LA and NC 2014 Congressional Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 03:50:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA and NC 2014 Congressional Races
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 82
Author Topic: LA and NC 2014 Congressional Races  (Read 216459 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: June 07, 2013, 01:54:11 PM »

What's happening in North Carolina? There are these huge protests against NC Republicans.

Obviously the R majority in the general assembly is locked in by redistricting. The D can cut R advantage of supermajority to just simple majority: that is if the D can get their party back in order.

I am very surprise that the R is driving the state hard to the right just as the state is becoming more and more purple. NC is probably 8 years behind VA.

I don't think NC has anything like the DC suburbs in NOVA driving its growth like VA does, does it?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #326 on: June 07, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »

What's happening in North Carolina? There are these huge protests against NC Republicans.

McCrory is taking a very democratic route by trying to end them.

The NAACP has been involved recently because the Republicans repealed the Racial Justice Act. The Assembly has obviously had a rocky relationship with the NAACP. Just in April, Tillis literally ran from a meeting with them. Twice.

I don't think NC has anything like the DC suburbs in NOVA driving its growth like VA does, does it?

In NC, the growth is more evenly distributed between the Charlotte and Raleigh suburbs as well as the Triad.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #327 on: June 07, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »

In the ongoing flood insurance saga in the LA race, the House passed the temporary rate increase delay that Cassidy sponsored.

Meanwhile, Landrieu testified to the Commerce Committee as the RESTORE Act is implemented. The RESTORE Act, among other things, funnels 80% of BP's oil spill fines to the Gulf Coast with about a third of the overall revenue going to coastal parishes. It was one of her signature accomplishments.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #328 on: June 07, 2013, 07:37:39 PM »

The Senate Conservatives Fund, Ted Cruz's group, is officially pulling support for Cassidy because of his indecisiveness on the flat tax:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

illegaloperation

« Reply #329 on: June 07, 2013, 07:58:44 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2013, 08:38:57 PM by illegaloperation »

Actually, NC does. It has the Research Triangle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #330 on: June 08, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »

McCrory is taking a very democratic route by trying to end them.

The NAACP has been involved recently because the Republicans repealed the Racial Justice Act. The Assembly has obviously had a rocky relationship with the NAACP. Just in April, Tillis literally ran from a meeting with them. Twice.

Here's a good DKE diary about some of the regressive bills that are driving the protests.
illegaloperation

« Reply #331 on: June 08, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2013, 04:25:32 PM by illegaloperation »

Here's a good DKE diary about some of the regressive bills that are driving the protests.

What does this mean for future NC elections?

Does it mobilize the Democratic base? I've heard that the GA has also alienated a lot of moderate Republicans.

The state is moving to the left so it will be even more competitive in the future.

Obviously, the far right-wing NC Republicans in the GA are protected to a big extent by redistricting.

Then there's the problem of voter suppression.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #332 on: June 08, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »

I just have a question. Why is this Gop gerrymandering passed in 2010? I mean, the governor was democrat!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #333 on: June 08, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »

I just have a question. Why is this Gop gerrymandering passed in 2010? I mean, the governor was democrat!

The Governor can't veto redistricting in NC. NC has a relatively weak executive; the Governor's office didn't get veto power over anything until 1996.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #334 on: June 08, 2013, 04:46:22 PM »

The Governor can't veto redistricting in NC. NC has a relatively weak executive; the Governor's office didn't get veto power over anything until 1996.

So as Krazen said, the democrats risk to have "100 years of punishment"...
illegaloperation

« Reply #335 on: June 08, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »

The easiest way to fix this is by ballot initiative to create bipartisan redistricting.

It would be much harder for Democrats to win back the majority right before the 2020 redistricting.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #336 on: June 08, 2013, 06:56:49 PM »

The easiest way to fix this is by ballot initiative to create bipartisan redistricting.

It would be much harder for Democrats to win back the majority right before the 2020 redistricting.

North Carolina doesn't have an initiative system though. Only the state legislature can refer something to the ballot right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initiatives_and_referendums_in_the_United_States#Types_of_initiatives_and_referendums
illegaloperation

« Reply #337 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:26 PM »

North Carolina doesn't have an initiative system though. Only the state legislature can refer something to the ballot right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initiatives_and_referendums_in_the_United_States#Types_of_initiatives_and_referendums

It looks like fixing this will be harder than I thought.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #338 on: June 08, 2013, 07:20:46 PM »

Yeah. I personally think the fastest route to end all of this is Democrats winning the presidency in 2016/2020 and appointing new Supreme Court justices after retirements come, thus breaking the current conservative majority on the court. Then that [new] court issues a ruling ending gerrymandering (both federal and state maps) nationwide. And that's quite a stretch too so we're probably going to be dealing with this for some time.
illegaloperation

« Reply #339 on: June 08, 2013, 07:33:27 PM »

Yeah. I personally think the fastest route to end all of this is Democrats winning the presidency in 2016/2020 and appointing new Supreme Court justices after retirements come, thus breaking the current conservative majority on the court. Then that [new] court issues a ruling ending gerrymandering (both federal and state maps) nationwide. And that's quite a stretch too so we're probably going to be dealing with this for some time.

I highly doubt that that would happen. Both parties like gerrymandering.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: June 08, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »

I highly doubt that that would happen. Both parties like gerrymandering.

Yeah but they don't equally "benefit" from it right now, meaning one party has more of an incentive to end the practice:

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #341 on: June 08, 2013, 07:39:49 PM »

For redistricting reform, we're basically at the mercy of the Assembly.

The House would probably pass nonpartisan redistricting legislation, but the Republican leaders in the Senate are more partisan.
illegaloperation

« Reply #342 on: June 08, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2013, 08:10:52 PM by illegaloperation »

The House would probably pass nonpartisan redistricting legislation, but the Republican leaders in the Senate are more partisan.

Why did Democrats ran North Carolina for 130 years without building a fire exit?

Yeah but they don't equally "benefit" from it right now, meaning one party has more of an incentive to end the practice:

That's true. Democratic voters cluster around smaller area (big cities) so they also are more prone to gerrymandering.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #343 on: June 08, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »

Why did Democrats ran North Carolina for 130 years without building a fire exit?

Because it was a one-party state for most of that time.

They didn't give the Governor redistricting authority in the 1990's because they were afraid Jim Martin would veto maps like this.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #344 on: June 08, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »

Because it was a one-party state for most of that time.

They didn't give the Governor redistricting authority in the 1990's because they were afraid Jim Martin would veto maps like this.

Yeah, that 1992 map was so great for Democrats.  Gantt winning just three out of the 12 districts in the close 1990 Senate race is a terrific map for Democrats.

Anyway, Democrats should have passed an independent redistricting commission in mid 2010 when polls showed that it was clear that Democrats would likely lose both chambers of the legislature. 
illegaloperation

« Reply #345 on: June 08, 2013, 11:02:55 PM »

Anyway, Democrats should have passed an independent redistricting commission in mid 2010 when polls showed that it was clear that Democrats would likely lose both chambers of the legislature.  

They don't even have to do that.

After losing the election, the general assembly could have met in a Special Session and pass bipartisan redistricting before a new session in January.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #346 on: June 08, 2013, 11:20:47 PM »

After losing the election, the general assembly could have met in a Special Session and pass bipartisan redistricting before a new session in January.

Perdue tried to make the case for that, but it was too little, too late.
illegaloperation

« Reply #347 on: June 08, 2013, 11:56:17 PM »

Were the lawmakers on vacation and can't comeback or something? All she has to do was call for a lame duck Special Session.

The bill was already written. All they have to do is vote on it.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #348 on: June 09, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »

Were the lawmakers on vacation and can't comeback or something? All she has to do was call for a lame duck Special Session.

The bill was already written. All they have to do is vote on it.

You underestimate the partisanship of the NC Republicans.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #349 on: June 09, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »

Well, looks like for next year, I'll be in charge of the LSU College Democrats! Cheesy

Obviously, the Senate race will be my highest priority. If anyone has suggestions/ideas, feel free to suggest them!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies