Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:08:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: Troubling Times - A 1968 Presidential Election Game (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 29554 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »

Dillon's Victory Speech in Jacksonville, Florida

Thank you so very, very much!

This is a really amazing night. Thank you Kansas, Nebraska, Tennessee and North Carolina for these great victories. I listened to your concerns about America's future on our sluggish economy or on the defense issues, including the Vietnam War. I proposed an economic plan calling for a reduction of taxes and for the promotion of free enterprise and based on the successful Kennedy tax cuts adopted under my watch as Secretary of Treasury. I proposed a defense plan calling for a stronger military, stronger diplomacy and stronger alliances. People saw this agenda as the best to move America forward and so they came to the polls and delivered us the victories that we earned tonight.

Four years after this historic and disastrous landslide electoral defeat in 1964, our party's supporters have chosen the path to victory because they understand that I am the only candidate who can defeat whoever the Democrats will nominate. So they selected the way of victory instead of the way of provocation, extremism and isolation that cost us the election and brought us to one of the worst electoral results in a presidential election four years ago.

Tonight, we took the delegate lead. Why? Because we are uniting all the wings of the Republican Party, moderates and conservatives. But there is still much work to do. So let's spread our message to Florida and Oregon and we will win across this great country for the sake of a bright, prosperous and safe future for America.

Thank you all. God bless you and God bless America.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »

Turn IX

May 15th-May 28th

Florida and Oregon Primaries

The final stretch of the Primaries has arrived as on May 28th, the states of Florida and Oregon will hold their primaries and the states of Alabama, Alaska, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, and Washington will hold Caucuses to decide who they'll support. For the Republicans, Goldwater is expected to easily sweep the Deep South Caucuses, but Dillion can give him trouble in Texas and Florida, on the East Coast, it's a battle between Dillion and Case as Oregon, Washington, and Alaska could go to any one of them. On the Democratic side, Gore has run dry of possible States to win with just Florida remaining, though with LBJ's help, he could theoretically carry a few more states, meaning Kennedy will have to battle in all the non-southern states to ensure he'll win them.

Republicans after May 14th : Dillion Leads, Goldwater close Second, Case distant last

Despite his biggest hopes, on May 14th, Case was kicked to last Place, a position he hasn't been in since April 2nd, though he has a chance to have a comeback if Alaska, Oregon, and Washington go to him in large numbers, possibly giving around 40 or more Delegates. Dillion is now in a tedious 1st place, only leading Goldwater by 14 Delegates and with the deep south states likely going to him (possibly giving him between 90 and 124 Delegates in the process), Dillion must preform well in order to secure his position as Republican Frontrunner for the future. Goldwater only needs to preform as expected and over preform in a few states to become the frontrunner.

Democrats after May 14th : Kennedy makes final attempt to reach out to Gore; Gore and LBJ refuse

After the primaries on May 14th, Senator made one last desperate appeal to President LBJ for his support and to get Senator Gore to drop out by notifying them both that he would choose John Connally, a former Texas Governor and LBJ friend, for Vice President if they did so. Senator Gore immediately rejected, stating : "I have said time and time again : Senator Kennedy, unless you drop out of the race for a more moderate Candidate that will support an end to the Civil Rights Act, I will not drop out!". President Johnson immediately followed up by saying "Even if John is a friend of mine, this just reeks of desperation on Senator Kennedy's part. The man will do everything he can to destroy my legacy and thus I cannot, in good conscience, support him, especially knowing full well that come the general election, he will lose if nominated." This has left many pundits stumped and now one wonders if the Democratic Party will be able to survive the Primaries to the Convention and even the General or if they're handing the General Election to the Republicans on a silver platter.

Republican Debate in Tallahassee, Florida on May 25th

On May 25th, perhaps one of the last debates will be held in Tallahassee, Florida's Florida State University between the remaining three Republican Candidates with the winner of it hoping to get big wins following an excellent Debate Performance.

Republicans Nationally :

C. Douglas Dillion : 36 %
Barry Goldwater : 32 %
Clifford P. Case : 30 %

With Case now in last, Dillion and Goldwater has taken the lead and now both have began to battle one another for the top position. Despite this, Case can come back following the Debate and go on to win the Primary if he plans his strategy out. Now all eyes are on Dillion, to see if he has what it takes to consolidate his position and go on to win without more than 1 ballot at the Convention.

Democrats Nationally :

Robert F. Kennedy : 58 %
Al Gore : 40 %
Undecided : 2 %

Despite never actually leading in the Primary polls Nationwide, Gore still has a Nationwide lead in Delegate Count, though it is now threatened by Kennedy after Weeks of bitter fighting. However, Gore is unlikely to Drop out due to his hopes that by forcing a brokered convention, the party will choose someone other than Kennedy to be the Nominee and with Kennedy unlikely to back down, many are left questioning, what will end this crisis.

President Johnson Approval Rating

Disapprove : 47 %
Approve : 41 %
Unsure/No Opinion : 12 %

General Election Polls

Dillion v Kennedy v Wallace

C. Douglas Dillion : 47 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 42 %
George Wallace : 6 %
Undecided : 5 %

Dillion v Kennedy

C. Douglas Dillion : 49 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 45 %
Undecided : 6 %

Case v Kennedy v Wallace

Clifford P. Case : 44 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 44 %

Case v Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy : 49 %
Clifford P. Case : 47 %
Undecided : 4 %

Goldwater v Kennedy v Wallace

Robert F. Kennedy : 46 %
Barry Goldwater : 43 %
George Wallace : 7 %

Goldwater v Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy : 51 %
Barry Goldwater : 47 %

Moderator's notes : This turn will last until Saturday afternoon, January 12th, at 3:30 PM Eastern Time. Make sure to PM me ASAP if you need an extension, preferably after you read this sentence. Extensions will be given for the requester and the requester only, not for the field at large, so if you need an extension, PM me.

Debates can be crafted but a Player first have to challenge all his opponents in the Primary and they all have to agree to said Debate and where said Debate will take place. Once the details are hammered out, I will have the Debate ready for the next Turn.

This turn will last from May 15th to the Florida and Oregon Primaries on May 28th. Make sure to schedule your campaign accordingly.

Messaging is key! This turn will be all about strengthening your support and getting enough support to win the Primary, so make sure to write your speeches/schedule accordingly! Speaking of which...

A schedule is required. You can post 20 speeches or no speeches, but what is required for you to post is your schedule. It doesn't have to be detailed, just give me a short description of each day's (or week's) events.

Advertisements: if you poll more than 15% nationally, you may run three advertisements. If you poll between 10% and 15%, you may run two advertisements, and if you poll below 10% but above 5%, then you can run one advertisement! Remember to diversify. Don't rely too much on TV Ads as those had only been around for a few elections, so do some Radio ads as well.

The State Polling and the Republican Debate will all be posted later.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2019, 04:51:53 PM »

State Polls

Republicans :

Florida

Barry Goldwater : 45 %
C. Douglas Dillion : 45 %
Clifford P. Case : 6 %

Oregon

Clifford P. Case : 47 %
C. Douglas Dillion : 43 %
Barry Goldwater : 8 %

Democrats :

Florida

Al Gore : 69 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 25 %

Oregon

Robert F Kennedy : 64 %
Al Gore : 17 %
Undecided : 19 %
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2019, 05:27:22 PM »

Fifth Republican Debate between Senator Case, Former Senator Barry Goldwater, and Former Secretary of Treasury Dillon in at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida on May 25th

Smith : "Welcome each and every viewer to the fifth Republican Presidential Debate between New Jersey Senator Clifford P. Case, Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater, and Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillon of Massachusetts at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida. I'm your moderator Howard K. Smith of CBS News. We ask for all those in the Audience tonight to hold their applause and remain quiet for the Duration of their debate and respect each candidate as they answer. Now, let's start debating."

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Smith : "And that will be the end of this debate. We again want to thank Florida State University for hosting this debate. Thank you and Good Night."
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #229 on: January 08, 2019, 04:33:50 PM »

Goldwater schedule part 1

Goldwater campaigned in Central Florida on free markets and met with voters and had lunch with a group of them also went into Tampa and campaigned on trade with China and keeping Florida as a top producer in Oranges without putting tarrifs
x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2019, 07:17:01 PM »

Senator Case Debate Answers for fifth Republican Debate

"First let me just say that I am very glad to be back on the debate stage and I certainly look forward to a productive debate with the varying ideas and policies of my opponents. We all know that productive debate is one of the great hallmarks of our American way of life and is one of the best ways for candidates to be judged by the American populous at large. Today it is my great hope that I can prove to Americans all over of my devotion and dedication to work for the people and the United States. A special dedication that involves hearing and listening to the people at large who feel ignored by the government and partisan politicians. What Americans want the most out of the next president is not necessarily a conservative or liberal President, rather a President who is open and honest with the people and I believe I have done my very best on that front. Regardless of your views we wish to do great things for all Americans and this country that we all love and cherish so much. Thank you."

"Thank you for asking that question. I am glad you did because this was certainly a question I have asked myself since the last batch of primaries. The fact of the matter is that I still wouldn't be in the race if the support that has grown since the beginning of the primary had completely disappeared. Since I entered the primary the national polls had me at a small 5% and now we stand at 30% and no sign of slowing down despite our performance on May 14th. We even stand at first place in the state of Oregon. It is clear that our campaign is anything but defeated because the support for our campaign has not only continued but has been proven to be as solid as ever despite the odds. Those who wish to push the notion that we are defeated would be sorely mistaken by the thousands of supporters that continue to support the ideas and principles of this campaign. The large base we've built and the strong devotion from our supporters, volunteers, and campaign staff have convinced myself to continue this movement and I certainly hope that it proves to many other Americans to join as well."

"If I may say I am very glad to have the opportunity to answer these questions once more. Its certainly a deep regret that I wasn't able to attend the previous debate. Now then while me and Dillon certainly have our drastic differences and while we have certainly had our scuffles on policy I still commend the fact that Dillon still manages to understand that at the end of the day we're all still Americans. It is extremely easy for anyone to truly become corrupt and demonize others simply for disagreement and again while the differences between myself and Dillon could not be farther apart I am glad he never descended down that path. Of course Dillon's work as apart of JFK's administration and later on to LBJ's after the worst of circumstances are certainly respectable as well. Overall while I certainly have my frustrations with Mr. Dillon his achievements and over all history for this country is not something to be demeaned just as with any other candidate. Regardless of the results of this primary I will respect my opponent out of sportsmanship and unity and I can certainly hope the same is returned to me and everyone else."

"Now then as for Vice Presidents I do in fact have a short list of potential candidates who I would trust to serve the American people alongside with. A Vice President is by far one of the most important parts to a successful administration. While of course these options dwindle down to one these are the top five our campaign and myself have personally vetted as most qualified to serve as V.P."

- Ohio Governor Jim Rhodes
- Kansas Senator James B. Pearson
- Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton
- New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller
- Michigan Governor George Romney

"These potential picks have been considered based on their experience, their principals, and variety of ideals and new solutions that can be beneficial for Americans at large and work with the administration in big ways! My main goal with a Vice President is choosing one who can be a great asset to a Case administration while also offering new things to the table! I believe these are the some of the best picks for those qualities that I would look for in a Vice President!"

"It is clear that the Democrats have certainly become divided. However not only should we seize the moment but we should also learn from it as well. We must ensure that as a party that we don't follow the same path and remain united which is essential for a Republican victory in the ballot across the nation. With that being said I believe that the success for many of these candidates will depend on how we make our case to the public in such a variety of states. That begins by giving our support to these republicans as they campaign in their state and as to why each one is a good fit for that state. If we want to see success with these senate races then we as a party should make an effort to be appealing to as many regions as we can. We should support candidates who can best appeal to the east coast, west coast, rust belt, south, and midland states. With that in mind, while its obvious we hope to win more than seven seats these are the main states that could help tip the scales for Republicans:"

- Florida
- Oregon
- California
- Iowa
- Alaska
- Indiana
- Ohio 

"If we were to win in these states with the right type of candidates and agenda then I am confident that this will only be good news for Republican strength and our appeal to many Americans across the country!"

"For the past few days its has been a pleasure constantly meeting many Americans of all kinds of strides and in the next three days I will continue campaigning and spreading our ideals and our movement to as many states as we can. We know that our campaign continues to have a bevy of potential and support despite the best attempts of our opponents to stop our momentum. We will continue fighting for a better future for farmers, workers, families, and those who continue to struggle under our economy despite the best attempts from previous politicians. We as a nation can change the tides of destiny as we have done so before! With all of that being said our campaign will always welcome new supporters with open arms and we believe that this is a campaign for the people at large!"

"My fellow Americans, this election will surely have great effects for this nation's future. The person that our party shall nominate will not only bare the responsibility of representing our party but also representing the future in which we as a nation should go towards. America is now at a crossroads with how we choose to define ourselves as a people. I only ask of one thing. That those who are watching at home consider what is at stake and vote with the best of intentions. The right to vote is a precious principle of the American way of life and it allows Americans of all strides to push their message for the future. It is my great hope that I can have not just your vote but your trust and confidence as well to serve all of you to the best of my ability. Thank you, god bless you, and god bless the United States of America."
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2019, 09:19:33 PM »

Barry Goldwater debate answers part 1

1.Its great to be here along here with Secretary Dillion and Senator Case to have a nice little debate over policy at hand and hopefully at the end of the night I have your vote and support.

2.Thank you very much and throughout my campaign I have shown myself as a changed man who has evolved from the past and has shown himself to be a electable candidate and that is why I think people like Dillion should stop referring to the 64 election cause those that was the past and this country needs to move on from the past and thankfully I have people that come up to me write letters to my campaign and say you are a changed man and you are now a person I would support in this race and that oh you are the rest guy to lead a conservative revolution.

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2019, 09:33:27 PM »

Kennedy '68

May 18: Kennedy held a cordial meeting with Senator George Smathers in Miami before campaigning through the city with the Senator, touting his support for medicare as well as declaring he would push for universal healthcare as President. Smathers in particular campaigned for Kennedy on the issue of universal healthcare.

May 19-22: Kennedy held a convention strategy meeting with DNC Chair Bailey, Senate Majority Leader Mansfield, Vice President Humphrey and Chicago Mayor Daley and met with Democratic bosses in remaining states, pointing to the fact that he had a far better chance of winning against the Republicans than Gore did, highlighting the failure of an anti-Civil Rights platform in 1964.

May 23-25: THese days were spent campaigning in Oregon, shoring up the liberal vote there. He made several appearances with Senator McCarthy as well, in an attempt to win over his supporters. He also continued to point out Johnson's hypocrisy in supporting a candidate who wanted to undo his flagship legislation.

May 26-28: Kennedy again campaigned in California, banking on a huge win in the state. He hit his usual notes about labor rights, civil rights and so on.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2019, 01:18:04 PM »

Goldwater debate answers part 2

3:Well that was before what Mr Johnson has put us in.  A massive spending debut a war we should of never got in and that is why we don’t need a person like standing next to me that was involed in this running as a Republican. We have it seems of what a Republican is spouse to be someone who fights for low sending and low taxes free markets and free trade.  And as President and the nominee that’s what I plan to bring not someone who is just a Republican in name only and is controlled by special interests and the milltary industrial complex. Someone that is just like the great old President Calvin Coolidge.

4.I will target the senate and congress seats of people who are true warriors of free enterprise and limited goverment  and who actually are fighting for the people of their state. And I think for the people in Florida I think Edward Gurney is that man. He will act against the big goverment and gun control agenda of the Democrats and their leader Mansfield. And like me he has learn from his mistakes and will fight for every single American for them to have great conservative values.

I think Florida is a beautiful state and I can’t imagine the union without it but it has suffered from Democratic control and I think Gurney will bring it back to glory.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »

C. Douglas Dillon's campaign schedule, Part 1

May 14
-Meet with voters in Jacksonville, Florida with Florida Governor Claude Kirk
-Rally with voters at the Gator Bowl Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Economic policy speech in Jacksonville, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Foreign policy speech at Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Trade policy speech at the port of Jacksonville in Jacksonville, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Meet with voters in Tallahassee, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Free trade policy speech in Tallahassee, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Immigration policy speech in Tallahassee, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Speech given by Florida Governor Claude Kirk in Tallahassee, Florida :

-Meet with voters in St. Petersburg, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Anti-segregation policy speech in St. Petersburg, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Agriculture policy speech in St. Petersburg, Florida where Dillon promises to fight to promote tax reform for all American businesses, including Florida's orange producing companies in order to make sure that Florida will keep its status as the top producer of oranges.
-Meet with voters in Tampa, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Foreign policy speech in Tampa, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Civil rights policy speech in Tampa, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Tax cut policy speech in Tampa, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Cuba policy speech in Tampa, Florida with Claude Kirk

May 16 :
-Meet with voters in Sarasota, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Education policy speech in Sarasota, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Immigration policy speech in Sarasota, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Meet with voters in Lakeland, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Meet with voters in Cape Coral, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Meet with voters in Port St. Lucie, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Infrastructure policy speech in Port St. Lucie, Florida with Claude Kirk

May 17 :
-Meet with voters in Fort Lauderdale, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Civil Rights policy speech in Fort Lauderdale, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Trade policy speech in Fort Lauderdale, Florida with Claude Kirk
-National defense policy speech in Fort Lauderdale, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Meet with voters in Miami, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Economic policy speech at the Port of Miami in Miami, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Immigration policy speech in Miami, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Education policy speech in Miami, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Foreign policy speech in Miami, Florida with Claude Kirk
-Rally with voters at the Miami Beach Convention Center in Miami, Florida
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2019, 04:32:10 PM »

Barry Goldwater speaks in Orlando Florida on trade on May 14

It’s great to be here in Orlando Florida. While my opponents are speaking to the politicians I am speaking to you the American people.

We have something called Free Trade in name only what we are in. General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade as of now may do some good things but it is not free trade. Trade until a group with rules is not free trade. There maybe low tarrifs and that is a good thing but we need to do more than that.

As President I will abolish every single existing tarrif and remove ourselves from any trade group and make sure that we can trade with whoever we want and whatever we want.  And I feel that the GAOTT. It restricted us from doing sometimes. Now I am obviously not campaging for protectionism of course I am just saying that subsidies, tariffs and quotas serve to give special treatment to special interests. These measures reduce the understanding among different peoples. We support abolition of trade barriers and government-sponsored export-promotion programs,

I also support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders.

If a person wants to freely trade oranges with Latin or central America then they should without the government getting involved.

I mean trade not war like this can lead to peace.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2019, 05:16:23 PM »

C. Douglas Dillon's campaign schedule, Part 2

May 18
-Meet with voters in Portland, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Economic policy speech in Portland, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Foreign policy speech in Portland, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Civil Rights policy speech in Portland, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Meet with voters in Gresham, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Education policy speech in Gresham, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Trade policy speech in Gresham, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Vietnam War policy speech in Gresham, Oregon with Ronald Reagan

May 19
-Meet with voters in Salem, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Fundraising event in Salem, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Immigration policy speech in Salem, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Agriculture policy speech in Salem, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Tax cut policy speech in Salem, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Small government policy speech in Salem, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Meet with voters in Eugene, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Economic policy speech in Eugene, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Cold War policy speech in Eugene, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Meet with college voters at the University of Oregon in Eurgene, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Meet with voters in Springfield, Oregon with Ronald Reagan

May 20
-Meet with voters in Hillsboro, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Trade policy speech in Hillsboro, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Economic policy speech in Hillsboro, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Anti-segregation policy speech in Hillsboro, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Energy policy speech in Hillsboro, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Infrastructure policy speech in Hillsboro, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Meet with voters in Beaverton, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Free enterprise policy speech at Nike Inc. headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon with Ronald Reagan

May 21
-Meet with voters in Bend, Oregon with Ronald Reagan
-Meet with voters in Medford, Oregon with Ronald Reagan

May 22
-Meet with voters in Houston, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Speech given by former Vice-President Richard Nixon in Houston, Texas

-Meet with voters in Hondo, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in New Braunfels, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in Seguin, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in Schertz, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Small government policy speech in Schertz, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in Austin, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Immigration reform policy speech in Austin, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Energy policy speech in Austin, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Gun rights policy speech in Austin, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Tax cut policy speech in Austin, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Rally with voters at Darrell K Royal–Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with college voters at the University of University of Texas at Austin in Austin, Texas
-Meet with voters in Fort Worth, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Trade policy speech in Fort Worth, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Manufacturing policy speech in Fort Worth, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in Arlington, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Health care policy speech in Arlington, Texas with Richard Nixon

May 24 :
-Meet with voters in Dallas, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Cold War policy speech in Dallas, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Economic policy speech in Dallas, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Anti-segregation policy speech in Dallas, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Energy policy speech in Dallas, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in Denton, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in Terrell, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in Garland, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in Longview, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Constitutional rights policy speech in Longview, Texas
-Free enterprise policy speech in Longview, Texas with Richard Nixon
-National defense policy speech in Longview, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in Plano, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Law and order policy speech in Plano, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Meet with voters in El Paso, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Fundraising event at the Plaza Hotel in El Paso, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Trade policy speech in El Paso, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Immigration policy speech in El Paso, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Oil policy speech in El Paso, Texas with Richard Nixon
-Debate preparations in El Paso, Texas
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2019, 07:27:05 PM »

Goldwater debate questions part 3

4.The south is becoming a great place for agricultural business and like peaches in Georgia and Oranges in Florida and corn in Arkansas.  I want to protect farmers and workers in those eras I want them to be free to do whatever they want and make sure that they can trade with whoever they want with and make sure there are no tarrifs on any of their products or factories.  I don’t think there is a better person to defend free market values than myself in this election. Also no better fighter than for free trade in this election.

5.I wanna thank the people especially Mr Smith at CBS for letting me be here for this wonderful debate and letting myself share my views and what I want for this country.  Amercia is in troubled times but I know how to fix it by using the ways the constitution wants us. Thank you and good night!

x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2019, 07:41:48 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2019, 07:53:50 PM by x-Guy »

Case '68! Campaign Schedule for May 15th- May 28th

May 15th - 18th: Alaska
Senator Clifford Case decides to make his first state to stop by before the next primary voting to be the state of Alaska. Throughout these few days Case has decided to focus campaign resources in this state alongside the states of Oregon and Washington aiming for a sweeping landslide and large accumulation for delegates. During this extensive time period in Alaska Senator Case campaigned throughout the cities of Anchorage, Junea, and Fairbanks aiming for the most populated areas the Senator can find success. Case of course held rallies, town halls, and various speeches on policy while in Alaska. Case also continuously makes as many local appearances as possible among the populous. This will largely be the same type of campaign style deployed in the states of Oregon and Washington.

List of events held by Case while in Alaska:
- Various town halls in cities of Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Junea
- Various pubic meet and greets with primary voters around the cities of Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Junea
- Various Rallies in cities of Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Junea
- Campaign tours around smaller cities such as Wasilla, Ketchikan, and Sitka
-Speech on Foreign Affairs in Anchorage, Alaska

May 19th - 23rd: Washington
In the state of Washington Case is focusing on campaigning as much as possible in an extensive 5 day period. Case plans to increase his presence within the state holding rallies and giving speeches in populated and suburban areas while targeting large cities in the process. Such cities include Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane, Tacoma, and Bellevue. Case's main goal in Washington and Oregon is to make his presence loud and clear and amplify his campaign's ideas whenever possible. Case is also attempting to make a strong populist appeal for the youth vote giving speeches on the current state of the Vietnam war in colleges around the state such as the University of Washington in Seattle. Just like in Alaska, Case is also going through as many tours of various cities within the state as much as possible being joined with Washington's Governor Daniel J. Evans!

List of events held by Case while in Washington:
- Various Campaign rallies with Governor Evans in the cities of Seattle, Vancouver, and Spokane
- Various Town halls in the cities of Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane, and Bellevue
- Various Public meet and greets with voters in the cities of Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane, and Bellevue
- Campaign tours around the cities of Seattle, Vancouver, Spokane, and Bellevue
- Speech on America's economy with Governor Evans in Seattle
- Campus visit to University of Washington and speech on the Vietnam War

May 24th - 28th: Oregon
In the state of Oregon Case is of course hitting the most populated cities while rallying as many of his supporters as possible and expanding his lead against Dillon in polling. The goal for Case is to energize as many of his supporters in the state as possible and to initiate get out the vote efforts. In order to do so Case is using his populist approach and focusing on his popularity within the state through one of his first endorsers being Oregon's Governor Tom McCall and a new endorser being Oregon Senator Mark Hatfield! He will especially be using a populist approach while visiting various colleges around the state of Oregon hoping for a strong turnout among young voters. Case is not only utilizing his edge against Dillon in terms of support from polling but also overall approval from Oregon's politicians. In order to excite the base Case plans to give speeches on policy issues such as the economy, foreign policy, the environment, energy, and future goals specifically where he knows the base can turn out the most.

List of events held by Case while in Oregon:
- Various Campaign rallies with Governor McCall and Senator Hatfield in the cities of Portland, Eugene, Salem, Bend, and Medford
- Various Town halls in the cities of Portland, Eugene, Salem, and Bend
- Various Public meet and greets with voters in the cities of Portland, Eugene, Salem, and Bend
- Campaign tours with Governor McCall & Senator Hatfield around the cities of Bend, Medford, Beaverton, and Portland
- Speech on Energy policy with Governor McCall in Portland
- Speech on Environmental policy with Senator Hatfield in Eugene
- Speech on goals for a Case administration with Governor McCall & Senator Hatfield
- Various Campus visits around the state of Oregon speaking on Vietnam

General Campaign Goals for Case 68! campaign:
- Excite the base of supporters
- GOTV Efforts in all three states
- Strengthen the campaign's appeal to younger primary voters
- Creating an effective presence in these states
- Increase confidence and trust among undecided voters through campaign efforts
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2019, 12:33:57 PM »

C. Douglas Dillon's campaign schedule, Part 3

May 25
-Meet with voters in Tallahassee, Florida
-Debate preparations in Tallahassee, Florida
-Dillon debates with Goldwater and Case at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida

May 26
-Meet with voters in Plant City, Florida
-Economic policy speech in Plant City, Florida
-Education policy speech in Plant City, Florida
-Meet with voters in Temple Terrace, Florida
-Meet with voters in Tampa, Florida
-Free trade policy speech in Tampa, Florida where Dillon promises to ratify free trade agreements with Latin America for sake of America's competitiveness in the world economy

May 27
-Meet with voters in Miami, Florida
-Foreign policy speech in Miami, Florida :

-Immigration policy speech in Miami, Florida
-Economic policy speech in Miami, Florida
-Meet with voters in Miami Beach, Florida
-Trade policy speech in Miami Beach, Florida
-Small government policy speech in Miami Beach, Florida
-Vietnam War policy speech in Miami Beach, Florida
-Civil Rights policy speech in Miami Beach, Florida

May 28
-GOTV efforts in Florida, Oregon, Alabama, Alaska, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, and Washington
-Watch the primary results at Dillon's victory party
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »

What Goldwater did part 2
Goldwater campaigned around Texas,Northern Florida,Georgia,Alabama and Louisiana on agriculture and free trade and in Houston he campaigned on his plans to get a colony on the Moon by 1980 and a man on Mars ASAP by using the wasteful milltary spending in the endless Vietnam War and use it to fun the space program.

He also campaigned on the idea with with unrestricted free trade with South Vietnam and UN support rather than continuing combat operations in the region.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2019, 01:53:34 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2019, 03:07:18 PM by UWS »

Dillon's Debate Answers
Opening Statements : I want to thank the Florida State University for hosting this debate and I want to thank Senator Goldwater and Senator Case for assisting at this debate in order to debate our ideas for America's future. We are at a critical time in which in these times of challenges, too many Americans are ignored. Too many Americans are struggling in poverty and racial inequality. We need a President with all the required experience to fix America. And I have that kind of experience as a former U.S. Ambassador to France, as Secretary of Treasury and as member of the Executive Committee of the National Security Council. That is the best way to counter President Johnson's record of disapointment that Senator Robert Kennedy wants to pursue in the next four years. And that's why I'm asking for your vote to make sure we can turn America around.

To Former Secretary Dillion : "Secretary, First of all, congratulations for winning the Primary in Nebraska and the Caucuses in Kansas, Tennessee, and North Carolina as well as gaining first place in Delegate count for the primary. Now on to the question. In the last debate, you mentioned a 'Southern Strategy' when discussing ways to gain seats in the South and win the Election outright. Many Americans are confused by this and some are using it as a possible slander and saying that you're planning to appeal to the Segregationists and Racists in the South and if that isn't so, others are confused about how you plan to win back the Black Vote, which hasn't gone Republican since the 30s, as many say that African Americans are quite Liberal and you have campaigned as an unapologetic Conservative. Is the Slander true and if it isn't, can you please explain why you think African Americans would vote for you instead of voting for the Liberals like they have for 30 years.

1. My Southern Strategy does not, in any case, include appealing among segregationists and racists in the south. Like I said in the last debate, the south is a pretty conservative region that wants less taxes and regulations, less government, more economic freedom and more free enterprise. And yet Governor George Wallace drastically increased property taxes in Alabama which diminished the people of Alabama's purchasing power, increased the size of government there, diminished free enterprise and killed jobs. But as Secretary of Treasury, I cut taxes along with President Kennedy and I intend to do it again as President of the United States because unlike Governor Wallace, Senator Kennedy and President Johnson, I know that America is properous not because of government but because of the ingenuity, hardworking and entrepreneurship of the American people. Governor Wallace trusts the government but I trust the American people.

When it comes to winning the black vote, I rather meant increasing our performance among African-Americans. Even though they voted Democrat for 30 years, like you said, we can improve our performance among them. As you know, during the 1960 presidential election, Richard Nixon, who recently endorsed me, won 32 % of the African-American vote by promising to grant the right to vote for all African-Americans around the country. We can win among them by defending the cause which they are fighting for, by promoting all the progress made by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which is exactly the contrast of what Senator Golwater did. And also, one of the reasons why African-Americans are struggling is because of the fiscal burden imposed to them by the Johnson Administration that promotes big government instead of freedom. Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. So if we cut taxes for all Americans, including African-Americans, we can give them a fair chance to prosper, to live the American Dream and to accomplish everything the generations preceding them couldn't have. And one of the reasons why black voters voted Democrat for a very long time is because Senator Goldwater opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 even though this law outlaws discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin and prohibits unequal application of voter registration requirements, racial segregation in schools, employment, and public accommodations. So Goldwater's opposition to the Civil Rights of 1964 cost us several votes among moderate/independent voters and among ethnic minority voters, including African-Americans, and cost us states such as Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, New York, Ohio, Illinois, California, etc. No wonder that members of the Ku Klux Klan have publicly supported Senator Goldwater's 1964 presidential campaign. And that is one of the main reasons why we lost the 1964 presidential election in a landslide.

That's why I should be the nominee because I am the best candidate on this stage to bring the American people together and that is how we are going to win this election and bring America in the right direction.

To Former Secretary Dillion : "Secretary, many Liberal Republicans like Jacob K. Javits, the Senator from New York, are quite angered about your unabashed Conservatism and has threatened to form a new party for the Liberal Republicans, or join the Democrats, if you are to get the Nomination. How do you make sure that the Republican party doesn't splinter apart?

2. Well first of all, I worked in the Kennedy Administration as Secretary of Treasury. I've been endorsed by California Governor Ronald Reagan who was once a Democrat before becoming a Republican. I am from a New England state and I know what it takes to appeal among moderate voters there. When it comes to education, I believe that we should not fund students leaving public schools. We need to encourage the integration in public schools. Federal troops should only be used as a last resort. So I believe that we need more funding for public schools in order to make every student across this country, including those studying in Harvard University, where access to education is the most expansive here in America, can have a fair chance to succeed, to find a decent career and to enter workforce and to find a good-paying job. With regards to death penalty, I think it's an issue that should be left to individual states and the Government should only bring it up for Federal cases. For abortion, I think it should be legal only in case of rape, incest and when the life of the mother is in danger. That's also why, in order to keep moderate and liberal Republicans in our column, I'm considering selecting people like Senator Edward Brooke or Governor George Romney as my running mate. I think that Senator Javits would rather be more likely to form a new party for the Liberal Republicans or join the Democrats if Senator Goldwater is the nominee due to his opposition to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and also due to Goldwater's suggestion that nuclear weapons should be used in Vietnam and also advocated that field commanders in Vietnam should be given the authority to use tactical nuclear weapons even without presidential confirmation, which would have triggered a nuclear war, or worse World War III. That's why we need a reasonable and bi-partisan presidential candidate who will be able to bring the American people together and to put partisanship aside in order to get things done.

To All Candidates : "As you can see, the Democratic Party is tearing itself apart due to President Johnson and Senator Gore's complete refusal to compromise with Senator Kennedy and thus, this has allowed enthusiasm amongst Democrats to lower and has allowed the Republicans to gain in the ballot, with several key Senate Races, like in Florida, where Senator Smathers is retiring. What Senate seats will you target the most in the general and how will you ensure their victory down-ballot even if you lose the Election?

4. As the Republican nominee, one of the main senate seats I will target the most will be Alaska where the Democratic vote is now divided between Mike Gravel, the local Democratic senate nominee, and Ernest Gruening, a write-in Democratic candidate, which can give our Republican senate candidate Elmer E. Rasmuson a very decent chance to win. I will also target California, a very crucial battleground state. Among the seats I will focus the most on there will be Connecticut and Florida, where we have a very qualified candidate in Edward J. Gurney who proudly and patriotically served in the U.S. military during World War II. As a senator, he will fight for our veterans and he knows that America's security requires a strong military. I will also work hard to defend Senator Dirksen's senate seat in Illinois, to help William Ruckelshaus to defeat Birch Bayh in Indiana and to keep Senator Bourke Hickenlooper's seat with David M. Stanley in Iowa. We also have very strong candidates in Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon and Pennsylvania so I will also focus on these senate seats if I'm the Republican nominee. That way, we'll make it clear that the American people gave the Republican Party a mandate to fix America through tax reform, a strong military and the defense of civil rights and that's how we're going to win this election even if we don't get to 270 electoral votes even though I also work hard to get to that threshold.

To All Candidates : "In three days, the States of Florida and Oregon will hold their primaries and the states of Alabama, Alaska, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Texas will hold Caucus. As such, this is your last chance to the citizens of these states. Explain why they should support you and not one of your opponents.

5. Well, as you know, 6 years ago, Florida was on the frontline of the Cuban missile crisis that almost triggered a nuclear war between the United States and the Soviet Union. I made contributions in preventing such a nuclear conflict as a member of the Executive Committee of the National Security Council and I know that keeping America safe and getting to victory against the Soviet Union in the Cold War requires a strong military, strong alliances and strong American leadership. And yet, both Senator Goldwater and Senator Case want to aweaken our military, which will give the advantage to the Soviet Union and allow them to use continents like Asia as a base to launch military attacks against the United States. And Senator Goldwater also have further proven to have a flawed foreign policy judgement by suggesting the use of tactical nuclear weapons in Vietnam even without presidential confirmation. So as long as our military is strong, we won't have to fight the Soviets here at home and I have all the required foreign policy experience and knowledge to keep us safe and to get us to victory against the Soviets.

Southern states voting in three days, including Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and South Carolina are inhabited by a huge population of African-Americans who are suffering centuries of struggle, injustice, inequality, segregation, mistreatment, exploitation and poverty and yet Senator Goldwater voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that improved their living conditions. I know that there is more to be done and that's why I supported these life-changing laws from the very beginning and I will fight to make sure that Martin Luther King's fight for the advancement of civil rights will not be in vain.

Closing Statements : Thank you Florida State University for this wonderful hospitality and thank you Senator Goldwater and Senator Case for being here tonight. All the states voting in three days will play a very important role in selecting the next President, both in the primary and in the general election. That's why I will fight for every single vote, for every single American, whether you are white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Christian, Protestant, Jewish, etc. Because every single American needs to be heard in this democratic process because that is how democracy works, it grants the power to all the people. That's why I will work to make this democracy working for all Americans and I'm running to be a President for all our fellow citizens. I have already proven my ability to work with both Republicans and Democrats with my experience as President Kennedy's Secretary of Treasury. I will work hard to bring both parties together in order to get things done. And that's why I ask for your vote because if you do, we will finally move America forward.

Thank you.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »

May 28th Primaries

Cronkite : "Greeting ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to the coverage of the 1968 Presidential May 28th Primaries for both Political Parties, as well as the coverage of the Caucuses in Alabama, Alaska, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, and Washington that will decide who gets the Delegates from those states. On the Republican Side, former Secretary of Treasury Dillon desperately battles Former Senator Goldwater to remain as the front runner in Delegate Count while Senator Case battles to regain his lost momentum and catch up to his two main opponents. On the Democratic Side, Senator Gore's days of having the first place in the Delegate Count will possibly come to an end as Senator Kennedy will have an easy time winning in Washington and Oregon and will only have a struggle in Alaska, while Senator Gore is expected to only win Florida handedly. It's 7 PM in the East and for the Republicans, Senator Goldwater has a slim lead over Former Secretary Dillion in Florida. Meanwhile, we can make an early projection that Senator Gore will win the state for the Democrats."

Florida Republican Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Barry Goldwater : 43.6 %
C. Douglas Dillion : 39.2 %
Clifford P. Case : 17.1 %

Florida Democratic Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Al Gore - 74 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 26 %

Tennessee Senator Al Gore wins Florida Democratic Presidential Primary (wins 64 Delegates so far)

8:12 PM EST

Cronkite : "42 Minutes since the polls closed in Florida and they are counting the vote quickly there as Former Secretary Dillion takes the lead with 34 % of the vote as he now has 44.2 % to Goldwater's 38.5 %. Looks to be a good time for the former Treasury Secretary."

Florida Republican Presidential Primary - 34 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillion : 44.2 %
Barry Goldwater : 38.5 %
Clifford P. Case : 17.2 %

8 : 46 PM EST

Cronkite : "34 Minutes from them and now 76 % of the vote is in and Former Senator Goldwater now slimly leads Former Secretary Dillion by 1.3 %. A close night for the Republicans."

Florida Republican Presidential Primary - 76 % Reporting

Barry Goldwater : 41.2 %
C. Douglas Dillion : 39.9 %
Clifford P. Case : 18.8 %

9 : 23 PM EST

Cronkite : "And 37 Minutes after our last report on this and we can now make a major projection. With 97 % of the vote in, Former Treasury Secretary Dillion will win the State of Florida by 2.6 % with 45.6 % of the vote to Goldwater's 43.0 % and Case's 11.3 %. This was probably due to Governor Kirk's endorsement of the Former Secretary, as well as former Vice President Nixon campaigning with him, and his promise to send men to Mars by 1980. Dillion will take home 22 Delegates and Goldwater will take home 12. Since it'll be a while since the polls in Oregon closes, we can also report on the Caucuses. As expected, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Louisiana, and South Carolina went to Former Senator Goldwater but the state of Texas will go to Former Secretary Dillion. Let's break down the Delegate totals for each candidate from these states. In Alabama, Goldwater brings home 16 Delegates and Dillion takes home 6. In Georgia, Goldwater takes home 19 Delegates and Dillion takes 11. In Louisiana, Goldwater takes home 16 Delegates and Dillion takes home 10. In Mississippi, Goldwater takes all 20 Delegates since it's a winner take-all state. In South Carolina, Goldwater also takes home another 22 Delegates from a winner take-all state. Finally in Texas, Dillion has won 32 Delegates and Goldwater has won 14. Adding together, Dillion right now has won 81 Delegates so far tonight and now has 295 Delegates overall and Goldwater right now has won 119 Delegates and will have 319 Delegates overall tonight, thus making him the Delegate leader by 24 Delegates. This could change over the course of the night depending on how well Dillion performs in Alaska, Oregon, and Washington. Stay tuned for the poll closings of Oregon at 11."

Florida Republican Presidential Primary - 97 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillion : 45.6 %
Barry Goldwater : 43.0 %
Clifford P. Case : 11.3 %

Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillion wins Florida Republican Presidential Primary and Texas Caucuses (wins 81 Delegates so far)

Former Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater wins Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina Republican Caucuses (wins 119 Delegates so far)

11 PM EST

Cronkite : "Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. The polls have closed in Oregon and we are now expecting huge turnout as Senator Kennedy wins Oregon and it's 36 Delegates handedly as well as the state of Washington, where he will carry 44 Delegates. A big win for Kennedy that hands him the Delegate leads after several months of being behind in the the Delegate Count. For the Republicans, Senator Case leads Secretary Dillion by 11.2 %. It'll get closer as the night goes on, however."

Oregon Democratic Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Robert F. Kennedy : 85 %
Al Gore - 14 %

Oregon Republican Presidential Primary - 1 % Reporting

Clifford P. Case : 45.9 %
C. Douglas Dillion : 34.7 %
Barry Goldwater : 19.3 %

New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy wins Oregon Democratic Presidential Primary and Washington Democratic Presidential Caucuses (Wins 84 Delegates so far)

11: 37 PM EST

Cronkite : "37 Minutes after the polls close and with 19 % of the vote in, Former Secretary Dillion has taken the lead by 3.5 % and is struggling to hold his lead against Senator Case. Close night completely for the Republicans. Expect this to continue as more votes come in."

Oregon Republican Presidential Primary - 19 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillion : 47.8 %
Clifford P. Case : 44.3 %
Barry Goldwater : 7.8 %

12 : 02 AM EST

Cronkite : "At 12:02 AM eastern, Senator Case has retaken the lead and now leads Former Secretary Dillion by 8.2 % with 53 % of the vote in. A great night for Senator Case thus far in this state and it looked like it could get better for him as the night goes on."

Oregon Republican Presidential Primary - 53 % Reporting

Clifford P. Case : 46.3 %
C. Douglas Dillion : 38.1 %
Barry Goldwater : 15.6 %

12 : 35 AM EST

Cronkite : "It's now 33 minutes following the last report on the Oregon Republican Primary and Secretary Dillion has taken a lead of 2.9 % over Case with 77 %. Many fingernails are probably being bitten due to how close it is."

Oregon Republican Presidential Primary - 77 % Reporting

C. Douglas Dillion : 42.6 %
Clifford P. Case : 39.7 %
Barry Goldwater : 17.6 %

1 AM EST

Cronkite : "It's now 1 AM in the East and we can declare with certainty that Senator Kennedy will win the Alaska Democratic caucuses and will take 16 Delegates home from that state. We can also declare that Senator Case will win the Republican Primary in Oregon and the Republican Caucus in Washington while Dillion will win the Republican Caucus in Alaska. Case will carry all 18 Delegates from Oregon, 17 Delegates from Washington and 4 Delegates from Alaska while Dillion will win 7 Delegates from Washington and 8 Delegates from Alaska. Case comes home with 39 Delegates, Goldwater 119 Delegates, and Dillion wins 96 Delegates tonight. This ends tonight with Goldwater having the Delegate Lead with 319 Delegates, 310 Delegates for Dillion, and 164 Delegates for Case in the Republican field. Thus, Senator Case is left in the dust as perhaps the Primaries and caucuses on June 4th will determine his fate in the primary. Senator Kennedy will come home with 100 Delegates while Senator Gore will come home with 76 Delegates for the Democrats. Kennedy now has 839 Delegates to Gore's 838 Delegates, thus giving Senator Kennedy a bare lead in the Delegate count for the Democrats, just like Former Senator Goldwater, who has the lead of 9 Delegates for the Republicans. Thank you for watching and we hope you tune in on June 4th to watch the coverage of the California, New Jersey, and South Dakota Primaries and Arizona, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming Caucuses. Good night."

Oregon Republican Presidential Primary - 100 % Reporting

Clifford P. Case : 47.5 %
C. Douglas Dillion : 40.9 %
Barry Goldwater : 11.6 %

New Jersey Senator Clifford P. Case wins Republican Oregon Presidential Primary and the Washington Republican Caucuses (Wins 39 Delegates tonight)

Former Treasury Secretary C. Douglas Dillion of Massachusetts (Wins 96 Delegates so far)

New York Senator Robert F. Kennedy wins Alaska Democratic Caucuses (Wins 100 Delegates so far)

Presidential Primaries so Far, 1968

Republicans :

Former Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona - 319 Delegates
Former Secretary of Treasury C. Douglas Dillon of Massachusetts - 310 Delegates
Senator Clifford P. Case of New Jersey - 164 Delegates
Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine - 44 Delegates
Former Governor William Scranton of Pennsylvania - 16 Delegates
Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee - 12 Delegates

667 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
1333 Delegates in Total

Democrats :

Senator Robert F. Kennedy of New York - 839 Delegates
Senator Al Gore of Tennessee - 838 Delegates
Representative Patsy Mink of Hawaii - 21 Delegates
Vice President Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota - 9 Delegates
Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota - 5 Delegates

1304 Delegates (a Majority) to be Nominated
2607 Delegates in Total
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2019, 03:47:43 PM »

Goldwater campaign update
In respect of fair democracy the campaign of Barry Goldwater calls for a recount in Florida.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2019, 05:39:01 PM »

Dillon's Victory Speech in Miami, Florida

Thank you so very much! Thank you Florida, Texas and Alaska for these exciting and strong victories that will propel us to the nomination. You selected the way of change and leadership and I am thankful of your choice.

We are in half of the road to the nomination. California, here we come!

Thank you. God bless you and God bless America!
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2019, 11:08:13 AM »

Turn X

May 29th-June 4th

California, New Jersey, and South Dakota Primaries

With now only 4 state primaries left until the Conventions, all candidates have began to really ramp up their messaging in the hope to win the Nomination outright before the convention. On the Republican Side, Dillion now trails Goldwater by 9 Delegates in the Delegate Count and on the Democratic Side, Kennedy now leads Senator Gore by a single Delegate. The Primaries in California, New Jersey, and South Dakota and the Caucuses in Arizona, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming on June 4th is the last opportunity for an outright victory as the Republicans will have 344 Delegates up for Grabs, meaning the winner of the majority of delegates will be just short of the number needed for the outright nomination at the convention for their party. On the Democratic side, there will be 676 available to be won, meaning the candidate to win the outright majority of Delegates will allow either of them to gain the nomination due to only 465 Delegates being needed to give Kennedy the Nomination and 466 Delegates needed to give Gore the Nomination. On the Republican side, while most focus will be on California, a sore spot has opened up in New Jersey as Clifford Case trails Former Secretary Dillion in his home state by 2 %, meaning he will really have to ramp up his focus in the state to win it, diverting crucial resources from other Delegate rich states to keep his home state. On the Democratic Side, Kennedy is easily expected to win California, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Hawaii, New Jersey, his home state of New York, and Nevada, so the real battleground is the remaining plains states, like South Dakota, where Senator Gore leads Senator Kennedy by 12 %. A real battle has begun and there is only 5 days for the winner to be truly decided.

President Johnson : 'I will run as a Fourth Party', will run for re-election as an Independent if Kennedy gets Democratic Nomination and either Goldwater or Dillion gets the Republican Nomination

In a public address to America on June 28th, just before the first polls closed in Florida, President Johnson formally decreed that if Senator Kennedy was to get the Democratic Nomination and  his opponent 4 years prior and former Senator Goldwater or Former Secretary Dillion were to get the Republican Nomination, he would run as an Independent, stating "The candidates that are likely to get the nomination of both parties simply don't care for the American People and only pretend to do so for their votes to win. If they get the Nominations, then I will run as a fourth party, though until then, I will keep my potential vice president a secret." When asked if he would choose Vice President Humphrey, Johnson said "He's fallen for the cult of Kennedy that I am not so easily swayed by. Thus, I feel like he has been compromised and will no longer be the best choice for Vice President in my possible run for a second term." Senator Kennedy is expected to make a public address on the issue relatively soon and in the meantime, Gallup has done four flash polls with President Johnson taken into account.

GALLUP FLASH POLL

Dillion v Kennedy v Wallace v Johnson

C. Douglas Dillion : 42 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 36 %
Lyndon B. Johnson* : 16 %
George Wallace : 4 %

Goldwater v Kennedy v Wallace v Johnson

Robert F. Kennedy : 39 %
Barry Goldwater : 36 %
Lyndon B. Johnson* : 20 %
George Wallace : 3 %

Dillion v Kennedy v Johnson

C. Douglas Dillion : 46 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 42 %
Lyndon B. Johnson* : 10 %

Goldwater v Kennedy v Johnson

Robert F. Kennedy : 35 %
Barry Goldwater : 34 %
Lyndon B. Johnson* : 27 %
Undecided : 3 %

Some advisors have gone on to say that he's running simply because of how much he despises Kennedy and his Megalomania is too oppressive for him to overcome. Whatever the case, this will certainly cause a ripple effect for the rest of the election if it pans out.

Chief Justice Warren to retire in 1969 upon nomination of successor

On June 2nd, Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court Earl Warren has given President Johnson his letter of resignation and has stated that he will retire upon the successful nomination of his successor to the court. The Chief Justice has stated that the reason he is doing so is that he has served for the best he could for the past 16 years and doesn't want to suffer from mental degradation on the court like some of his colleagues. This announcement will likely be a huge shock and will be another key issue to be described in the Primaries and General Election at length over the next few months.

Republicans after May 28th : Dillion and Goldwater now the frontrunners; Case's last chance

His victories in Washington and Oregon haven't helped Senator Case as much as he'd like as now he is behind Dillion and Goldwater and is now behind in his home state, which will hold a Primary on June 4th, as Goldwater's home state of Arizona will hold its own caucus that he will likely win easily on the same day. Dillion, the Frontrunner for only 2 weeks in Delegate Count, is now behind Former Senator Goldwater by 9 Delegates. Now, the biggest opportune moment is open for either one of them to be only a few Delegates away from getting the Nomination.

Democrats after May 28th : Kennedy once more in the Lead; Gore's Last stand

Following an impressive night for Senator Kennedy, he now leads Senator Gore by 1 Delegate, a bare lead that could easily improve on June 4th due to all the states friendly to him on June 4th holding Primaries and Caucuses. For Senator Gore, he is now realized that this is his last chance to stop the outright nomination of Senator Kennedy at the Convention by winning the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho and thus take away a good number of Delegates from Kennedy's final total on the Nomination floor at the convention. With only 4 primaries left, the question is whether Kennedy can outright win the Nomination before the Convention or if it will be brokered.

Republicans Nationally :

C. Douglas Dillion : 41 %
Barry Goldwater : 36 %
Clifford P. Case : 22 %
Undecided : 1 %

Dillion now holds a shock 5 point lead over Former Senator Goldwater while Senator Case trails him by 19 % and trails Goldwater by 14 % while only 1 % of undecideds remaining, which means Case will need to fight harder than he has ever had before in order to have a fighting chance at the convention. Meanwhile, Goldwater and Dillion must now battle for the ultimate prize of the Nomination and go on to face the Democrat in November.

Democrats Nationally :

Robert F. Kennedy : 62 %
Al Gore : 37 %
Undecided : 1 %

Senator Kennedy can now see the Nomination within his grasp and the same could be said for Senator Gore as both only need 465 or 466 Delegates to get it. With the race having its ups and downs, many expect for a significant battle to take place over the next five days as the two battle it out to win the Nomination here and now.

President Johnson Approval Rating

Disapprove : 45 %
Approve : 41 %
Unsure/No Opinion : 124 %

General Election Polls

Dillion v Kennedy v Wallace

C. Douglas Dillion : 49 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 46 %
George Wallace : 3 %

Dillion v Kennedy

C. Douglas Dillion : 50 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 47 %
Undecided : 3 %

Case v Kennedy v Wallace

Clifford P. Case : 46 %
George Wallace : 7 %

Case v Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy : 48 %
Clifford P. Case : 48 %

Goldwater v Kennedy v Wallace

Barry Goldwater : 45 %

Goldwater v Kennedy

Robert F. Kennedy : 49 %
Barry Goldwater : 47 %

Moderator's notes Sad This turn will last until Friday afternoon, January 18th, at 3:30 PM Eastern Time. Make sure to PM me ASAP if you need an extension, preferably after you read this sentence. Extensions will be given for the requester and the requester only, not for the field at large, so if you need an extension, PM me.

Debates can be crafted but a Player first have to challenge all his opponents in the Primary and they all have to agree to said Debate and where said Debate will take place. Once the details are hammered out, I will have the Debate ready for the next Turn.

This turn will last from May 29th to the California, New Jersey, and South Dakota Primaries on June 4th. Make sure to schedule your campaign accordingly.

Messaging is key! This turn will be all about strengthening your support and getting enough support to win the Primary, so make sure to write your speeches/schedule accordingly! Speaking of which...

A schedule is required. You can post 20 speeches or no speeches, but what is required for you to post is your schedule. It doesn't have to be detailed, just give me a short description of each day's (or week's) events.

Advertisements: if you poll more than 15% nationally, you may run three advertisements. If you poll between 10% and 15%, you may run two advertisements, and if you poll below 10% but above 5%, then you can run one advertisement! Remember to diversify. Don't rely too much on TV Ads as those had only been around for a few elections, so do some Radio ads as well.

The State Polling will be posted later.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2019, 11:14:30 AM »

State Polls :

Republicans :

California

C. Douglas Dillion - 45 %
Clifford P. Case - 32 %
Barry Goldwater - 20 %
Undecided - 3 %

New Jersey

C. Douglas Dillion - 47 %
Clifford P. Case - 45 %
Barry Goldwater - 7 %
Undecided - 1 %

South Dakota

Barry Goldwater - 45 %
C. Douglas Dillion - 43 %
Clifford P. Case - 10 %
Undecided - 2 %

Democrats :

California

Robert F. Kennedy : 74 %
Al Gore - 25 %
Undecided - 1 %

New Jersey

Robert F. Kennedy : 84 %
Al Gore - 13 %
Undecided - 3 %

South Dakota

Al Gore - 55 %
Robert F. Kennedy : 43 %
Undecided - 2 %
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2019, 12:12:18 PM »

Goldwater campaign ad that’s airs all across the nation

Voiceover:Why is Barry Goldwater’s tax plan is the best?
It’s because every middle class family  and every middle class company gets a big tax cut.

Goldwater’s tax cut will reduce taxes on middle and lower class households by 20% and on small businesses and the corporate tax by 25%

He also will give all small businesses at a tax credit and get rid of all existing taxes made by the Johnson Administration.

Economists like Milton Friedman and Frank Knight agree that Goldwater’s tax plan will lead to long term growth.

Want this to happen? Then go to the polls and vote for Goldwater for a Golden Amercia.

Im Barry Goldwater and I approve this message
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2019, 04:13:10 PM »

An Open Letter to President Lyndon B. Johnson

Mr President,

I am usually fairly slow to anger. I served loyally as your Attorney-General, and we did wonders for Civil Rights in this country. In the Senate, I have served as a defender of labor rights and the civil rights legislation you fought tooth and nail to pass against oppositions from Senator Gore and other southern Democrats.

My campaign has been run in a fairly standard manner. Your responses however, have not been.

You endorsed a man who seeks to overturn your legacy; the very legislation that you were prepared to kill your career for. Your threat to run as a new candidate will only hand the election to the Republicans who will overturn your Great Society.

I ask one final time to not let your personal hatred of me outweigh your commitment to building a legacy of a champion of civil rights.

If this does not suit you, then I will simply point to the fact that you have no commitment to your legacy at all. You sought to throw the nomination to Senator Gore who wants the Civil Rights Act and Voting Rights Act overturned. Your potential campaign as an independent will only serve to hand the election to the Republicans on a silver platter, them they will set about overturning your Great Society.

I have the honour to be your obedient servant, Robert F Kennedy.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2019, 09:21:27 PM »

Connally splits with Johnson! Endorses Kennedy!

Once firm allies, Gov. Connally and Pres. Johnson have now drawn battle lines against each other.

In a stunning interview during the week, Texas Governor John Connally announced that he was endorsing Robert Kennedy for President in a perceived rebuke to his close friend and ally.

"Yeah, I'm a friend of Lyndon, but friends shouldn't tell lies to each other. I'm greatly disturbed at his willingness to sell the legislation that he fought tooth and nail and nearly killed his career for down the river just because of a personal vendetta."

He also declared his support for Kennedy's education plan. Connally's main issue in Texas has been education, particularly higher education.

"Bobby understands that education is a key front in our battle not just with communism, but also in ensuring that American businesses remain in America. I'm proud to support him on that alone, as his plan for ease of access to higher education is beyond needed in this day and age. As far as our views on civil rights are, I have come to see that protection civil rights for Negroes is the right thing to do. I'm ashamed it took me this long to come around.

So yes, I am supporting Bobby Kennedy for President.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies