Ilhan Omar describes the 9/11 attack “as some people who did something”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:42:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar describes the 9/11 attack “as some people who did something”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar describes the 9/11 attack “as some people who did something”  (Read 12219 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2019, 08:49:27 PM »

Every time I see something about Ilhan Omar I have to check things out to determine (A) what it is she really said, and (B) what idea was she trying to convey

"... and then type out at least four paragraphs demonstrating that I accomplished neither."
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »

Every time I see something about Ilhan Omar I have to check things out to determine (A) what it is she really said, and (B) what idea was she trying to convey

"... and then type out at least four paragraphs demonstrating that I accomplished neither."

Did I (A) act like an adult, or (B) interrupt the Echo Chamber?  Replies like this suggest I did one or the other.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2019, 09:19:51 PM »

Did I (A) act like an adult, or (B) interrupt the Echo Chamber?  Replies like this suggest I did one or the other.

I thin her comments were tone-deaf but you missed the mark entirely. In no way do her comments reveal that she believes the worst part of 9/11 to be the effects on Muslim-Americans.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2019, 09:30:28 PM »

Every time I see something about Ilhan Omar I have to check things out to determine (A) what it is she really said, and (B) what idea was she trying to convey.

Ilhan Omar wears her heart on her sleeve, despite efforts to appear cold and unemotional.  Let's look at the statement she made:

Quote from: Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN)
“CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some people did something and that all of us were starting to lose access to our civil liberties.”

What is she saying here?  What she's really saying is that the worst thing about 9/11 is the blowback, perceived and real, against Muslim-Americans, and not the attack itself.  What she was really saying is that her main concern was that Muslim-Americans continue to enjoy the individual liberties that this nation guarantees PERSONS (not just citizens), and the worst thing the 9/11 attackers did was put Muslim-Americans in a more vulnerable situation than they were in before 9/11.

Now the 9/11 attackers were Arab Muslims who entered this country and use their time here to fashion a plot that would wreck havoc on our financial and political centers.  Those were the somebodies and that was the something.  Perhaps Ms. Omar was trying to be moderate and not inflame, but this, of course, is the same woman who says that the Jews have hypnotized the World, so I'm not inclined to give her credit for moderation.

No, Ms. Omar said what she could because she is incapable of blaming Muslim Jihadists for anything.  Even if they are Jihadist Terrorists, she cannot call them by name and acknowledge what they did.  If she had said something like "CAIR was founded after 9/11, because they recognized that some Muslim Jihidists that represent only a fringe of Islam committed atrocities against America, a land that had welcomed them in, and while we were saddened beyond words as to the horror those people wrought, as American Muslim, we were concerned of the possibility of a public backlash that would assign blame for 9/11 to all Muslims and not just the terrorists responsible, which, in turn, would cause American Musilms to be at risk of  potentially losing access to our civil liberties.”  Such a statement would likely have not generated 1/1,000th the controversy of her actual statement because it would have included Ms. Omar actually blaming Muslim Terrorists for the deaths of Americans and the destruction of their properties.  Omar's hatred of America, however, is such that she probably couldn't even do that. 

Fuzzy, you’re letting your own dislike of Omar immensely cloud your reading of this statement. What she was trying to emphasize was that the hijackers had no relation to pretty much any American Muslims. Before the attacks happened, the terrorists were just “some people” to the rest of the American Muslim  community. And the fact that the actions of those 19 people would basically cause the entire American Muslim community to be treated as second-class citizens and continually distrusted (at BEST).

And it is ridiculous to say that she has to say “oh yeah the terrorists were Muslim” when describing 9/11. No one does that with any other attack (and actually, most don’t with 9/11 either.

I understand it’s easier to look at this from your ridiculously biased perspective, but try to actually take a step back and look at things objectively. It doesn’t imply she “can’t say it was Muslims” or that this was “the biggest problem with 9/11”. All she’s saying is that it is a problem, and a problem that goes relatively unmentioned because a lot of people on your side of the aisle say “oh well, the Muslims deserved it because they did 9/11.” Omar was trying to counter those sorts of sentiments with her statement here. If you can’t see that then you’re consciously trying to interpret this in a way that lets you hate her more.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2019, 09:32:44 PM »

Actually you did ...
(C) Give us the usual Fuzzy anti-Islam, anti-Muslim bigotry crap veiled in your supposed "adult" and neutral responses. From here on forward, to be known as the "Fuzzy anti-Islam Echo Chatter."
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2019, 09:33:09 PM »

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2019, 09:34:12 PM »

She's an absolute disgrace and should be expelled from the Democratic conference. Sometimes it feels as she is a Russian bot to help Donald Trump winning reelection. Omar and Steve King are the absolute worst members of congress.

Imagine hating the left so much you'll repeat literal right-wing propaganda to justify your hatred lol
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2019, 09:53:43 PM »

She's an absolute disgrace and should be expelled from the Democratic conference. Sometimes it feels as she is a Russian bot to help Donald Trump winning reelection. Omar and Steve King are the absolute worst members of congress.

Imagine hating the left so much you'll repeat literal right-wing propaganda to justify your hatred lol

Sadly this is the state of the Democratic Party at this point.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2019, 10:21:34 PM »

Sadly this is the state of the Democratic Party at this point.

Huh
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2019, 10:25:17 PM »

Propganada lol, she said those words.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #135 on: April 12, 2019, 01:05:45 AM »

Except for when you "conveniently" remove the context to fit your personal agenda.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #136 on: April 12, 2019, 01:13:27 AM »

Except for when you "conveniently" remove the context to fit your personal agenda.

She clearly described the 9/11 attacks in a dismissive way and that is unacceptable. If she didnt know that then she would be then showing that she is pretty dumb as well and if you add in all her previous controversial statements then she would be one of the dumbest members of Congress as well.

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #137 on: April 12, 2019, 01:22:52 AM »

She clearly described the 9/11 attacks in a dismissive way and that is unacceptable. If she didnt know that then she would be then showing that she is pretty dumb as well and if you add in all her previous controversial statements then she would be one of the dumbest members of Congress as well.

Jesus Christ, you're more obsessed with her than I am, and that's coming from a guy who left his party over their treatment of her.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #138 on: April 12, 2019, 01:34:11 AM »

Jesus Christ, you're more obsessed with her than I am, and that's coming from a guy who left his party over their treatment of her.

Nah I just believe she should be stripped of her foreign policy committee assignments as a result of this and her past statements (The GOP stripped King of all of his).

The Democratic Party cant turn into the Labour Party

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: April 12, 2019, 02:57:34 AM »

He is absolutely obsessed with her.
And then to hear him say how Omar "clearly described" is pure trump-cultism and GOP trolling.
What she said has been taken out of context and reduced to the few words they want to hear to create fake controversy and drama.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »

That's... not the real cover, is it? Please tell me it isn't...
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »

Why can't Omar just focus on the needs of her district like the other freshmen instead of being in front of the cameras and magazines? Be more like Katie Hill, Lauren Underwood, and Lucy McBath and stop trying to be a celebrity.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »

Trump cherry picked what Rep. Omar said in her speech, took it wildly out of context, and intercut her out of context remarks with 9/11 footage. This, coupled with the NY Post cover page are extremely loud dogwhistles and will certainly result in an increase of death threats against Rep. Omar. What the right wing is intentionally doing will result in a congresswoman's life being put in increased danger. They know this and don't care, just like they don't care how their rhetoric has led (and will continue to lead) to so many right wing acts of terror, violence, and intimidation.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2019, 07:30:27 PM »

Christ. I hope nobody harms her. The president is supposed to UNITE the country. Trump has truly made America the land of "you're either with me, or you are my enemy".

Only the Sith deal in absolutes, Mr. "President".
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »

If worst came to be, Omar's family would have a very strong case against Trump and the Republican Party. We got to the point where one of the two major political parties being held liable for the murder of a Congresswoman is within the realm of plausibility.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »

If worst came to be, Omar's family would have a very strong case against Trump and the Republican Party. We got to the point where one of the two major political parties being held liable for the murder of a Congresswoman is within the realm of plausibility.

LOL such hyperbole. This is just a political campaign attack ad, one of many and Trump has been campaigning for re-election since inauguration.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2019, 07:58:48 PM »

LOL such hyperbole. This is just a political campaign attack ad, one of many and Trump has been campaigning for re-election since inauguration.
She had a death threat less than a week ago, and the president is stoking the flames here. He's literally choosing politics over her physical safety. Trump is proving to everybody that he's willing to risk her life in order to get / keep votes and support.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »

Former presidents and others of high importance have received death threats. Rep. Omar isn't the first one nor would she be the last. Of course, her life needs to be protected. However, she should have given a thought to the lives lost in 9/11 before spouting off on her nonsense.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2019, 08:03:15 PM »

I believe Omar used those words as a ham handed way of expressing that as far as Muslims as individuals, the content of the act was irrelevant in making determinations about their personal guilt, since they had nothing to do with it.

That being said, this IS a powerful ad, and a disinterested observer who wrongly inferred what the ad is implying might reasonably be upset. It's effective because is no name calling against Omar, just juxtapositions of footage. And the Democrats fantasizing about violence against the congresswoman and her family because she was caught in a political gaffe are offputting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies