Favourite latest post by previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 07:23:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 56
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 92139 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: March 14, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »

Statement by Baldwin Campaign
After a week of struggling with an ugly case of the flu, Senator Baldwin would like to make it known to all of her supporters that both her and her campaign remain alive and well, and will be back, full speed ahead, in the coming week.

Tammy Baldwin Campaign Schedule, October 15th-21st

"In February of this year, five of my Senate colleagues and I sent a letter to the Department of Education, criticizing its failure to do the right thing when it came to utilizing its Congressionally-authorized tools to cancel out student loan debt. I stand by that position today, because it's common sense. Sucking hundreds of billions of dollars out of the pockets of our young people when there is a legal and sensible alternative available is absolutely immoral, it's bad economics, and it's just plain stupid. This is the future of our country we're talking about. How do we expect our young people to find good-paying jobs, to invent, develop, and invest in America when we won't even allow them an affordable college education? When I'm President, you can bet the Department of Education will be one that utilizes every tool it has to cancel out student loan debt for our young people!"

October 15th, 2015
-Speech in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
-Meet and Greet with Students at University of Iowa, discussing student loan debt
-Barnstorming in Iowa City, Iowa
-Barnstorming in Mount Ayr, Iowa

October 16th, 2015

QUESTION: Senator, how do you feel about the recent passage of the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal?

BALDWIN: Well, I wasn't able to be very vocal about it right when it passed as I was ill, but make no mistake: this is a terrible deal. It's a terrible deal for workers, for the environment, for farmers, for almost everyone except the corporate bigwigs profiting off of it. Any deal negotiated in backrooms and hidden from the public eye so quietly as this one is bound to be harmful to the little guy, plain and simple.

QUESTION: Senator, you've said previously that you support expanding Social Security. Isn't it dangerous to meander around the significant problem of a broken entitlements system?

BALDWIN: Well, when I talk about my plan to expand Social Security, all I'm talking about is eliminating the cap on the payroll tax, which keeps those with incomes of over $250 grand from paying the same share into the system as everybody else. By doing this, we can keep Social Security solvent for at least the next four or five decades, while at the same time increasing benefits for seniors who have earned them. It's the fiscally and morally responsible thing to do.

-Meet and Greet in Greenfield, Iowa
-Meet and Greet in Atlantic, Iowa
-Meet and Greet in Boone, Iowa
-Live Q&A on Google Hangout

October 17th, 2015
-Meet and Greet in Carroll, Iowa
-Meet and Greet in West Des Moines, Iowa
-Appearance on Weekends with Alex Witt, discussing campaign, raising the minimum wage, and student loan debt
-Town Hall in West Des Moines, Iowa
-Meet and Greet in Des Moines, Iowa

October 18th, 2015

"Folks, mine is not a campaign built for the sole purpose of attacking. This is not a campaign against Hillary Clinton, or anybody else. What this is is a positive, issues-based campaign that is focused on policies to bring our economic recovery to those who have yet to see it in action, policies to bring about real fairness for all Americans, whether it be in the wages we earn, the benefits we receive, or the educations we strive for. Things like eliminating student loan debt, expanding Social Security, implementing equal pay for equal work -- no one else on the campaign trail is talking about these issues, yet they are so very crucial to the future of our nation and the American people. The candidates at the top of the polls feel that they'll be safe even if they ignore them. I feel differently, and that's what this campaign is all about!"

-Meet and Greet in Orange City, Iowa
-Speech in Sioux City, Iowa
-Barnstorming in Sioux City, Iowa
-Flight to Duluth, Minnesota

October 19th, 2015
-Town Hall in Duluth, Minnesota
-Meet and Greet in Bemidji, Minnesota
-Meet and Greet in Minnetonka, Minnesota
-Meet and Greet in Minneapolis, Minnesota

October 20th, 2015
-Meet and Greet w/ Students at University of Minnesota
-Speech at University of Minnesota
-Appearance on Now with Alex Wagner, discussing campaign, student loan debt

"Here's my philosophy: if you work hard, you play by the rules, you pay your taxes, you do everything in this country that you're supposed to do, you deserve a fair wage, a wage that isn't determined by your gender. You deserve an affordable education. You deserve job security and retirement security, the promise that what you have worked so hard to build will not be stripped from you with the snap of corporate fingers. You deserve a piece of this economic recovery. We need young people like you folks right here at the University of Minnesota, we need you, the future of this nation, to stand up and fight for these ideals! I need you to join me in this race as we fight for these principles! Mine is a grassroots campaign to move this country forward, and make no mistake: it starts with you!"

October 21st, 2015
-Flight to Manchester, New Hampshire
-Rest Day

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #901 on: March 14, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2015, 03:57:10 PM by Torie »

This post seems sensible - and correct. The poll tax needed to go, along with large swaths of the nation not allowing blacks to vote, to have a universal franchise. The one person, one vote SCOTUS decision had been decided a few years' before, Baker v. Carr, which I think is also an essential ingredient.

As has been said, there's no clear, universal line separating an inclusive oligarchy from a restrictive democracy. It's a continuum and definitions can only vary through time and context.

That said, 1968 is unquestionably the date where the minimum requisites for a modern democracy (no discrimination on the basis of wealth, gender or race) were met.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #902 on: March 14, 2015, 03:58:00 PM »

My mother was a trophy wife. My Dad was an executive at a record company in Los Angeles during that portion of his career when I was alive (my Dad sired me at 45, and he had a most fascinating - almost novelistic - career prior to me arrival on this planet).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #903 on: March 14, 2015, 04:05:48 PM »

Context: New York vs California

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Obviously I don't agree with the conclusion...but I can't fault using food for judgment.

And there's always something funny about answering something like that in just three words Wink
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #904 on: March 14, 2015, 10:18:02 PM »

Strategic voting for Japan to stop the White Countries.

That's why you vote for Kenya

Get the same effect, and without endorsing some of the creepier elements of the internet.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #905 on: March 14, 2015, 10:33:33 PM »

It's true McDaniel did attend a few Neo-Confederate meetings, yes, but he is the lesser of the two evils. He made offensive comments about gays and I even still support him over the Mark Sanford of Mississippi! I probably would abstain if McDaniel ends up being the nominee against Childers though.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #906 on: March 14, 2015, 10:45:57 PM »

Bushie do you ever watch Women's Basketball?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #907 on: March 14, 2015, 10:51:39 PM »

Very amusing.

Donald Trump Campaign Schedule October 8-14
I'm glad to be back in the great state of New Hampshire. This state has always been a bastion for freedom, liberty. I intend to restore that ideal when I get to the White House. Washington's been choking America, it's time to stop that.

Monday, October 8
Rally and Speech in Manchester, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Manchester, New Hampshire
Visit to gun store in Manchester, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Nashua, New Hampshire
Town hall in New Boston, New Hampshire
Flight to Iowa

I think and I'm sure a lot of you agree, that the way Washington has been treating hardworking Americans has been disgusted. You're not a person, you're a number! So are you! And you! It's ridiculous. We need to reform the tax system, desperately.  As President, I will implement a simple, reasonable tax system.

Tuesday, October 9
Press conference in Des Moines, Iowa
Meet and Greet in Des Moines, Iowa
Meeting with Burlington GOP, Burlington Iowa
Tour of small businesses in Burlington, Iowa

I pledge that I will visit all 99 counties of Iowa, yes every single one of them. And when I visit those counties, I'll be talking to average Americans, people who care about America. I'm proud to say that I'm the anti-Washington candidate in this race.

Wednesday, October 10
Meet and Greet in Wapello, Iowa
Touring farms in Louisa County, Iowa
Meet and Greet in Muscatine, Iowa
Flight to New Hampshire

Thursday, October 11
Breakfast with New Hampshire staff in Manchester, New Hampshire
Town hall in Concord, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Dover, New Hampshire
Town hall in Dover, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Rochester, New Hampshire

Friday, October 12
Appearance on local radio in Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Londonderry, New Hampshire
Meet and Greet in Exeter, New Hampshire
Town hall in Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Attendee's Question: What is your take on illegal drugs policy in America, do you support the War on Drugs and what is your opinion on marijuana legalization?

Thanks for that question. Now drugs, drugs are a complicated issue. Personally, I have no qualms with individual states legalizing marijuana. I think we should educate people about the risks and I also think we need to continue to prevent illegal drugs production, importation and distribution by cartels and dealers. It's quite clear that the current drugs policies aren't working. If we can find a way to contain it, than I'm all open to that. Legalization is an option.

Saturday, October 13
Flight to South Carolina
Town hall in Charleston, South Carolina

Attendee's Question: How would you, as President, deal with the immigration crisis at the Mexican border?

You watch, this is going to get ridiculed in the mainstream media. There's no way of saying it nicely, so I'll come out and say it anyway. We should consider occupying northern Mexico. Seriously, think about it.  In dealing with new arrivals, increased border controls isn't enough, they will keep coming. We need to get on both sides of the border, as the local government is clearly inept. Then we set up camps inside Mexico for these people to go to, where they can either apply to enter America legally or agree to go home. While we're at it, we may as well fight the cartels and get them away from our nation and cut off their smuggling routes.

This is a drastic solution to both of these problems but I genuinely believe that it could work. We have to try something new here.

Sunday, October 14
Rest day

Advertisement

America, I know you're sick of all the complicated, pointless tax system that you deal with? Or the IRS snooping into your private affairs? If you vote for me Donald Trump as your next President, I'll reform the tax system and get the IRS out of your face.

I'm Donald Trump and I approve this message.

Ad to Air in the Following States

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #908 on: March 15, 2015, 05:58:26 AM »

What a great thread. That's strange to say because its basis is not great, but the spirit in response is very refreshing. A lot of people have a variation of that memory - crying while they thought no one noticed. And that's why I think so many people want to help, because we know you're never actually alone.

If you're feeling extremely amotivated and look towards each day with dread, I highly highly recommend seeking out help. It is very possible that you could get a change of perspective by getting a professional opinion. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Sometimes the way you feel isn't your fault. Sometimes a little bit of guidance from someone who has seen this a thousand times can mean everything.

Twenty-seven is still totally young, by the way. It's a weird stage where you're half expected to finally have a decent grasp of what the hell you're doing but still just fumbling around like an imbecile. Then again, I'm pretty sure that's what most of our years will lead to being, to varying degrees.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #909 on: March 15, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »

I will also note that there is something a bit...weird with not granting oneself an FF vote. If you genuinely think you're a bad person you should probably change.

What if my main flaw is precisely a strong tendency toward inertia? Tongue

(BTW, I still not voted in the poll - I genuinely can't imagine calling myself a FF or a HP)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #910 on: March 15, 2015, 11:35:08 AM »

How can you people not be voting for Lee Iacocca?   I mean just imagine - if Ted Kennedy had a Ford Pinto in Chappaquiddick it would have floated.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2015, 04:05:36 PM »

I have a genuine love of Japan and Italy. Everyone here assumes devious motives where there genuinely aren't.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #912 on: March 16, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »

Only if you can describe a Helms/Bowles/Dole/Hagan voter in North Carolina from 1996-2014.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #913 on: March 16, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »

So Greece does not want more money? This would be glorious news if true, but the truth is they don't want any conditions on it. They're perfectly happy to take all the money they can get (and furthermore act as if it's their God given right).

It would be nice if you stopped saying things that are factually wrong after I point out why they are factually wrong. See, this is delusion: repeating the same thing over and over after it has been thoroughly disproven.

1. Greece wants to be able to perform the basic functions of a State, including the provision of basic goods such as health care and housing. This can be achieved without these never-ending bailouts, which you complain about even though it was Germany and the EC's idea.

2. Germany (or any other country) has not actually "given" a single penny to Greece. It's. A. F**king. Loan. There's a slight difference.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #914 on: March 16, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »

Giving lots of money to states in poor financial circumstances is a necessary part of a currency union, and it's ridiculous to expect otherwise. It works that way in the U.S., but you don't get CT forcing AL to implement massive austerity cuts or something (Alabama does that of its own accord Tongue )
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #915 on: March 16, 2015, 12:56:30 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #916 on: March 16, 2015, 01:37:33 PM »

A bit easy on Sir Donald, but

Horrid, vile, narcissistic HP. Also, his hair is a joke.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #917 on: March 16, 2015, 01:39:55 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #918 on: March 16, 2015, 01:52:17 PM »

Got to love our poor libertarians thinking that they finally found their messiah only for him to turn out to be another GOPer willing to sell his soul for the nomination.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #919 on: March 16, 2015, 03:51:15 PM »

I could see a map like this if these results hold:

Bradley: 266
Lugar: 218
Nader: 54
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #920 on: March 17, 2015, 03:49:25 AM »

The Land Before Time
Batman
Big Fish
Willow
The Princess Bride
The Star Wars Series
Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Disney's Beauty and the Beast
Pixar's Up

Anything composed Bernard Herrman

J.R.R Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
John Williams' work on Harry Potter

Just about anything composed by Ennio Morricone but especially:

Cinema Paradiso (especially the Love Theme)

That's just for starters
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #921 on: March 17, 2015, 05:39:18 AM »

1/0/0

I feel like I could be doing more to raise this number.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #922 on: March 17, 2015, 05:58:28 AM »

To be on "Greece's side" at this point, given the ever increasing idiocy their new government produces, is a pretty good indicator of insanity. And being on "Greece's side" in the way it's meant in this poll is even worse for the Greek people than the alternative.

You mean continued austerity is better than trying (somewhat erratically) to restore some semblance of humane living conditions for the most destitute? I'm sorry to say that, but it's just baffling to see how much you Northern Europeans are deluded.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #923 on: March 17, 2015, 06:03:49 AM »

Man this thread is getting pretty goddamn faggy, isn't it?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #924 on: March 17, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies