2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 05:28:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 66
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Election and Beyond: The Giuliani Years (GAME THREAD)  (Read 155639 times)
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 11:45:22 PM »

Kucinich 2004: Peace, Justice, Equality

September 3, 2003: Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) made the following speech earlier in Cleveland, Ohio:

This election year, you will have a distinct choice. George W. Bush brought us into war in the Middle East. We were united like never before on September 11, but what we have seen since then is the greatest division since Vietnam. Our President may have given in to the pressure, but his Republican colleagues are eager hawks as ever and they're scrambling to pick up where he has left off. America deserves to be on a better path than just warmongering, though. As John Lennon once said, "Give peace a chance." Instead of continuing a war that was a mistake from the beginning, let's stop wasting tax dollars and letting our troops be in harm's way. We need to rethink our foreign policy and set standards that gives respect to other nations and that creates alliances, not more animosity.

Here in my hometown of Cleveland, I see businesses and factories close down and being shipped abroad, and it's truly disheartening. The working class in this country are feeling the pinch while the fat cats in Wall Street have been enjoying their tax breaks and have felt no pain. All too often Washington overlooks the poor and the middle class and focus their attention on the people who finance their campaigns. There needs to be a voice in the White House that will stand up for the little guy. The American people need to be reassured in knowing that their President will fight for their interests and not the interests of some wealthy bankers.

I am running for President of the United States to make a true change and to set a clear path forward for leadership. I have been by far the most consistent on the issues compared to my colleagues. While my fellow Democrats voted with the Republicans to invade Iraq, I knew it was a mistake from the beginning and I never backed down from opposing disastrous war policies. I oppose any cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and other entitlement programs that have benefited so many Americans even during hard times. I have fought for universal healthcare throughout my time in Congress so that we can keep up with all of the other industrialized nations of the world and ensure that no one in this country goes by without coverage. Even when all the odds are against us, I will not give in. I've been underestimated before, but I have proven my opponents greatly wrong. Now, on this latest journey, I need the support of my fellow Americans so we can once again lead ourselves to a better future. Thank you.
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 07:19:59 AM »

Well screw you to Dennis! (He's holding up two fingers, it means f**k you in the UK) Tongue
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2014, 05:56:25 AM by NHI »

Prologue:

President Bush faced souring criticism over the War in Iraq and with a fragile economy at home he decided against running for reelection.

"My fellow Americans it has been a great honor and privilege to serve as your President. Over the past three years our nation's has endured trying times, but we've also seen great hope for our nation. We find ourselves in two wars, fighting for freedom. The fight is far from over, but I am confident in the end the forces of good and right will prevail. In this time of war I must put all my energy into our effort so that we are successful. It with this thought that I have reached the decision that I will not be a candidate for President of the United States in the 2004 election. May God Bless you and may God continue to bless America."

George W. Bush's decision to forgo reelection opened up the race for the White House. It was many believed at first to be a shoe-in for the GOP, gave the Democratic Party hope; while for Republicans, they looked to rally around the candidate that could successfully succeed Bush.

On the Republican side many candidates lined up for the nomination including the President's brother and Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush. In addition to Bush's campaign, New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and Donald Rumsfeld entered the race. Colorado Governor Bill Owens looked to be a dark horse. New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson looked to re-found his party and conservative activist and commentator Pat Buchanan both threw their hats into the ring.

On the Democrats Senator Joe Biden declared his second run for the Presidency, after his failed attempt in 1988. Senator John Edwards entered the race, looking to combat poverty and break through the pack in a field that did not include a clear frontrunner. Other candidates included General Wesley Clark and Rep. Dennis Kucinich both hoping to find their moment in the primary.

The entrance of Hillary Clinton and Al Gore shook up the Democratic Race, with boy vying for the spot of frontrunner.

At the start of the race Bush's approval rating stood at 49 percent, with a disapproval rating of 44 percent.

Endorsements: Democrats
-Dennis Kucinich: Frm. Sen. George McGovern, Gore Vidal and The American Civil Liberties Union
-Joe Biden: Frm. Gov. Mario Cuomo, United Automobile Workers
-Jeanne Shaheen: NARAL, National Education Association, IA Senate President Pan Jochum
-Hillary Clinton: Frm. Pres. Bill Clinton and Emily's List and Sen. Chuck Schumer
-Al Gore: Center for American Progress and Frm. Gov. Mike Dukakis

Endorsements: Republicans
-Gary Johnson: Rep. Ron Paul, Gov. Jesse Ventura
-Bill Owens: Bob Perry, T. Boone Pickens, Chamber of Commerce, Mitt Romney
-Rudy Giuliani: Gov. George Pataki and Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
-Donald Rumsfeld: Vice Pres. Dick Cheney
-Pat Buchanan: Senator Bob Smith, Rev. Jerry Fallwell

Please PM me for Endorsements. The results from the Iowa Straw Poll will be announced once the field has been set.

First Week of Campaigning: September 7-13th
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »

Could I join in with Fmr. Gov. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2014, 10:13:39 AM »

Could I join in with Fmr. Gov. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)?
Yes, you can.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »

I know NYE said he wanted to be Clinton, but if it's still free, I would like to have it.
If not, could I join in with Al Gore? (If Clinton is still free, please Clinton, though.)
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »

I know NYE said he wanted to be Clinton, but if it's still free, I would like to have it.
If not, could I join in with Al Gore? (If Clinton is still free, please Clinton, though.)
If I don't here back from NYE, you can be Hillary, otherwise I'll put you down as Gore.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 02:10:51 PM »

Note:

I will close the filing deadline at 6:00 pm. EST.
The first week of campaigning will be Sept. 7-13.
I will close the first round on Tuesday at 10 pm EST.
The polling and the next round will go by Wednesday, Thursday at the latest.

Thanks.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »

Six/seven democrats and six republicans? I think one more candidate for each party would be perfect to begin the game!
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2014, 03:35:52 PM by Assemblyman Riley Keaton »

Owens For President Tour

Schedule:

Sept. 7
-Tour Factory in Iowa, meet workers and shake hands
-Meet with local Republican activists, invite to dinner on Sept. 10th
-Barnstorm Des Moines suburbs, pass out invitations to dinner on Sept. 10th
-Speak to Des Moines University Student Government about civic engagement
-Speech in front of a different factory, distribute flyers to attendees and factory workers
-Organize Des Moines office

The Owens Plan to Rebuild American Factories flyer

As President, Governor Owens will:
     -Cut red tape that keeps companies from bringing jobs home
     -Enact a tax holiday for all new factories built in the US
     -Employer payroll tax holiday on new employees to encourage hiring
     -Provide factory workers with tax relief to make life easier for them and their families

In Colorado, Governor Owens provided tax relief to hardworking families by cutting sales taxes and income taxes. He helped families that live paycheck to check stretch that paycheck a bit farther. He made life easier on working families and spurred investment and growth by cutting taxes on investment. Bill Owens believes in American manufacturing. He believes in American prosperity.

Sept. 8
-Barnstorm rural Iowa, pass out campaign literature
-Interview will small-town newspaper on jobs and the economy
-Roundtable with rural Chambers of Commerce and small business owners
-Promote employer tax holiday aspect of manufacturing plan to business owners
-Make arrangements for business owners to be bused into Sept. 10 dinner
-Go live with TV ads

Restore
Bill, unemployed factory worker: You know, times are tough for factory workers like me. Not just here in Iowa, but across America. I lost my job a while ago when our plant shut down and I've been out of work ever since. I worry about my family and my kids' future. That's why I'm voting for Governor Bill Owens. He has a plan to put American manufacturing back on the right path. His plan will create jobs, lower taxes, and rebuild our manufacturing sector. I hope you'll help him by supporting him in our first in the nation caucuses.

Bill Owens: My name is Bill Owens and I approve this message.

Built This Country
Bill Owens: Hi, I'm Bill Owens and I'm running for President. This country was built on hard work and entrepreneurship. As governor of Colorado, I cut taxes, spurred economic growth, and made life better for middle class families. Our dedication and strong conservative principles built this country, and those are the things that will make us strong in the future. So, I'm asking for your support in the Iowa Caucuses. I'm Bill Owens, I'm running for President, and I approve this message.

Each ad is a $60,000 buy.

Sept. 9
-Barnstorming more of rural Iowa
-Speaking at crowded diners about rebuilding America
-Roundtable with more small business owners
-Mail out 600 invitations to Sept. 10th dinner
-Church with family at a large, but rural church, stay for a bit and chat with people
-Turn in early so the Governor is well rested for the 10th

Sept. 10
-Late rise
-Rally growing number of volunteers at Des Moines office
-Phone calls to targeted primary voters
-Conference call with big donors from Texas, California, New York
-Lunch with volunteers
-More phone calls
-Nap before dinner
-Dinner.

Event: Bill Owens for President Launch Event
Attendance: 1,200 people
Meal: Chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, etc.
Keynote: Governor Owens

Excerpt from keynote:

"[...] In this room, my friends, is an assembly of patriots. We love our country. We want our country to be strong. Strong economically, militarily, and morally. That is what our common interest is. I believe that my new strategy abroad, my economic plan at home, and my strong conservative convictions make me the best candidate for the job of keeping our country great. I hope that you all will support me as we go forward with our positive conservative vision of America.[...]"

Sept. 11
-9/11 Memorial Service
-Speak at local community group
-Speak to charitable board about faith-based initiative
-Meeting with new volunteers after previous night's dinner
-Memorial Service

Excerpt from  "Why I am Supporting Owens"
[...] When I heard Governor Owens speak, I knew that he could do what was right for families here in Iowa and all across America. We don't need some tax and spend liberal getting elected in the fall and if there is one thing that Bill Owens convinced me of last night it's not just that he's a solid conservative. I think he can beat them, too. [...]

Sept. 12
-Fly to Manchester
-Barnstorm Manchester and suburbs
-Roundtable with small business owners
-Speak at a campaign event on jobs and the economy

Excerpt from Event Speech
"New Hampshire can consider itself lucky. You all don't have to deal with a sales taxes or state income tax. But the majority of the country is not so fortunate. In Colorado, I worked to cut taxes for middle class families while continuing to devote ourselves to economic growth.

I've laid out a plan to rebuild American manufacturing. This plan is reliant as well on the reconstruction of our roads and bridges. I believe that the federal government needs to get its house in order and put taxpayer dollars where they belong. I think we should commit ourselves to infrastructure, but not by raising taxes. We should be smart with our money to grow our economy and rebuild our infrastructure. [...]"

Sept. 13
-Church with family
-Visit 3 restaurants to mix with the Sunday crowd
-Day of rest

Infrastructure

Des Moines Office:
-Hire Full-Time Field Director for Iowa
-Purchase 25 phones with data-entry capability
-Hire 4 part time Regional Field Directors by dividing Iowa into quarters
-Collected over 100 hours of time-pledges(how much of their time they give us) from volunteers
-Purchased very large volume of targeting data
-Paid for focus groups to test two dozen ads, the next dozen to be released have been determined effective

Manchester Office:
-Hire Full-Time Field Director
-Purchase 10 phones with data-entry
-Hire Two Regional Field Directors, one for each Congressional District
-Focus grouped 4 successful ads
-Purchase huge volume of moderate quality targeting data

Augusta(Maine) Office:
-Hire Full Time Field Director
-Allocate $150,000 for Field Director to hire staff to out-organize opponents
-Purchase 10 phones w/out data entry
-Purchase small amount of high-value targeting data

Columbia Office:
-Set up $150,000 hiring budget for Field Director to start winning the state
-Work with local activists to build volunteer base
-Purchase 20 phones w/out data entry
-Purchase moderate volume of moderate quality targeting data

Reno Office:
-Allocate $150,000 for Field Director to hire staff to out-organize opponents
-Purchase 10 phones w/out data entry
-Purchase small amount of high-value targeting data

Campaign Finance Report:
-Small donors gave $200,000+
-Endorsers T. Boone Pickens and Bob Perry have bundled significant resources, contributed significant amounts themselves
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 04:18:43 PM »

Surrogate: Mitt Romney

Sept. 7
-Rallies across New Hampshire
-Court the Ripon Society
-Fly to Iowa
-Introduction before Manufacturing Speech

Sept. 8
-Work with Governor Owens
-Participate in the roundtable with small business
-Attend local Chamber of Commerce meeting
-Radio talk in support of Governor Owens

Sept. 9
-Travel to major donors in New York, California
-Cocktail circuit, invite donors to the Sept. 10th function

Sept. 10
-Day being Governor
-Introduction at Dinner

Sept. 11
-Day being Governor

Sept. 12
-Barnstorming New Hampshire, talking up Owens
-Use targeting data to go barnstorm "Lean Giuliani" precincts

Sept. 13
-Service with Ann and the boys
-Spend the day on the trail promoting Owens
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 04:41:48 PM »

Rumsfeldmania! - Prologue:
(Or, manipulating the news cycle)

1.- Resignation:

Washington DC, September 7th, 2003:
A few days after Secretary Rumsfeld's announcement, and with his campaign ready to launch, the Secretary has chosen to resign as Secretary of Defense in order to pursue his campaign in a truly active way. Sources claim that President Bush was unhappy with the request, but he chose to accept, thus making Paul Wolfowitz the next Secretary of Defense.

"Few will forget the image of Don Rumsfeld as he helped rescue workers carry the victims from the rubble of the Pentagon on September the 11th, 2001," Bush said. "In the weeks that followed, he directed the effect to plan our nation's military response to an unprecedented attack on our soil. Under his leadership, U.S. and coalition forces launched one of the most innovative military campaigns in the history of modern warfare. But now, after a series of thoughtful conversations, Secretary Rumsfeld and I agreed that the time had come for new leadership at the Pentagon, and he desires to pursue higher office. Don Rumsfeld has been a superb leader during a time of change, and yet he also appreciates the value of bringing in a fresh perspective during a critical period in this war. I trust his deputy, Paul Wolfowitz, will do a great job in continuing the reconstruction of Iraq and the War on Terror, and while I will certainly miss Don, I wish him the best of luck in this future endeavours."

2.- The Team:

Rumsfeld Campaign Team

Campaign Manager: Jay Townsend
Deputy Campaign Manager: Dee Steward
Senior Strategists: Bernard Windon and Richard Williamson.
Campaign Treasurer: Ned Janotta
Press Secretary: Anne Womack-Kolton
Pollster: Glen Bolger
Economic Advisor: Jude Wanniski

With the Republican Field beginning to organize and with the massive hiring of consultants across the nation, Secretary Rumsfeld has not wasted his time. He is really aware that his bid in 1988 failed due to his campaign being a disorganized mess, and despite his age, “Rummy” seems determined to give it all. Knowing that if he wants to win he has to be 24/7 on the trail, he submitted his resignation to President Bush and left Defense on the hands of his protégé, Paul Wolfowitz. In order to match the political machines of his rivals, Rumsfeld has gathered a team of loyalists from his old days, some White House allies and new rising stars in the party. Rumsfeld decided to hire veteran consultant Jay Townsend to lead the campaign. He also brought Ben Windon, Ned Janotta and Richard Williams (old friends from his time at Searle), Glen Bolger, Dee Steward and Anne Womack-Kolton (young but promising figures) and his old ally Jude Wanniski. The Rumsfeld Team is a mixture of “has-beens” and “unknowns”, and it remains to be seen if they can actually handle such a hard primary.

3.- An Old Friendship:

Washington DC, September 8th, 2003:
With Donald Rumsfeld almost ready to take on the campaign trail, he has recieved his first (and hopefully not last) endorsement of the primary: his old friend and ally, Vice-President Dick Cheney. Both men held a joint press conference in which they spoke of the need to "stay the course" in Iraq, and Vice-President Cheney stressed that Rumsfeld is by far the most experienced candidate. Cheney is expected to lend Rumsfeld some of his assets, which might prove crucial in the long term.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2014, 04:57:57 PM »

Is there going to be a specific campaign thread or should we just start posting?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2014, 05:09:44 PM »

Is there going to be a specific campaign thread or should we just start posting?
Just start posting.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »

The filing deadline is now closed. The game has officially begun!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2014, 05:46:18 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Patrick Buchanan Campaign Schedule: September 7th-September 13th, 2003.

September 7th:
-Staff meeting in Washington, DC. Final hirings completed.

Patrick Buchanan Staff:

Campaign Manager: Bay Buchanan   
Political Director: Doug Wead
Campaign Treasurer: Scott Mackenzie
Press Secretary: Bob Adams
Communications Director: Linda Muller

September 8th:
-Travel to Manchester, New Hampshire.
-Open a campaign office in Manchester.
-Hire ten field organizers for each county in New Hampshire.
-Prepare announcement speech.

September 9th:
-Pat and Shelley spend the day resting ahead of the announcement.
-Minor changes made to announcement speech.
-Staff furnishes office.
-Campaign website created, not yet listed online.

September 10th:
-Press release for Pat’s “big announcement” in Nashua, New Hampshire released.
-A thousand fliers inviting pinned Buchanan supporters from 1996 and 2000 to the announcement is mailed out.
-Private dinner with twenty or so supporters and donors from prior campaigns in Nashua.

September 11th:
-Campaign announcement in Nashua (see prior post for the speech).
-Visit workers at a Nashua textile mill, speech about NAFTA and American-Chinese trade relation.
-Rally in Concord, New Hampshire.
-Attend a 9/11 Remembrance Mass at St. Joseph Cathedral in Manchester.

September 12th:
-Flight to Des Moines, Iowa.
-Opening a campaign office in Des Moines, Iowa.
-Rally in Ames, Iowa, with Reverend Jerry Falwell.

“My fellow Christians of Iowa, I beseech you to give this man your support. Patrick Buchanan is the candidate who stands for the biblical values that have built this nation and our society. He has consistently stood up for life! He has consistently stood up for the sanctity of marriage! He has consistently stood up for morality in public discourse. Friends, he is our boy in the ring, and we must stand tall behind his candidacy, so we can return America to it's Christian values!

September 13th:
-Appearing on NBC’s “Meet the Press” via satellite.
-Attending Mass in Ames, Iowa.
-Rally in Des Moines, Iowa.
-Rally in Waterloo, Iowa.
-Flight to Washington DC.
-Strategy session at campaign headquarters in Washington, DC.
-Remainder of the evening spent resting at the Buchanan residence in DC.

Note: Bob Smith endorsement will be announced next turn.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 05:48:54 PM »

Looking at the official calendar for the GOP primaries, I noticed that there are a lot of caucuses (often lasting about a month). Is the primary schedule going to be different than OTL?
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2014, 07:13:25 PM by Governor Spiral »

Dennis Kucinich Campaign Schedule: September 7-13

September 7
-Meet and Greet in Goffstown, NH
-Meet and Greet in Jaffrey, NH
-Meet and Greet in Farmington, NH
-Meet and Greet in Plymouth, NH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Concord, NH

Where have been the so-called weapons of mass destruction that we've heard so much about from the administration and from the media? After invading Iraq and toppling Saddam Hussein's regime you would have thought that we would be able to track them down by now, but that's not the case at all. Let's face it, America: we've been duped. These wars haven't been fought just for the sake of our national security like they claim. The defense contractors and the oil companies are loving what they see right now. It's time to kick out the bums in office and elect an honest government.

September 8
-Meet and Greet in Suncook, NH
-Town Hall in Berlin, NH
-Town Hall in Claremont, NH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Dover, NH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Nashua, NH

September 9
-Town Hall in Lebanon, NH
-Town Hall in Portsmouth, NH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Rochester, NH
-Rally and Fundraiser in Manchester, NH
-Interview on Hardball with Chris Matthews

Chris, I'm running to win. I have a plan for America that I know will be a much better path to take than the one we're on right now. What has been the record of George Bush and the Republicans? More war, more debt, less peace, and less prosperity. Not only are we waging wars under questionable circumstances, but our economy at home has been showing signs of decline and the average Joe has been feeling all of the pain with that. Our politicians have been making reckless calls over the last few years and it troubles me. What you need to do is bring in leaders who have track records of being earnest. There hasn't been a day in my life of public service where I haven't been thinking about my constituents at home. How will the decisions I make in Congress affect my neighbors in Cleveland and elsewhere? It's about time for some fresh blood in the White House, and you'll get that with a Kucinich presidency.

September 10
-Town Hall in Los Lunas, NM
-Town Hall in Gallup, NM
-Rally and Fundraiser in Roswell, NM
-Rally and Fundraiser in Las Cruces, NM
-Rally and Fundraiser in Albuquerque, NM

September 11
-Meet and Greet in New Town, ND
-Meet and Greet in Harvey, ND
-Rally and Fundraiser in Grand Forks, ND
-Rally and Fundraiser in Bismarck, ND
-Rally and Fundraiser in Fargo, ND
-Attending 9/11 memorial service in Cleveland, OH

It's now been two years since that tragic day where we lost more than three thousand lives. I can't remember another time in my life where we were as closely knit as a nation as we were on that day. All of us were hoping that we would never have to face another terrorist attack like that on American soil again. Unfortunately, we've had some very bad policy sprout up as a result of 9/11. The Bush administration launched their global War on Terror which has only contributed to the problem of terrorism, not put a stop to it. We have drawn more ire from Middle Eastern nations than ever before with our meddling in their region, and it's about time to take a new path. No more interventions, no more nation-building, no more war!

September 12
-Town Hall in Sanford, ME
-Town Hall in Brunswick, ME
-Town Hall in Saco, ME
-Rally and Fundraiser in Lewiston, ME
-Rally and Fundraiser in Portland, ME

September 13
-Rally and Fundraiser in Iowa City, IA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Sioux City, IA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Davenport, IA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Cedar Rapids, IA
-Rally and Fundraiser in Des Moines, IA

Hello, Iowa! You'll be seeing more of me these upcoming months. I'm traveling all across the country, spreading the message of peace and prosperity. While we've been using your tax dollars to bomb bridges in Iraq and Afghanistan, we've had nothing left to repair and expand the bridges right here at home. Our infrastructure is crumbling by the day. Not since the days of Eisenhower have we made any serious attempts to improve how we travel. That will change with a Kucinich administration. Our defense spending has gone drastically up while we've ignored other sectors like healthcare and education. It's time to start caring about home, folks, rather than countries on the opposite side of the world.

Kucinich Endorsements

George McGovern: In 1972 I was blessed to be the Democratic nominee for President. I waged the battle right on the issues and nothing else. While Nixon deceived the people and was involved in more militarism, I represented an opportunity for America to really end its endless wartime adventures. We didn't win that battle, but the experience of Vietnam changed the nation and has made us more skeptical of our leaders. Now in the 21st century, we're facing a new war with Iraq, and I've seen one person stand out from the rest in opposition: Dennis Kucinich. He deserves your vote if you wish to see peace.

Gore Vidal: For years I have written about the escapades of the United States military. We are seeing parallels with the expansionism of the old Roman Empire, and its eventual downfall. I fear without drastic changes that America will end up like Rome in due time. Dennis Kucinich is the candidate I see who represents a true break from the status quo with both Republicans and Democrats. He understands that we are on an unstable path, and his solutions are the best for this country and for the whole international community.

American Civil Liberties Union: After reviewing the records of all the prospective presidential candidates, Congressman Dennis Kucinich easily stands out as the strongest advocate for civil liberties across the board. A consistent anti-war voice, Congressman Kucinich has opposed the expansion of federal power with such measures as the PATRIOT Act. While the first and fourth amendments have been under attack in recent years, Kucinich has boldly stood against the erosion of constitutional rights for citizens. We here at the ACLU enthusiastically endorse the Kucinich campaign.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 06:00:05 PM »

Looking at the official calendar for the GOP primaries, I noticed that there are a lot of caucuses (often lasting about a month). Is the primary schedule going to be different than OTL?
Yes, expect an abridged calendar, possibly following in conjuncture with the Democrats in 2004.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 06:10:22 PM »

Yes, expect an abridged calendar, possibly following in conjuncture with the Democrats in 2004.
That would be more than fine with me.
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 06:49:55 PM »

Kucinich 2004 Staff

Campaign manager: Gary Kucinich
Deputy campaign manager: David Bright
Field operations: Marcos Rubinstein
Campaign spokesperson: Andy Juniewicz
Media operations: Chad Ely
Campaign treasurer: Donald J. McTigue

Campaign Strategy

Knowing that he is an underdog in the Democratic primaries, Congressman Kucinich will spend an intense amount of time on the ground in various primary states, communicating with voters one-on-one and building a strong and cohesive grassroots organization that will turn out to vote for him. Fundraisers will be conjoined with rallies as part of an effort to make up for the lack of a wide donor base in contrast to Kucinich's higher polling rivals. In addition, there will be a strong emphasis on the Internet, and the campaign will coordinate regular "moneybombs" on the official website and build up an extensive list of supporters through email and social media.

Rather than solely devoting resources to the earliest states of Iowa and New Hampshire to gain momentum, the Kucinich campaign will focus much attention on strengthening numbers and organization in future primaries, such as Ohio, New Mexico, Maine, Michigan, Hawaii, etc. This will ensure long-term viability to keep Congressman Kucinich as a viable contender for the whole primary season by being competitive in a number of states, working on them ahead of the other Democratic contestants. Advertisements for television and radio will be regularly featured on the airwaves of these primaries. Other outlets such as print, direct mail, the Internet, etc. are also to be utilized to promote the campaign.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »

Rumsfeldmania! - Stage One:

"If you look at the current field, you are going to see quite a good number of candidates, some of them new, some of them not so new, like myself (grins). You have Governor Bush and Mayor Giuliani in the top tier, then you have Buchanan, Owens and Johnson in a second tier. I honestly don't know where do I belong, but I trust the polls will be kind to me once they are released. And I can assure you this: I plan to compete everywhere. This is not a fight that should be resolved in two or three states, I honestly want to tour the entire country so all Republicans can decided on whom they want as their nominee. I don't mean to brag here, but you certainly can't overlook my experience."

September 7th:
-Cleaning House/Washington DC:
 -Final Press Conference as Secretary of Defense.
 -Goodbye Party with staff, final meeting with President Bush.
 -Opening of Rumsfeld HQ in Washington DC.
 -First Strategy Meeting with Campaign Team.
  -Choosing a strategy: Build a national network before going to the ground.
  -Hiring more staffers for the National HQ.
  -Meeting with George Schultz and Frank Carlucci.
  -Discussing the creation of a website.

September 8th:
-Cleaning House II/Washington DC:
 -Joint Press Conference with Vice-President Cheney (formal endorsement).
 -Second Strategy Meeting with Campaign Team:
  -Website to be launched next week.
  -Donors already called, meetings set up for the following days.
  -Hiring former Cheney staffers and advisers.
 -Fly to New York City, NY.

September 9th:
-Fundraising I:
 -Meeting with donors in New York City, discussing Giuliani with them.
 -Fly to Philadelphia, meeting with Pennsylvania donors.
 -Fly to Columbus, meeting with Ohio donors.
 -Fly to Chicago, meeting with Illinois donors.
 -Fly to New Hampshire, hire the first NH staffers, preprare the inauguration of the HQ.

September 10th:
-New Hampshire, I:
 -Opening of New Hampshire HQ in Manchester, NH.
 -Tour of Manchester, greeting voters across the city.
 -Rally in Manchester, NH. (Speech on the beginning of the race)
 -Meeting with Republican officers and consultants.
 -Dinner with New Hampshire donors.

September 11th:
-Fundraising II:
 -Fly to New Orleans, meeting with Louisiana donors.
 -Fly to Dallas, meeting with Texas donors.
 -Fly to Atlanta, meeting with Georgia donors.
 -Return to National HQ in Washington DC, go to 9/11 ceremony at Arlington Cemetery.

September 12th:
-New Hampshire, II:
 -Opening of a new office in Nashua, NH.
 -Barnstorming Nashua, NH.
 -Opening of a new office in Concord, NH.
 -Barnstorming Concord, NH.
 -Town Hall in Salem, NH.
 -Town Hall in Berlin, NH.

September 13th:
-Preparing the Caucuses:
 -Meeting with volunteers and Republican officers in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
 -Meeting with volunteers and Republican officers in Juneau, Alaska.
 -Meeting with volunteers and Republican officers in Augusta, Maine.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

Kucinich 2004 Staff

Campaign Strategy

Knowing that he is an underdog in the Democratic primaries, Congressman Kucinich will spend an intense amount of time on the ground in various primary states, communicating with voters one-on-one and building a strong and cohesive grassroots organization that will turn out to vote for him. Fundraisers will be conjoined with rallies as part of an effort to make up for the lack of a wide donor base in contrast to Kucinich's higher polling rivals. In addition, there will be a strong emphasis on the Internet, and the campaign will coordinate regular "moneybombs" on the official website and build up an extensive list of supporters through email and social media.

Rather than solely devoting resources to the earliest states of Iowa and New Hampshire to gain momentum, the Kucinich campaign will focus much attention on strengthening numbers and organization in future primaries, such as Ohio, New Mexico, Maine, Michigan, Hawaii, etc. This will ensure long-term viability to keep Congressman Kucinich as a viable contender for the whole primary season by being competitive in a number of states, working on them ahead of the other Democratic contestants. Advertisements for television and radio will be regularly featured on the airwaves of these primaries. Other outlets such as print, direct mail, the Internet, etc. are also to be utilized to promote the campaign.

OOC; I thought Joe Trippi be your would campaign manager, he seems to like campaigns like yours..
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »

Kucinich 2004 Staff

Campaign Strategy

OOC; I thought Joe Trippi be your would campaign manager, he seems to like campaigns like yours..
Actually, I haven't thought of Trippi. I'll have him be a senior strategist of mine.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2014, 08:14:02 PM »

George Allen for President? Donors say yes!

Washington D.C. -- Looking at the field, there is a lot of ideological difference: You see neo-conservatives, you see moderates, you see conservatives, and you see libertarians. What you don't see, somewhat ironically considering Bush's campaign, is compassionate conservatism. With a strong democratic field forming, conservatives are worrying who can lead them forward, and not seeing too many answers in the field. For this reason, millionaire donors are calling for Senator George Allen to step into the field. An anonymous Republican donor told us; "We want a slam dunk, and we don't see that in the current field."

Senator Allen has given many indications that he would think about a run, but seemed more hesitant than the rest of the field. His responses were usually either a strong 'no' or a gravely doubtful consideration. However, with more and more people both in the base and donors calling for his run, many of his staffers are saying that he's considering it more deeply now. An anonymous Allen staffer has told us; "Allen has talked to party leaders in Iowa and South Carolina, getting a feel on the ground, and has started to build resources."

Allen's fundraising has been fairly strong, and comparative to many of his fellow Senators, he's looking stronger. The question is whether or not he has the prowess to compete on the national scale.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies