Impeachment Megathread Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:48:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Impeachment Megathread Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78
Author Topic: Impeachment Megathread Part 3  (Read 78331 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1850 on: February 06, 2020, 02:00:36 AM »

It appears that I, as a dane, is more of a US patriot than the entire GOP US congress outside of Mitt Romney.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1851 on: February 06, 2020, 02:37:50 AM »

Applause for Mitt Romney. At least he stood up against a lawless prez who abused power for his personal gain. He will be on the right side of history, while all the GOP enablers who voted to acquit despite evidence clear as day will be on the wrong side of history. They will be remembered for failing to stand up for the constitution and turned the so called "world's most deliberative body" into a laughingstock. The precedent set today, set by spineless politicians putting their short term political benefit over the rule of law, will make it much harder to hold any future prez, regardless of party, accountable. Their horrible precedent says, prez can do anything he wants because impeaching would "overturn an election" and "piss off his voters."
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1852 on: February 06, 2020, 04:41:33 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2020, 04:53:54 AM by Russian Bear »

What will Democrats do now?

They claimed that Trump was a "threat to Republic". So if they weren't lying this time, they really should put a lot more efforts into investigating Trump-threat. And I expect them to talk about this "threat" in every interview.

Or will it be like with Russia Hoax? Democrats (Schiff) have been lying in 3 years that "smoking gun" that will prove c-c-collusion will come, but it never did. And after Mueller report was out, there were  never really much noise from Democrats...
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1853 on: February 06, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1854 on: February 06, 2020, 09:48:32 AM »

Any final vote predictions?

I'll say 56-44 to acquit (all Republicans plus Manchin, Jones, and Sinema).

Subtract Jones from that list, and this would be my guess as well. Sinema's behavior tonight, with her being the only Democrat to applaud much of what Trump said-i.e. when he mentioned opportunity zones-and her demonstrated willingness to buck the party line-as seen through her voting record-suggests to me that she is leaning towards acquittal. Manchin comes from the most Trump-supportive state of any Democrat (and West Virginia will be outraged if he votes to convict), and he condemned the "partisan nature" of Trump's impeachment in his Senate speech.

Given this, and given that he knows his vote won't be critical to the final outcome, just like with Kavanaugh, he should vote to acquit. As for Jones, he knows that he is DOA in the general this fall, and he has voted much more in line with the Democratic caucus than Manchin and Sinema-much more like Tester (the only red-state Democrat voting to convict). Moreover, turnout among the Democratic base would be depressed if he voted for acquittal. Thus, I'm expecting him to vote his conscience, and to vote to convict.

Well, I was right about Jones, but wrong about Manchin and Sinema. Romney voting to convict gave them the cover they needed to do so as well. In that way, at least, the impeachment ended in a less than positive way for Trump.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1855 on: February 06, 2020, 12:35:40 PM »

Trump press conference is a good reminder of hilariously bad faith the “he learned his lesson” takes from Collins was
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1856 on: February 06, 2020, 12:38:25 PM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1857 on: February 06, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2020, 12:57:20 PM by pppolitics »

https://youtu.be/ARP9m7-PzJU?t=440

Susan Collins Admits Trump May Not Have Learned His ‘Lesson’

One day after Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) announced her decision to vote against removing President Trump from office by saying that she believes he has learned his “lesson” and will be “much more cautious in the future,” she admitted on Fox News that her assumption was based on nothing. Asked by Fox anchor Martha MacCallum if Trump gave her any “assurance” that he would not accept (or solicit) foreign help in his next election, Collins said she has not spoken to him once throughout the Senate trial, which ended in the president’s acquittal Wednesday afternoon.

“So why do you have that feeling that he has changed, that he learned a lesson?” MacCallum asked. Collins smiled broadly as she replied, “Well, I may not be correct on that. It’s more aspirational on my part, it’s more that I hope that he’s listened to the many voices in the Senate who have pointed out that the call was very problematic.” President Trump has never admitted that his phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was anything less than “perfect.”
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1858 on: February 06, 2020, 12:44:59 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2020, 12:48:51 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Trump speaking right now on his acquittal.  

Among other items, he basically just accused Romney of using his faith as a crutch.  

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1859 on: February 06, 2020, 12:48:30 PM »

Trump speaking right now on his acquittal. 

He basically just accused Romney of using his faith as a crutch. 
Something his evangelical supporters are experts at
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1860 on: February 06, 2020, 12:51:58 PM »

Lol the same guy who was dazzling in the SOTU, is rambling for an hour.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1861 on: February 06, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2020, 01:05:01 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

I was about to say -- I would give more concrete updates on what he's saying, but he's all over the place.  "Rambling" is right.

Trump could have really capitalized on this, pushing for an end to the rampant partisanship and encouraging Congress to move on.  That would have likely played well considering the circumstances.  

But nope.  So far, we've heard how he's responsible for putting GOP senators in office, how his children have been unfairly portrayed as profiting off the Trump name, Jim Jordan's wrestling credentials (at the wrong university -- Penn State -- if I heard that correctly), etc.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1862 on: February 06, 2020, 01:11:32 PM »

That's how Trump wins!  Angry
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1863 on: February 06, 2020, 01:20:59 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2020, 01:33:59 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

And now we've arrived at Hillary's emails, accusing the FBI of "trying to overthrow the government", and calling the FBI heads "scum".  Oh, and that he wouldn't still be President if he hadn't dismissed James Comey. 

Our institutions have their issues, but c'mon man.  
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1864 on: February 06, 2020, 01:22:31 PM »

Romney is a RINO and a traitor to the party, the guy literally had to move to another state to win an election.

He's an American First and Republican second. Take a lesson.

Christian first, American second, Republican turd. Smiley
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1865 on: February 06, 2020, 01:26:42 PM »

Well, that was wild.  Even by Trump standards. 
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1866 on: February 06, 2020, 01:32:21 PM »

Everything in that post-impeachment speech by trump, just proves of how psychotic, delusional and childish he is.
That must be one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen a president do in my lifetime.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1867 on: February 06, 2020, 02:09:28 PM »

One day after Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) announced her decision to vote against removing President Trump from office by saying that she believes he has learned his “lesson” and will be “much more cautious in the future,” she admitted on Fox News that her assumption was based on nothing. Asked by Fox anchor Martha MacCallum if Trump gave her any “assurance” that he would not accept (or solicit) foreign help in his next election, Collins said she has not spoken to him once throughout the Senate trial, which ended in the president’s acquittal Wednesday afternoon.

“So why do you have that feeling that he has changed, that he learned a lesson?” MacCallum asked. Collins smiled broadly as she replied, “Well, I may not be correct on that. It’s more aspirational on my part, it’s more that I hope that he’s listened to the many voices in the Senate who have pointed out that the call was very problematic.” President Trump has never admitted that his phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was anything less than “perfect.”

What a surprise! Donald Trump hasn't learned his lesson?! I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked. How could this have happened?

Susan Collins should have asked herself, whether Donald Trump has ever learned any lesson in his life? Spoiler: No, he didn't. Never have, never will.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1868 on: February 06, 2020, 02:10:39 PM »

Well, Susan Collins will be given a lesson by the voters of Maine this fall.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1869 on: February 06, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »

Trump's approvals are improbable, Pelosi needs to fix the homeless crisis in her own district.  We need to move on past impeachment.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1870 on: February 06, 2020, 03:14:14 PM »

What a surprise! Donald Trump hasn't learned his lesson?! I'm shocked. Absolutely shocked. How could this have happened?

Susan Collins should have asked herself, whether Donald Trump has ever learned any lesson in his life? Spoiler: No, he didn't. Never have, never will.

My respect for Susan Collins has declined considerably since the Kavanaugh affair. She is constantly trying to come up with excuses for Trump's behavior. She is also a hypocrite. I saw her interviews with Martha MacCallum and with Norah O'Donnell the other day, in which she defended her decision to acquit Trump. She lamented the "loss of civility" in this country and accused her critics, who attacked her for voting with McConnell's approval, of being "sexists". These are things which can just as easily apply to Trump himself.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1871 on: February 06, 2020, 03:18:46 PM »

My respect for Susan Collins has declined considerably since the Kavanaugh affair. She is constantly trying to come up with excuses for Trump's behavior. She is also a hypocrite. I saw her interviews with Martha MacCallum and with Norah O'Donnell the other day, in which she defended her decision to acquit Trump. She lamented the "loss of civility" in this country and accused her critics, who attacked her for voting with McConnell's approval, of being "sexists". These are things which can just as easily apply to Trump himself.

It was so incredibly heart-warming when she received applause  at the airport after landing back in Maine for her vote against ACA repeal.

Seems like ages ago.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1872 on: February 06, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »

The whining she does is insufferable. I don’t know why anyone would like her anymore after these last two years: moderates, liberals and conservatives
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1873 on: February 06, 2020, 03:22:28 PM »

It was so incredibly heart-warming when she received applause  at the airport after landing back in Maine for her vote against ACA repeal.

Seems like ages ago.

If Collins had continued with that, by voting against Kavanaugh and voting for conviction, she would probably be in a better position. She would have lost the Republican primary, but could have taken a page out of Angus King's book and run for reelection as an independent. And I think she would win relatively easily. But instead, she's shot herself in the foot, and wiped away the goodwill which she once had.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1874 on: February 06, 2020, 03:22:59 PM »

The part that is so frustrating is how much Trump and Mitch just beat on the worst parts of America society to bail them out. I mean the Senate Republicans attitude throughout this scandal is essentially  “yeah the evidence shows he’s guilty but who cares? Most of you guys will lose interest in this stuff, Fox will keep our base in line, and everybody else can go f**k themselves cause we don’t need you to win in November thanks to the electoral college”
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies