Ilhan Omar describes the 9/11 attack “as some people who did something”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 01:49:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar describes the 9/11 attack “as some people who did something”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar describes the 9/11 attack “as some people who did something”  (Read 12244 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2019, 12:45:05 AM »
« edited: April 11, 2019, 12:54:00 AM by Old School Republican »

I do find that Omar is totally ungrateful at this nation when the fact is people like her should be among the most grateful. They gave her refuge , opportunity, and freedom that she would never have gotten in Somalia yet all she does is attacks this nation.

This sort of logic is what helped push me out of the Republican Party a decade ago--this attitude that immigrants should show how grateful they are for their freedoms (in this case free speech) by not exercising them.

I am not saying she shouldnt have the right to say those things lol, she certainly does but that doesnt mean the content of her statements arent ungrateful and disgraceful.

BTW my parents and I are immigrants as well and so are most of our friends and most of them agree it is ungrateful for people who are given refuge by this nation to trash this nation nonstop. Also most of our friends arent Republican either but agree on this .
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2019, 12:56:07 AM »

... it isn't ungrateful for people who are given refuge by this nation to trash point out ways to improve this nation nonstop.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2019, 12:59:51 AM »

This was incredibly poorly worded, and I can't be certain that she cares about 9/11 as much as she should and what she actually thinks. She's had many statements that at best are poorly worded so perhaps the most charitable take is she's not a very good politician. However, I personally read it that she was trying to say that 9/11 shouldn't be taken as something all Muslims are at fault for and are discriminated for, and that's certainly a valid point. After the tragic events in my country recently, and the alarming amount of Islamophobia in the US, an anti-Islamophobia message is certainly necessary, if Omar was just trying to get that across and accepts 9/11 was a tragedy too and a very significant one, then she should make her point again with much better wording.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2019, 01:15:44 AM »

I am not saying she shouldnt have the right to say those things lol, she certainly does but that doesnt mean the content of her statements arent ungrateful and disgraceful.

BTW my parents and I are immigrants as well and so are most of our friends and most of them agree it is ungrateful for people who are given refuge by this nation to trash this nation nonstop. Also most of our friends arent Republican either but agree on this .

But yet you say nothing about blue avatars here in this thread who are "disgraceful" and "disrespectful" by calling Somalia a sh*thole country (literally).
So you are OK with Somalia being disrespected, but if it's our nation, you have a problem.
What if your parent's former country was described as a sh*thole country. Or you OK with that? Would they be OK with that? Is that disrespectful?
There are ways to say or to describe that other countries have certain problems, but it is completely disrespectful to say they are "sh*thole countries," simply because they are poor or in governmental chaos (sometimes due to major internal civil wars).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2019, 01:53:25 AM »

But yet you say nothing about blue avatars here in this thread who are "disgraceful" and "disrespectful" by calling Somalia a sh*thole country (literally).
So you are OK with Somalia being disrespected, but if it's our nation, you have a problem.
What if your parent's former country was described as a sh*thole country. Or you OK with that? Would they be OK with that? Is that disrespectful?
There are ways to say or to describe that other countries have certain problems, but it is completely disrespectful to say they are "sh*thole countries," simply because they are poor or in governmental chaos (sometimes due to major internal civil wars).

Comparing a user on an internet forum to a member of Congress is laughable and totally absurd as well. BTW Fhtagn edited that post and changed it to trashy place to live.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2019, 02:45:57 AM »

Siri, what is “virtue signaling”?

Here are some results:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=post;topic=317758.75;num_replies=83
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2019, 06:11:52 AM »

I'm greatly troubled with the people calling her "un-American" and saying she shouldn't be attacking U.S. policies because she's a refugee herself. If anything is "un-American" is this very attitude.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2019, 06:32:25 AM »

She's ruining the reputation of real progressive democrats by associating with them and wasting everybody's time. Still better than those who want us all to fall in line as Israel's oversized puppy dog, but honestly not by that much.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2019, 08:15:40 AM »

Whether she had a point or not, the dismissive way she referred to 9/11 was deliberate and like an attempt to get the racists out of the woodwork. This is right out of her playbook.

We should have just let her ungrateful self rot in the Somali trash pit she crawled herself out of.

Hook, line and bigot.

You're the one who associates her far-leftist bigotry with Islam, not me.

She's taking her influences from Corbyn, not Bin Laden.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2019, 08:32:54 AM »

The US gave Ilhan Omar refuge , and gave her far far more opportunity than she would have had in Somalia and all she does is attack this nation non stop .

From all her statements she has made it is perfectly justifiable to call her unpatriotic and someone who dislikes this nation and calling her that is not Islamophobic

And her point is she deserves the same rights and respect as other Americans, not other Somalians.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2019, 09:57:53 AM by GP270watch »

Some people did do something.

We've become such a silly gotcha society.

The United States is worth fighting for and worth criticizing because it gives people the best opportunity for ideals like freedom. If you come to place and are told that you can have the freedom to practice your religion, that is awesome. But if the reality is practicing your religion leads you to getting death threats, constant suspicion, and the general sentiment that you will never truly be American, by an entire opposing political party, I think that says more about them than it does her.

That being said Ilhan Omar must realize she is under a scrutiny that while unfair is a reality and that people who hate her will always try to twist her words. Don't make it easy for them.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2019, 10:08:05 AM »

I'm greatly troubled with the people calling her "un-American" and saying she shouldn't be attacking U.S. policies because she's a refugee herself. If anything is "un-American" is this very attitude.

There is a difference between criticizing US policy and trashing our nation non stop Omar comments time and time against are closer to the latter .

And I am not saying that she shouldn’t have the right to say these things as she obviously should , it’s just that she shouldn’t say these things and that is a huge difference.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »

The issues she raised are legit, but she got criticized (in first place) for the way she "describe" them.

I guess that many totally innocent Japanese Americans experienced similar issues long after Pearl Harbor&WW2 happened. But I don't think they'd use "some people who did something" remark...
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2019, 10:47:36 AM »

If she would have said 19 Hijackers, 15 of whom were Saudi she would have got criticized for that too. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia doesn't like her and is also trying to undermine her influence in Congress and turn people against her.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2019, 10:59:49 AM »

Today in pointless culture wars that are irrelevant to daily life
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »

... it isn't ungrateful for people who are given refuge by this nation to trash point out ways to improve this nation nonstop.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2019, 11:26:28 AM »

I do find that Omar is totally ungrateful at this nation when the fact is people like her should be among the most grateful. They gave her refuge , opportunity, and freedom that she would never have gotten in Somalia yet all she does is attacks this nation.

Omar is trying desperately to get people to care about fighting climate change, supports the rights of ALL Americans (LGBTQ and immigrants included)  and she fights against corporate lobbyist corruption of politicians and money influencing politics, including but DEFINITELY not only AIPAC pro-Israel lobbyists who bribe our legislators to support Israel unconditionally on every single issue every single time, even if Israel does something terrible. Lile I said, not just AIPAC / Israel, but also corporations, big pharma, big oil, Koch Brothers, and the list goes on.

Trumpanzees cheer on Trump destroying our democracy and turning America into a banana republic, but criticize Omar's love and passion for America and it's ACTUAL values (not "white conservative values"). The hypocrisy is staggering.

Support for Israel is very much an actual American value, whether or not you think that is a good thing.
If Omar had said that politicians only support gay rights because they want to get money from rich gays, would progressives still be okay with her?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2019, 11:37:48 AM »

Comparing a user on an internet forum to a member of Congress is laughable and totally absurd as well. BTW Fhtagn edited that post and changed it to trashy place to live.

She did not change her original post trashing Somalia.
If anything she went on, posting more comments confirming that she thinks Somalia is a "Sh*thole country."
Are you blind?

If you don't think Somalia is a sh*thole country, feel free to relocate there.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2019, 11:39:23 AM »

Wow, not only is this a complete twisting of what she said, its also caused 4 pages worth of arguments and controversy over something she didnt say.

If this has been anything, its been a waste of time.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2019, 11:40:32 AM »

Omar is trying desperately to get people to care about fighting climate change, supports the rights of ALL Americans (LGBTQ and immigrants included)  and she fights against corporate lobbyist corruption of politicians and money influencing politics, including but DEFINITELY not only AIPAC pro-Israel lobbyists who bribe our legislators to support Israel unconditionally on every single issue every single time, even if Israel does something terrible. Lile I said, not just AIPAC / Israel, but also corporations, big pharma, big oil, Koch Brothers, and the list goes on.

Trumpanzees cheer on Trump destroying our democracy and turning America into a banana republic, but criticize Omar's love and passion for America and it's ACTUAL values (not "white conservative values"). The hypocrisy is staggering.

Support for Israel is very much an actual American value, whether or not you think that is a good thing.
If Omar had said that politicians only support gay rights because they want to get money from rich gays, would progressives still be okay with her?

Lmao.

Israel is another country. Gay people are a (often persecuted) minority within the US.

Besides, a more apt comparison here would be if Democrats (or whoever) we’re choosing to let gay people who happened to commit crimes off the hook because they’re gay. In this case, the Right/center is demanding that the US support anything and everything Israel does just because it’s Israel.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »

... and trashing our nation non stop Omar comments time and time (again) ...

Where have you been reading that Omar has been "trashing our nation time and time again?"
You say this like she says things everyday. Maybe you should put your energy into someone else who truly is "trashing our nation" and its institutions "time and time again" .... trump.
I swear you act like someone who is totally obsessed with Omar.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2019, 11:46:18 AM »

We should have just let her ungrateful self rot in the Somali trash pit she crawled herself out of.

^^^This is a very representative example of the contemporary Republican Party. Sorry, RINO Tom.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2019, 11:51:16 AM »

Anyway, Omar is right. 9/11 was some people who did something. Is that not an objectively correct statement?
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2019, 11:55:29 AM »

I don't like her. I think she's anti-semitic. I think she speaks to carelessly. But what in the hell is this hatred?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2019, 11:57:28 AM »

... and trashing our nation non stop Omar comments time and time (again) ...

Where have you been reading that Omar has been "trashing our nation time and time again?"
You say this like she says things everyday. Maybe you should put your energy into someone else who truly is "trashing our nation" and its institutions "time and time again" .... trump.
I swear you act like someone who is totally obsessed with Omar.

I am not a Trump supporter
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies