The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:36:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 194089 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: July 13, 2008, 03:46:30 PM »

The Examiner
13 July 2008

No News Today

I offered a great bill in the NE legislature today. Check it out.

That isn't newsworthy, methinks.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #501 on: July 14, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »

Unfortunately, dear Editor is on leave today.
He was last seen camped out in the Supreme Court building compiling briefs.

Grateful if anyone want's to give a shot at guest editing today and hopefully things can return to normal soon.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #502 on: July 14, 2008, 05:21:35 PM »

The Examiner
14 July 2008

Bacon King Elected Senator; Certification of Results on Hold by Courts

In the Supreme Court mandated Southeast Special Election, former Senator Bacon King (NLC-GA) defeated sitting Senator-in-Question DownWithTheLeft (AUB-AL) and Asperger’s poster child GPorter (WTF-TN) by a 6–4–1 vote according to preliminary tallies by Inks.LWC.

Though seemingly victorious, Bacon King is prevented from taking office following a court injunction blocking certification of the election results. (For more, see “Supreme Court Accepts...” below.)

If the tentative election results hold up, the NLC’s will again hold 5 of the Senate’s 10 seats, the level the party was at before the June elections.

Wixted Elected PPT; Spade Confirmed to SC

The Senate concluded votes on Sunday, electing Sen. Colin Wixted (NLC-PA) as President Pro Tempore of the 26th Senate and confirming Sam Spade (I-TX) to fill the Supreme Court vacancy caused by the resignation of Justice Ernest (NLC-DE).

Spade was confirmed by a 9–1 vote, with only Sen. EarlAW (AUB-NY) voting against.  Wixted narrowly defeated fellow NLCer Conor Flynn (NLC-ME) by a 5–4 vote.

The deciding vote in the race for PPT was cast by Northeastern Senator Verily (NLC-PA), who changed his vote from Flynn to Wixted at the last minute, breaking a then 4–4 deadlock.

Following his victory, Wixted pledged to “live up to the standards created by great PPTs like Gabu and Verily.” (The newly minted PPT quickly followed through by posting a much-needed 26th Senate Noticeboard.)

Neither Wixted nor Flynn plan to seek election as PPT in the 27th Senate.

Wixted (5)—Wixted, Verily, Trondheim, Mariner, C. King
Flynn (4)—Flynn, EarlAW, Torie, DWTL
Not Voting (1)—Afleitch

Supreme Court Accepts Jas. v. Inks.LWC; Peter; Issues Injunctions

Following Spade’s confirmation as Associate Justice, the Atlasian Supreme Court has agreed via a 2–0 vote to take the cases of Jas v. Inks.LWC and Jas v. Peter.

Both cases center on whether or not Inks.LWC and Peter can serve as acting Deputy of Forum Affairs and Attorney General, respectively, in the early days of President Moderate’s term. The court has entered a temporary injunction against both, prohibiting either from acting in an official capacity, and further prohibiting the certification of the Southeast Senate Special Election (by any SoFA) until the case is resolved.

Former Vice President Jas has also filed suit against PPT Colin Wixted and Vice President Ebowed, requesting that the courts disallow the Senate officers from recognizing votes cast by Senator-with-an-Asterisk DownWithTheLeft (AUB-AL).  Moderate administration nominee for Attorney General, Brandon H, has requested the court deny Jas’s injunction, believing that if put in place, “the Southeast will be denied its voice in the Senate.”

As of printing, no word has come from the Supreme Court yet as of whether or not they will take the case against Wixted and Ebowed.

ALSO IN THIS ISSUE:
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #503 on: July 15, 2008, 04:18:52 AM »

A quality production effort for which I am grateful.

The "Also..." section is a nice touch.

I doff my cap to you sir. Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #504 on: July 15, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »

Unfortunately my legal shenanigans have once again relieved me of the time to publish today's edition.

Should the President, or indeed anyone else, want to guest edit today, please go ahead.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #505 on: July 16, 2008, 12:14:01 PM »

The Examiner
16 July 2008

Mid-Term Campaigns Begin

Declarations for the mid-term Senate elections have begun. Ben Constine has opened a campaign HQ. Mideast Gov. Sensei has announced he doesn’t intend to seek re-election but rather seek a Senate seat.

Mideastern Judge HappyWarrior has also made know his intent to run for the Senate seat of EarlAW should he be confirmed as SoFA.

----

Jas v. Inks

The case brought by Examiner editor, Jas claiming that Deputy SoFA Inks lacked the legal capacity to run the recent Southeastern Senate election continued today with the submissions of Inks. Inks contests the claims of Jas that the position of Dep. SoFA is unconstitutional and argues that the appointment was an executive order and so continues in force indefinitely.

----

Super-SoFA?

A Constitutional Amendment has been introduced onto the Senate floor. The Amendment proposes to empower the SoFA to organise regional votes as necessary “in times of emergency or regional inactivity” with the power to do so granted at the President’s Discretion. The Amendment forms part of president Moderate’s legislative agenda and is the first major reform of his to come before the Senate.

--

Confirmation Hearings Come to Vote

Following the conclusion of questioning (though the hearings of Brandon and Earl drew very little questioning, and the majority of questions for MasterJedi came from outside the Senate), votes have opened for the cabinet confirmation hearings of MasterJedi (SoEA); BrandonH (AG); and EarlAW (SoFA).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #506 on: July 17, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »

Letter To The Editor

It's nice to know that I've become such an irrelevent joke that Ben Constine running for Senate is more newsworthy than me doing so Tongue

Al
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #507 on: July 17, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »

Letter To The Editor

It's nice to know that I've become such an irrelevent joke that Ben Constine running for Senate is more newsworthy than me doing so Tongue

Al

I'd guess it's because you haven't officially declared.  Constine has.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #508 on: July 26, 2008, 11:24:24 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2008, 02:31:01 PM by Torie »

I wish to write a letter to the editor with a brief comment on our Supreme Court's most impressive decision in Jas v Inks.  There is one unfortunate paragraph in it I think which reads as follows:

"In other words, when the Presidency is vacant, whether by resignation, impeachment or conclusion of term, the executive power does not cease to exist; rather, no citizen may exercise the executive power.  Only when a citizen legitimately takes the oath as President, providing him the ability to discharge the powers and duties of the office, may the executive power of the Presidency be exercised."

The statement that "no citizen may exercise the executive power" when the office of the Presidency is vacant surely is not right. Rather (i) such power devolves to the Vice President in the first instance, and (ii) more to the point of the facts of the case, the cabinet officers continue to exercise their powers because, as the Court ruled, their terms do not end when the term of the office expires. In short, the exercise of the executive power is alive and well when the office of the President becomes vacant.

Indeed, the statement is wholly unnecessary, because the issue was not the vacancy of the President, but rather the issue of how and when the terms of office of cabinet members end.   In that regard, the Court could have avoided some of its complex and somewhat strained bridgework which may have led to this unfortunate conflation when it vested the use of the term "President" with two different meanings in various contexts, one meaning in effect being  the executive branch, and the other the actual person of the President, by simply noting that there is no specified ending date to the terms of Cabinet officers, and therefore, given the legal silence, both Constitutional and statutory, their terms continue indefinitely until death, resignation or removal by the President.

I note as an aside, that the above is  the protocol in the U.S. as to when cabinet members cease to hold office, after having looked it up. Sometimes, even in the law, the KISS principle has a certain merit. Terms without a specified end, never end absent a specified legal event that causes them to end, and the end of Presidential terms, or a change of the identity of the President, is not one of those specified ends.

Regards,

Senator Torie
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #509 on: July 26, 2008, 09:05:52 PM »

How do I get elected to the Lt. Governship without posting a making a single post in this board in weeks?  Cheesy I will accept it however, as I do love my region more than cake itself.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2008, 09:15:46 PM »

How do I get elected to the Lt. Governship without posting a making a single post in this board in weeks?  Cheesy I will accept it however, as I do love my region more than cake itself.

Grin Grin Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2008, 09:18:17 AM »

How do I get elected to the Lt. Governship without posting a making a single post in this board in weeks?
Actually, you're being elected Ican'tbelieveit'snotverin.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2008, 11:06:27 AM by ilikeverin »

Turnout is at 87.5% of eligible voters!  My PM worked Grin

Oh, PB, where are you...?  I'm leaving for Europe on Wednesday so it would be nice if he could vote before then Tongue

EDIT: Ah, positive development!  My hotel in London, where I'll be on Friday, has WiFi throughout the hotel!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #513 on: July 28, 2008, 12:16:38 AM »

Turnout is at 87.5% of eligible voters!  My PM worked Grin

Oh, PB, where are you...?  I'm leaving for Europe on Wednesday so it would be nice if he could vote before then Tongue

EDIT: Ah, positive development!  My hotel in London, where I'll be on Friday, has WiFi throughout the hotel!

Until some American short-circuits the hotel with his/her American electrical plugs, of course.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #514 on: December 17, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »

The Examiner Senate Election Tracker

Total Votes Cast: 6
Last Voter: Smid
Quota: 2

Count 1
DWTL2(DWTL, Smid)
Al2(Franzl, GMantis)
Lief1(AndrewCT)
SPC1(SPC)
Bacon King1(Sensei)
Xahar0
gporter0
Franzl0

As things stand, the 5 candidates who have so far received 1st preference votes would be elected.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #515 on: December 17, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »

Here is how I see it:
At least 1 of SPC and DWTL have to be elected (most likely that would be if only one although I think we can both pull it off)
BaconKing will be elected
At least 1 of Al, Lief, and Xahar will be elected (Al almost a guarantee, Lief likely, and Xahar not likely)
And Franzl has better than 50/50 odds

And of course...
LOL @ Gporter
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #516 on: December 17, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »

God, if the goal was to get the most second place votes, I'd be crushing this. Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #517 on: December 17, 2008, 03:55:18 PM »

I'm loving the low preferences, I really am. Nice to know Atlasia still cares about me enough to hate me.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #518 on: December 17, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »

CultureKing/Alcon win the Pacific

Looks like now not only can Xahar not win elections, his endorsed candidates can't either
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #519 on: December 17, 2008, 06:59:08 PM »

The SDP-endorsed candidates' showing was incredibly strong, considering the dominance of the JCP over the region. You see, unlike the RPP, we're not a Southern regionalist party.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #520 on: December 17, 2008, 07:03:20 PM »

The SDP-endorsed candidates' showing was incredibly strong, considering the dominance of the JCP over the region. You see, unlike the RPP, we're not a Southern regionalist party.

Yet at the same time incredibly weak, considering that Xahar was trumpeting this election as being the downfall of the JCP.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #521 on: December 17, 2008, 07:09:17 PM »

'Twill come in time.

But we're not a party of dead voters.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #522 on: December 17, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »

My moving to the federal level did weaken the JCP in the Pacific a bit. Though I'm not sure I would consider moving from ruling a region to ruling a nation a weakening, really! Wink

And we haven't used any "dead voters," whatever the hell that is supposed to mean.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #523 on: December 17, 2008, 08:52:47 PM »

We just pulled 40% in the Northeast with a candidate who is not known by half the forum and hated in the other half.  And we stand a great chance at winning with Fmr. Gov. Inks in the Mideast.  We branch out more than any other party, we just don't waste our time in the Pacific because the JCP is doing a great job there
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #524 on: December 17, 2008, 08:57:23 PM »

We just pulled 40% in the Northeast with a candidate who is not known by half the forum and hated in the other half.  And we stand a great chance at winning with Fmr. Gov. Inks in the Mideast.  We branch out more than any other party, we just don't waste our time in the Pacific because the JCP is doing a great job there

Placing drones everywhere is not good for Atlasia.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies