The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 11:24:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 86
Author Topic: The Oldiesfreak Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts III  (Read 211129 times)
rejectamenta
Botswana

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: December 17, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »

Moral of the story: do not capitalize opeob
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1351 on: December 17, 2013, 04:37:17 PM »

Actually, the gal looks like being a feminist. Just the type that potentially hates opebo. Said this, some personality cults on here still shock me. It's just Atlas.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1352 on: December 17, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »

The leftist love for Opebo is something I cannot comprehend. I'd expect it (and forgive it) in someone like Lief, but for other people, I honestly don't get it.....
because he's funny? if not as frequently as his teenage fan club thinks if you noticed the music pun there, sorry i couldn't resist
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1353 on: December 17, 2013, 04:45:21 PM »

Right now - right after The Media's bad Obamacare coverage - I think we're at "peak right." How will this race look once more people start benefiting from the ACA?
What's really interesting is that Obama is still as popular as he is in Kentucky. I guarantee you that a lot of the disapprovals for Obama are from the left.
Besides, people aren't actually going to admit voting for Romney. At least Obama's supporters usually admit who they voted for.

I don't usually post here very often, but this guy is seriously bad. I haven't seen a good 3 posts in a row where he isn't being a complete hack.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1354 on: December 17, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »

The leftist love for Opebo is something I cannot comprehend. I'd expect it (and forgive it) in someone like Lief, but for other people, I honestly don't get it.....

Because he's hilarious and has a unique wit all his own.  His use of the English language has actually been somewhat influential to me.  I'm certainly more well-spoken after years of reading his posts on here.  

Politically, you can tell he's smart and "gets it" when it comes to many subjects.  

Finally, I will have a soft spot for just about anybody as anti-religion as he is.  
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1355 on: December 17, 2013, 04:52:18 PM »

Right now - right after The Media's bad Obamacare coverage - I think we're at "peak right." How will this race look once more people start benefiting from the ACA?
What's really interesting is that Obama is still as popular as he is in Kentucky. I guarantee you that a lot of the disapprovals for Obama are from the left.
Besides, people aren't actually going to admit voting for Romney. At least Obama's supporters usually admit who they voted for.

I don't usually post here very often, but this guy is seriously bad. I haven't seen a good 3 posts in a row where he isn't being a complete hack.

I was about to post that. Especially #2.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1356 on: December 17, 2013, 05:13:53 PM »

I was about to post that. Especially #2.

Bandit is easily among our best posters. Absolutely a riot.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1357 on: December 17, 2013, 06:06:59 PM »

Bandit used to bug me, but now I just find him amusingly pleasant.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1358 on: December 17, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »

I agree. I like most of his posts, but #2 was absurd even for his standards.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1359 on: December 17, 2013, 07:12:21 PM »

I agree. I like most of his posts, but #2 was absurd even for his standards.

Yes, which is why it belongs in the Goldmine, not here.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1360 on: December 17, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »

obviously. the right stuff is basically a more pretentious /pol/, but this article on the topic i thought was pretty good:

http://therightstuff.biz/2013/06/17/bulbasaur-on-the-american-caste-system/

rly creeped out by mint now tbh

that link brings you to some scary stuff
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #1361 on: December 17, 2013, 10:08:04 PM »

I know it's krazen, but this one's pretty low even for his standards, and I think deserving of public ridicule.

The conflict surrounds the scarce resources of the public treasury and freedom.

This is horribly written as an English sentence.

Not horribly written, tho it could be more clearly organized to make clear whether what was meant was:
   ♦   The conflict surrounds freedom and the scarce resources of the public treasury.
  or
   ♦   The conflict surrounds the scarce resources of the public treasury and of freedom.

One of the differences between reactionaries and progressives is reactionaries usually view freedom as something that not everyone can have while progressives generally view freedom as something that truly can be enjoyed by all.  Hence, krazen likely did mean the latter, but only he can say for certain.

What a interesting theory. The modern progressive subscribes to this standard.

Anakin: "We need a system where the politicians sit down and discuss the problem.  Agree what's in the best interests of all the people, and do it."
Padme: "That's exactly what they do, the trouble is that people don't always agree."
Anakin: "Then they should be made to."
Padme: "By whom?  Who's going to make them?"
Anakin: "I don't know.  Someone."
Padme: "You?"
Anakin: "Of course not me!"
Padme: "Then someone...?"
Anakin: "Someone wise."
Padme: "That sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me."
Anakin: "Well... if it works..."

I suspect you get freedom in accordance with their definition of freedom. It's very cute.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1362 on: December 17, 2013, 10:10:42 PM »

Of course, only a genius like George Lucas could accurately paraphrase our times in his acclaimed masterwork.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1363 on: December 18, 2013, 08:25:53 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2013, 08:29:10 AM by Flawless Victory »

Read the bolded part.

Plenty of non Wasps reached great heights well before slavery was even thought to be abolished.  Charles Carroll was Catholic, the founder of the US Navy, John Barry, was an Irish Catholic, the first Speaker a German Lutheran, the 7th President poor white trash with Ulster roots, Alexander Hamilton a bastard from the Caribbean, countless others made great fortunes in industry. Maybe some weren't the invited to all the right clubs but their ascendancy was an outside possibility. Class is and always will be a factor but you simply can't re-frame history like this.

But how good is class mobility over particular times in history? Does that factor into ethnic and race relations?

Class mobility is high in a frontier society (so long as one is not a slave, which makes a huge difference between the frontier in Michigan and the frontier in Mississippi). There was a huge difference in the 1840s between getting a section of land that was 640 acres of prime farmland and one that was 560 acres of lake and 80 acres of swamp in the land-grab lottery.  That of course is extreme. Texas under Mexican rule wasn't too bad until Santa Ana became a tyrant, which may help the theory.

The Dutch and French Huguenots who formed a bare majority of the population of the Hudson Valley were overwhelmed in sheer numbers -- but assimilated around the time of the American Revolution. The German population of southeastern Pennsylvania, Maryland, and the Shenandoah Valley experienced much the same.

Religious bigotry has rarely been a significant factor in large-scale American politics. It has usually imploded quickly as a political influence.    

But given pbrower's postings, I'm not at all surprised that he believes this.  He also probably believes that the New York Redistricting plan in 1894 by pro-equality Republicans was to prevent the state from falling into the hands of corrupt bureaucrats and not a blatant power grab designed to disadvantage urban voters.  Or that saloon regulation was actually aimed at keeping crime low and had nothing to do with alcohol being served there.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1364 on: December 20, 2013, 06:37:38 AM »

Civil War, although I'm divided here as to which side I would have backed (I don't like slavery, though I also like states' rights)

wat
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1365 on: December 20, 2013, 08:30:40 AM »

Context:

I assume that the UK is involved in this pathetic display of innapropriate self-righteousness. If so, its a ridiculous thing to do.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1366 on: December 20, 2013, 08:55:36 AM »

Context:

I assume that the UK is involved in this pathetic display of innapropriate self-righteousness. If so, its a ridiculous thing to do.

'Tis a fair cop. I went over the top. Apologies.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1367 on: December 20, 2013, 10:17:20 AM »

1968 Presidential Election:

Governor Oldiesfreak1854 (R-MI)/Senator ElectionsGuy (R-WI) - 284 EVs
Senator Snowstalker (D-PA)/Governor Adam C. FitzGerald (D-OH) - 254 EVs

Dixie ultimately costs the Democrats in the race the election. Despite unpopularity of the War in Vietnam and an outgoing incumbent Democratic President, Snowstalker and A. FitzGerald become doves on foreign policy promising a full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Vietnam and remain competitive up north while holding a number of southern states. However, still angry over the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, the deep south turns against the social Democrats and turn to the more socially conservative Republican Governor of Michigan, Oldiesfreak.

The South was already moving toward Republicans before the civil rights legislation.  And you seriously think white racists would vote for me?

SKIP
Any of you who know my political views know that this map is comical.  And after World War II, a lot of people began moving into the South from places that had been more Republican, and they brought those politics with them.  Not to mention the influence of anti-communism and religious conservatives.  Race had very little to do with it.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1368 on: December 20, 2013, 11:15:54 AM »

Doesn't he lead a really terrible theocracy?

Uh, no.  He doesn't have a country to lead. 

Thank God. The Communist takeover of Tibet was the best thing that ever happened to them.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1369 on: December 20, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »

Doesn't he lead a really terrible theocracy?

Uh, no.  He doesn't have a country to lead. 

Thank God. The Communist takeover of Tibet was the best thing that ever happened to them.

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1370 on: December 20, 2013, 11:22:10 AM »

Pre-1950 Tibet was not great, but there was no justification for the brutal Maoist tyranny or the attempted annihilation of Tibetan culture. 
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1371 on: December 20, 2013, 09:56:03 PM »

Context:

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1372 on: December 20, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »

Also,

It's actually too bad the country still isn't run from Westminister.

These sorts of threads tend to bring out the closet racism that pervades a large chunk of white liberals.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1373 on: December 20, 2013, 10:07:57 PM »

These sorts of threads tend to bring out the closet racism that pervades a large chunk of white liberals.

...you're right, but I wouldn't make this kind of comments just yet if I were you. Think Jake bashing Libertarians. Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1374 on: December 21, 2013, 09:39:41 AM »

Things that might be fun to requote in reply at a later time (and most certainly qualify for this):

I'm sure all the people that lost their jobs and can't pay for their medical treatment anymore or have zero access to insurance even if they wanted to pay for it will appreciate your principled, Randian stance at the ripe age of 16.

And I'm sure they'd appreciate the lottery system-based healthcare overhaul that you're proposing that has produced cases in which patients are told to wait months for anything from routine check ups to life-altering procedures. I'm also sure they'd appreciate the vast expansion of Government that comes along with it because, you know, free healthcare comes with a price.

But I'm sure if they waited long enough, they would die, no? I'll admit that I do reserve some belief that the Government may be able to provide healthcare, but I can't agree with the principle of letting the modern United States Government do it. It is my firm belief that when Government gets involved, sh*t gets f**ked up (see handling of the auto companies, banks, wars, etc.) So while I believe that the idea of universal healthcare is noble and reasonably practical idea, I cannot trust the modern Government to do it. Maybe we could see reform in which the Government only provides care to those who can't afford it, but still allow some aspect of a free market-based system? All in all, I believe we must keep the free market in play in this area. It is crucial. I support the idea of universal healthcare, but I cannot support its implementation into the modern United States.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies