higher than it otherwise would have been without lobbying/donations. Strong support for Israel would obviously still be strong without it.

I do see your point, though.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2019, 02:13:56 PM »

Old School is a Good Republican.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2019, 02:51:08 PM »

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2019, 03:53:14 PM »

^The GOP are also happy to weaponize Omar's faith in a different, more literal way (read: Saudi Arabia).
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2019, 04:05:20 PM »

Anyway, Omar is right. 9/11 was some people who did something. Is that not an objectively correct statement?

Basically.  I took a cab ride with my mom to the doctor today.  That's basically "some people doing something," and it is incredibly ignorant that "some people [doing] something" is as stigmatized now as it is.  It's 2019, people.  People do something a lot.  Do folks suddenly wish that people didn't do something?

I blame ignorance and the media.  And the loss of family values in this country.  And the Jews.  And also clown sightings which are controlling our minds.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2019, 04:19:08 PM »

The neocon media is going to pounce on her no matter what she says. She can't win for losing. I'll always respect her for telling the truth about Israel but it's best she just shut up for a bit.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2019, 04:29:16 PM »

The neocon media is going to pounce on her no matter what she says. She can't win for losing. I'll always respect her for telling the truth about Israel but it's best she just shut up for a bit.

When should she be allowed to complain again? Before or after the Republicans put her on a bus to one of their concentration camps?
Why are these kind of white noise paranoia posts routinely tolerated whereas my last post will (most surely) be deleted? Serious question.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »

When should she be allowed to complain again? Before or after the Republicans put her on a bus to one of their concentration camps?
Why are these kind of white noise paranoia posts routinely tolerated whereas my last post will (most surely) be deleted? Serious question.

most of us have our opinions on posts getting modded for "excessive hyperbole", but being completely honest, at least 90% of Ghost of Ruin's posts on here really fit that description
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »

It was deleted and infracted, wtf are you crying about?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »

Yeah. This time.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2019, 06:15:03 PM »

Yeah. This time.

Lmao at the imagined victmization here.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2019, 06:16:07 PM »

You have to be trolling on purpose right now. If not, this is probably the most ironic post in forum history.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2019, 06:29:18 PM »

Yeah. This time.

Lmao at the imagined victmization here.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2019, 06:32:00 PM »

Yeah. This time.
Quit with the "OH IM BEING PERSECUTED" It's bogus!!!!!!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »

Yeah. This time.
Quit with the "OH IM BEING PERSECUTED" It's bogus!!!!!!

The irony is rich here.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2019, 07:38:25 PM »

See now imagine twenty years from now when we will have like thirty Omar’s in the House. See why we need that wall?

Good point. We'll build a wall on our border with Somalia so they can't walk into our country like Omar did.
Yes! And Kenya will pay for it!
We have VERY different senses of humor, lmao
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2019, 08:29:20 PM »

Every time I see something about Ilhan Omar I have to check things out to determine (A) what it is she really said, and (B) what idea was she trying to convey.

Ilhan Omar wears her heart on her sleeve, despite efforts to appear cold and unemotional.  Let's look at the statement she made:

Quote from: Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN)
“CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

What is she saying here?  What she's really saying is that the worst thing about 9/11 is the blowback, perceived and real, against Muslim-Americans, and not the attack itself.  What she was really saying is that her main concern was that Muslim-Americans continue to enjoy the individual liberties that this nation guarantees PERSONS (not just citizens), and the worst thing the 9/11 attackers did was put Muslim-Americans in a more vulnerable situation than they were in before 9/11.

Now the 9/11 attackers were Arab Muslims who entered this country and use their time here to fashion a plot that would wreck havoc on our financial and political centers.  Those were the somebodies and that was the something.  Perhaps Ms. Omar was trying to be moderate and not inflame, but this, of course, is the same woman who says that the Jews have hypnotized the World, so I'm not inclined to give her credit for moderation.

No, Ms. Omar said what she could because she is incapable of blaming Muslim Jihadists for anything.  Even if they are Jihadist Terrorists, she cannot call them by name and acknowledge what they did.  If she had said something like "CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some Muslim Jihidists that represent only a fringe of Islam committed atrocities against America, a land that had welcomed them in, and while we were saddened beyond words as to the horror those people wrought, as American Muslim, we were concerned of the possibility of a public backlash that would assign blame for 9/11 to all Muslims and not just the terrorists responsible, which, in turn, would cause American Musilms to be at risk of  potentially losing access to our civil liberties.”  Such a statement would likely have not generated 1/1,000th the controversy of her actual statement because it would have included Ms. Omar actually blaming Muslim Terrorists for the deaths of Americans and the destruction of their properties.  Omar's hatred of America, however, is such that she probably couldn't even do that. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies