Saturday Massacre: Pelosi, Israel, Wasserman Schultz call for Weiner to resign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 07:49:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Saturday Massacre: Pelosi, Israel, Wasserman Schultz call for Weiner to resign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17
Author Topic: Saturday Massacre: Pelosi, Israel, Wasserman Schultz call for Weiner to resign  (Read 56576 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: June 12, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »

The left right has always has CBS, abc, NBC.....

Now the far right has fox, drudge, limbaugh........
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #376 on: June 12, 2011, 01:28:55 PM »

The pics keep on coming, this time, lewd pics of Weiner using the House Gym: 

Rep. Weiner Used Congressional Gym As Backdrop

At least some of these pictures were sent online to an unnamed woman.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #377 on: June 12, 2011, 01:52:20 PM »

The pics keep on coming, this time, lewd pics of Weiner using the House Gym: 

Rep. Weiner Used Congressional Gym As Backdrop

At least some of these pictures were sent online to an unnamed woman.

Hardly lewd, and just why would he hawk that, with all that flab?  I look a heck of a lot "hunkier" than that!  Smiley
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #378 on: June 12, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »

Can we start talking about the special now?

Here's the GOP candidate.

http://council.nyc.gov/d32/html/members/home.shtml
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #379 on: June 12, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »

You're a Republican and you want to fantasize about a special election in New York? Haven't you taken enough knocks yet?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #380 on: June 12, 2011, 09:26:47 PM »

This time around, there's little expectation of winning, and its downstate. So the fallout won't be as bad.

Technically, though, didn't the GOP win the  NY-29 'special'?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #381 on: June 12, 2011, 09:34:09 PM »

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/06/12/2011-06-12_rep_anthony_weiner_finally_considering_he_may_have_to_resign_amid_sexting_scanda.html

As a cache of embarrassing new photos appeared Sunday, Rep. Anthony Weiner finally began considering the possibility that he may have to resign.

A source close to the congressman told the Daily News that Weiner had been adamant about keeping his seat - even as the Democratic leadership urged him to quit amid daily new revelations of reckless sexting.

But the unrelenting media coverage, the demands he step down from his party's leadership, and the appearance of more humiliating photos made Weiner realize he may not be able to bull through the crisis after all, the source said.

Weiner shrugged off calls from top Democrats - including House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Chairman Steve Israel and Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz - worrying more about what his rank and file colleagues think, a source said.
The source said one person Weiner would listen to is his mentor, Sen. Chuck Schumer. Schumer says he is "heartbroken" but has stopped short of telling Weiner to quit.

The other person Weiner will take advice from - his wife, Huma Abedin - is in Africa with her boss, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Weiner is still convinced Abedin won't divorce him, and is still telling people she wants him to stay in Congress, sources said.

The lusty lawmaker is afraid of what Clinton, who has some experience with misbehaving husbands, may be whispering to Abedin, the source said.
The last two weeks have taken a toll on the congressman, who isn't sleeping and spends hours pacing his apartment, friends said.

He told his staff he was taking a few days off to be evaluated for mental health treatment and get some clarity.
Staffers say they expect he won't decide what to do until after his wife comes home Wednesday.
He is all-but-resigned to being redistricted out of a seat, a source said.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #382 on: June 12, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »

The odds of the GOP winning this seat are low, the Democrats are very good at picking special election candidates and Republicans are not. Besides, with the Medicare thing, a D+5 seat is out of reach for any Republican.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #383 on: June 12, 2011, 10:12:01 PM »

Why would he run? Assuming he even has interest in the seat, it'll just be gone in the redistricting anyway, so he'd have to resign his council seat for only 18 months in the House assuming he even wins. Not running means he can stay on the council. That's why there's not likely to be any heavy hitters running on either side, they're only going to be keeping the seat warm until its elimination.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #384 on: June 12, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2011, 11:11:18 PM by krazen1211 »

Why would he run? Assuming he even has interest in the seat, it'll just be gone in the redistricting anyway, so he'd have to resign his council seat for only 18 months in the House assuming he even wins. Not running means he can stay on the council. That's why there's not likely to be any heavy hitters running on either side, they're only going to be keeping the seat warm until its elimination.

The assumption is such is the case, yeah. But the NY GOP tends to go with the next in line guy regardless of how lousy a candidate that person is. This guy will get some name recognition obviously if he comes through. Youngest member of Congress and all.

If not him, they'll just get the guy from 2010 I suppose.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #385 on: June 13, 2011, 06:08:32 AM »

Krazen, do you know much about him other than that he may be the only Republican officeholder in the district and so logically could run? Individual city councilors in NY don't often attract attention.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #386 on: June 13, 2011, 09:19:54 AM »

Krazen, do you know much about him other than that he may be the only Republican officeholder in the district and so logically could run? Individual city councilors in NY don't often attract attention.

Only that his wife is Jewish and he's from the Queens side of the district. I can't tell if he's Jewish himself, but he did go to Catholic School. He also tends to be a bit of a facebook/twitter loudmouth.

He had some odd idea about bike licensing.
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #387 on: June 13, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »

He also tends to be a bit of a facebook/twitter loudmouth.

Well, that bodes well ...
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »

"I think he's embarrassed himself. He's acknowledged that," Obama told Ann Curry in an interview for air Tuesday.  "He's embarrassed his wife and his family. Ultimately, there's gonna be a decision for him and is constituents. I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign.’’

“When you get to the point where, because of various personal distractions, you can't serve as effectively as you need to, at the time when people are worrying about jobs, and their mortgages, and paying the bills — then you should probably step back,’’ Obama said.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Weiner-Sexting-Scandal-Twitter-Congress-Rehab-123749919.html

For the first time, even I'm thinking Weiner might not be able to brazen this out and will resign some time this week.
milhouse24
« Reply #389 on: June 13, 2011, 09:48:09 PM »

"I think he's embarrassed himself. He's acknowledged that," Obama told Ann Curry in an interview for air Tuesday.  "He's embarrassed his wife and his family. Ultimately, there's gonna be a decision for him and is constituents. I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign.’’

“When you get to the point where, because of various personal distractions, you can't serve as effectively as you need to, at the time when people are worrying about jobs, and their mortgages, and paying the bills — then you should probably step back,’’ Obama said.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Weiner-Sexting-Scandal-Twitter-Congress-Rehab-123749919.html

For the first time, even I'm thinking Weiner might not be able to brazen this out and will resign some time this week.

I think Weiner is trying to leverage some sort of blackmail against Pelosi/Obama for leaving congress.  Maybe he wants some future financial support or some ambassadorship or appointment.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #390 on: June 13, 2011, 11:20:51 PM »

I think Weiner is trying to leverage some sort of blackmail against Pelosi/Obama for leaving congress.  Maybe he wants some future financial support or some ambassadorship or appointment.

Yes, I'm sure that blackmail would work too.

"Hey, want the press to stop asking you about me? Appoint me into your administration!"
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #391 on: June 13, 2011, 11:36:41 PM »

Even Obama's gently pushing him to resign.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2011, 11:55:47 PM »

That hardly seems like a surprise.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2011, 12:44:35 AM »

Not really.  If he wins, the District will probably stay intact in some from due to the "Wink Wink" incumbent gerrymandering agreement.  There's no way the State GOP sinks two of its incumbents in redistricting, since an Upstate Republican is probably the other one on the chopping block right now.

Though if he does win, it could mean that he and Hochul both get the boot for partisan equality in the end.  It would be highly Ironic that instead of an Upstate Republican and Downstate Democrat, the ones getting the boot are an Upstate Democrat and Downstate Republican.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2011, 02:24:23 AM »

"I think he's embarrassed himself. He's acknowledged that," Obama told Ann Curry in an interview for air Tuesday.  "He's embarrassed his wife and his family. Ultimately, there's gonna be a decision for him and is constituents. I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign.’’

I think Weiner is trying to leverage some sort of blackmail against Pelosi/Obama for leaving congress.  Maybe he wants some future financial support or some ambassadorship or appointment.

Doubtful - though one theory why Weiner might be hanging on is to use his resignation as a bargaining chip should the Department of Justice try to bring criminal charges against him.  

One former prosecutor interviewed on the local news tonight claims Weiner could be charged with using government property for personal gain for taking the most recent set of released photos in the House Gym.  It seems like a huge stretch to me - no one would ever think of charging a Congressman or staffer who takes a more normal photo on House grounds to send to his wife or kids with such a crime.  It's such a minor use of Government property that it is meaningless.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2011, 08:41:34 AM »

Agreed.  He had no choice.
milhouse24
« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2011, 11:24:03 AM »

"I think he's embarrassed himself. He's acknowledged that," Obama told Ann Curry in an interview for air Tuesday.  "He's embarrassed his wife and his family. Ultimately, there's gonna be a decision for him and is constituents. I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign.’’

I think Weiner is trying to leverage some sort of blackmail against Pelosi/Obama for leaving congress.  Maybe he wants some future financial support or some ambassadorship or appointment.

Doubtful - though one theory why Weiner might be hanging on is to use his resignation as a bargaining chip should the Department of Justice try to bring criminal charges against him.  

One former prosecutor interviewed on the local news tonight claims Weiner could be charged with using government property for personal gain for taking the most recent set of released photos in the House Gym.  It seems like a huge stretch to me - no one would ever think of charging a Congressman or staffer who takes a more normal photo on House grounds to send to his wife or kids with such a crime.  It's such a minor use of Government property that it is meaningless.

I think he could face "indecency charges" if some of the women complain about receiving unwanted photos from him, like the first woman from Seattle, who claims she never had DM with Weiner and was completely baffled as to why he sent the photo (he was actually trying to send the photo to adult film actress Ginger lynn).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2011, 05:31:38 PM by Hijo de puta »

Yeah, the Democrats obviously don't have a shot in hell of keeping this seat, especially after Weinergate.
If I were a Democrat running after that scandal I would surrender to my Republican opponent right after I won the nomination.  This just looks hopeless.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »

http://images.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/fecimg/?C00497438

Yep, Ulrich will be in for the special here.

I guess he does have an out if he wins....the Democrats will have to protect him to protect Hochul as well.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #399 on: June 15, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »

http://images.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/fecimg/?C00497438

Yep, Ulrich will be in for the special here.

I guess he does have an out if he wins....the Democrats will have to protect him to protect Hochul as well.

In New York, one does not get to declare he will run in a special Congressional election.  The parties nominate their candidates.  There is no primary.  So Ulrich may be in for nothing - and that's if Weiner resigns, which isn't guaranteed.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies