OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:35:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 188246 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: April 17, 2018, 06:52:11 PM »

What is it with Democrat "anti-establishment" types and having an affinity for Assad?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1576 on: April 17, 2018, 07:20:22 PM »

It gets worse:
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1577 on: April 17, 2018, 10:20:59 PM »

Moms Demand Action has given Cordray the "gun sense candidate" distinction. Don't really understand why, if I'm being honest, but hopefully that helps him in the primary.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1578 on: April 18, 2018, 12:44:25 AM »

Gabbard Endorses Kucinich
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1579 on: April 18, 2018, 12:47:15 AM »

Totally shocked.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1580 on: April 18, 2018, 09:02:51 AM »

Moms Demand Action has given Cordray the "gun sense candidate" distinction. Don't really understand why, if I'm being honest, but hopefully that helps him in the primary.

Yeah, I've basically come around to voting for Cordray in the primary -- though I still like Joe better -- and he really doesn't deserve Moms Demand Action's (non-)endorsement.

ION: Democrats have a 25,000 vote lead in primary votes thus far. For those curious, in 2006, when Strickland beat Blackwell by nearly two-to-one, there were 800,000 votes in the contested D primary and 825,000 votes in the contested R primary; in 2010, when both Strickland and Kasich went unchallenged in the primary, there were 630,000 votes in the D primary, and 745,000 votes in the R primary; and in 2014, where Kasich was uncontested and FitzGerald faced only token opposition, there were 440,000 votes in the D primary and 560,000 votes in the R primary.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1581 on: April 18, 2018, 11:54:17 AM »

Of course she does.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1582 on: April 18, 2018, 06:37:11 PM »

Yeah, I've basically come around to voting for Cordray in the primary -- though I still like Joe better -- and he really doesn't deserve Moms Demand Action's (non-)endorsement.

ION: Democrats have a 25,000 vote lead in primary votes thus far. For those curious, in 2006, when Strickland beat Blackwell by nearly two-to-one, there were 800,000 votes in the contested D primary and 825,000 votes in the contested R primary; in 2010, when both Strickland and Kasich went unchallenged in the primary, there were 630,000 votes in the D primary, and 745,000 votes in the R primary; and in 2014, where Kasich was uncontested and FitzGerald faced only token opposition, there were 440,000 votes in the D primary and 560,000 votes in the R primary.

I'm doing a nice post on my twitter - and probably here as well tomorrow, which includes a Town-by-town map of the 2010 race between Corday and DeWine which took forever to create because Ohio never participated in the pre-2010 tigerline project and lack precinct shapefiles for the race. The fact that Rs tend to always have a primary advantage is something I have discovered as a trend - the last time Dems won was 2008 with the competative obama v clinton race.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1583 on: April 18, 2018, 06:39:01 PM »

I'm doing a nice post on my twitter - and probably here as well tomorrow, which includes a Town-by-town map of the 2010 race between Corday and DeWine which took forever to create because Ohio never participated in the pre-2010 tigerline project and lack precinct shapefiles for the race. The fact that Rs tend to always have a primary advantage is something I have discovered as a trend - the last time Dems won was 2008 with the competative obama v clinton race.
Link your twitter if you don't mind
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1584 on: April 18, 2018, 08:14:50 PM »

Link your twitter if you don't mind

Now in sig
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1585 on: April 18, 2018, 10:03:36 PM »

Please do cross post!

Of note: Ohio didn't release the partisan request of early votes until 2016, so we really don't know what the 25,000 vote lead means thus far. You are right about the general primary advantage, though. If we're not too far behind or leading by end of voting May 8th, I will be very pleased.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1586 on: April 19, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »

Cruz has endorsed Taylor. lol
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1587 on: April 19, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »

You didn't want a cross post, so I (obviously) won't post the whole 20 map story. However, the capstone is very relevant to November - the 2010 Attorney General Race by township.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1588 on: April 19, 2018, 06:29:39 PM »

You didn't want a cross post, so I (obviously) won't post the whole 20 map story. However, the capstone is very relevant to November - the 2010 Attorney General Race by township.

On its surface that would appear to be a pretty good map for a Democrat. Tough to analyze on its face where cordray went wrong, even acknowledging that it was a razor tight race. Completely bombed in the Southwest outside Cincy and Dayton perhaps?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1589 on: April 19, 2018, 06:38:47 PM »

Cordray did really well that year, especially when compared to other candidates. Strickland didn't come close in Hamilton, and tied in Franklin. Cordray crushed in the latter, matching obama, and tied in the former. Where he failed is his inability to keep the many Strickland voters in the SE from voting for DeWine - even though he did nice there for a dem.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1590 on: April 19, 2018, 10:01:17 PM »

On its surface that would appear to be a pretty good map for a Democrat. Tough to analyze on its face where cordray went wrong, even acknowledging that it was a razor tight race. Completely bombed in the Southwest outside Cincy and Dayton perhaps?

That's typical in Southwest, especially back then (Hamilton County is bluer than it used to be.) Southwest is the most Republican region of Ohio.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1591 on: April 19, 2018, 11:45:33 PM »

You didn't want a cross post, so I (obviously) won't post the whole 20 map story.

On the contrary, I did ask for a cross post!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1592 on: April 19, 2018, 11:52:46 PM »

That's typical in Southwest, especially back then (Hamilton County is bluer than it used to be.) Southwest is the most Republican region of Ohio.

That, and it's DeWine's home region. If Cordray had won some Democratic precincts in Xenia and/or done a little better around Springfield, he would have had a narrow victory. Husted has played this election like a fiddle in joining DeWine's ticket, and they will be very strong in the Dayton metro.

Would love to see more of Oryxslayer's maps, but my guess would be that Cordray will need to 1: continue to overperform the Columbus exurbs, 2: make back gains in Appalachia, and 3: perform stronger than he historically has in NEOH. Strickland always underperformed that region, and it is where Ohio Democrats have always needed to maximize turnout. Hopefully, with Ted not on the ticket and a local on the ticket, Cordray pulls it off.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1593 on: April 20, 2018, 09:57:13 AM »

That, and it's DeWine's home region. If Cordray had won some Democratic precincts in Xenia and/or done a little better around Springfield, he would have had a narrow victory. Husted has played this election like a fiddle in joining DeWine's ticket, and they will be very strong in the Dayton metro.

Would love to see more of Oryxslayer's maps, but my guess would be that Cordray will need to 1: continue to overperform the Columbus exurbs, 2: make back gains in Appalachia, and 3: perform stronger than he historically has in NEOH. Strickland always underperformed that region, and it is where Ohio Democrats have always needed to maximize turnout. Hopefully, with Ted not on the ticket and a local on the ticket, Cordray pulls it off.

#1 is basically a given sincr Republicans are likely in for a NoVA in 2017-level historic beatdown in almost all of Franklin County regardless of the race (and Cordrey has a strong personal brand in the southwestern part of the county).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1594 on: April 20, 2018, 11:16:24 AM »

#1 is basically a given sincr Republicans are likely in for a NoVA in 2017-level historic beatdown in almost all of Franklin County regardless of the race (and Cordrey has a strong personal brand in the southwestern part of the county).

Right. And those are among the most conservative parts of the County. (Though I’d argue his strength is more southern, period. Grove City is more Southeastern than Southwestern.) He really needs to keep pace with — if not exceed — past performances in Fairfield, Licking, and Delaware. That shouldn’t be hard in Delaware, but Licking, and Fairfield in partocular, could be a problem.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1595 on: April 20, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »

One of the things that I took away from my map analysis was how much Cordray has a base in Franklin and the greater Columbus metro, not just the south county. His average race saw Franklin match Cuyahoga in margins at a time when dems were struggling to win the county. And if we compare to Obama (who did better then most of the Ohio 2010 dems) Cordray barely looses the county and crushes Obama's margins in the surrounding counties. I don't think Delaware is going to become a Dem county anytime soon, but Cordray's appeal to the metro + Clinton margins in the county could flip it in a dem victory scenario.

Ohioguy29

« Reply #1596 on: April 22, 2018, 05:32:02 PM »

Update on the Rick Perales scandal. These texts indicate that he was planning to meet up with her in person, which contradicts his claim that the affair was texting only. Then again, they may have not followed through on the plans, so he could be telling the truth.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1597 on: April 24, 2018, 02:08:52 AM »

It gets worse:

Not to engage in whataboutism (I’m tepidly pro Cordray) but I eagerly await everyone jumping on the establishment’s connections to the Saudi, Qatari, and Emirati royal/noble families, or to the Mubarak regime back in the day and no doubt the Sisi regime in the future with the zeal we’re all jumping on Kucinich for association with Assad.

We’re the imperial hegemon atm (or at least we were, and are a great power now). Really unpleasant people the world over want our politicians’ support. I should hope that we’re all not so naive as to judge Kucinich for merely backing a loser in the lobbying game of “Get Washington To Forgive Your Atrocities.”
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1598 on: April 24, 2018, 11:37:48 AM »

This only makes me support Kucinich even more.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1599 on: April 24, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »

It gets worse:

Not to engage in whataboutism (I’m tepidly pro Cordray) but I eagerly await everyone jumping on the establishment’s connections to the Saudi, Qatari, and Emirati royal/noble families, or to the Mubarak regime back in the day and no doubt the Sisi regime in the future with the zeal we’re all jumping on Kucinich for association with Assad.

We’re the imperial hegemon atm (or at least we were, and are a great power now). Really unpleasant people the world over want our politicians’ support. I should hope that we’re all not so naive as to judge Kucinich for merely backing a loser in the lobbying game of “Get Washington To Forgive Your Atrocities.”

That’s a fair point, but there are plenty of other issues with Kucinich.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies