Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:57:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone IV - Hungover
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 77
Author Topic: Update for Everyone IV - Hungover  (Read 118847 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: June 30, 2016, 02:17:35 PM »

It was, most surprisingly, a very good day for me.

It won't last long, I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #701 on: June 30, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »

You never know... Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #702 on: June 30, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »

What does it say about me that I'm excited that Crystal Pepsi is coming back?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #703 on: June 30, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »

It's already over. I got no sleep and it's 5.29 AM here.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #704 on: July 01, 2016, 12:40:18 PM »

Those on AAD know my stories, but for make benefit great Atlas forum, here is a brief update on my whereabouts.

Today is my last day as an English teacher in a public primary school (g. 1-5) in Playa del Carmen, Mexico after five months. It has been a remarkable experience, honestly - despite all the sh**t which has happened.

The program, founded by a American émigré, brings down native speakers to teach English in the public schools here. In public, for the crowds, it is a program beneficial to all parties and it is truly fantastic. In reality, the program is a fascinating but dirty mix of money, politics and sex. I don't know all the details, but it's no exaggeration to say that this program only exists because its founder loves money and knows the local politicians, who are happy to use here (she's not a very intelligent person, so I think she's deluding herself into thinking that she has the upper hand in that relationship). Because she's a very unpleasant person and a pathological liar, she treats her interns like sh**t (giving us sh**t pay, sh**t working conditions and sh**t assistance) and in reality cares very very little about the program (usually appearing once a month to keep up appearances). She is a cross between Regina George and Mona-Lisa Saperstein.

For us, to make matters worse, her program expanded to Playa del Carmen just this year, so the conditions are even worse than they are where the program is based (Isla Mujeres). I was a late hire to replace one of three interns who quit on her/got fired within a week or two. With basically no training, I was thrown into the classroom with no idea of what to expect.

Within 3 weeks of arriving, my two initial roommates either got fired or quit, so I was left alone in a house which lacked wifi (another of her lies). One long weekend, I was without electricity because she had forgotten to pay the bill. That was fun. Nevertheless, I believe my boss was worried that I would quit as well following The Power Incident, so I was 'pampered' by moving up a pay grade (to 'coordinator' pay, despite 'coordinating' only myself for a month) and ultimately getting internet installed (the other house never got it). She recently told me that I was her best intern, voted as 'the most proactive' (proactive because I hate waiting on flaky untrustworthy people to do sh**t I can ultimately do myself, even if I'm not responsible for them - i.e. the internet installation). Still, after the 2 interns quit in mid-February, my boss basically went AWOL for a good two months, only to reappear disinterestedly and intermittently since).

Thankfully, the work I did became increasingly rewarding and enriching for me as a person, as I got a real connection with all my students. Five of my twelve classes were grade one, the toughest age to teach a foreign language to, and I dreaded them back in February but now they're the ones I'm gonna miss the most. I am proud of the work I did, and I leave with a genuine feeling that I made a positive impact on over 400 young Mexican children's lives. Today is my last day at school, and I am dreading the painful goodbyes to all my students. The students, in all grades (even the 'tough guys' in the older grades) have been expressing how much they enjoyed English, how much they liked me (I am 'the best teacher in the world') and how much they're going to miss me.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #705 on: July 02, 2016, 12:44:39 AM »

1. Found a skirt. Put it on. Felt pretty and surprisingly comfortable.
2. Did WAY too well on Tetris DS (190 lines, 271k+ points). I can't tell if I'm awake.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #706 on: July 03, 2016, 10:54:36 PM »

Tonight I inadvertently dragged my family to a suburban hipster Catholic church (with a thriving lgbt community!). In spite of the gorgeous Scandinavian architecture, it's safe to say we will not be going back. I literally checked about 12x during mass to ensure it was actually Catholic. Discuss with 15 polls, Brtd.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #707 on: July 03, 2016, 11:01:24 PM »

Tonight I inadvertently dragged my family to a suburban hipster Catholic church (with a thriving lgbt community!). In spite of the gorgeous Scandinavian architecture, it's safe to say we will not be going back. I literally checked about 12x during mass to ensure it was actually Catholic. Discuss with 15 polls, Brtd.
What the hell happened there. Did they forget Agnus Dei or something?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #708 on: July 03, 2016, 11:16:06 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2016, 11:19:46 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

It followed the standard mass, but we kept eyeing each other because something was seriously off about this place. The greeters, the pamphlets (!), the chairs (!!), the Eucharist/lines, the hymns, the altar, the people, even some of the priest's phrasing - felt very non-sectarian. Quite out there, but I guess I like knowing that exists. Not for me though.

Again, the atypical architecture didn't help that perception.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #709 on: July 03, 2016, 11:20:55 PM »

It followed the standard mass, but we kept eyeing each other because something was seriously off about this place. The greeters, the pamphlets (!), the chairs (!!), the Eucharist/lines, the hymns, the altar, the people, even some of the priest's phrasing - felt very non-sectarian. Quite out there, but I guess I like knowing that exists. Not for me though.

Again, the atypical architecture didn't help that perception.

Someone needs you to get acquainted with Protestant services.  It would give you a heart attack.

Especially the "Bible believin' Gospel-preaching" fundamentalist church I go to. Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #710 on: July 04, 2016, 01:37:30 AM »

Just got back from a kickass DEWM concert off a marina, they had The Magnificent Seven theme going (there's always something from an iconic movie being played) as well as Star Trek stuff.

The fireworks were good for the first half, the fog rolled in and ruined the other half.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #711 on: July 04, 2016, 05:28:29 AM »

I had no idea there were Hipster Catholic churches. I bet that blows BRTD's mind as well! Cheesy
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #712 on: July 04, 2016, 09:46:30 AM »

gonna go to a mosque tonight with my arabic class
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #713 on: July 04, 2016, 11:42:20 AM »

While logging into this forum I accidentally typed in my username as "dave leip". Tongue
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #714 on: July 04, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »

I went to a cat cafe for the first time last night.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #715 on: July 04, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »

You're gonna be on a Trump's blacklist. Be careful!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #716 on: July 04, 2016, 12:46:34 PM »

You're gonna be on a Trump's blacklist. Be careful!

Grin
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #717 on: July 04, 2016, 04:53:47 PM »

Happy Independence day, my fellow 'Muricans Cheesy
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #718 on: July 04, 2016, 05:01:19 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2016, 09:10:51 PM by Virginia »

Happy Independence day, my fellow 'Muricans Cheesy

Dang it Sunrise, I was coming here to say Happy 4th! Beat me to it! Hope the day is treating you well.

Happy 4th all my other fellow Atlas compatriots!

Great night by the water
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #719 on: July 04, 2016, 05:18:46 PM »

Howdy y'all, not gonna stick around but just know I'm

A) alive
B) having an almost decent time

I'd appreciate it if at some point someone gave me a general election/forum update, but no rush. Have a great week! Smiley
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #720 on: July 04, 2016, 08:55:00 PM »

Working a 12 hour shift on the 4th of July sucks.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #721 on: July 04, 2016, 09:40:10 PM »

Take your eyes off the road a few seconds to look at the $2.19/gallon (cash) sign on the other side of the street and turn back to find that there are locals crossing in the dead of night (really like 10:00 PM) close to an intersection where you have a green. You break to avoid hitting them, only thinking to use your horn as you slow to a halt; the only reaction is a female local indicating some level of annoyance that I would have any reaction to being forced to stop my vehicle in the middle of the street.

How dare you drive your car on a public road. What are you, some sort of elitist pig?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #722 on: July 04, 2016, 09:44:40 PM »

Man, Cathcon, you motor vehicle operators are absolutely out of control. You should all be shut down until we can figure out what is going on and get a proper system of checks in place to determine which drivers can operate safely.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #723 on: July 04, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »

yeeee murica!

im drunk
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #724 on: July 04, 2016, 10:56:05 PM »

I'm two glasses into my mom's and my second bottle of Traminer/Riesling blend. What'd you have?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies