The Update for Everybody Else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 11:48:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Update for Everybody Else
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 44
Author Topic: The Update for Everybody Else  (Read 87175 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: June 25, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »

I'm also fairly certain my boss is hitting on me. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now.

Run To The Hills

I can't watch that here, but she hasn't left me alone all afternoon on email, and I'm afraid if I ignore her emails I will make her mad or something. I'm going to have to tiptoe around this one.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #376 on: June 25, 2013, 03:34:05 PM »

I'm also fairly certain my boss is hitting on me. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do now.

Run To The Hills

I can't watch that here, but she hasn't left me alone all afternoon on email, and I'm afraid if I ignore her emails I will make her mad or something. I'm going to have to tiptoe around this one.

Suggestive emails?  Oh good Lord I hope you say no.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #377 on: June 25, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »

Japanese. The program at my university has a reputation among both other departments at the university and the analogous departments in other universities in the region for being intensive, but part of the attrition rate does admittedly derive from the fact that some people who declare the major as freshmen have expectations that would be unrealistic for any serious study of a foreign language.

What's the attrition rate in an American University undergraduate program typically like?

It varies from place to place, but I found a New York Times article that gives the figures of sixty per cent in science and engineering counting pre-med, forty not counting pre-med, and twenty to thirty in everything else.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #378 on: June 25, 2013, 03:39:15 PM »

What's the attrition rate in an American University undergraduate program typically like?

I wasn't aware of any attrition, except from running out of tuition money.

Pics please.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #379 on: June 25, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »

Run To The Hills

Tell her that you are a closeted gay. She'll leave you alone and won't tell anybody.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #380 on: June 25, 2013, 03:50:29 PM »

Run To The Hills

Tell her that you are a closeted gay. She'll leave you alone and won't tell anybody.

One can only hope she doesn't want to convert our gay Greek boy away from the dark side.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #381 on: June 25, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »

No, no suggestive emails... she's just really playful and keeps asking me personal questions and going back and forth with tons of unwork related things, etc. She could just be really friendly, but she has told me how she's divorced on more than one occasion, and she keeps hanging around me, so I am getting that vibe that she's after something.

And no pics, opebo, she's probably late 30s or early 40s, short, blonde, has 2 kids who go to the same private school I went to.

I'm going to try to play it off for now. I'm not telling her I'm gay. I don't need that gossip spreading. Tongue

Plus, telling her I'm a 24 year old closeted gay in Charleston isn't a very believable story. No one cares if you're a gay here!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #382 on: June 25, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »

Is she hot?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #383 on: June 25, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if the stress I've been undergoing the past year or so has been adversely affecting my value as a poster by making me more irritable and quick to default to the aspects of my personality and worldview that piss people off

I certainly don't see that here.

Given that honesty is important to me, I would say Nathan that there are instances of that coming across in posts. I've tended to point them out when they had anything to do with me and you seem to notice them too so no need to fret too much.

This week I had my tooth pulled. Huzzah. I was also here;

for Solstice. The sun was shining and the air was salty. Magnificent.

Did you go to the chip shop?

Of course Cheesy Fish tea and ice cream.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #384 on: June 25, 2013, 04:50:18 PM »

For a 40 year old, I guess she is. I'm a poor judge of older women's attractiveness except that Jennifer Aniston is attractive and Greek
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #385 on: June 26, 2013, 10:20:55 AM »

I'm starting to wonder if the stress I've been undergoing the past year or so has been adversely affecting my value as a poster by making me more irritable and quick to default to the aspects of my personality and worldview that piss people off

I certainly don't see that here.

Given that honesty is important to me, I would say Nathan that there are instances of that coming across in posts. I've tended to point them out when they had anything to do with me and you seem to notice them too so no need to fret too much.

This week I had my tooth pulled. Huzzah. I was also here;

for Solstice. The sun was shining and the air was salty. Magnificent.

Did you go to the chip shop?

Of course Cheesy Fish tea and ice cream.

I take it fish tea is fish and chips. Do you always use tea to mean with chips (e.g chicken tea, fishcake tea)? Here in Edinburgh its always referred to as a supper.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #386 on: June 26, 2013, 10:22:15 AM »

For a 40 year old, I guess she is. I'm a poor judge of older women's attractiveness except that Jennifer Aniston is attractive and Greek

Any update on today's shenanigans from Ms. Milf?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #387 on: June 26, 2013, 10:37:45 AM »

Any update on today's shenanigans from Ms. Milf?

She wants me to teach her how to use powerpoint so she can better train the other title searchers and paralegals on how to scan things because the firm is trying to cut down on paper costs, so she spent all morning with me. This afternoon, I'm supposed to get to work with her on the training stuff.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #388 on: June 26, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »

What does mastering powerpoint have to do with teaching folks how to scan pieces of paper, Dukey?

In our law firm, everything is scanned (and word searchable so one document out of thousands can be found within a few seconds) . We don't keep paper anymore, and we don't have a storage facility to house old documents. That is just so yesterday.

Is there any prospect in the future that you will be treated like a nascent lawyer, rather than a fancy paralegal or administrative assistant?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #389 on: June 26, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »

What does mastering powerpoint have to do with teaching folks how to scan pieces of paper, Dukey?

Oh good Lord.....nothing!  She just wants to snuggle up close to Dukey while his magic fingers work the computer Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #390 on: June 26, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »

She just invited me to lunch. Thankfully I had already gone.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #391 on: June 26, 2013, 11:27:18 AM »

This is becoming a real problem.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #392 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »

Finally got a date and time set to take the ASTB, which is essentially the Naval Officer's entrance exam.  Processing my info over in Philly was UNGODLY slow, but I take it Friday at 10am.  My results on this test will determine whether I'm a suitable candidate for the officer program and what my specialty should be.  This test is way, way, way easier than the LSAT which I scored in the 80th percentile on... so I'm quite confident. 
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #393 on: June 26, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2013, 12:00:40 PM by VP Duke »

In our law firm, everything is scanned (and word searchable so one document out of thousands can be found within a few seconds) . We don't keep paper anymore, and we don't have a storage facility to house old documents. That is just so yesterday.

Is there any prospect in the future that you will be treated like a nascent lawyer, rather than a fancy paralegal or administrative assistant?

I don't know, mainly because I don't know what real estate attorneys do. Last summer, I worked for a defense attorney and spent most of the summer interviewing his clients and the like, and preparing client letters, deposition reports, etc. I did much of the same at the healthcare firm I worked for the summer before law school as well.

I quickly learned I'm not real interested in criminal defense, so I thought I'd see what real estate was all about. So far, I haven't been given a lot of work other than to do a lot of things over than random tasks. As far as I've noticed, there aren't many trials going on in the real estate world. The managing partner did tell me I'd be doing closings with clients by the end of the summer though. I've only been here 2 weeks.

I am set to assist another attorney at another firm with one of their trials - an employment dispute, so I'll learn about that too. I am just getting around as best I can before I graduate.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #394 on: June 26, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »

And as for the technology goes, it must be South Carolina, but all the firms I've worked for have paper problems. The healthcare/corporate firm I worked for years ago had a warehouse on the head attorney's plantation, and he'd send the interns out there to fetch whatever files the firm needed at ahy given time.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #395 on: June 26, 2013, 11:54:41 AM »

Didn't have a wacky celebration today with the DOMA ruling; we were carrying a sh-tload of stuff from IKEA on the bus home. Have to wait to see what it means for civil partnerships, though I find ironic that if it doesn't we can just run off to Canada or apply for a visa to marry in New York.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #396 on: June 26, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »

This is becoming a real problem.

Yeah, it is. I lucked out today, but I hope this isn't going to be a pattern.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #397 on: June 26, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2013, 12:12:08 PM by Torie »

Real estate lawyers outside title company title search stuff in some states do the following, among other things that come to my mind:

1. Document real estate sales and financing (often complex in real estate developments, where the risk of securing entitlements, and sometimes even actual sales, and ensuing profits, is shared between Seller and Buyer)
2. Draft leases (long term land leases are extremely complex)
3. Prepare partnership or LLC agreements governing the wedding, marriage, and divorce of the co-owners.
4. Draft easements, use agreements, HOA documents (a sub-specialty sometimes), license agreements, common area maintenance agreements
5. Research matters, such what runs with the land, what perfects adverse possession, rights to incorporeal hereditaments such as light and view, remedies for landlocked parcels, the legal result of meandering and avulsing river flow channels, water rights, subsidence and drainage issues, etc.
5. Negotiating and drafting entitlement agreements with local governments.
6. Zoning issues, and the right or lack thereof to variances therefrom.
7. Partition rights or lack thereof
8. Development issues in redevelopment districts, and for properties on historical registers.
9. Section 8 housing issues for rentals.
10. Environmental issues, and in particular EIR and hazardous waste issues and investigations.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #398 on: June 26, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

I viewed a flat last week, liked it and applied for it. Today I got a phone call and was informed that I will get the flat. It's in the medieval old town of Zurich, and since apartments like these are rare and very popular I am surprised and thrilled (there were about 80 other people who viewed the apartment on the same day).

In other words, this is what my future neighborhood looks like.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #399 on: June 26, 2013, 04:42:18 PM »

Leaving in 20 minutes for dinner at a BBQ joint and than off to the concert of a lifetime-Bob Dylan at Americanarama. I couldn't sleep last night due to excitment.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 44  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies