Irish general election: 25 February 2011
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:21:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish general election: 25 February 2011
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: Irish general election: 25 February 2011  (Read 83003 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: February 24, 2011, 12:58:03 AM »

Which I think should give an overall prediction *get your buckets of salt ready* of something like:
73 Fine Gael
38 Labour
26 Fianna Fáil
16 Sinn Féin
  6 United Left Alliance
  7 Independents
  0 Greens

which looks instinctively wrong. Anyway, I guess we'll how wrong soon enough.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #326 on: February 24, 2011, 01:12:21 AM »

Which I think should give an overall prediction *get your buckets of salt ready* of something like:
73 Fine Gael
38 Labour
26 Fianna Fáil
16 Sinn Féin
  6 United Left Alliance
  7 Independents
  0 Greens

Thanks for the posts, Jas.

A lot of people seem to be calling for slightly more FG and Ind seats than that- which would give them a lot easier chance to govern without Labour.  It should be interesting.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #327 on: February 24, 2011, 09:09:19 AM »

Ha, there's probably going to be some pretty sad people in Dublin once the Irish hero Gadaffi falls. If I lived in Massachusetts I'd love to observe the reaction in South Boston.

Has Sinn Fein issued any statements yet about how much of a glorious freedom fighter he is?

A representation of this post.

When it comes to these matters BRTD is either dumb, a troll or a dumb troll. Not sure what.
It is frightfully hard to explain to Protestants that if you give Roman Catholics a good job and a good house they will live like Protestants because they will see neighbours with cars and television sets; they will refuse to have eighteen children. But if a Roman Catholic is jobless, and lives in the most ghastly hovel he will rear eighteen children on National Assistance. If you treat Roman Catholics with due consideration and kindness they will live like Protestants in spite of the authoritative nature of their Church.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #328 on: February 24, 2011, 09:15:33 AM »

I've always loved the fact that he actually said 'frightfully'.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #329 on: February 24, 2011, 10:22:56 AM »

I see the exit poll is being announced at 8am. Is there a particular reason why Ireland doesn't make people stay up into the wee hours to learn who's going to govern the country? I know NI used to do it.

Counting transfers in an STV system takes too long. If they did it overnight, they wouldn't have any results until 4 am or so anyway.

So there is no point in watching television coverage of election night?

I think last time they announced the first count and then went to bed (might be remembering that wrong), but I think all counting is happening the next morning this time.

In 2002, a test with electronic voting in 3 constituencies was done - those counts were done pretty much immediately after polls closed.

Other than that, we've always stuck with counting the day after (and the day after that).

Counts will begin at 9a.m. It'll probably be a couple of hours before a reasonable idea of what's going on emerges.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #330 on: February 24, 2011, 10:25:19 AM »

73 Fine Gael
38 Labour
26 Fianna Fáil
16 Sinn Féin
  6 United Left Alliance
  7 Independents
  0 Greens

A lot of people seem to be calling for slightly more FG and Ind seats than that- which would give them a lot easier chance to govern without Labour.  It should be interesting.

Yeah, I also seem to be more favourable to SF than most.
I rushed through Dublin a bit - might review things.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #331 on: February 24, 2011, 11:34:58 AM »

I see the exit poll is being announced at 8am. Is there a particular reason why Ireland doesn't make people stay up into the wee hours to learn who's going to govern the country? I know NI used to do it.

Counting transfers in an STV system takes too long. If they did it overnight, they wouldn't have any results until 4 am or so anyway.

So there is no point in watching television coverage of election night?

I think last time they announced the first count and then went to bed (might be remembering that wrong), but I think all counting is happening the next morning this time.

In 2002, a test with electronic voting in 3 constituencies was done - those counts were done pretty much immediately after polls closed.

Other than that, we've always stuck with counting the day after (and the day after that).

Counts will begin at 9a.m. It'll probably be a couple of hours before a reasonable idea of what's going on emerges.

Personally, I used to think the NI reason was to avoid drunken sectarian fights...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #332 on: February 24, 2011, 01:05:41 PM »

"I'm glad to see the back of the Green Party. They have destroyed Fianna Fáil and we should never have gone into government with them." Pat Fitzgerald, FF candidate in Wicklow

You what, Pat? Greens caused the bubble to burst?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #333 on: February 24, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »

73 Fine Gael
38 Labour
26 Fianna Fáil
16 Sinn Féin
  6 United Left Alliance
  7 Independents
  0 Greens

Yeah, I also seem to be more favourable to SF than most.
I rushed through Dublin a bit - might review things.

Yeah, I think SF would be delighted with 16. As long as they get over 7 and speaking rights is the minimum goal, but in this political climate I think it would be a failure if they dont get to at least 12 or 13.

Lewis, regarding your quote. He is a FF voter still- you have to expect  a certain amount of built in delusional thought.
Kevinstat

« Reply #334 on: February 24, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »

73 Fine Gael
38 Labour
26 Fianna Fáil
16 Sinn Féin
  6 United Left Alliance
  7 Independents
  0 Greens

How many seats would SF probably need to win to have 20 seats in the Oireachtas (Dáil Éireann + Seanad Éireann) once the Seanad elections have taken place?  I asssume none will be Taoiseach's nominees. Smiley  20 members of the Oireachtas are enough to nominate a candidate for President, and the next Irish presidential election will be held in October assuming Mary McAleese serves out her term.  Could Gerry Adams vote to nominate himself or would SF need to win 20 seats besides his to get him on the ballot without relying on support outside SF?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #335 on: February 24, 2011, 09:24:07 PM »

73 Fine Gael
38 Labour
26 Fianna Fáil
16 Sinn Féin
  6 United Left Alliance
  7 Independents
  0 Greens

How many seats would SF probably need to win to have 20 seats in the Oireachtas (Dáil Éireann + Seanad Éireann) once the Seanad elections have taken place?  I asssume none will be Taoiseach's nominees. Smiley  20 members of the Oireachtas are enough to nominate a candidate for President, and the next Irish presidential election will be held in October assuming Mary McAleese serves out her term.  Could Gerry Adams vote to nominate himself or would SF need to win 20 seats besides his to get him on the ballot without relying on support outside SF?

I am pretty sure you just need 20 members- so I "think" some other member of SF would nominate and then they would just vote for themselves.  It would be a ridiculous move even if they had the #'s.  Personally, I think they should get rid of the Seanad altogether- maybe look at getting rid of the President too. Overall Ireland just seems way over-governed and it perpetuates a lot of the local hero nonsense candidates.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #336 on: February 25, 2011, 08:53:57 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2011, 08:56:19 AM by Јas »

So, that gives a slightly revised overall prediction of:
73 Fine Gael
37 Labour
27 Fianna Fáil
15 Sinn Féin
  6 United Left Alliance
  8 Independents

For a bit of comparison, two of The Irish Times's political correspondents blogged their predictions today:

de Bréadún    McGee
Fine Gael8279
Labour3534
Fianna Fáil   2521
Sinn Féin1210
United Left3
Green02
Ind/Other12*16

*including unspecified ULA

So, I'm clearly on a different wavelength to the professional commentators in certain regards. Oh well...
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #337 on: February 25, 2011, 08:57:43 AM »

What time do the polls open over there? Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #338 on: February 25, 2011, 09:04:18 AM »

Polls opened at 7a.m. and close at 10p.m. (local times).
(Though I suppose technically, many of the islands off the west coast voted either on Wednesday or Thursday.)

An exit poll wil be release tomorrow morning at 8a.m.; counting begins at 9.
We won't know much until early afternoon.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #339 on: February 25, 2011, 09:06:33 AM »

Polls opened at 7a.m. and close at 10p.m. (local times).

An exit poll wil be release tomorrow morning at 8a.m.; counting begins at 9.
We won't know much until early afternoon.

Thanks!  Interesting that counting doesn't start until tomorrow, but I guess I'm used to the American idea of throwing out the numbers (however meaningless) as soon as they get out there. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #340 on: February 25, 2011, 09:43:54 AM »

Let's hope the Fail fail will be as epic as predicted and that for the first time Ireland will have a normal political system with a left and the right.

After all, maybe it's better to have Fine Gael ruling during the crisis period, so that they could get wiped out quickly enough and maybe we could see a Labour government...
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #341 on: February 25, 2011, 10:01:05 AM »

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #342 on: February 25, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »

There is always (at least) one independent or small party candidate who will get elected who no-one, repeat no-one, believed who had any chance seconds before the boxes open and is completely outside of whatever ballygovillage he (nearly always he) hails from.

Would say more but I have been busy as of late, will post much more tomorrow when the scale of the apoclaypse becomes clear.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #343 on: February 25, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »

Hey guys, How is emigrant or absentee voting handled? I can't find much information on it- are you allowed to vote at embassies etc.?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #344 on: February 25, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »

Well, just back from voting. My local polling station was pretty packed, so that's probably a good sign. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #345 on: February 25, 2011, 02:10:52 PM »

I can only encourage all Irish posters to post their full ballot.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #346 on: February 25, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »

Obviously past a certain point the preferences become more or less random and divided between fringe independents, so I'll leave them off.

[1] Joe Costello (Lab)
[2] Aíne Clancy (Lab)
[3] Paschal Donohoe (FG)
[4] Maureen O' Sullivan (Ind.)
[5] Phil Kearney (Green)
[6] Christy Burke (Ind.)
[7] Cieran Perry (Ind.)
[8] The incredible John "Pluto" Hyland (Ind.)

As you can imagine it got a bit silly after that. Tongue
DL
Canada

« Reply #347 on: February 25, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »

What sort of turnout level have you had in recent Irish elections and if the turnout is high or low - which party does it help or hinder?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #348 on: February 25, 2011, 02:33:17 PM »

67% in 2007. Whether that was high or low or whatever I cannot tell you - wikipedia is oddly silent on turnout (or no. of reg'd voters) for the two elections before that.
freek
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #349 on: February 25, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »

67% in 2007. Whether that was high or low or whatever I cannot tell you - wikipedia is oddly silent on turnout (or no. of reg'd voters) for the two elections before that.

I have found the following figures:

1992: 68.4%
1997: 65.9%
2002: 62.6%
2007: 67.0%

http://eed.nsd.uib.no/webview/index.jsp?study=http://129.177.90.166:80/obj/fStudy/IEPA1997_Display&node=0&mode=cube&v=2&cube=http://129.177.90.166:80/obj/fCube/IEPA1997_Display_C1&top=yes
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies