Italy 2013: The official thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:09:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italy 2013: The official thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 81
Author Topic: Italy 2013: The official thread  (Read 233448 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »

The election would have been in april anyways. April, march, february, does it really matter?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #376 on: December 09, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »

The election would have been in april anyways. April, march, february, does it really matter?

I guess it's a compromise: PD wants it in February (give less time for a PdL comeback) while PdL would benefit from an April vote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #377 on: December 09, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »

Monti will resign as soon as the Stability Law passes.
He said that he does not want to rule for 3 months with a fake majority...which was what Berlusconi wanted him to do.

Basically,Monti just gave Berlusconi the finger. Berlusconi hoped to appear as the anti-Monti and anti-Euro candidate (criticizing Europe,Euro,austerity and proposing tax cuts...) while at the same time not having any no-confidence,so as to appear "responsible".
Resigning immediately instead of staying in power for 3 more months without the possibility of doing anything,Monti just did a great thing. He's a true statesman,while Berlusconi...it just seems ludicrous to discuss about elections when such human trash is around.

This is not politics,it's a war of ethics and culture.
^^^^
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #378 on: December 09, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »

Monti will resign as soon as the Stability Law passes.
He said that he does not want to rule for 3 months with a fake majority...which was what Berlusconi wanted him to do.

Basically,Monti just gave Berlusconi the finger. Berlusconi hoped to appear as the anti-Monti and anti-Euro candidate (criticizing Europe,Euro,austerity and proposing tax cuts...) while at the same time not having any no-confidence,so as to appear "responsible".
Resigning immediately instead of staying in power for 3 more months without the possibility of doing anything,Monti just did a great thing. He's a true statesman,while Berlusconi...it just seems ludicrous to discuss about elections when such human trash is around.

This is not politics,it's a war of ethics and culture.
^^^^
This. I don't agree with many of Monti's policies but I can respect him as a good person who is trying to do the right thing. Berlusconi, on the other hand...piece of s--t is too kind a term.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #379 on: December 09, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »

I've been pro-SB for years, now firmly opposed to him because he wants cheap populism rather than economic reform. Therefore I'm supporting PD this time.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #380 on: December 09, 2012, 06:58:32 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2012, 08:55:26 PM by Nathan »

I've been pro-SB for years, now firmly opposed to him because he wants cheap populism rather than economic reform. Therefore I'm supporting PD this time.

Welcome to the side of the righteous.

Silvio Berlusconi used to be funny. [EXPUNGED], 1996, 2001, 2006, and 2008 were all to greater or lesser extents normal elections between parties of varying policies and levels of corruption like countries normally have. 2013 is going to be, as Antonio said, a matter of near-spiritual import for the Italian Republic.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #381 on: December 09, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »

Delete 1994 from that list.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #382 on: December 09, 2012, 08:37:54 PM »

Yeah, the word "normal" certainly doesn't apply to that one. Wink
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #383 on: December 09, 2012, 08:54:44 PM »

You're entirely correct.
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2012, 06:52:40 AM »

Fortunately unlike some countries where voters are unnaturally forced to choose just between 2 parties, we have plenty of alternatives between Berlusconi's populism, and Bersani old style  trade union-led socialdemocracy. For example it's more likely Monti will candidate somehow, and in any case there are liberal parties with  programmes alternative to BErsani and Berlusconi.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »

That only makes the vote personally less painful, Iannis. At the end of the day, though, those parties are going to join one of the coalitions so you're still deciding between Bersani and Berlusconi. And let's be realistic: Monti isn't getting enough support to keep one of the other two out of power.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #386 on: December 10, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »

It looks like the election is now slated for February 17th or 24th.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #387 on: December 10, 2012, 01:56:39 PM »

It looks like the election is now slated for February 17th or 24th.

Good.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #388 on: December 10, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »

Hopefully Berlusconi finally gets the thrashing he so richly deserves, and retires for good.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #389 on: December 10, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »

Yeah, the sooner the better.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #390 on: December 10, 2012, 05:07:27 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2012, 06:01:36 PM by RogueBeaver »

My worry is that Berlusconi teams up with the Northern League and works out a confidence deal with M5S, and by running a lowest-common-denominator campaign he picks up enough floating voters to eke out a win. Fortunately he probably doesn't have enough time to do that. He's called Monti Merkel's servant and his papers are going full Greek with her in Nazi garb and plenty of 4th Reich headlines. The slogan might well be Whitlam '75: "maintain your rage", given how unpopular Monti's policies are.

Oh, and apparently he tried to *induce* Renzi into defecting his way. Renzi sent him an open letter basically saying "Piss off, as I've told twice in person, I'm not for sale." Good on him. Smiley
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #391 on: December 10, 2012, 05:52:43 PM »

Rage maintenance was Whitlam '75. We can but hope this goes as well for Berlusconi as that went for (the morally and politically night-and-day superior) Gough.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »

Yeah, the Renzi response was funny. It would have been more fun if he took him up on the offer though. Smiley

I'm actually in the awkward position of not caring for the big guy but will be helping a PdL candidate or two (unless they join this new AN party that's supposedly starting. One is far more likely than the other to join but it really doesn't matter since that party will join PdL in the coalition). It will be a very interesting election in more ways than one.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #393 on: December 10, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »

Hopefully Berlusconi gets battered as badly as the (rebranded) DC's in 1994.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #394 on: December 10, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »

Hopefully Berlusconi gets battered as badly as the (rebranded) DC's in 1994.

That just can't happen. The support for M5S will surely come down soon enough and I'm willing to bet that Berlusconi's ratings are better than Monti's after the past year. I don't think that's enough for a victory but, you know...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #395 on: December 10, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »

Berlusconi's pitch would've been perfect for PdL... if he or they had any shred of credibility left, which they don't. Right now they're actually behind M5S in certain polls.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #396 on: December 10, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »

Berlusconi's pitch would've been perfect for PdL... if he or they had any shred of credibility left, which they don't. Right now they're actually behind M5S in certain polls.

No, I'm pretty sure they're behind them in every poll. Tongue

Wait until the campaign is underway. Then we'll see who is credible and who isn't. I just have a hard time believing that M5S maintains their advantage.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #397 on: December 10, 2012, 06:36:03 PM »

No, I'm pretty sure they're behind them in every poll. Tongue

Wait until the campaign is underway. Then we'll see who is credible and who isn't. I just have a hard time believing that M5S maintains their advantage.

The problem is we're discussing an event that will include both credibility and Silvio Berlusconi. If Berlusconi gains enough back from M5S to win I'll be extremely surprised (and depressed).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #398 on: December 10, 2012, 09:36:02 PM »

Hey, he surprised before. He consistently trailed Prodi by about six points before the 2006 vote and ended up losing by only 0.1%. I know these are very different times but never say never with this guy.
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #399 on: December 11, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »

That only makes the vote personally less painful, Iannis. At the end of the day, though, those parties are going to join one of the coalitions so you're still deciding between Bersani and Berlusconi. And let's be realistic: Monti isn't getting enough support to keep one of the other two out of power.

Oh no, centrist parties for sure will run independently alternative to both Bersani and Berlusconi in any case, the only doubt is whether Monti will candidate to premiership explicitly or not. And this would make a big big difference.
Since there is also Grillo's M5S, the race is NOT already between Bersani and BErlusconi,  so why not to have 4 strong candidates?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 81  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies