Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:32:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 46
Author Topic: Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24  (Read 66618 times)
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: April 18, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »

This is looking worse and worse for Trump. When you add up his numerous lies, his coverup and deflection of Russian interference, his total submission to Putin, and all his acts that certainly seem like obstruction to anybody with half a brain, I think this report will have very negative implications for Trump with the public.
Thatkat04
« Reply #751 on: April 18, 2019, 01:52:03 PM »

I will admit that right after the reports release, the initial coverage was pretty neutral/somewhat favorable for Trump. But as more and more of the report has been disseminated and the damning information comes to the fore front, the tone of the coverage has switched pretty handily.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #752 on: April 18, 2019, 02:03:17 PM »

Dems already on the move.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #753 on: April 18, 2019, 02:52:53 PM »

Burr was the snitch not Nunes. Richard Burr MUST resign!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #754 on: April 18, 2019, 03:00:32 PM »

Burr was the snitch not Nunes. Richard Burr MUST resign!

Now that's a surprising development.  I had always thought Burr was playing it straight.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #755 on: April 18, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »

The report says Trump engaged in "corrupt exercise of the powers of office". Gee, I wonder why Barr didn't feel the need to mention that in his summary?

We don't have precedent here because the Nixon impeachment didn't actually happen, but that sounds an awful lot like the general "abuse of power" charge that was levied against him in the articles of impeachment.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #756 on: April 18, 2019, 03:37:59 PM »

Trump will not be impeached. Period. Trump supporters are very angry, violent people, why would politicians risk having armed protesters at their homes.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #757 on: April 18, 2019, 03:44:33 PM »

Trump will not be impeached. Period. Trump supporters are very angry, violent people, why would politicians risk having armed protesters at their homes.

This is not going to be the reason why or why not the president is impeached.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #758 on: April 18, 2019, 03:49:21 PM »

I'm glad to know mob intimidation is a good way to prevent you from losing your job for abusing your position. I'll keep that in mind in case I ever screw up at work.
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #759 on: April 18, 2019, 03:53:46 PM »

Its scary how detached from reality Fox News and their viewers are.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #760 on: April 18, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »

In other words you're saying our country has officially reached banana republic levels huh?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #761 on: April 18, 2019, 04:42:28 PM »

This sentence in the report, sounds almost like an invitation (and agreement) by Mueller, for Congress to punish and impeach the president ...

"The conclusion that Congress may apply the obstruction laws to the President's corrupt exercise of the powers of office accords with our constitutional system of checks and balances and the principle that no person is above the law."

I look forward to Mueller discussing this in more detail, when he is asked to speak before the Congressional Committees.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #762 on: April 18, 2019, 04:49:37 PM »

Here is a "Key Finding" of the Mueller Report, as reported by CNN ...

Trump campaign "expected" help from Russians but did not conspire.
“[T]he investigation established that the Russian government perceived it would benefit from a Trump presidency and worked to secure that outcome, and that the campaign expected it would benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts...”

— Vol. 1, p. 5, Special Counsel Mueller's report
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #763 on: April 18, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »

Okay this seems like what everyone figured all along (pre-memo). Trump did some light collusion but they couldn’t establish a conspiracy nor did what they did rise to the level of a a crime

Other than that whole obstruction of justice thing being a crime.

And getting aid from a foreign power in an electoral campaign.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #764 on: April 18, 2019, 04:52:24 PM »

Trump asked campaign aides to find Clinton's emails.
“Michael Flynn – who would later serve as national security adviser in the Trump Administration – recalled that Trump made the request repeatedly, and Flynn subsequently contacted multiple people in an effort to obtain the emails.”

— Vol. 1, p. 62, Special Counsel Mueller's report
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #765 on: April 18, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »

This sentence in the report, sounds almost like an invitation (and agreement) by Mueller, for Congress to punish and impeach the president ...

"The conclusion that Congress may apply the obstruction laws to the President's corrupt exercise of the powers of office accords with our constitutional system of checks and balances and the principle that no person is above the law."

I look forward to Mueller discussing this in more detail, when he is asked to speak before the Congressional Committees.

This reminded me of something, and I went back to check the text of the report. President is capitalized there in the report, as in your post, so it's being used as a proper noun to refer to a particular President, not just a president in a hypothetical case. I could see some people quibbling about that because it's an important distinction. It's saying that Trump did corruptly exercise his power.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #766 on: April 18, 2019, 04:55:22 PM »

Aides refused to help efforts to obstruct.
“The President's efforts to influence the investigation were mostly unsuccessful, but that is largely because the persons who surrounded the President declined to carry out orders or accede to his requests.”

— Vol. 1, p. 158, Special Counsel Mueller's report
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #767 on: April 18, 2019, 05:25:53 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #768 on: April 18, 2019, 06:04:32 PM »

Mueller report: Sarah Sanders lied about Comey.

A section of the Mueller report says that White House press secretary Sarah Sanders lied when she said people inside the FBI did not like then-FBI director James Comey and that was part of the justification for firing Comey.

The President's draft termination letter also stated that morale in the FBI was at an all-time low and Sanders told the press after Comey's termination that the White House had heard from "countless" FBI agents who had lost confidence in Comey. But the evidence does not support those claims. The President told Comey at their January 27 dinner that "the people of the FBI really like [him]," no evidence suggests that the President heard otherwise before deciding to terminate Comey, and Sanders acknowledged to investigators that her comments were not founded on anything.

— Vol. 1, p. 288, Special Counsel Mueller's report.

To watch CNN discussing this issue, click here: https://us.cnn.com/videos/politics/2019/04/18/mueller-report-sarah-sanders-lied-comey-sot-vpx.cnn

The next time Sarah Sanders decides to spew "known and obvious" bulls**t during her press conferences, I hope that some of the reporters ask her "Is what you are saying based on fact, or is it not founded on anything."
The reporters should repeat this over and over again, for the next year and one-half. Just keep pounding her head (and ego) with this.
Thatkat04
« Reply #769 on: April 18, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »

Thats pretty damning in its own right.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #770 on: April 18, 2019, 06:21:16 PM »

Angry Trump reiterates his ultimate "right" as president to fire anyone who's investigating him, thus quickly approaching "when the president does it then it's not illegal" territory:

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #771 on: April 18, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »

On pp 180-181 the report makes clear that collusion in a criminal activity is itself conspiracy in accordance with Black's Law Dictionary, a recognized source on the meaning of words in law. One cannot successfully twist the meaning of words in legal statutes to win a legal point, as by calling one's theft "pilferage" instead of "larceny". Words have rigid meanings in statutory  law lest they be meaningless in law. Postmodernist devices with language are incompatible with legal statutes, lest law be unenforceable.

I cannot cut and paste the section from the report, so such is the best that I can do.  
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #772 on: April 18, 2019, 06:32:15 PM »

It is mere coincidence that my previous post follows a tweet from the President that asserts that what he did is not obstruction of justice.  Legal statutes define such, and Donald Trump cannot. The law is not a convenience to those who perform shady deeds. 
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #773 on: April 18, 2019, 06:53:54 PM »

On pp 180-181 the report makes clear that collusion in a criminal activity is itself conspiracy in accordance with Black's Law Dictionary, a recognized source on the meaning of words in law. One cannot successfully twist the meaning of words in legal statutes to win a legal point, as by calling one's theft "pilferage" instead of "larceny". Words have rigid meanings in statutory  law lest they be meaningless in law. Postmodernist devices with language are incompatible with legal statutes, lest law be unenforceable.
What do you want to say by that?
I cannot cut and paste the section from the report, so such is the best that I can do.  
NyT has made a very convenient searchable/copy&pastable and partly annotated document of the report.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/18/us/politics/mueller-report-document.html
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #774 on: April 18, 2019, 06:56:21 PM »

What do you want to say by that?
NyT has made a very convenient searchable/copy&pastable and partly annotated document of the report.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/18/us/politics/mueller-report-document.html

Thank you, I've added the link to the OP.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies