Favourite latest post by previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 04:53:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favourite latest post by previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 56
Author Topic: Favourite latest post by previous poster  (Read 92127 times)
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: March 31, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »

Considering "Islamism" by definition means imposing their religion's values on society at large, that for sure. Though Islamic PEOPLE are not a threat to freedom, Islamism as an ideology clearly is worse than Adelson. He's just second fiddle to the Kochs anyway.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #276 on: March 31, 2014, 04:37:55 AM »

They're for government big enough to invade your country and small enough to fit in your cervix.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #277 on: March 31, 2014, 05:20:30 AM »

Not sure if that fits in here, but I was playing around with Géoclip (the thing that comes closest to DRA for France) and realized I could very easily gerrymander my city of residence (which voted 55% Sarkozy) into a 57% Hollande parliamentary constituency. All this without having to split any municipality and without even making it too ugly! Cheesy

For those who wonder, my city (Vélizy) is the easternmost edge of that area. The big left-voting cities of Guyancourt and Trappes are on the western side. Tongue

The population is 3.4% over its ideal size, which is perfectly fine by French standards.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #278 on: March 31, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »

Leading off:

NC-12/NC-09/Charlotte Mayor: The Charlotte City Council could choose a replacement for ex-Mayor Patrick Cannon by tonight. There doesn't seem to be a clear frontrunner:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The three choices that conventional wisdom points to are State Sen. Dan Codfelter, ex-Councilman Smuggie Mitchell and ex-County Commish Jennifer Watson Roberts. Obviously, note that selections do not necessarily have to be currently serving on the council.

Mitchell is currently running for CD12. He has hinted that he would leave the crowded CD12 race for the appointment. Without him, the race could potentially evolve into a two-person contest between Malcolm Graham and Alma Adams.

My choice, both personally and from the position of a Democratic strategist, would be Roberts. She was on the county commission from 2004 to 2012 and is respected in the Charlotte political community.

Though I wrote Watson off when she ran for NC-09 in 2012, she ran far ahead of the other Democrats. After years of Myrick landslides, she held Pittenger to just 6 points. When Pittenger retires (could well be within the next 10 years, as he's 65) this district will almost certainly be more competitive. Having Charlotte mayor on her resume, and everything that goes with it, would really help Watson if she ran again.

NC-Sen: One of the leaders of the 'Women for Tillis' coalition was a founder of NC's Planned Parenthood headquarters. Probably not a big story, but I can see Harris, and to a slightly lesser degree Brannon, bring this up later.

NC-Sen/NC-02: Aiken and Hagan spoke at the NC Young Democrats Convention in Greenville.

NC-12: Profile of George Battle. He has an impressive resume, with a career in the school and hospital system. I'd place him at the top of the second tier in this race.

LA-06: In its series on this race, the LSU Reveille interviews Trey Thomas (R). Thomas was a football player at LSU but now runs a nonprofit which helps troubled families get access to counseling and education. A black Republican, he's also emphasizing minority outreach.

More LA-06: Going on with his 'new generation' theme, Dietzel is out with some proposals for Congressional ethics reform. With his background in technology and campaign fundraising, Dietzel brings some expertise to the table here.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #279 on: March 31, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »

Dear lord, Bushie's walk score is 3? I can't even fathom what that's like. My cottage which doesn't even get cell service has a higher walk score.

Also,

If Mexico Joe's sells Mexican food, and Joeseppi's sells Italian food, does that mean Eskimo Joe's sells Inuit food? Like seal blubber? I wonder if such a restaurant could do well here, we do have a small Inuit population.

Indeed, they specialize in native Inuit meals, like:

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #280 on: March 31, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »

I think it is mostly a matter of perception. Cochran isn’t a fire breather like Ted Cruz or a fanatic like Paul Broun, but he is still pro-life, for lower taxes, less regulation and a strong national defense. So the difference on the issues is probably not that big. I guess that McDaniel’s supporters want someone who appears to be angrier and more uncompromising.

I really hope Cochran defeats McDaniel. First of all because Cochran appears to have done much good for his state, in bringing a lot of federal money to Mississippi. Second of all because this intra-party feud must stop at some point. The Tea Party movement has already cost the GOP 4-5 seats in the Senate. 
Well, having no idea what the Tea Party was certainly didn't help Cochran either and further expands McDaniel's argument that Cochran has lost touch with the voters of Mississippi and like we're seeing in places like Kentucky and Kansas, it's the old, conservative generation vs. the new, crazy generation and this race and McConnell v. Bevin, Roberts v. Wolf will determine what Republicans would prefer more.

If McDaniel wins the primary, we'll see plenty of Democratic groups throwing money into here to help Childers out and considering the low turnout Childers will get from MS-2, this will put him at an even smaller advantage of winning (despite maybe winning the 3 coastal counties because of McDaniel's gaffes), but if Cochran pulls this out, then I would presume Childers would drop out? If that was the case then, obviously no sane national Democrat would help out Bill Marcy then against Cochran. For the offensive, we should just focus on KY and GA and stay out of here. Maybe we could contest the seat in 2020 if Cochran finally steps down by then. He would be 82 in 2020, so there's a good chance Cochran does retire that year and then we can get a liberal to run for the seat.

1. His old district is mostly MS-1, so that should be good for GOTV efforts there
2. Childers is not going to drop out, who puts in so much effort, winning their respected primary, and doesn't go to election day?
3. No liberal will win Mississippi in this day and age
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #281 on: April 01, 2014, 01:35:59 AM »

Clinton/Castro: 272
Christie/Mead: 266
Sanders/Gephardt: 0
270 to win

Or Clinton/Kitzhaber; hard to know who Bernie Sanders would take as his running mate. If Al Gore endorsed Clinton and for other reasons Dick Gephardt might run for Vice President.

Good on Christie for picking Mead.  Can't let a genuine swing state like Wyoming get out of his hands.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #282 on: April 01, 2014, 04:28:19 AM »

"Sociopath," along with "neoliberal" and "fascist," is just another big word nobody understands.  I wouldn't mind seeing it banned, at this point.

Wait, you mean all of those words don't just refer to anything I hate? Huh
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #283 on: April 01, 2014, 04:31:54 AM »

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #284 on: April 01, 2014, 10:51:51 AM »

Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #285 on: April 01, 2014, 11:16:24 AM »

He exists, and is a representative of the Northeast Region.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #286 on: April 01, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »

Baseball is one of the most boring things I have ever seen, at least on a walk I can browse the internet or listen to music.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #287 on: April 01, 2014, 12:26:16 PM »

No (obviously). Republicans are guilty of the social engineering and overreach that they bald-facedly accuse Democrats of, when they legislate morality or try to institute religion into government. They'll scream about government poking around in their wallet but have no problem with government in the bedroom or in a woman's vagina.

And no, the Tea Party is not for small government either. They don't understand how the government works, or where Medicare and Social Security come from (and who created them), or how much PBS and Foreign Aid are as a part of the federal budget, or who was originally responsible for the War in Afghanistan and the debt and deficits. They're just a bunch of angry ignorant xenophobic entitled people who don't know why they're angry.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #288 on: April 01, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »

Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #289 on: April 01, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »

Ah, another anti-Republican circle jerk thread. We clearly need more of those...
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #290 on: April 01, 2014, 05:39:12 PM »

Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #291 on: April 01, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #292 on: April 01, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #293 on: April 01, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »

Here's a picture of a cat because freedom of speech

Please direct any questions about this post to the Constitution.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #294 on: April 01, 2014, 06:29:36 PM »

quote author=ChairmanSanchez link=topic=190211.msg4114143#msg4114143 date=1396392275]
Clinton, easily. I'm not a fan of Kaine, but just from considering the top of the ticket, Hillary > Bush > Johnson > Schweitzer.

Really? Name one issue that Johnson is closer to you on than Schweitzer.
Hes just pissed because Schweitzer is refuses to give up his retirement to hold a Senate seat. Its all emotion and little reason.
[/quote]
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »

Clarence, this is a mean April Fools Day prank.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2014, 08:03:40 PM »

Terrible President.  Massive HP.

excelsus
« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2014, 07:39:04 PM »

You should make this same map for only the last four and then another for the last two and we can see how it compares.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #299 on: April 02, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »

Thanks for that interesting link, but it won't help me unless I know which house districts belong to which boroughs. (Not to mention potential overlaps between districts and boroughs.)

It just seems like the Alaskan government consists of sadists who enjoy tormenting respectable mapmakers and political statisticians.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 56  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies