Midwest Laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:00:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Midwest Laws
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Midwest Laws  (Read 1343 times)
WiseGuy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2005, 10:13:50 AM »

As a new Midwesterner, I wanted to read the Constitution and the other laws, so I decided to bring them together on one page.  I’m not sure if this is all of them, so if you know of any more, please post them in the format I used here.  Thanks.

The Official Constitution of the Midwest Region, Written by Paul Brunsel

Preamble:

We the people of the Midwestern Region, in order to form a more perfect region, establish justice to ensure regional tranquility. Provide for the common good and promote the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity to ordain and establish this constitution of the Midwestern Region.

Section I: The Governorship

Article I: Election of the Governor

I: The Governor is elected every 4 months.

II: Elections will be held in the months of April, August, and December.

III: Gubernatorial elections will be held on the second to last Friday of the month, with the exception of December, and last until the following Sunday. 

IV: Polls will open Friday at noon, Central Time, and close at noon on Sunday, Central Time.

V: The governor-elect will be sworn in the following Thursday of their election by the current Senator representing District 3 will swear in the governor-elect. If the Senator from District 3 is not present or has been elected Governor, the Governor-elect is given the permission to swear themselves in.

VI: In case of an election tie there will be a run-off election held the next Friday by the same rules and regulations as stated in Clause IV.

VII: If there is a vacancy in the governor's position there will be a special election held.

VIII: IN December the election will be held the second Friday of the month instead of the last.

Article II: The Powers of the Governor

I: The administrative authority of the Midwestern Region will hereby be administered by the Governor of the Midwestern Region.

II: The governor is allowed to appoint a Lieutenant Governor if it is wished by the governor to have that specific post.

III: The Governor may propose any proposition that does not contradict the Regional (unless it is an amendment) or Federal Constitution and shall be voted on by the people in the closest election following the proposal.

IV: The governor is given the power to veto any Proposition that does not have 60% of the vote from the people of the Midwestern Region.

Section II: Propositions

I: Propositions shall be law, regulations, and or state constitutional amendments voted on by the people of the Midwest Region during General and Mid-Term elections

II: Propositions may be submitted by the governor or by citizens of the Midwestern region via petition.

III: For a proposition to be passed and brought before the governor, it must receive more than 50% of the vote by those who show up to vote.

Section III: Petitions

I: A petition must be in the form of a thread to be recognized by the governor.

II: A petition must have 3 or more signatures to get on the ballot.

III: The 3 or more signatures must come within the first two weeks of a petition existence for it to be put on the ballot.

Section IV: The Passing of the Constitution

I: The citizens of the Midwestern Region shall follow the rules and regulations put forth by this Constitution once it is passed.

II: The Constitution must be signed by 5 citizens of the Midwest for it to be ratified.

SIGNED BY:

Secretary of Labor Fritz

PBrunsel

Senator Hughento

Governor Ilikeverin

WMS

Secretary of State Gustaf
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 10:16:50 AM »

The Constitution was modified back in December. You'll have to hope that ILV has it written down somewhere.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 10:18:07 AM »

Oops!  I accidentially posted while I was logged in as WiseGuy, ugh, I'll re-post this thread under my ID, please delete this one.

Thanks!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 10:36:59 AM »

Are you sure you are two brothers? Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 10:38:26 AM »

Hmm, another possible vote fraud....

Actually I trust CheeseWiz is telling the truth unless further evidence shows up; but it might be worth at least a cursory glance into this.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »

Hmm, another possible vote fraud....

Actually I trust CheeseWiz is telling the truth unless further evidence shows up; but it might be worth at least a cursory glance into this.

I agree.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 10:42:19 AM »

If he really one person, pointing out his error like THAT would have pretty stupid...so I trust 'em to be two. Anyways I don't know how you propose to "look into this"...worst an IP check could turn up was that they have to share a computer...big deal...
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 10:46:54 AM »

Well if we were the same person don't you think we would vote for the same guy in the Senate race?

If anyone doubts me still I have plenty[/b] of evidence (including birth certificates, if it comes down to that.)

I really freaked when I accidentially posted as WiseGuy because I thought someone might suspect something, WiseGuy just checked the "always stay logged in" and forgot to log out.  Simple mistake.

And we do share computers (reason for the mistake in the first place) so...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »

Yeah, that's what I figured. My first post was a joke.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 11:42:20 AM »

Well, I'm glad to hear you were just kidding, but you never know who’ll take this seriously.

Here's some of my evidence (just because I feel I should make sure that there's little room for doubt.)  There’s a link to an article about our family trip to Hawai’i.  Scroll down to the bottom to see a picture of us.  I'm the one in the orange (of course) and WiseGuy's the one in the green, that's the rest of my family (and yes, we "have enough kids" and are "all one family" and "bought the whole herd." ::rolls eyes:: )

My real name is Mark (see my web-site) and he's Vince (he once said his name was the same as Vince Gill and that's why he uses him for Fantasy Photo ops.)

And if you look at our voting record we have never had a ballot that was exactly the same.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 11:44:46 AM »

Well, I'm glad to hear you were just kidding, but you never know who’ll take this seriously.

Here's some of my evidence (just because I feel I should make sure that there's little room for doubt.)  There’s a link to an article about our family trip to Hawai’i.  Scroll down to the bottom to see a picture of us.  I'm the one in the orange (of course) and WiseGuy's the one in the green, that's the rest of my family (and yes, we "have enough kids" and are "all one family" and "bought the whole herd." ::rolls eyes:: )

My real name is Mark (see my web-site) and he's Vince (he once said his name was the same as Vince Gill and that's why he uses him for Fantasy Photo ops.)

And if you look at our voting record we have never had a ballot that was exactly the same.

Nice picture.  In some ways, I'm just aggravated by other things right now.  I do believe that y'all are two different people, though.
WiseGuy

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 11:55:40 AM »

Um, I figured that I should say something about this before the thread is deleted.  I did log in last night and I checked the "stayed logged in forever" box.

Also, I would just like to point out that CheeseWhiz and I have never voted for the same candidate in any of the elections that we have voted in, except for KEmperor in this weekend's presidential race.

We decided to post the backs of our library cards (first thing we could think of that both of us have in our possession) Tongue

CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 09:06:58 PM »

Well, that signature on the library card is old and cheesy Cheesy

Back to what this thread was started for (albeit under the wrong account,) I was thinking that maybe I could become the Constitutional Scholar for the Midwest.  I thought I’d do this because I really look up to the Atlasian Scholars that I know of, Peter Bell and Ernest.  I have the amendment, and I was trying to integrate them into the Constitution.  The first was easy, but the second one I just can’t do Sad so if someone wants to help me integrate them, I’d be eternaly grateful Smiley Here are the two amendments:

Section I, Article I, IV will be replaced by 'Polls will open Friday at noon, Central Time, and close at noon on Sunday, Central Time.  Elections will be held using Instant Runoff Voting.'

Section I, Article I, VI will be replaced by 'If the final preference count is tied, then the winner is determined by the candidate who recieved the most first place votes.  If that is tied, then the winner is determined by an instant runoff between the tied candidates.  If that is also tied, then the winner is determined by a majority vote of Senators representing states in the Midwest region that have registered voters residing within them.  If that is tied, then one of the votes is randomly discarded by an impartial judge (that judge to be decided by the Senatorial panel).  If it manages to be tied after that, votes are randomly discarded until it is no longer a tie.

This amendment will take effect by the December elections.

Section I, Article I, III will be replaced with 'Gubernatorial elections will be held on the second to last Friday of the month, with the exception of December, where the election will be held on the second Friday of that month, and last until the following Sunday.

Section I, Article I, VIII will be stricken.

A new Article in Section I, to be placed between the current Sections I and II, will be titled "Section II: Election Procedure".  The current section II will be renamed "Section III: The Powers of the Governor".

Article I will contain the following clauses {is that what they're called?}: Section I, Article I, II, III, and VII, with VII being renamed to IV.

The new Article II will contain the following clauses: Section I, Article I, IV, V, VI, with the clauses to be renamed III, V, and VI.

{Note: All Clauses will still be referred to by their new title in this amendment, to try to make the change more apparant.  If this is confusing, tell me, I'll refer to them in their old form }

A new Section I, Article II, I will be created, and it will read, 'The election will be administered by the federal Secretary of Forum Affairs, or the Chief Justice of the federal Supreme Court, according to the wishes of the Governor.  If the Governor does not choose, the election will be held by the federal Secretary of Forum Affairs.'

A new Section I, Article II, II will be created, and will read, 'The filing deadline to be placed on the ballot for the office of Governor will be 24 hours before the election is to begin.'

Section I, Article II, III will be amended to read, 'Polls will open Friday morning at 12:00am midnight, Central Time, and close at 12:00am midnight on Monday morning, Central Time.  The elections will be administered by the rules set forth in Section I, Article II, Clause IV'

A new Section I, Article II, IV will be created, and will read, 'The election will be held by instant runoff voting (IRV).  No write-in candidates will be accepted.  You must preference all candidates.  If both of those provisions are violated, the ballot will be considered spoiled and will be thrown out.  If only one of them is, the ballot will be placed aside in case of a tie.'

Section I, Article II, V will be amended to read, 'The governor-elect will be sworn in the following Thursday of their election by the Chief Justice of the federal Supreme Court. If the Justice of the federal Supreme Court is not present or has been elected Governor, the Governor-elect is given the permission to swear themselves in.'

Section I, Article II, VI will be amended to read, 'If the final preference count is tied, then the provisional ballots from people who had one error with their ballot will be counted as normal ballots.  If that is tied, then the winner is determined by the candidate who recieved the most first place votes. If that is tied, then the winner is determined by an instant runoff between the tied candidates. If that is also tied, then the winner is determined by a majority vote of Senators representing states in the Midwest region that have registered voters residing within them. If that is tied, then one of the votes is randomly discarded by an impartial judge (that judge to be decided by the Senatorial panel). If it manages to be tied after that, votes are randomly discarded until it is no longer a tie.'
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 09:30:21 PM »

Kiki Thank you for this!

Just don't run against me! Wink

Have you found the old voting booths?

If not, I'll be happy to dredge up the other propositions that passed!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 09:41:26 PM »

Voting booths:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=13717.0 - December
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=7269.0 - August
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=12594.0 - November

Speeches/Campaigning/Proposals (from me Smiley):

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=12337.0 - November
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=13261.0 - December
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=2907.0 - May
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=2625.0 - May
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=6035.0 - August

Miscellaneous:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=7005.0 - August! LOL
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=6703.0 - August
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=4340.0 - MW Constitution Drafting
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=1928.0 - From the Ye Olde Times
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=6338.0 - August
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=2292.0 - May, I wasn't sure how to categorize this
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2005, 09:46:45 PM »

You’re welcome!

Hmmm…  Nah, I don’t think I’ll be prepared to take office (I want to be really ready to be in an office before I take it.)

Thank you!
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 04:04:58 PM »

This is the Constitution with the addition of the First Amendment:

Preamble:

We the people of the Midwestern Region, in order to form a more perfect region, establish justice to ensure regional tranquility. Provide for the common good and promote the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity to ordain and establish this constitution of the Midwestern Region.

Article I: Election of the Governor

I: The Governor is elected every 4 months.

II: Elections will be held in the months of April, August, and December.

III: Gubernatorial elections will be held on the second to last Friday of the month, with the exception of December, and last until the following Sunday. 

IV: Polls will open Friday at noon, Central Time, and close at noon on Sunday, Central Time.  Elections will be held using Instant Runoff Voting.

V: The governor-elect will be sworn in the following Thursday of their election by the current Senator representing District 3 will swear in the governor-elect. If the Senator from District 3 is not present or has been elected Governor, the Governor-elect is given the permission to swear themselves in.

VI: If the final preference count is tied, then the winner is determined by the candidate who recieved the most first place votes.  If that is tied, then the winner is determined by an instant runoff between the tied candidates.  If that is also tied, then the winner is determined by a majority vote of Senators representing states in the Midwest region that have registered voters residing within them.  If that is tied, then one of the votes is randomly discarded by an impartial judge (that judge to be decided by the Senatorial panel).  If it manages to be tied after that, votes are randomly discarded until it is no longer a tie.

VII: If there is a vacancy in the governor's position there will be a special election held.

VIII: IN December the election will be held the second Friday of the month instead of the last.

I: The administrative authority of the Midwestern Region will hereby be administered by the Governor of the Midwestern Region.

II: The governor is allowed to appoint a Lieutenant Governor if it is wished by the governor to have that specific post.

III: The Governor may propose any proposition that does not contradict the Regional (unless it is an amendment) or Federal Constitution and shall be voted on by the people in the closest election following the proposal.

IV: The governor is given the power to veto any Proposition that does not have 60% of the vote from the people of the Midwestern Region.

I: Propositions shall be law, regulations, and or state constitutional amendments voted on by the people of the Midwest Region during General and Mid-Term elections

II: Propositions may be submitted by the governor or by citizens of the Midwestern region via petition.

III: For a proposition to be passed and brought before the governor, it must receive more than 50% of the vote by those who show up to vote.

III: The 3 or more signatures must come within the first two weeks of a petition existence for it to be put on the ballot.

I: The citizens of the Midwestern Region shall follow the rules and regulations put forth by this Constitution once it is passed.

II: The Constitution must be signed by 5 citizens of the Midwest for it to be ratified.

This is the part on the Second Amendment that has me stumped:

Article I will contain the following clauses {is that what they're called?}: Section I, Article I, II, III, and VII, with VII being renamed to IV.

The new Article II will contain the following clauses: Section I, Article I, IV, V, VI, with the clauses to be renamed III, V, and VI.

I just can't figure out exactly what this is supposed to be doing Sad
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2005, 05:20:35 PM »

That's moving stuff around, to make it all easier to read.  Here ya go:

This is the Constitution with the addition of the First Amendment:

Preamble:

Article I: Governor Thing 1 (I'll get a title for this eventually!)

I: Elections will be held in the months of April, August, and December.

II: Gubernatorial elections will be held on the second to last Friday of the month, with the exception of December, where the election will be held on the second Friday of that month, and last until the following Sunday.

III: If there is a vacancy in the governor's position there will be a special election held.

Section II: Election Procedure

I: The election will be administered by the federal Secretary of Forum Affairs, or the Chief Justice of the federal Supreme Court, according to the wishes of the Governor.  If the Governor does not choose, the election will be held by the federal Secretary of Forum Affairs.

II: The filing deadline to be placed on the ballot for the office of Governor will be 24 hours before the election is to begin.

III: Polls will open Friday morning at 12:00am midnight, Central Time, and close at 12:00am midnight on Monday morning, Central Time.  The elections will be administered by the rules set forth in Section I, Article II, Clause IV.

IV: The election will be held by instant runoff voting (IRV).  No write-in candidates will be accepted.  You must preference all candidates.  If both of those provisions are violated, the ballot will be considered spoiled and will be thrown out.  If only one of them is, the ballot will be placed aside in case of a tie.

V: The governor-elect will be sworn in the following Thursday of their election by the Chief Justice of the federal Supreme Court. If the Justice of the federal Supreme Court is not present or has been elected Governor, the Governor-elect is given the permission to swear themselves in.

VI: If the final preference count is tied, then the provisional ballots from people who had one error with their ballot will be counted as normal ballots.  If that is tied, then the winner is determined by the candidate who recieved the most first place votes. If that is tied, then the winner is determined by an instant runoff between the tied candidates. If that is also tied, then the winner is determined by a majority vote of Senators representing states in the Midwest region that have registered voters residing within them. If that is tied, then one of the votes is randomly discarded by an impartial judge (that judge to be decided by the Senatorial panel). If it manages to be tied after that, votes are randomly discarded until it is no longer a tie.

I think I'm forgetting something!

(Oh, and if you have any problems with the constitution, or anything, feel free to propose something... you'd be the first Midwestern resident besides me to do so Tongue)
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2005, 07:51:22 PM »

I am eternally grateful to you, ILV.   Off-topic, but I have to ask, do play the game “Petz?”  They do a lot W00Ting in their community Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies