Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 07:04:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 75
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls  (Read 145795 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: November 29, 2017, 05:37:56 PM »

Remember Nate Silver's rule "When the conventional wisdom tries to outguess the polls, it almost always guesses in the wrong direction." Everyone thinks that there's a bunch of 'shy Moore' voters, even though there's no evidence for this and there never were shy Trump voters. It's also very possible the polls are underrating Jones.

One more thing to consider is that most of the firms that have polled this race have been inconsistent, complete garbage, or both. Fox News has been the only reputable pollster in Alabama for the last month.

In any case, my final verdict on the race is this: I refuse to believe any of the polling, be it in Moore's direction or Jones', and will only buy into the final results. And even if my instinct that Jones will win is proven wrong, IceSpear will still be trash. Smiley

So your final verdict is burying your head in the sand, then digging the hole even deeper if you're proven wrong? How Trumpian.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1251 on: November 29, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »

Remember Nate Silver's rule "When the conventional wisdom tries to outguess the polls, it almost always guesses in the wrong direction." Everyone thinks that there's a bunch of 'shy Moore' voters, even though there's no evidence for this and there never were shy Trump voters. It's also very possible the polls are underrating Jones.

True, but I'm afraid of the polls being right and there being no polling error, which is why I'm cautiously going to say that the race is lean Moore.

That being said, it's possible that millennials are being systemically underpolled, which would have the effect of underselling Jones' position compared to reality. In addition, the re-enfranchisement of some felons might have a slight effect on the race, and it would be difficult to detect that vote.

On the flipside of the coin, it's possible that the angry white senior vote is being overpolled compared to what actually happens in the election. In JMC, for instance, middle aged people and the young supported Moore by a decent margin, whilst seniors supported Moore. This shows the result was potentially skewed because half of the sample was senior, which is probably not going to borne out by the results.

Also:

One more thing to consider is that most of the firms that have polled this race have been inconsistent, complete garbage, or both. Fox News has been the only reputable pollster in Alabama for the last month.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #1252 on: November 29, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »

I must have missed when white christians were subjected to slavery in America

They have, in fact, been subjected to slavery (by Muslims, specifically). It may not have happened in America, but it did happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1253 on: November 29, 2017, 06:24:59 PM »

Just when you thought it couldn't get more insane:

Roy Moore co-authored legal course that argues women should not be permitted to run for office
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1254 on: November 29, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »

And yet despite this and being a sexual predator/pedophile, he still will get at least 40% of the women vote. Some people are just hopeless.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #1255 on: November 29, 2017, 06:28:11 PM »

It's like he's trying to lose the female vote two-to-one.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1256 on: November 29, 2017, 06:35:59 PM »

When Michelle Bachmann ran for president, I remember that some journalist who covered the Republican primary encountered many Republican women who said that they liked her and her politics, but wouldn't vote for her because "women aren't capable of being president".
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1257 on: November 29, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »

AL.com has published an impassioned open letter to Moore from his first accuser, Leigh Corfman:

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/11/roy_moore_leigh_corfman_accuse.html
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1258 on: November 29, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »

When Michelle Bachmann ran for president, I remember that some journalist who covered the Republican primary encountered many Republican women who said that they liked her and her politics, but wouldn't vote for her because "women aren't capable of being president".

Ann Coulter and Phyllis Schlafly are/were also against women's suffrage.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1259 on: November 29, 2017, 06:41:37 PM »

Ann Coulter and Phyllis Schlafly are/were also against women's suffrage.

I'm all for Coulter not voting.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1260 on: November 29, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »

Alabama SoS says interest in write-in voting has been "extraordinary".
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #1261 on: November 29, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »

Now that's interesting.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1262 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:48 PM »

Before you can teach Alabama voters how to write-in a name, you have to teach them about how to write.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1263 on: November 29, 2017, 07:04:32 PM »

Have seen it suggested he’ll take more votes from Jones, but that could be wishful thinking/pessimism.
I doubt he gets more than 1-2% of the vote. He should have no impact on the race.

Um, that's enough to swing a close race, and at least this should be close. Whether that's enough.

It'll hurt Moore. This guy is a staunch conservative Republican and touts himself as such. There are plenty more voters who can't bring themselves to to vote for a Democrat but would gladly take the opportunity to vote for a non-pedophile standard Alabama right wing Republican instead of Moore, than there are conservative Republicans so disgusted with Moore they'd vote for a Democrat like Jones, only to still switch to writing in a standard southern right winger if given the chance.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1264 on: November 29, 2017, 07:44:37 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2017, 07:47:35 PM by L.D. Smith, Aggie! It's Real Expenses Again »

You guys still have two weeks of this, pace yourselves at least.

I still remember the sh**tstorm that happened here with the Gillespie polls. Good lord.

If anything Jones is the Gillespie here though.

More like the Jason Kander methinks.

And just for the record, I didn't think Gillespie would win, I simply figured it'd look more like Herring v. Obenshain in 2013 rather than the blowout it turned out to be.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1265 on: November 29, 2017, 08:23:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

These people are deranged. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1266 on: November 29, 2017, 08:28:23 PM »

I think he should be more worried about his multiple victims' family members than Al-Qaeda.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1267 on: November 29, 2017, 08:29:58 PM »

Why would al Qaeda care about Roy Moore?
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1268 on: November 29, 2017, 08:31:15 PM »

They have alot in common
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1269 on: November 29, 2017, 08:37:33 PM »

You know what y’all can do with your moral judgements of Moore voters. I just want to scream whatabouts.  I don’t have to lay them out.  Before you go into your neighbors house to insist he clean up his mess, clean up your own first.  You just cannot grasp that concept.

I expect the Senate will investigate whether Moore was lying to the voters of Alabama.  The yearbook will be the center of attention.  The question will then be whether Gloria tried to pull a fast one for publicity. If the yearbook notation is fradulant, Moore is safe.  If it is legit, he is toast.  If it is 1/2 & 1/2, it is anyone’s guess.

Thank Gloria for the current situation.

What does this even mean? This is a mess of a post, once again.

"Cleaning up our own mess" – what? If you're referring to Franken, nearly every D-avatar on this forum has called for his resignation, and a decent amount of Democrats did too. As for Conyers, I also believe he should resign.

Just because there are sexual harassers in the Democratic Party does not give the Republican Party or Alabama voters carte blanche to elect a pedophile.

When you yell "both sides" you don't actually make anything better. You end up justifying the status quo. Guess who loses? The women (and men) who are abused and exploited by these people in power. But who keep getting reelected.  

Stop trying to blame a lawyer for your own hackish beliefs. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I had lunch with a Presbyterian minister today. We live in the Arkansas delta.  So we cannot vote. However he expressed the view that Someone should be foregiven foractions that occurred 40 .years ago with no evidence of similar actions since that time.  I asked if the first 4 women were telling the truth, why his denial was not a lie, that would disqualify him?  He said Moore might have said it under pressure and there was no proof of lying.  He did say if notation in the yearbook was proven to be his, that would be disqualifying.

That is why Gloria’s notebook has become so important.  If you do not understand, I cannot educate you any further. Gloria made it validation issue.

Maybe you can judge someone else morality.  But do you think that wii change anyone’s mind.  Or, does it just give you a sense of superiority to a bunch of hicks.  Does it make you feel good.  Might it not be better to just tell them you think they wrong.  But I guess your jollies are more important.

Methinks you need to re-read Matthew 7:15
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #1270 on: November 29, 2017, 09:37:59 PM »

So, I Find out stamping out whataboutism is a leftist conspiracy.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/george-korda/2017/11/29/dont-silenced-whataboutism-silencing-tactic/906484001/

What about
What about

I thought only Fox New had sexists.  Surprise!  Liberals going

As I have said clean up your own house first before you call names.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #1271 on: November 29, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »

So, I Find out stamping out whataboutism is a leftist conspiracy.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/opinion/columnists/george-korda/2017/11/29/dont-silenced-whataboutism-silencing-tactic/906484001/

What about
What about

I thought only Fox New had sexists.  Surprise!  Liberals going

As I have said clean up your own house first before you call names.

The dems have just forced the most senior democrat in the House into retirement over his sex scandals: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=278531.0

I say an eye for an eye seems fair. Dems took out one of their own, now it's time for you guys to keep Moore out of office.
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #1272 on: November 29, 2017, 09:45:11 PM »

Just like Clayburn who said Conyers’ accusers are like the white woman who killed her children and blamed a black man. Yep what about.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1273 on: November 29, 2017, 09:52:55 PM »

Just like Clayburn who said Conyers’ accusers are like the white woman who killed her children and blamed a black man. Yep what about.

Clyburn, not Clayburn. With that correction made, it doesn't matter what other people are saying about other situations. Moore has far more support than Conyers does at this point. "Such and such say/did" is not a valid argument. Two wrongs do not make a right.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1274 on: November 29, 2017, 10:02:28 PM »

My defense for murder is "another guy murdered someone too!"

The prosecution tells me that's whataboutism, but the judge shuts him down, saying it's "just a lib tactic to silence the oppressed white Christian majority."

I'm found not guilty, a bald eagle flies into the courtroom, etc. etc.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies