SENATE BILL: An Actual End to Imperialism Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:26:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: An Actual End to Imperialism Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: An Actual End to Imperialism Act (Failed)  (Read 3994 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »

Aye
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 06:03:58 PM »

Aye.

I don't approve of Israel's actions in any way (and I also wish to see restrictions placed on them), but I also wish to see how the talks go.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 11:01:43 PM »

By a vote of 7-2, the amendment has been adopted.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 01:31:28 AM »

What now?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 08:39:43 AM »

I will propose an amendment to this shortly.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The peace talks seem to be working so far, but I do agree with Senator TNF on the need of a more tough stance on Israel to force a peace settlement. An economic embargo as originally proposed goes too far for me, but I advocated for military restrictions back in January and I stand for that proposal, hence the amendment. Our military aid to Israel is already in a low level, so this serves as a gesture that is (in my opinion) very eloquent (and temporary) while not representing a compete abandonment of Israel as an ally, which is a legitimate concern showed by other Atlasians.

I also have other ideas, but I would like to see what is the Senate's opinion of restrictions on Israel.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 07:49:06 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2014, 08:48:39 PM by Senator Malcolm X »

The peace talks seem to be working so far, but I do agree with Senator TNF on the need of a more tough stance on Israel to force a peace settlement. An economic embargo as originally proposed goes too far for me, but I advocated for military restrictions back in January and I stand for that proposal, hence the amendment. Our military aid to Israel is already in a low level, so this serves as a gesture that is (in my opinion) very eloquent (and temporary) while not representing a compete abandonment of Israel as an ally, which is a legitimate concern showed by other Atlasians.

I also have other ideas, but I would like to see what is the Senate's opinion of restrictions on Israel.

If this is an amendment, I object.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »

X, your text got lost in the formatting. (For the record, he objected.)

I support the amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »

Are you formerly offering this at this time or just trial balooning the text (which your last sentence seems to indicate)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »

Are you formerly offering this at this time or just trial balooning the text (which your last sentence seems to indicate)

I apologize for the vagueness, I am offering a formal amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 08:54:16 PM »

Amendments have to be on the floor formerly for 24 hours before a vote can be started on them, which is tomorrow around six.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »

Regardless of how one may feel about the CIA and its.. dubious...history, slashing our intelligence budget sk significantly will be harmful to our position on the international stage. As the author of the original End to Imperialism Act, I sympathize with the sentiments expressed in this bill but undermining our intelligence capabilities is dangerous. During my Presidency we tore down and reconstructed how this data is processed and we transitioned from a foundation of force to a foundation of intelligence. Therefore, as odd as it may sound, diminishing our intelligence gathering will be a threat to globalnpeace. I encourage this Senate to keep CIA funding at current levels or greater.

Was this reform of the CIA part of a bill or was it a executive action?  What do you think of this bill's paragraph 2?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2014, 11:53:53 PM »

Amendment is friendly, FTR.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 11:59:01 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2014, 12:05:20 AM by Napoleon »

Regardless of how one may feel about the CIA and its.. dubious...history, slashing our intelligence budget sk significantly will be harmful to our position on the international stage. As the author of the original End to Imperialism Act, I sympathize with the sentiments expressed in this bill but undermining our intelligence capabilities is dangerous. During my Presidency we tore down and reconstructed how this data is processed and we transitioned from a foundation of force to a foundation of intelligence. Therefore, as odd as it may sound, diminishing our intelligence gathering will be a threat to global peace. I encourage this Senate to keep CIA funding at current levels or greater.

Was this reform of the CIA part of a bill or was it a executive action?  What do you think of this bill's paragraph 2?

It was executive. I'm not fully supportive of section 2. I think surveillance of high ranking foreign officials is necessary at times and it would be wrong to unilaterally disarm our intelligence gathering. I think if limited to NATO members or something like that, it would be fine, but why shouldn't Iran and Pakistan and other countries have an eye kept on them? No doubt other countries will be doing this to us and ultimately its nonviolent/can be used to prevent conflicts.

I don't think Atlasia needs to diminish its position as a strong nation and global leader by reducing our resources even if we have (rightfully) reduced our militarized presence. I would also oppose leaving NATO and have concerns about allowing strikes potentially during wars. Its a shame debate here is so focused on knee jerk reactions to the Israel clause, I think the NATO issue is much more deserving of our attention and discussion. That said there are many positives here too.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 12:17:08 AM »

Regardless of how one may feel about the CIA and its.. dubious...history, slashing our intelligence budget sk significantly will be harmful to our position on the international stage. As the author of the original End to Imperialism Act, I sympathize with the sentiments expressed in this bill but undermining our intelligence capabilities is dangerous. During my Presidency we tore down and reconstructed how this data is processed and we transitioned from a foundation of force to a foundation of intelligence. Therefore, as odd as it may sound, diminishing our intelligence gathering will be a threat to global peace. I encourage this Senate to keep CIA funding at current levels or greater.

It was executive. I'm not fully supportive of section 2. I think surveillance of high ranking foreign officials is necessary at times and it would be wrong to unilaterally disarm our intelligence gathering. I think if limited to NATO members or something like that, it would be fine, but why shouldn't Iran and Pakistan and other countries have an eye kept on them? No doubt other countries will be doing this to us and ultimately its nonviolent/can be used to prevent conflicts.

I don't think Atlasia needs to diminish its position as a strong nation and global leader by reducing our resources even if we have (rightfully) reduced our militarized presence. I would also oppose leaving NATO and have concerns about allowing strikes potentially during wars. Its a shame debate here is so focused on knee jerk reactions to the Israel clause, I think the NATO issue is much more deserving of our attention and discussion. That said there are many positives here too.

Yes, discussions of Israel tend to overshadow everything else.   
Do you have a link to your executive order on the CIA?  It may be worth codifying here.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 12:42:38 AM »
« Edited: March 07, 2014, 12:45:40 AM by Napoleon »

I don't think I had an executive order for that, I left that to my plethora of SoEAs (I think I had five). I don't think anything needs codified, the executive branch tends to lay the foreign policy foundation and set the tone.

And I believe leaving NATO would require seven votes- withdrawing from a treaty would likely be covered by the treaty clause. We also have a free trade agreement with Israel so yeah.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 12:57:18 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2014, 01:27:39 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
Status: An objection has been filed by Senator Mr. X. The VP may open a vote on this at any time.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »

The objection was actually filed by Senator X.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Origination

A vote is now open on the amendment, please vote: AYE, NAY, or Abstain.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2014, 04:27:48 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2014, 06:32:44 AM by Senator bore »

Aye

Based on the new information from the SOEA I'm changing my vote to Nay.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2014, 04:51:08 PM »

NAY
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon