IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:00:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 48
Author Topic: IL-3 Dem Primary: Election Day!  (Read 81349 times)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: February 05, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »

I think Lipinski is really in trouble. But I also think it depends on who wins the governor race. If Pritzker wins this district, I doubt Lipinski goes anywhere but if Biss wins IL-3, he's toast.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #226 on: February 05, 2018, 07:00:46 PM »

I think Lipinski is really in trouble. But I also think it depends on who wins the governor race. If Pritzker wins this district, I doubt Lipinski goes anywhere but if Biss wins IL-3, he's toast.

Well Bernie Sanders won this District in the 2016 primaries.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #227 on: February 05, 2018, 07:40:11 PM »

Newman can win this primary. No doubt about it.
Is it possible for Lipinski to replicate what Joe Lieberman did in 2006?
No. IL has a sore loser law.
So he would have to organize a massive write-in campaign?

Give it a rest dude. If your friend loses then he is finished. Done. Over. Caput. Finito.
He will be an ex-congressman.
Was just trying to quantify how much was riding on this primary. Newman is an abortionist who doesn't deserve to win.

Uh citation on the claim she’s an abortionist?
DemocraticKing
Rookie

« Reply #228 on: February 05, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »

Well Bernie Sanders won this District in the 2016 primaries.

Because local Latino leaders in the area endorsed Bernie, and the Latino Democratic voting bloc went for Bernie here.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #229 on: February 05, 2018, 07:46:50 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2018, 07:49:47 PM by Southern Deputy Speaker/National Archivist TimTurner »

Give it a rest dude. If your friend loses then he is finished. Done. Over. Caput. Finito.
Was just trying to quantify how much was riding on this primary. Newman is an abortionist who doesn't deserve to win.

She is running a disgustingly pro-abortion campaign and her opponent is a supporter of the unborn who is also simultaneously a Democrat with a good record serving his district. The choice is obvious.
I wouldn't be shocked to see Newman vote to ditch the Hyde Amendment and back federal funding going to abortion-on-demand.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2018, 07:50:55 PM »

I would support that. We need better access to abortions, especially in Republican states that try to limit access.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »

She is running a disgustingly pro-abortion campaign and her opponent is a supporter of the unborn who is also simultaneously a Democrat with a good record serving his district. The choice is obvious.
I wouldn't be shocked to see Newman vote to ditch the Hyde Amendment and back federal funding going to abortion bondsman's.

Lipinski isn't Pro-life. He's just pro-birth. His ridiculous voting record on things like Obamacare and other programs that help those people are indicative of that. Democrats can do much better than someone to the right of Rick Nolan and Tim Walz in this seat.
I don't care about the fact he voted against Obamacare. Pelosi didn't need his vote.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2018, 08:08:44 PM »

I wouldn't be shocked to see Newman vote to ditch the Hyde Amendment and back federal funding going to abortion bondsman's.

Lipinski isn't Pro-life. He's just pro-birth. His ridiculous voting record on things like Obamacare and other programs that help those people are indicative of that. Democrats can do much better than someone to the right of Rick Nolan and Tim Walz in this seat.
I don't care about the fact he voted against Obamacare. Pelosi didn't need his vote.
Also, everyone is conveniently leaving out that Lipinski has repeatedly voted against GOP efforts to repeal Obamacare.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »

I mean, if she does end up winning the primary, doesn't that mean she does deserve to win? It's a bit ridiculous to imply that someone is undeserving of winning simply because you disagree with their positions, if their position is something that is held by a large portion of the population and elected officials.
If one wanted to get pedantic, then they would point out that the Democratic primary voting base =/= the district at large. Lipinski is a better fit for the district at large than Newman.
But besides that, shall all hope of him being reelected be gone, I will absolutely be pulling for her in GE. She's better than the GOP candidate pretty much by default and while she's going to be unable to match Dan's constituent services and skill set, she should be able to bring forth some interesting bills and all that. Still inferior to Dan Lipinski, but then again it's very hard to surpass him and his stalwart record serving the people of the 3rd District.
Also, everyone is conveniently leaving out that Lipinski has repeatedly voted against GOP efforts to repeal Obamacare.
That is something that constitutes a good argument. Exactly the kind of thing that the Lipinski critics will ignore.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2018, 08:25:49 PM »

I mean, if she does end up winning the primary, doesn't that mean she does deserve to win? It's a bit ridiculous to imply that someone is undeserving of winning simply because you disagree with their positions, if their position is something that is held by a large portion of the population and elected officials.
If one wanted to get pedantic, then they would point out that the Democratic primary voting base =/= the district at large. Lipinski is a better fit for the district at large than Newman.
But besides that, shall all hope of him being reelected be gone, I will absolutely be pulling for her in GE. She's better than the GOP candidate pretty much by default and while she's going to be unable to match Dan's constituent services and skill set, she should be able to bring forth some interesting bills and all that. Still inferior to Dan Lipinski, but then again it's very hard to surpass him and his stalwart record serving the people of the 3rd District.

Why is that? I'm curious as to your reasoning.
Dan's just so darn good at it. It's not completely impossible, I guess. But it's extremely hard of a benchmark to meet.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #235 on: February 06, 2018, 05:55:52 AM »

If you Google 'Marie Newman abortion' then this thread appears in the results. Lol.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2018, 08:07:24 AM »

I wouldn't be shocked to see Newman vote to ditch the Hyde Amendment and back federal funding going to abortion-on-demand.
Stop making me like her even more.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »

The Romeoville train station that opened this week NEVER would have happened with an innerective congressperson like Marie Newman.  Thank you Congressman Lipinski for bringing home the bacon!
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2018, 02:13:56 PM »

This does feel like one of the few spots in the country where a Kombucha Party primary could win. Newman isn't a crazy, at least not on the level of most of the challengers.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #239 on: February 06, 2018, 02:34:28 PM »

I don't think it'll be tied that closely — there will be plenty of Pritzker/Newman voters, especially among union voters who don't trust Biss. The IFT, for instance, has endorsed both Newman and Pritzker.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #240 on: February 06, 2018, 02:42:42 PM »

Stop making me like her even more.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »

The Chicago Tribune endorsed Lipinski, as does the Chicago Sun-Times.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/editorials/ct-edit-ushouse2-republicans-democrats-congress-20180212-story.html

https://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/chicago-3rd-congressional-district-democratic-primary-endorsement-2018-illinois-primary/
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #242 on: February 19, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »

I've never seen incumbents endorse a primary opponent so easily, he must be a jerk or something.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #243 on: February 19, 2018, 03:07:31 PM »

Last week, Newman got $400,000 in support from a Super PAC in the form of television ads, Lipinski got $40,000

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/super-pac-jumps-in-to-bolster-newman-over-lipinski/

Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #244 on: February 19, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »

Write-in Republican Tom Stepp is running in November.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »

I hope Republicans in the district write in Lipinski. I am beginning to think Newman is the favorite here.

Why would they do that when a REAL conservative already runs as a Republican?
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2018, 05:53:04 PM »

I hope Republicans in the district write in Lipinski. I am beginning to think Newman is the favorite here.

Why would they do that when a REAL conservative already runs as a Republican?
You mean GOP candidate Tom Stepp?
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2018, 04:22:09 PM »

Newman is endorsed by a teachers' union and Kirsten Gillibrand. Even more of a reason for me to support Lipinski.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2018, 04:01:44 PM by Gass3268 »

$413,000 dropped in the first ads against Lipinski:

Equality

Defund
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp