The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 07:35:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 2  (Read 220951 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: December 21, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »

Vanity Fair has a lengthy profile of Steve Bannon, including the news that he might run for president in 2020 if Trump drops out of the race:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/12/bannon-for-president-trump-kushner-ivanka

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Jesus no
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #426 on: December 21, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »

Vanity Fair has a lengthy profile of Steve Bannon, including the news that he might run for president in 2020 if Trump drops out of the race:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/12/bannon-for-president-trump-kushner-ivanka

What a MESS
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #427 on: December 21, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »

Bannon-world now pushing back against the news that Bannon has privately floated the idea of running for prez in 2020:

http://www.newsweek.com/steve-bannon-not-running-president-2020-trump-756264

Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #428 on: December 21, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »

Bannon-world now pushing back against the news that Bannon has privately floated the idea of running for prez in 2020:

Messssss
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #429 on: December 22, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »

LOL at the delusion.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #430 on: December 22, 2017, 07:07:23 PM »

Jesus no
Bannon would lose in a landslide, so.... Jesus yes!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #431 on: December 22, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2017, 08:44:55 PM by NOVA Green »

Jesus no
Bannon would lose in a landslide, so.... Jesus yes!

So way back in late '15 when Trump's was starting to look like he might have a chance as a contender for the Republican Presidential nomination, I told my wife, this is likely the start of the "Republican Civil War".

As Trump's forces advanced through the South, after vanquishing his key rivals, the pushback grew, but still the Country Club Republicans and business classes couldn't stop his advance.

The establishment resistance becomes more vocal, but they realize their fate is sealed, and that their "base voters" have spoken.

Suddenly Access Hollywood hits, and 'Pub pols panic, realizing they might lose the election by 10%... Additional 'Pubs speak out against Trump, making their names onto his "enemies list" or those Republicans to potentially be "purged" from the Party.

Things change dramatically in the Fall, the Pres election race tightens up, and while HRC is busy regurgitating what most Americans already realize about Trump's moral character and attitudes, he's consistently pressing an isolationist economic protectionist and anti-interventionist message.

Major segments of the Democratic base stay home or defect to 3rd Party candidates in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania, because of a combination of of believing these states were safe Democrat as well as underestimation of the anger of many Obama 1x/2x voters that voted W. at least once in '00/'04 that didn't feel that their personal economic situation had improved after Obama, despite recognizing the massive wreckage originated from George W. Bush policies.

Trump wins, but the Republican Civil War is not over.... now it slips into the terrain of Guerrilla Warfare. They own the House and Senate, now how can we bring Trump to heel?

Still hasn't happened yet, but by kissing the ring of Caesar (Trump), they are for better or worse wedded to him and his political fortunes in the eyes of the voters.

The Republican Civil War still has continued under the Trump Reign, as the Purges have caused various Republican Senators from Flake to Coorker to resignation, not to mention the shocking number of House Republicans retiring rather than risk losing reelection in 2018.

The Bannon/Trump element of the Republican Civil War is perhaps a skirmish somewhat akin to a potential "Night of the Long Knives" scenario, now that apparently the Trumpista element of the Party has cowed and intimated dissident wings into submission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Long_Knives

I for one would welcome a Steve Bannon run for President of the United States under a Republican Party ticket.

Not that I'm at all a fan of the guy, but what he can and would likely call out is the hypocrisy of Trump backing all of these sell out Tax Cuts for the Rich and Multinational Corporations, while the rest of us get the shaft.

Trump basically screwed his own base over with this pile of elephant dung, and looks just as much like a corporate whore as any other Republican out there these days as a result.

Honestly, looking at the Alabama precinct results, I'm wondering to what extent this Give-to-the-Rich Tax bill, played a factor in low Republican turnout in Alabama, especially among older White voters in the State....

So, here's a song: "English Civil War" based upon an old historical English folk anthem, where for the past two years I mentally switch the lyrics from "English" to "Republican"...

I encourage all of you to buy not only the song, but also the various album's from the Band, as I own just about every Clash album on either cassette or CD format.

You too can be sitting there at work listing to the soundtrack of "English Civil War" on your smartphone, and just substituting mentally "Republican" for "English"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJiiwulcTe4

Lyrics:

When Johnny comes
Marching home again
He's coming by bus or underground
A woman's eye will shed a tear
To see his face so beaten in fear
An' it was just around the corner in the English civil war

It was still at the stage of clubs and fists
When that well-known face got beaten to bits
Your face was blue in the light of the screen
As we watched the speech of an animal scream
The new party army was marching right over our heads

Alright

There you are, ha ha, I told you so
Says everybody that we know
But who hid a radio under the stairs
An' who got caught out on their unawares?
When that new party army came marching right up the stairs

When johnny comes marching home again
Nobody understands it can happen again
The sun is shining an' the kids are shouting loud
But you gotta know it's shining through a crack in the cloud
And the shadows keep falling when Johnny comes marching home

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #432 on: December 22, 2017, 11:59:22 PM »

Sunday morning talk show watch: This Sunday, Bernie Sanders will be on State of the Union and Jeff Flake will be on This Week:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NEWS_SHOWS?SITE=AP
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #433 on: December 23, 2017, 09:43:17 AM »

Garcetti on 2020: “I am thinking about this”:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-los-angeles-mayor-eric-garcetti-says-he-1513983870-htmlstory.html

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #434 on: December 23, 2017, 03:49:26 PM »

Booker praised for his marijuana legalization effort here:

http://www.freedomleaf.com/the-importance-of-cory-booker/

which I only bothered to mention because it includes this terrifying animated GIF:

Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #435 on: December 23, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »

which I only bothered to mention because it includes this terrifying animated GIF:

Booker should sue over that horrifying gif
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #436 on: December 24, 2017, 12:02:52 PM »

Jeff Flake on whether he'll run for president in 2020:

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/366369-flake-not-ruling-out-presidential-bid

TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #437 on: December 24, 2017, 01:43:55 PM »

Eh, he has nothing to lose, so I don't see why he wouldn't either challenge Trump in the primary or run as an indy in the general.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #438 on: December 24, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »

Eh, he has nothing to lose, so I don't see why he wouldn't either challenge Trump in the primary or run as an indy in the general.

you think we'll see more than one challenger to Trump in the primary? Meaning potentially Kasich, Flake, Corker, and whoever else might want to.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #439 on: December 24, 2017, 02:26:10 PM »

you think we'll see more than one challenger to Trump in the primary? Meaning potentially Kasich, Flake, Corker, and whoever else might want to.
Potentially, but if that's the case, they're all going to get 4-5% each and just split the anti-Trump vote, easily allowing him to win.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #440 on: December 24, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »

Potentially, but if that's the case, they're all going to get 4-5% each and just split the anti-Trump vote, easily allowing him to win.

Yeah, once one person announces that they're running against Trump, the rest might decide that it's not worth it, as they're just going to split the anti-Trump vote even further.

And I'm skeptical of either Corker or Flake deciding to go through with it whether there's someone else in the race or not.  After Kasich, maybe the next most likely to run against Trump are Amash and Cuban.  Not that either of them are more than about 20% likely to run, but no one other than Kasich is individually more than 20% likely to run against Trump for the nomination, IMHO.
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #441 on: December 24, 2017, 07:34:51 PM »

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/ohio-congressman-could-run-for-president-2020/sIRXsueKkRNItLmWHqudmI/

Found another tidbit on Tim Ryan
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #442 on: December 25, 2017, 03:56:50 AM »

Trump's a huge pile of elephant dung, but perhaps the best they got after George W. Bush screwed us working-class folks over on the economy and the BS War in Iraq....

Don't seem like Trump's actually playing that well, even in heavily Republican parts of the Country, such as Baldwin County, Alabama....

Anyone thinking that Trump has magical coattails, I want to take a hit off that Opium Pipe that y'all are puffin' on staring at faded posters of Paul Ryan in your parents basements while endlessly rereading Ayn Rand....

Those of us that actually work for a living in the factories and shops, are fed up with this crap, and 2020 can't come soon enough.

Unfortunately Flake is trapped with a Republican brand where the State is going to flip hard Dem, and the Nut 'Pub would likely beat him in the Primary, so WTF....

Still, voting for a massive tax raise for working and Middle-Class Arizona voters, likely will screw the Party for quite a few election cycles.....
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #443 on: December 25, 2017, 12:10:02 PM »

What the hell.

Mr. Clean for President 2020?
History505
« Reply #444 on: December 25, 2017, 12:57:21 PM »

LOL, best comment I've ever read on this forum.

What the hell.

Mr. Clean for President 2020?
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -6.09

P P P

« Reply #445 on: December 26, 2017, 12:25:41 AM »
« Edited: December 26, 2017, 05:24:07 PM by Representative-elect ReaganClinton »

Alright, here is my #hottake on some speculative candidates for 2020.

Republicans:
Declared:
Donald Trump
Jack Fellure (Minor)

Currently Speculated:
Steve Bannon
Bob Corker
Ted Cruz
Carly Fiorina
Jeff Flake
John Kasich
Ben Sasse

Thoughts:
Not much to say about the GOP side of things, except the fact I think the majority of these candidates won't run. The most likely would have to be Steve Bannon, who has been locking horns with Trump recently, John Kasich, who has been vocally opposing Trump for a while now, and Carly Fiorina, who just wants to run another election campaign. Really, Fiorina is a wild card, and couldn't really take away any results from Trump. As for Kasich and Bannon, I could see Bannon take away some of Trump's radical base, but he would only win a few states in Cruz 2016 territory. As for Kasich, I believe he has a big shot at winning, but it'll be extremely tough the way the Republican base is right now.

Democrats:
Now, I'm gonna arrange Dems into a few different categories, ones who are likely, unlikely, and wild card candidates who may jump into the Democratic Primary. Comments will appear next to the candidates. Reportedly declined candidates will not be included in the list.

Declared:
John Delaney: Nothing to say about Atlas' meme man, he'll be lucky if he gets more than a couple votes

Likely Speculative Candidates:
Joe Biden: He has experience, he's well-liked among many national bases, he's the biggest star of the classic Democratic party, and he has the most polls shown kicking Trump's ass.
Martin O'Malley: O'Malley doesn't really have a chance, but if Biden or another stronger Democrat doesn't run him into the ground, he'll at least do better than he did in 2016.
Bernie Sanders: Still a star looked up to by many younger Democrats, Bernie possibly has another good run in him, but his age may prevent him from doing so.
Cory Booker: Booker would be a likely candidate whether any other strong Democrat runs or not. He's the compromise candidate between new age Progressive Democrats and Classic Obama-era Democrats.
Lincoln Chafee: Chafee is pathetic in every way. He'll run and withdraw almost immediately.
Terry McAuliffe: McAuliffe has a good chance of winning the election, as he's popular among many Democratic and Independent groups, but I don't see him winning the primary at all.
Jeff Merkley: Like McAuliffe, Merkley only has a shot of winning if the Democratic field is scarce, but if he could win, he could win big.

Unlikely:
Frederica Wilson: Her only claim to fame was a week-long Trump scandal. Her momentum died a long time ago.
Mitch Landrieu: Unknown Louisiana Mayor, doesn't have any name recognition nationally.
Eric Garcetti: Similar to Landrieu, but he's a little better known.
John Bel Edwards: Probably the least unlikely out of the unlikely candidates, but Bel Edwards will probably focus on a re-election campaign for Governor.
Eric Holder: Has some name recognition, but won't get far amongst more popular Democrats.
Bob Iger: Generic Trump-like Wall Street Democrat.
Tom Steyer: See: Bob Iger
Jason Kander: He has potential, but he should probably focus on getting elected to an office within his state, such as Governor, Representative, or primary McCaskill for another shot at the Senate.
Caroline Kennedy: Though she could be an appealing choice due to name recognition, she would be a relatively crippled candidate on Domestic issues without being elected to another position in the U.S. Government.
John Kerry: Less so but similarly to Bel Edwards, Kerry could be a viable candidate for running this election, but he's already been a failed nominee once, and I'm just not sure if he has it in him to run again.
Richard Blumenthal: One of the most unlikely candidates to run, will most likely stay in the Senate.
Tulsi Gabbard: Unpopular af.
Steve Bullock: Another unlikely candidate, I see him just running for another office within Montana.
Julian Castro: Not well known nationally.

Wildcard:
Deval Patrick: A popular Governor with the qualities of Cory Booker. Definitely a safe choice for Democrats, but I don't know how far he would get.
John Hickenlooper: He may be a popular Governor, but I'm unsure if he'd make it as far without the help of a KasichLooper ticket.
Kamala Harris: If her poll numbers go up within the Democratic Primary, she'll be one of the most likely candidates for the nomination
Amy Klobuchar: She's a strong Senator, but I don't know if she's ready to take the leap.

Other Thoughts:
  • Some of the minor Democratic candidates are interesting, such as Greggory Figer (Nominee for MI Governor in 1998), and Harry Braun (Democratic nominee for U.S. Representative from Arizona in 1984 and 1986)
  • The Libertarian party would become even more powerful if Bill Weld runs.
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #446 on: December 26, 2017, 12:39:24 AM »

Republicans:
Declared:
Donald Trump
Jack Fellure (Minor)

Currently Speculated:
Steve Bannon
Bob Corker
Ted Cruz
Carly Fiorina
Jeff Flake
John Kasich
Ben Sasse

Thoughts:
Not much to say about the GOP side of things, except the fact I think the majority of these candidates won't run. The most likely would have to be Steve Bannon, who has been locking horns with Trump recently, John Kasich, who has been vocally opposing Trump for a while now, and Carly Fiorina, who just wants to run another election campaign. Really, Fiorina is a wild card, and couldn't really take away any results from Trump. As for Kasich and Bannon, I could see Bannon take away some of Trump's radical base, but he would only win a few states in Cruz 2016 territory. As for Kasich, I believe he has a big shot at winning, but it'll be extremely tough the way the Republican base is right now.

Democrats:
Now, I'm gonna arrange Dems into a few different categories, ones who are likely, unlikely, and wild card candidates who may jump into the Democratic Primary. Comments will appear next to the candidates. Reportedly declined candidates will not be included in the list.

Declared:
John Delaney: Nothing to say about Atlas' meme man, he'll be lucky if he gets more than a couple votes

Joe Biden: He has experience, he's well-liked among many national bases, he's the biggest star of the classic Democratic party, and he has the most polls shown kicking Trump's ass.
Martin O'Malley: O'Malley doesn't really have a chance, but if Biden or another stronger Democrat doesn't run him into the ground, he'll at least do better than he did in 2016.
Bernie Sanders: Still a star looked up to by many younger Democrats, Bernie possibly has another good run in him, but his age may prevent him from doing so.
Cory Booker: Booker would is a likely candidate whether any other strong Democrat runs or not. He's the compromise candidate between new age Progressive Democrats and Classic Obama-era Democrats.
Lincoln Chafee: Chafee is pathetic in every way. He'll run and withdraw almost immediately.
Terry McAuliffe: McAuliffe has a good chance of winning the election, as he's popular among many Democratic and Independent groups, but I don't see him winning the primary at all.
Jeff Merkley: Like McAuliffe, Merkley only has a shot of winning if the Democratic field is scarce, but if he could win, he could win big.

Unlikely:
Frederica Wilson: Her only claim to fame was a week-long Trump scandal. Her momentum died a long time ago.
Mitch Landrieu: Unknown Louisiana Mayor, doesn't have any name recognition nationally.
John Bel Edwards: Probably the least unlikely out of the unlikely candidates, but Bel Edwards will probably focus on a re-election campaign for Governor.
Eric Holder: Has some name recognition, but won't get far amongst more popular Democrats.
Jason Kander: He has potential, but he should probably focus on getting elected to an office within his state, such as Governor, Representative, or primary McCaskill for another shot at the Senate.
Caroline Kennedy: Though she could be an appealing choice due to name recognition, she would be a relatively crippled candidate on Domestic issues without being elected to another position in the U.S. Government.
John Kerry: Less so but similarly to Bel Edwards, Kerry could be a viable candidate for running this election, but he's already been a failed nominee once, and I'm just not sure if he has it in him to run again.
Richard Blumenthal: One of the most unlikely candidates to run, will most likely stay in the Senate.
Steve Bullock: Another unlikely candidate, I see him just running for another office within Montana.

Wildcard:
Deval Patrick: A popular Governor with the qualities of Cory Booker. Definitely a safe choice for Democrats, but I don't know how far he would get.
John Hickenlooper: He may be a popular Governor, but I'm unsure if he'd make it as far without the help of a KasichLooper ticket.
Kamala Harris: If her poll numbers go up within the Democratic Primary, she'll be one of the most likely candidates for the nomination
Amy Klobuchar: She's a strong Senator, but I don't know if she's ready to take the leap.

Other Thoughts:
  • Some of the minor Democratic candidates are interesting, such as Greggory Figer (Nominee for MI Governor in 1998), and Harry Braun (Democratic nominee for U.S. Representative from Arizona in 1984 and 1986)

i'd agree except i'd move Bullock, Gabbard and Merkley to wildcard
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #447 on: December 26, 2017, 04:48:32 PM »

Yeah, once one person announces that they're running against Trump, the rest might decide that it's not worth it, as they're just going to split the anti-Trump vote even further.

And I'm skeptical of either Corker or Flake deciding to go through with it whether there's someone else in the race or not.  After Kasich, maybe the next most likely to run against Trump are Amash and Cuban.  Not that either of them are more than about 20% likely to run, but no one other than Kasich is individually more than 20% likely to run against Trump for the nomination, IMHO.

Hey Mr. Morden, would you mind doing another prediction thing where you give a chance that each person runs? I haven't seen one of those in awhile and you're keeping up the most of anyone that I've seen.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #448 on: December 26, 2017, 05:55:10 PM »

Republicans:
Declared:
Donald Trump
Jack Fellure (Minor)

Currently Speculated:
Steve Bannon
Bob Corker
Ted Cruz
Carly Fiorina
Jeff Flake
John Kasich
Ben Sasse

Thoughts:

Democrats:

Declared:

Cory Booker: Booker would be a likely candidate whether any other strong Democrat runs or not. He's the compromise candidate between new age Progressive Democrats and Classic Obama-era Democrats.

Unlikely:

Wildcard:

Other Thoughts:

The Washington Post has noted that Amy Klobuchar staffers have "made no secret that she sees herself as a future presidential contender" ("Democratic lawmakers such as Amy Klobuchar start making 2020 moves — and the base starts making demands" article from May 8, 2017) and a September interview with Cosmopolitan was titled "Amy Klobuchar Is Not (Currently) Running for President." She's definitely thinking of running.
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #449 on: December 26, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »

Dr. Paul talking about a challenger to Trump and libertarians future
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ron-paul-trump-may-be-vulnerable-to-2020-gop-primary-challenge/article/2644395
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies