Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:14:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 74
Author Topic: Update XXI: "Scientific Facts Are Not Hard And Fast Rules."  (Read 224480 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2015, 09:19:02 PM »

This was still near the height of the recession in May 2012 that I was let go.

I don't understand how you can just make that statement. At this point, the economy had grown beyond pre-recession levels. You got hired around the point of the first post-recession blip.

I don't mean to blame it on you, but just be accurate about it. We are on a political site, so these small differences of a year are very important. The reasoning is entirely based on the company at the time. I think that's when talks of Dell going private and their continuing poor performance were ongoing.

FWIW, I think that'd be fantastic if you could find something like that. Especially if you enjoyed it. Would be better than the other stuff that you have been offered.

I may be a little fuzzy on my dates, I'll admit.  I stand corrected.

Thanks for your support, though.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2015, 09:21:14 PM »

I am ready to settle down into a career and I think this Help Desk could be the ticket to do just that.

But are you still planning to move to Kenya in a few years?  You're going to settle down into a career, before leaving it behind to live in Kenya?

If things fall in place, then yes, Kenya is still in the plans.  I'm confident they will.  A Help Desk job would be a good way to make the money needed to pay off my debt and make the move to Kenya.  If things for Kenya do not fall in place, which I do not believe will happen, a Help Desk career can be a good way to save up for retirement.

Yes, I often hear about those retired Help Desk associates living the high life in their gated golf course communities while the rest of us have to barely scrape by.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »

I am ready to settle down into a career and I think this Help Desk could be the ticket to do just that.

But are you still planning to move to Kenya in a few years?  You're going to settle down into a career, before leaving it behind to live in Kenya?

If things fall in place, then yes, Kenya is still in the plans.  I'm confident they will.  A Help Desk job would be a good way to make the money needed to pay off my debt and make the move to Kenya.  If things for Kenya do not fall in place, which I do not believe will happen, a Help Desk career can be a good way to save up for retirement.

Yes, I often hear about those retired Help Desk associates living the high life in their gated golf course communities while the rest of us have to barely scrape by.

Overreacting much?  Help Desk employees have to work for their retirement like everybody else, but a retirement should be made available to everyone.  I did not insinuate that Help Desk'ers are privileged in anyway.
Panda Express

« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2015, 09:30:19 PM »

It is a call center, but a higher-end call center. 

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2015, 09:33:59 PM »

a retirement should be made available to everyone. 
Time to change the avatar again.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2015, 09:41:56 PM »

Bushie: Professional Call Center Trainee
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2015, 09:44:09 PM »

They have a name:  Call Center Gypsy.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »

Overreacting much?  Help Desk employees have to work for their retirement like everybody else, but a retirement should be made available to everyone.  I did not insinuate that Help Desk'ers are privileged in anyway.

Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2015, 10:02:27 PM »

"Higher-end call center"

Bushie, you never disappoint.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2015, 10:04:17 PM »

But then how is it a "career" if you're only going to be doing it for a couple of years?  Unless you plan to move on to "higher-end call centers" in Kenya.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »

But then how is it a "career" if you're only going to be doing it for a couple of years?  Unless you plan to move on to "higher-end call centers" in Kenya.

It can be a career if it needs to be.  I don't know what the future holds.  I have plans to go to Kenya, but God may have something completely different in mind.  I'm using the term 'career' based on the potential it has.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2015, 10:31:11 PM »

I am quite surprised, and pleasantly so, that I have not been criticized for entertaining this help desk position, even though it is a call center position.  A lot of times when I announce a job prospect, I get the "what-for" in no uncertain terms.  It is quite refreshing.  So, thank you all. Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2015, 10:35:06 PM »

They have a name:  Call Center Gypsy.

That's kind of racist.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2015, 10:39:26 PM »

It's a tongue-in-cheek name, but the first Tulsa job I had described everyone who bounced from training class to training class and never did any actual work to call-center gypsies.  It's not meant in a racist tone.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2015, 10:41:02 PM »

I am quite surprised, and pleasantly so, that I have not been criticized for entertaining this help desk position, even though it is a call center position.  A lot of times when I announce a job prospect, I get the "what-for" in no uncertain terms.  It is quite refreshing.  So, thank you all. Smiley

I count six people so far who have criticized this move, and you only announced it two hours ago.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2015, 10:43:53 PM »

I count six people so far who have criticized this move, and you only announced it two hours ago.

Really?  Maybe I haven't taken them as criticisms of the job itself.  They've questioned some of the terminology, but I haven't noticed any real criticism.  Maybe I'm in too good of a mood to notice it right now.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2015, 10:53:20 PM »

But are you still planning to move to Kenya in a few years?  You're going to settle down into a career, before leaving it behind to live in Kenya?

If things fall in place, then yes, Kenya is still in the plans.  I'm confident they will.  A Help Desk job would be a good way to make the money needed to pay off my debt and make the move to Kenya.  If things for Kenya do not fall in place, which I do not believe will happen, a Help Desk career can be a good way to save up for retirement.

But then how is it a "career" if you're only going to be doing it for a couple of years?  Unless you plan to move on to "higher-end call centers" in Kenya.

It can be a career if it needs to be.  I don't know what the future holds.  I have plans to go to Kenya, but God may have something completely different in mind.  I'm using the term 'career' based on the potential it has.

God came down from the Heavens in 2012 and spoke to you and told you specifically he had been preparing you for 30 years to make this move to Kenya.  And that all your hairs are accounted for. It would be pretty weird for him to have different plans for you all of a sudden.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2015, 10:58:55 PM »

It can be a career if it needs to be.  I don't know what the future holds.  I have plans to go to Kenya, but God may have something completely different in mind.  I'm using the term 'career' based on the potential it has.

God came down from the Heavens in 2012 and spoke to you and told you specifically he had been preparing you for 30 years to make this move to Kenya.  And that all your hairs are accounted for. It would be pretty weird for him to have different plans for you all of a sudden.

Which is why I stated I don't expect the plans to change.  I was just throwing in the inherent uncertainty of the future.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »

As someone who's relatively new to Update and all it's wonders, why do you want to go to Kenya Bushie? What about that part of the world appeals to you more?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2015, 11:17:15 PM »

As someone who's relatively new to Update and all it's wonders, why do you want to go to Kenya Bushie? What about that part of the world appeals to you more?

I went to Kenya on a mission trip in 2012 and 2013.  I have sponsor children there.  I fell in love with the people of Kenya and have it in my hearts desire to serve the orphanage that I served at which has headquarters in Oklahoma City.  The orphanage serves about 500 or more children and nearly 200 widows.  They are doing a great job at feeding the kids, educating them, and showing them the love of Jesus Christ.  It is rewarding to see the progress they are making and knowing I am having a small part in the progress.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:19 PM »

The Onion's mole strikes once again:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2015, 11:51:29 PM »

Bushie, what exactly are you waiting for on the move to Kenya?  Is your plan to move there as soon as you're out of debt, or what?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2015, 02:50:24 AM »

Well, considering Bushie didn't say otherwise, I'll just assume he avoided walking on Friday the 13th. I hope he at least ate healthy.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2015, 06:29:36 AM »

Good evening, guys.  I'll be perfectly honest, this IT job would be a Help Desk, like what I did at Dell in Oklahoma City and at Xerox in Utah.  It is a call center, but a higher-end call center.  I had pretty decent success at Dell as I was there for a solid year and was only evicted due to a downsizing.  This was still near the height of the recession in May 2012 that I was let go.  I could have gone a lot longer in Utah had I not made the rash decision to come home to OKC for CAD school.  So, the question is not can I do it, because I know I can.  Plus, now, I am 3 years older than I was at Dell and am a little more mature.  I am ready to settle down into a career and I think this Help Desk could be the ticket to do just that.

Let me also be clear that the Help Desk position is not the only game in town right now. I still have the application in at the window washing company and the meeting with the recruiter next Wednesday is for CAD jobs.  Ultimately, I would still like a CAD job, but right now, I will take the first legitimate job to come along.  I will still keep looking for other opportunities throughout the weekend so I can have a leg up on the job search for Monday.

I call bullshinks bullshinks and you get insulted but I'm right.  Lol. Pathetic.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2015, 10:28:56 AM »

Bushie, what exactly are you waiting for on the move to Kenya?  Is your plan to move there as soon as you're out of debt, or what?

I'm waiting until I get out of debt and save up enough afterward to finance the trip.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies