Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 03:59:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 226283 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1525 on: March 06, 2015, 06:19:17 PM »

15% is what you give for good service?! WTF?!

I don't see anything that's not generous about it.  It's what I've always grown up with.  Different people have different percentages, but 15% has always been customary for me.  There's nothing wrong with that, either.  I also base it on how well they did.  If their service was poor, they might walk away with 10%.  If they did exceptionally well, I might bump it to 20%.  Generally, though, I try to give 15%.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1526 on: March 06, 2015, 06:23:17 PM »

15% is customary as a base expectation. 15% is what you tip somebody who's clearly just going through the motions. Somebody who's pleasant and prompt and puts on a good show of caring whether you live or die is good for at least 17% or 18%, if you really truly can't spare more.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1527 on: March 06, 2015, 06:26:20 PM »

15% is customary as a base expectation. 15% is what you tip somebody who's clearly just going through the motions. Somebody who's pleasant and prompt and puts on a good show of caring whether you live or die is good for at least 17% or 18%, if you really truly can't spare more.

I am a little more generous than my parents are.  I realize that the waiters rely on the tips due to very low wages, so I rarely ever give 10% unless they did an absolute pathetic job.  Usually it's 15-20% based on merit.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1528 on: March 06, 2015, 06:34:15 PM »

I am a little more generous than my parents are.  I realize that the waiters rely on the tips due to very low wages, so I rarely ever give 10% unless they did an absolute pathetic job.  Usually it's 15-20% based on merit.

Eh, that's a little low for comfort for my liking, but reasonable. Guess this is one thing we shouldn't really be hassling you about.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1529 on: March 06, 2015, 06:37:42 PM »

Bushie has his own Sprint account with unlimited everything AND has a Buy Your Phone on Installments built in. His phone bill must be $150-$200/month.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1530 on: March 06, 2015, 06:43:12 PM »

How do you upgrade your phone each year? AT&T only lets me get a new phone every two years.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1531 on: March 06, 2015, 06:45:30 PM »

How do you upgrade your phone each year? AT&T only lets me get a new phone every two years.

It's just a plan that Sprint offers.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1532 on: March 06, 2015, 06:47:29 PM »

You won't need a battery pack for the 6 plus. Its battery lasts for forever
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1533 on: March 06, 2015, 06:50:11 PM »

Sprint lets you buy the phone on installments and they add the cost of the phone on your bill each month. Of course, they charge an arm and a leg for this "service." You end up paying far more than full retail price for the phone.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1534 on: March 06, 2015, 06:52:07 PM »

Yeah, I don't know why he'd need a 6 plus when he had a 5S. I have a 6 and the battery is great but it's not that big of an upgrade over the 5S.

Bushie, what did you do with your old phone? You can sell it and probably pay for most of your new phone.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1535 on: March 06, 2015, 06:53:47 PM »

Americans tip a lot don't they? It's less formal here.

(Yes, I know why as well).
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1536 on: March 06, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »

Americans tip a lot don't they? It's less formal here.

(Yes, I know why as well).

I tip 25-30% base unless I'm literally told to go **** myself. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1537 on: March 06, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »

Name one diet where you've actually lost at least 10 pounds during the first 4 weeks. ONE.

November 2011-February 2012 - I lost nearly 30 pounds overall in that diet and over 10 pounds in the first month.  I've since gained it all back, but I'm not without precedent in losing weight.  I got down to the high 250's from 285.  If I can just get back to what I did then, I'd be in a whole lot better shape.  The problem is after I got back from Kenya that March, I fell off the diet.

What did you do to supposedly lose all that weight during that period?

^^^
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1538 on: March 06, 2015, 07:28:08 PM »

Bushie has a doppelganger in New Jersey...Hockey, you need to investigate this stat:

"Man Who Burned Face Praying Over Sizzling Fajitas Can't Sue Applebee's"
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1539 on: March 06, 2015, 07:31:12 PM »

Your bill won't go up because you already have one of the scamtastic installation deals already built in. If you didn't upgrade, your bill would go down substantially. It's like you enjoy being scammed.

Nonsense.  You're full of hot air.

That's literally how it works: When you picked out your iPhone 5S, you agreed to make 24 payments of $27.03 on top of your standard phone service charge — the full cost of the phone. After using the phone for a year and paying $300+ for it, you surrendered it back to Sprint. They gave you $0 to surrender it, meaning you lost the $300+ you (your dad) paid in exchange for not having to keep making payments on it.

Now, you've chosen the iPhone 6 Plus, which is a $100 more expensive phone than the 5S. You also had to buy accessories for it, further increasing the cost. You will now pay 24 payments of $31.25. It's a more expensive phone, your payment HAS to increase.

Instead of opting to hold on to a perfectly good phone for a while, you've decided to increase your net debt by $400 and spend a whole bunch of extra cash on accessories. Good job.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1540 on: March 06, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »

Will Bushie ever manage to go an entire day without falling for a scam?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1541 on: March 06, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »

You're on a 2-year contract where you get a subsidy on new phones. Bushie is on a lease plan where he pays full price, with payments tacked on to his monthly Bill. He can pick out a new phone after a year and stop making payments on the old phone. But he effectively loses all the money he paid, plus he no longer has the old phone. It's a cycle of permanent indebtedness to Sprint.

He is essentially paying $375 a year to rent a phone instead of $750 every two years to buy one, simply because he cannot bear to be without the fanciest, most expensive smartphone possible. While unemployed.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1542 on: March 06, 2015, 07:36:55 PM »

Will Bushie ever manage to go an entire day without falling for a scam?

I go most every day without falling into scams.  What the forum automatically calls a scam isn't necessarily a scam.  I'm just as knowledgeable as the rest of the forum on this.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1543 on: March 06, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »

No surprise here, folks. Bushie not only bought a new phone that he didn't need, but he bought the accessories for it at the retailer at their inflated prices.

Car charger? They sell cigarette lighter USB adapters on eBay/Amazon/et al, some for less than a dollar. You can plug your lightning cable into it, plug the adapter into your car's cigarette lighter and charge it that way.

Case? Again, no excuse for paying more than $10 for one online. I'm guessing you paid full retail price for an $80 OtterBox case at Sprint?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1544 on: March 06, 2015, 07:38:30 PM »

You're on a 2-year contract where you get a subsidy on new phones. Bushie is on a lease plan where he pays full price, with payments tacked on to his monthly Bill. He can pick out a new phone after a year and stop making payments on the old phone.

He is essentially paying $375 a year to rent a phone instead of $750 every two years to buy one, simply because he cannot bear to be without the fanciest, most expensive smartphone possible. While unemployed.

I've done nothing wrong and you cannot criticize me for upgrading my phone based on my plan's timeline.
Panda Express

« Reply #1545 on: March 06, 2015, 07:39:48 PM »

Your bill won't go up because you already have one of the scamtastic installation deals already built in. If you didn't upgrade, your bill would go down substantially. It's like you enjoy being scammed.

Nonsense.  You're full of hot air.

That's literally how it works: When you picked out your iPhone 5S, you agreed to make 24 payments of $27.03 on top of your standard phone service charge — the full cost of the phone. After using the phone for a year and paying $300+ for it, you surrendered it back to Sprint. They gave you $0 to surrender it, meaning you lost the $300+ you (your dad) paid in exchange for not having to keep making payments on it.

Now, you've chosen the iPhone 6 Plus, which is a $100 more expensive phone than the 5S. You also had to buy accessories for it, further increasing the cost. You will now pay 24 payments of $31.25. It's a more expensive phone, your payment HAS to increase.

Instead of opting to hold on to a perfectly good phone for a while, you've decided to increase your net debt by $400 and spend a whole bunch of extra cash on accessories. Good job.

Nonsense. You're full of hot air.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1546 on: March 06, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »

No surprise here, folks. Bushie not only bought a new phone that he didn't need, but he bought the accessories for it at the retailer at their inflated prices.

Car charger? They sell cigarette lighter USB adapters on eBay/Amazon/et al, some for less than a dollar. You can plug your lightning cable into it, plug the adapter into your car's cigarette lighter and charge it that way.

Case? Again, no excuse for paying more than $10 for one online. I'm guessing you paid full retail price for an $80 OtterBox case at Sprint?

Nope, a simple $20 drop protection case.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1547 on: March 06, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »

Nope, a simple $20 drop protection case.

That you could have gotten for less than half that online.
Panda Express

« Reply #1548 on: March 06, 2015, 07:44:47 PM »

Bushie, did you drink water today?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1549 on: March 06, 2015, 07:45:15 PM »

Oklahoma, where the only thing that's high is their chosen cost of living.

My family got a pack of 10 cases for $5 when we upgraded. Not glamorous, but they do the job.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies