The Update for Everybody Else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:37:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 44
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 86559 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: August 12, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »

The King is dead, long live the King.  Cry
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #701 on: August 12, 2013, 11:20:40 AM »

I'm getting an Xbox 360 for my birthday. So pumped.

I'll give my gamer tag upon request.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #702 on: August 13, 2013, 01:18:26 AM »

Somebody I graduated with died of a heroin overdose. I didn't really know him too well, but these types of deaths are happening way often on Long Island these days, and it's been continuously increasing the past few years here. It worries me.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #703 on: August 13, 2013, 01:30:02 AM »

So, I have a more lighthearted story. A few weeks ago I was out with the guys and after our friend's grad party we all decided to go out for wings. After eating we decide to walk around because we needed some stuff, and we went to a few stores on the way. In one of our regular stops I was looking for posters for my dorm, and I was spending a bit too much time looking at the ones with girls. My friend is eagerly peering over my shoulder like a kid in a candy store, as he usually does with anything sexual, and I'm nodding along. Then, I hear a voice asking me if we're finding everything okay...

I turn around to realize that my high school crush has been watching me and my friend stare at a poster of two girls making out.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #704 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »

Just put two potatoes in the oven for over an hour and ahalf, and they barely feel cooked at all, so I've had to microwave them anyway.

I resolve, here on this day, to never put another potato in the oven again because it is a stupid fing waste of time.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #705 on: August 13, 2013, 09:43:26 AM »

So, I have a more lighthearted story. A few weeks ago I was out with the guys and after our friend's grad party we all decided to go out for wings. After eating we decide to walk around because we needed some stuff, and we went to a few stores on the way. In one of our regular stops I was looking for posters for my dorm, and I was spending a bit too much time looking at the ones with girls. My friend is eagerly peering over my shoulder like a kid in a candy store, as he usually does with anything sexual, and I'm nodding along. Then, I hear a voice asking me if we're finding everything okay...

I turn around to realize that my high school crush has been watching me and my friend stare at a poster of two girls making out.

Not sure if that's good or bad (I'd assume bad, so sorry bro. Tongue) but it's a pretty good story to retell at parties and stuff.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #706 on: August 13, 2013, 11:57:42 AM »

Not sure if that's good or bad (I'd assume bad, so sorry bro. Tongue) but it's a pretty good story to retell at parties and stuff.

It's still good. I just pokerfaced it and just played it off like nothing was happening. She was like OH MY GOD SAWX IT'S GREAT TO SEE YOU and lit up like the old days. Then my fing friend didn't get the memo and made his move while she was talking to me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #707 on: August 13, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »

Somebody I graduated with died of a heroin overdose. I didn't really know him too well, but these types of deaths are happening way often on Long Island these days, and it's been continuously increasing the past few years here. It worries me.

Yes I hear heroin is rife in the suburbs and exurbs of Missouri as well.  It sounds bizarre to me to talk to old acquaintances there via facialbook and they say 'you can't leave home for more than 2-3 days or those heroin addicts will burglarize your house' - this in an area we used to leave our doors unlocked and our keys in our car ignitions just 15-20 years ago.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #708 on: August 13, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »

Yes I hear heroin is rife in the suburbs and exurbs of Missouri as well.  It sounds bizarre to me to talk to old acquaintances there via facialbook and they say 'you can't leave home for more than 2-3 days or those heroin addicts will burglarize your house' - this in an area we used to leave our doors unlocked and our keys in our car ignitions just 15-20 years ago.

You lived among the rubes in the Ozarks, opeob?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #709 on: August 13, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »

You lived among the rubes in the Ozarks, opeob?

Well, the family compound was in the exurbs, more like suburbs now, but we also had the weekend places ('farms') in the northern edge of the Ozarks.  Of course after 18 I never really lived there anymore, but spent a good deal of time there.  I never really even saw any sign of meth - seemed like that came along just around the very late 90s, increased for a few years, and then now after the Depression they're all just talking about heroin and nothing else.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #710 on: August 15, 2013, 08:20:27 PM »

That sucks,  man. My cousin's best friend died too-happened yesterday. Sad
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #711 on: August 15, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »

It's still good. I just pokerfaced it and just played it off like nothing was happening. She was like OH MY GOD SAWX IT'S GREAT TO SEE YOU and lit up like the old days. Then my fing friend didn't get the memo and made his move while she was talking to me.

Friends are awful. That's why I made the conscious decision not to have any several years ago.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #712 on: August 15, 2013, 08:53:37 PM »

I had my first callback interview with a firm today. Met three associates of varying levels of seniority and a partner. It seemed like a really great place and does interesting work I'd like to do, so hopefully they hire me.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #713 on: August 16, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »

Angry twitter types, stop trying to make 'cisgender' happen.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #714 on: August 16, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »

I have three more days left in Japan and I'll be going home into a moving-house situation, so that's going to be interesting.

I have to admit that I really don't understand the supposed problem with this term. It's the neatest antonym for 'transgender' imaginable. What else ought one say to communicate the concept? Is the idea that the concept of 'the set of people who are not transgender or a member thereof' should not be or should not have to be communicated?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #715 on: August 16, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »

I have three more days left in Japan and I'll be going home into a moving-house situation, so that's going to be interesting.

I have to admit that I really don't understand the supposed problem with this term. It's the neatest antonym for 'transgender' imaginable. What else ought one say to communicate the concept? Is the idea that the concept of 'the set of people who are not transgender or a member thereof' should not be or should not have to be communicated?

It's more to do with the latest twitter tag #hatecis or something by angry trangenders which has even been thrown at LGB's. Causing a bit of queer strife.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #716 on: August 16, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »

I have to take the MPRE tomorrow, 2 days before I start class. This sucks.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #717 on: August 16, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »

It's more to do with the latest twitter tag #hatecis or something by angry trangenders which has even been thrown at LGB's. Causing a bit of queer strife.

You might want to look at why people are angry before you just dismiss them as such. Anger is a normal response to some situations.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #718 on: August 16, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »

You might want to look at why people are angry before you just dismiss them as such. Anger is a normal response to some situations.

I'm going to be Memphised for this but anger at people for not being transgendered is misplaced.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #719 on: August 16, 2013, 04:06:11 PM »

That's exactly the reason I made that comment. If you think that this is about people being angry at others for being cis you clearly don't understand what's going on at all.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #720 on: August 16, 2013, 04:39:46 PM »

My apologies. It's #f-ckcispeople. The idea that this is an acceptable tag regardless of what feeling is behind it isn't really excusable.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #721 on: August 16, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »

I can't imagine you being up in arms about a bunch of (cis) gays starting a #fckchristians tag even though that's equally generalizing and "angry".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #722 on: August 16, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »

I can't imagine you being up in arms about a bunch of (cis) gays starting a #fckchristians tag even though that's equally generalizing and "angry".

Of course I would. It's both inaccurate and counter productive. Why on earth would you think I support something like that? I have Christian family and friends.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #723 on: August 16, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »

You'll notice that when a rhetorical question such as the one I posted above is asked the answer from the person being criticized is never to agree with it. Regardless, the point here isn't that I like that hashtag. It's just that I find it extremely annoying when people who obviously don't understand why there is so much anger here sit up high from a position of privilege and make snide comments about how people below them need to be more polite and less angry.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #724 on: August 16, 2013, 06:00:45 PM »

Got a new laptop today, worked damn hard for that machine. Fast as hell, the old one was slow as sht, and it died on me. Fing piece of sht
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies